PDA

View Full Version : Protecting knees

riversinn
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Would it help to wear knee bands, such as the Nike Patella, to prevent future injuries to your knees. Thinking I might have 20-30 years of playing ahead of me and want to do what I can to protect myself playing on those hard courts several times a week. I see some folks wear them and think it might help reduce stress over the long haul. I have no problems now and would like to keep it that way.

Gemini
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I think this thread belongs in the Health/Fitness section, but to answer your question the patella straps you see people wearing is mainly designed to relieve pain by taking pressure off of the patella tendon. I've heard that they can help with knee tracking/alignment as well.

I've never known anyone to wear them as a preventive measure against injury. Only as a measure to prevent further injury.

Slicendicer
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Strengthen your knees by riding recumbent bike. Or something as simple as standing flat back against a wall, slowly squat until your knees are 90 degrees, hold for 15 seconds. Do 3 sets of 5 a couple of times a week.

jmverdugo
01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Knee bands are really good to releive the pain and give support, I guess one could use them as a preventive measurement but I would with the strengthen of the knees. I actually use them on both knees because I had a severe case of jumper's knee on Nov last year but i will do what slicedier wrote just to see if I can get rid of the bands.

Slicendicer
01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Would it help to wear knee bands, such as the Nike Patella, to prevent future injuries to your knees. Thinking I might have 20-30 years of playing ahead of me and want to do what I can to protect myself playing on those hard courts several times a week. I see some folks wear them and think it might help reduce stress over the long haul. I have no problems now and would like to keep it that way.

Some good, long stretching and ice after a match will work wonders...

NetMaster70
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Protect your knees by playing clay (if you can) rather than hardcourt. It makes a big difference.

riversinn
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Clay would be great but there isn't a clay court within 150 miles from where I live so I am looking at protecting myself long term on hard court. That is why I thought the knee bands might help to reduce stress over the long haul. I have no knee issues now... just trying to think ahead. I am about 50 and see many 60-70 year olds with knee issues and wondered had they given their knees the extra support would it make a difference over the many years they have been playing.

Thanks for all the replies!

blakesq
01-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Stay off your knees! Silly.

wao
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Clay would be great but there isn't a clay court within 150 miles from where I live so I am looking at protecting myself long term on hard court. That is why I thought the knee bands might help to reduce stress over the long haul. I have no knee issues now... just trying to think ahead. I am about 50 and see many 60-70 year olds with knee issues and wondered had they given their knees the extra support would it make a difference over the many years they have been playing.

Thanks for all the replies!I am in the over 40 group as well. In the last three years I have had both ACL's repaired. Part of the rehab is strenghting all the stabelizing muscles around the knee besides the larger muscles ( Quad/Hamstring and calf's). Squats/lunges/Hamstring curls/ calf raises work and there are numerious ways to do these.
Wayne

Jim A
01-29-2009, 01:57 PM
as long as your knee is tracking correctly they won't have a function.

being someone that uses them on occasion having osteo in one knee and a meniscus tear in another, i don't see how they would be preventative for you...it would be like wearing a tennis elbow brace yet not having te