PDA

View Full Version : Alright. Tryouts are on Monday. Any last advice?

KBlade
01-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I've been training for a while now. The past two weeks I've been doing nothing but playing matches with a friend ranked high up in varsity singles. I love pace, but I need to improve on my consistency. My friend said today was the best tennis I've ever played before I hit with about 75% power and focused on consistency, as opposed to 100% balls-to-the-wall death strokes. I make unforced errors during long rallies when I lose focus. Rallies are my "moment", and if any non-"moment" thoughts come into my head, I lose. So I need to work on my concentration.

I still get frustrated when I play pushers. I've played quite a few of those as well. I won some and lost some. I realized that the biggest key to winning against them is the serve. When I drop bombs, they're never returned. This frustrated the pusher and I just have to help him self-destruct by being consistent and making them lose through unforced errors.

Another thing I learned: Strings. Between points I stare at my strings, analyze and observe them. Touch them. It relieves stress and maintains focus on what matters. Sounds crazy but it works...

Any other tips you guys have? This will be the first year I'm trying out (I'm a senior). Lots of varsity peeps say I'll make it high up, but I often don't believe I can win. Therefore I lose. But lately I've really been believing and it's done wonders for my game.

Master Flow
01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
1.)Believe in your self
2.) exhale on your shots (stress reliever & improves consistancy)
3.)move your feet
not in that order (thats how they poped into my mind)

Nellie
01-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Try this out if you are having trouble with your concentration - I read thhis in Tennis magazine and it really helps me out. Try to loop back to the middle of the court at least three shots in a rally before you go for a more agressive shot (harder angle and/or more pace). I bet most of your competitors will not want to go three hits and will hit errors. When you are taking pace off the ball, try to hit with a shorter backswing, but a full stoke follow through (or you will start stabbing and poking at the ball).

W Cats
01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
I still get frustrated when I play pushers. I've played quite a few of those as well. I won some and lost some. I realized that the biggest key to winning against them is the serve. When I drop bombs, they're never returned. This frustrated the pusher and I just have to help him self-destruct by being consistent and making them lose through unforced errors.

Come up with a backup game plan if your serve should go south because of windy conditions, pusher that can block your serves, loss of confidence, etc..

Rallies are my "moment", and if any non-"moment" thoughts come into my head, I lose. So I need to work on my concentration.

Give some thought to why do non-moments thoughts creep in and make adjustments. For example; if your natural tendency is a 100% balls-to-the-wall death strokes player and monotony sets in at hitting 75% pace, do something else to juice up your brain, try to mix up the spin, height ,etc.. to keep that brain challenged to something other than the big hitters version of PONG.

Jsa2u
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
let us know the results!