PDA

View Full Version : Improve net clearance. Anyone know of a tool you can add to net to increase height??

makey98
01-30-2009, 06:16 AM
I am trying to really work on consistency of my groundstrokes and I am trying to add more net clearance for my basic rally groundstroke. I get away with hitting the ball down and flat for winners, but it hurts my consistency. I was thinking of a string or net that you can affix to the net as a visual and practice aid. Sometimes I start out hitting higher and deep at 75% power but then i crank it up and hit it flatter without thinking about it. Basically I am looking for net extender if that makes sense. I guess I could make one, but that seems like a lot of work.

Thanks.

gflyer
01-30-2009, 06:27 AM
I am very rudimentary.
I just place a couple of brooms on the side of the net and use a string between the two if them.
If you want higher clearance you can place them on top of something (I use plastic buckets)

Okazaki Fragment
01-30-2009, 07:15 AM
I am trying to really work on consistency of my groundstrokes and I am trying to add more net clearance for my basic rally groundstroke. I get away with hitting the ball down and flat for winners, but it hurts my consistency. I was thinking of a string or net that you can affix to the net as a visual and practice aid. Sometimes I start out hitting higher and deep at 75% power but then i crank it up and hit it flatter without thinking about it. Basically I am looking for net extender if that makes sense. I guess I could make one, but that seems like a lot of work.

Thanks.

Gamma singles sticks. I don't think these are carried by TW.

kairosntx
01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
A cheap backyard badmitton set. comes with poles. I have also used a rope but it is sometime difficult to see whether or not the ball goes over or under the rope.

dennis10is
01-30-2009, 07:43 AM
there is a training aid used at my club for the juniors.

I'll try to ask them for the name of it and where they got it.

It is a net, less wide the the full net on two poles. You tied the poles to the existing net. The second net is above the regular net, thus effectively making the net higher. Typically this net is place in the middle portion of the net so that shots that cross the middle part of the net have to have high net clearance but DLT winner or aggressive atacking shots can be hit over he regular height.

W Cats
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Here's a quick and easy idea I saw a Div.1 coach use; Get a 4 foot stick with a notch on the top, release the center strap, place the stick vertically by the strap placement with the notch on the top. It takes 20 seconds to set up.

DBrooks
01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
What I do is get a rope and find a way to tie it about six feet off the ground. Once you get that you play rally games where you have to keep the ball above the rope. This is great for raising your consistency.

Slicendicer
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
A cheap backyard badmitton set. comes with poles. I have also used a rope but it is sometime difficult to see whether or not the ball goes over or under the rope.

+1

a cheap volley ball net will work, Sports Authority.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1252901&cp=2796800&sr=1&origkw=volleyball+net&parentPage=family

Dowel rods at Home Depot.

Bungalo Bill
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks.

Yes, I have mentioned a tool for this. When Braden had his teaching center in Coto de Caza, we had a good tool at our disposal to help players get more lift on their shots.

You need to get two telescoping poles so you can adjust the height fro various drills/practices. If I remember right, we made ours from PVC pipe. If you dont want to do this, you can probably go to a hardware store and see if they have telescoping poles already made.

You attach a flexible nylon rope that is very visible. Like the color yellow or orange. Obviously, the rope needs to be as long as the distance between each NET pole.

Once you attached th rope, attach the telescoping poles to the net poles and adjust it to your desired hieght.

We usually raised the rope about 6 feet over the net for practice. Sometimes less and sometimes more if the poles were long enough.

Djokovicfan4life
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM

r2473
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/player.html?ccode=RNADAL

The shorts give you an instant 5-foot additional net clearance.

Bud
01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Obtain the following:
Two thick wooden dowels (at least 1/2" diameter) at home depot (or two pieces of 1/2" rebar)
** 4' long dowels should be sufficient.
(4X) 2' long pieces of rope (to tie the dowels to each net post)
** Tie near top and bottom of net post.
** Velcro straps would also work perfectly.
1X 50' length of rope (long enough to span the net length plus a little extra to allow it to droop in the middle)
** Make sure the diameter is not too large as you have to either tie it around the tops of the dowels or drill a hole in the dowel and thread the rope through the hole. You do not want the hole to be greater than 3/16" diameter.
** A rope diameter of 1/8" would be sufficient.

Bud
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Or... for the non do-it-yourself type :)

These Airzone systems run about $99.
http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?product=1049

http://206.210.94.83/product/image/regular/CANS_large.jpg

Bungalo Bill
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Or... for the non do-it-yourself type :)

These Airzone systems run about $99.
http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?product=1049

http://206.210.94.83/product/image/regular/CANS_large.jpg

Wow, Bud, that is a great find. $99 though, ouch. I dont know if this was avalable in my days, if it was, maybe that is why we went the inexpensive PVC route.

And also, the only reason I wouldnt lke the net thing is with a rope, you can vary the shots in a drill. Like every third ball goes below the rope to encourage ball control, etc...

Anyway, great find.

makey98
02-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Great, good ideas for a cheap fix and a cleaner way for an expensive one. Thanks.

Bud
02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, Bud, that is a great find. $99 though, ouch. I dont know if this was avalable in my days, if it was, maybe that is why we went the inexpensive PVC route.

And also, the only reason I wouldnt lke the net thing is with a rope, you can vary the shots in a drill. Like every third ball goes below the rope to encourage ball control, etc...

Anyway, great find.

I agree. The court I use is a hybrid tennis/volleyball court (although, never seen volleyball played there)... so they have (2) 6' tall metal posts approximately 3' outside of the tennis court posts... with eyelets to hang the volleyball net on. I simply tie a rope across these two metal poles and let it droop in a similar arc to the top of the tennis net. It works perfectly.

tennis_balla
02-03-2009, 11:10 PM
2 long broom sticks, and some bright colored string/rope. Tie the broom sticks to the outside of the net posts and run a line across the net obviously at your desired height. Then every 6 inches or so cut a piece of string 10in long and tie it to the string running across and above the net to better see the string from the baseline or you can tie that bright orange plastic tape onto it which is much thicker. Simple, cheap and it works.