PDA

View Full Version : is 2 weeks enough time to change grips?

late start!
01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
I currently have a western forehand grip. I get good consistency with my current grip but it always lands near the service box with not much pace. If i try to hit it closer to the baseline i can but my shot is kinda lobbed. I can't hit a winner to save my life. I was thinking about switching to a grip inbetween semi-western and western or a semi-western grip but my friend said that it would take a while to get good at it and we've only got 2 weeks before season starts. So should i stick with my current grip or switch?

Headshotterer
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
i went from eastern to SW in one week, and it works fine and now i can hit both styles

LeeD
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Remember, you HAVE to swing harder with SW or W grip compared to Eastern. If you're prepared to swing less violently, you can switch now and hope your game is not too grooved to make the change in two weeks.
Don't know what level you are.
Me, I went from eastern TO SW because I had boundless energy and too much nervous energy. It's been like 15 years now, and it's still not as strong overall as my old Eastern forehand :confused::confused:

a-naik.1
01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
i used to hit full western, SW is easier to gain access to flatter shots and top spin..i'm glad i made the switch.

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Of course it can be done, but you have to be willing to put in the work. It's not easy to get used to a change like that, so you need to commit to the new grip, despite the silly errors, shanks into the back fence, etc.

When you first try the semi western I can guarantee that you will hit almost every ball into the net. Focus on using your legs to really get under the ball.

late start!
01-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Well actually, the problem I'm having is just the opposite haha When i try to hit with semi-western, the ball always goes sailing into the air and to the right. Everytime.

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Well actually, the problem I'm having is just the opposite haha When i try to hit with semi-western, the ball always goes sailing into the air and to the right. Everytime.

If you're hitting too far to the right then you're obviously catching the ball late, assuming that you're right handed, of course. Try forcing yourself to swing a bit earlier than you normally would. Also, make sure that you're not getting jammed and hitting too close to your body. This is a recipe for a late forehand every time. When your arm is jammed up against your body, your racquet head speed goes down the tubes and you'll catch it late with very little power more often than not.

Make sure that the racquet face is closed throughout your entire back-swing. It will only open to where it is more of less perpendicular to the ground after you drop the racquet head down, using the natural forces of gravity, or as Bungalo Bill puts it, after you "pat the dog on the head".

Keep the wrist in a neutral position throughout the back-swing to insure elasticity in the wrist. Leave your non hitting arm parallel to the net as long as possible. Don't worry, you won't smack it with your racquet or anything. Your natural rotation as you begin your forward swing will force you to tuck it in as a result of what you have done up until this point.

From here on the wrist simply lays back as you open the left hip and rotate your entire body into the ball.

late start!
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
i have a western grip right now.

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
You need to pick one and stick with it. I'm sorry, but the fact that you've already changed your tune after only starting this thread yesterday just tells me that you aren't willing to work on a certain thing long enough to be successful with it.

late start!
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
You need to pick one and stick with it. I'm sorry, but the fact that you've already changed your tune after only starting this thread yesterday just tells me that you aren't willing to work on a certain thing long enough to be successful with it.

wtf are you talking about... in my original post I said i had a western grip and was thinking of changing to a semi-western or inbetween semi and full western. I never said i had a eastern grip.:confused:

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
wtf are you talking about... in my original post I said i had a western grip and was thinking of changing to a semi-western or inbetween semi and full western. I never said i had a eastern grip.:confused:

Wow, I'm really sorry about that. All this talk of eastern forehand grips has gone to my head, apparently. :)

In that case it makes perfect sense that you are hitting your shots too high. Look at what I wrote about catching the ball late, not opening up the racquet face too much, etc. I really think it can help you. If not, tell me, and we'll see if we can get to the route of the problem.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

late start!
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
hah, it's alright, don't worry about it. but so i should try to hit the ball when it's further out in front than i do with a western grip? i'll try tomorrow.

late start!
01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
also i guess my other option is sticking with my western grip and learning to hit through the ball more. i feel like i brush up on the ball way too much but i can't help it haha. so would it be better to switch or keep practicing the western?

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
hah, it's alright, don't worry about it. but so i should try to hit the ball when it's further out in front than i do with a western grip? i'll try tomorrow.

Well, obviously I haven't seen your game in person, but I don't think you should hit further out in front then you did with your full western. I was referring to your problems with hitting wide right every time. Unless your left handed of course. If so, then I owe you yet another apology. :)

Typically a full western grip actually forces you to take the ball further out in front than with a semi western, but obviously something happens when you try to hit with a SW that is causing you to catch it late every time. Like I said earlier, I haven't seen your game, so I have no idea what could be causing this.

You don't have access to a video camera, by any chance, do you? It can be a real eye opener when it comes to accessing one's game.

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 10:02 PM
also i guess my other option is sticking with my western grip and learning to hit through the ball more. i feel like i brush up on the ball way too much but i can't help it haha. so would it be better to switch or keep practicing the western?

Yes, this is a valid option as well. How long have you been hitting with a western? If it's been a while then you're probably best off going for this method rather than wasting valuable time rebuilding a new forehand. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm an expert on the western forehand, or anything, for that matter, but you can find a ton of great information in this section about hitting flatter with a western grip.

Also, I would advise that you take a look at Djokovic's forehand. He really flattens it out on a regular basis. Watch his incredible extension up and away from the body after contact. This is absolutely key to a powerful forehand. Many players get all hung up on the "windshield wiper" concept, or "brushing the ball", and are left with a horribly underpowered forehand that drops short time and again, just begging to be clobbered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsQ8gZLWyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq09yHPmKh0

And last, but not least, the UBER flat forehand! Certainly not recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8F7fdOKZNw

late start!
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
i do, it's not great but i'll try to get a vid of both my current western forehand and me hitting with a semi-western this weekend when i have time

late start!
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, this is a valid option as well. How long have you been hitting with a western? If it's been a while then you're probably best off going for this method rather than wasting valuable time rebuilding a new forehand. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm an expert on the western forehand, or anything, for that matter, but you can find a ton of great information in this section about hitting flatter with a western grip.

Also, I would advise that you take a look at Djokovic's forehand. He really flattens it out on a regular basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsQ8gZLWyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AJYfkJ4hc&feature=related

I've been playing since late-september/early-october. At first I only played maybe once or twice (at the most) a week cause I couldn't find a hitting partner. But now that the season is about to start, everyone wants to start hitting again so for the past week I've been able to practice Mon.,Tues., and Wed.

Personally, I like the western grip, but from a strategic standpoint it seems to be more advantageous since my forehand right now has no pace and whenever I get a low slice to my forehand, I have to reach down and end up completely lobbing the shot.

late start!
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
by more advantageous, i was referring to the semi-western. sorry for the multi-posts, i don't know how to edit my post ha

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
You need 50 posts to achieve editing capabilities. Weird, I know.

You are still a beginner player, more or less, so it's a toss up what the correct choice would be for you at this time. I guess in the end it's up to you, plain and simple. Just make sure to really work hard on whatever method you decide on. I'll do my best to help you as best I can along the way.

Talk to you tomorrow hopefully.

LeeD
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Djoko...
Notice the whole time you were totally confused and not comprehending the OP's post, I did NOT chime in and say how dumb you are !!:shock::shock:
Admit it, which you did.... you were confused!
Now consider my posts. If you don't understand what I'm saying, you shouldn't chime in and say it's wrong or not applicable.
I didn't jump on your case because I KNOW you are sincerely trying to help the OP.
Did you even read my post?
Sometimes, if you don't understand something, it's better to stay out of it rather than telegraph your complete lack of knowledge.

late start!
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, I tried to get used to the SW today and i got used to it relatively fast. I had to play with the wall cause everyone was busy today but over the weekend, i have a couple of hitting partners. The thing i found difficult with the SW tho was that I had to control my shots a lot, whereas with the western, it seems i could swing as hard as i want and it'd still land in. It's kinda hard to resist ripping it everytime ha

LeeD
01-30-2009, 04:47 PM
That's what I mentioned my post!
Going from W to SW, you gotta moderate your swing speed, which for some younger, more energetic players is hard to do in pressure points.
Sometimes, it's easier to hit all out rather than conserve energy and guide the ball into the opponent's court.
Still your choice, if you're finding it's hard to moderate your stroke, go more towards full Western but swing tru fully each and every stroke.

[K]aotic
01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
I currently have a western forehand grip. I get good consistency with my current grip but it always lands near the service box with not much pace. If i try to hit it closer to the baseline i can but my shot is kinda lobbed. I can't hit a winner to save my life. I was thinking about switching to a grip inbetween semi-western and western or a semi-western grip but my friend said that it would take a while to get good at it and we've only got 2 weeks before season starts. So should i stick with my current grip or switch?

I think a huge part about your shots landing short is not your grip, but technique. Without a good extension, you won't be hitting the ball much deeper with a semi-western grip. The reason people find that a semi-western gives them more drive is because the grip forces them to extend out more, resulting in a deeper shot that goes through the court more.

halalula1234
01-31-2009, 03:59 AM
yep...

i have went from 2 handed fh to 1 handed fh eastern grip
eastern fh to semi western fh
semi western fh to extreme eastern
extreme eastern to eastern (using right now and prob for a long time)

for bh i went from 2 handed which i never been able to hit and always ended up lobbing it to a 1 handed eastern
1 handed eastern to now the 1 handed western grip.

but all these happends over many years but my Fh changed grip a few weeks ago and its extreme eastern to normal eastern which is subtle and not much different so i dnt have much prob.

dherring
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Two weeks really isnt long, it took me a month to change from Eastern to SW but its different for different people. You said you were consistent with your current grip so if i were in your situation I would play with a western for tryouts and maybe make a couple more manageable changes like hitting through it more and really turning your shoulders to get more racquet-head speed, thats just my opinion