PDA

View Full Version : Position of Toss in Serve in Relation to Baseline

kenshireen
01-30-2009, 08:54 AM
I understand the different angles to toss the ball depending upon if you want a flat, slice or kick serve.. But my question here is if your front foot is standing on the service line and you tossed the ball for a flat serve where would it land it you just tossed it and let it bounce.

The question here is does the toss go in front and you spring in to it or does it go in line with the top of your head etc.

I am not referring to 11 or 1 oclock but rather does the toss go in front, or in line with your body

Hope I explained that ok

LeeD
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Depends....
Lotsa groundie players like to stay back after serving, so the toss tends to land maybe 18" inside the BASELINE.
For those into serve-volley, most throw the ball farther into the court so their bodies jump towards the net more, so maybe if they let the ball drop, it'd drop 2' or slightly more inside the BASELINE.

junbumkim
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I would say it should be at least a foot into the court from the baseline.

Some players toss more into the court, about 2 feet into the court. 3 feet sounds a little stretching.

It's not totally dependent on the style of a player.

Hewitt is absolute baseliner, but his toss is way into the court.

LeeD
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Hewitt jumps well into the court.
He's a midget, so needs all the forward motion and angle he could get on his serves.
See those 6'8" behemoths, they barely lean into the court.

junbumkim
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Hewitt jumps well into the court.
He's a midget, so needs all the forward motion and angle he could get on his serves.
See those 6'8" behemoths, they barely lean into the court.

Height doesn't determine how far into the court you should toss.
There are other short players who don't toss as much into the court and have just about as good of serve as Hewitt does.

You want a toss that goes INTO the court, and feel comfortable with.

LeeD
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I beg to differ.....
Little tykes are usually more athletic, can jump into the court and still hit clean and center. Since they're small, they need more power.
Tall goons aren't coordinated, so compact motion is needed to impart center hit shots....and they don't need the extra pace, they gots enough.
Of course, tall athletes like JohnLucas (6'6") jumped well into the court, but tennis was too boring and quit after 3 seasons.

larry10s
01-31-2009, 04:39 AM
the answer is yes.. you toss 12- 18 inches into the court. when you go to hit the contact point is just in front of your body because YOU are now 12-18 inches into the court. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF34yNLIE9c a slo-mo serve from the side angle to see this. you can tell they toss into the court adifferent amount but go to the ball and hit it close right in front of them.hope this helps.. if you do not use your legs then you would toss closer to your body not so far in front