PDA

View Full Version : Question on warm up etiquette.

oneguy21
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Do players find it distracting if their opponent crushes the balls during the warm up?

I hit right back to them in the middle of the court in their hitting zone, but it was hard to get a rally going because I try to kill the ball.

What do players hate more? Hitting too hard during warm ups or hitting away from them?

Djokovicfan4life
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's just inconsiderate. It's selfish, saying that all you are concerned about is your strokes, and your opponent can just run around chasing down your shots for 10 minutes while you feel big about yourself. Don't do it, seriously.

oneguy21
01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
^^^But I'm hitting right too him, so I'm not making him run at all. I'm just making him prepare early and have good balance, by hitting hard.

azdelro
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I think it's okay to hit hard, but only to a certain degree. If you're going all-out to hit super hard forehands on warmup, it might be construed as inconsiderate. On that note, I much prefer that during warmup my partner hit hard and down the middle, because I can handle pace and it allows me to get some timing down. There is a player in my league that tries to crack winners in the corners during warmup, and it ****es me off every time.

BU-Tennis
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
The fact is that the warmup is exactly what it says. You should just be warming up. So you should be working on just keeping the ball in and consistency to properly warm up the body, not the strokes. As you play, you are supposed to gradually increase pace so you are able to judge how well you are doing.

You should always warm up before a match though if a court is available. By the time you get to the match warm up you should be pretty ready to go and use this time to just keep your body prepared and work on the consistency, you should have already practiced your put away shots and the such.

Steady Eddy
01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
The fact is that the warmup is exactly what it says. You should just be warming up. So you should be working on just keeping the ball in and consistency to properly warm up the body, not the strokes. As you play, you are supposed to gradually increase pace so you are able to judge how well you are doing.

You should always warm up before a match though if a court is available. By the time you get to the match warm up you should be pretty ready to go and use this time to just keep your body prepared and work on the consistency, you should have already practiced your put away shots and the such.Yep. Don't be one of those people who tries to "win" the points in the warmup.

GeorgeLucas
01-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't mind if you hit a few reasonable balls to the corner in a warm up - hey I need to get my legs moving, you know? And going corner to corner is a good exercise in control.

But don't try to dominate me by punishing my well intended rally balls.

drakulie
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM
I had this problem yesterday in my league match. We started the warm-up and I had all three balls. I fed him the first ball and he hits a cross court shot for a winner (note: I didn't move one step to retreive it). He then did the same thing on the next two feeds. Again, I didn't move.

I started walking over to the bench, and told him I was ready. He was like, "wtf"?? I told him he could either hit the ball back to me, or warm himself up. He got the point.

That ***** irritates me to no end.

01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Do players find it distracting if their opponent crushes the balls during the warm up?

I hit right back to them in the middle of the court in their hitting zone, but it was hard to get a rally going because I try to kill the ball.

What do players hate more? Hitting too hard during warm ups or hitting away from them?

The nice thing about this is I know right away I will win this match. When a player doesn't know better than to do this, I'm sure they don't know enough to win against me. I've only rarely been wrong on this, and even then didn't actually lose, but just they were a little better than expected.
Very good players rarely show so much in the W-up.

Master Flow
01-30-2009, 11:04 PM
If they begin to hit the balls away from me, after the 2nd chaced ball i give up and just feed another, but i make a note that they CAN hit corners.
As for pace if there hitting there hardest and im keeping up with them with mild strokes then i come into the match more confident, cuz ive seen everything they have to offer....no tricks. So i guess it depends on how you view wat ur opponent is doing (making u mad or helping u out)

Djokovicfan4life
01-31-2009, 03:41 AM
^^^But I'm hitting right too him, so I'm not making him run at all. I'm just making him prepare early and have good balance, by hitting hard.

Yes, but you said that it's hard for them to get going, because your hard strokes are messing with their timing. The warm up is about getting BOTH PLAYERS grooved, not just you. I understand that it's easy to get hung up on all of this racquet speed stuff, but come on, your opponents are most certainly NOT interested in seeing your Verdasco-esque forehand technique. He just wants to groove his strokes so that he can play his best tennis as well, and there's nothing like flat, low bouncing warm up strokes to kill the rhythm. Come on, even the absolute flattest hitters out there on the pro tour add a little spin in the warm ups, no reason why you can't do the same.

LeeD
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree that's a bad warmup attitude, but I run into the opposite...
Most times, the player I'm warming up with hits disinterestedly, all moon balls, all short and soft. NEVER hits a normal groundie.
And when the set starts, they hit hard and deep, lots of spin and effort.
Only good thing I can say is.... fortunately, for the courts I play on, everyone just stinks.

Syfo-Dias
01-31-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm glad somebody brought this up. My usual partner has a tendency to smash feeders during warm ups and it drives me up the wall. I mean, of course it's easy to tee off on a feeder when I'm just trying to start a rally. I intentionally make my feeders easy to hit so a rally can be started. I just don't get why he does that sometimes.

JavierLW
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM

I think they both stink, but I guess hitting away from someone is a lot worse.

(hitting away and too hard would be a nice double whammy)

I would treat it just like Drakulie did, if they cant warm up, then Im ready to start, there is no point in letting someone sit there and tee off.

But that's all considering that the warmup is just ideally a good time to get a good rhythm going and to warm up your arm, and a lot of players dont seem to understand that. Instead they think it's practice.

I was warming up with someone before a drill the other day (same thing, it's a warmup not practice), and after a series of really good groundstroke exchanges, they got bored and started drop shotting me. That was annoying as well.

Jim A
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
went through this recently, would hit a rally ball and it would wind up either crushed in the corner, against the backwall or on another court

after 3-4 min of this and then having him drill passing shots at my head I just excused myself for a bathroom break and then just asked to start the match when i returned

it was no surprised to see him pegging people with overheads when he had a wide open court in a doubles mixer later in the week, nor that one of his rotation teammates "accidentally" cracked him in the back of the head while trying to hit cross court towards the end

Jackie T. Stephens
01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Do what I do, stand there if he hits a winner and feed the next ball until he hits it to you.

Steady Eddy
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I had this problem yesterday in my league match. We started the warm-up and I had all three balls. I fed him the first ball and he hits a cross court shot for a winner (note: I didn't move one step to retreive it). He then did the same thing on the next two feeds. Again, I didn't move.

I started walking over to the bench, and told him I was ready. He was like, "wtf"?? I told him he could either hit the ball back to me, or warm himself up. He got the point.

Good way to handle it. Ever have this happen? I entered a tournament, won the 1st round, so I scouted the 2nd round match. They were warming up, and one of the players couldn't keep the ball in play. I left before they even started the match. Next day I was surprised to see that the guy who couldn't even rally was my opponent. As we warmed up, once again he couldn't keep the ball in play. But our first point lasted about 30 shots. Turns out he pretended not to be able to play in the warmup. Why would someone do that? He prevents his opponent from getting warmed up, but he also prevents himself. The opponent will think he can win by just pushing a few balls in, but soon he'll realize that the other guy is a better player than that, and he'll adjust - so in that way it can't really help him either. It just seemed sleazy to me, and I'm wondering, has anybody else ever run into it?

madmanfool
01-31-2009, 01:15 PM

Hilarious. I have to remember this. It drives me insane when people don't warm up properly.

WildVolley
01-31-2009, 01:58 PM
You should hit the ball back to the other person as well as you can. But you should only ratchet up the power if the opponent is not having difficulty returning your strokes. Ripping a shot directly to the opponent on early balls in a warm-up is bad form.

I have the problem that I often play with old doubles players who can't hit topspin shots. It's hard to warm up your shots when everything your opponent hits is a chopped slice.

Jim A
01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Good way to handle it. Ever have this happen? I entered a tournament, won the 1st round, so I scouted the 2nd round match. They were warming up, and one of the players couldn't keep the ball in play. I left before they even started the match. Next day I was surprised to see that the guy who couldn't even rally was my opponent. As we warmed up, once again he couldn't keep the ball in play. But our first point lasted about 30 shots. Turns out he pretended not to be able to play in the warmup. Why would someone do that? He prevents his opponent from getting warmed up, but he also prevents himself. The opponent will think he can win by just pushing a few balls in, but soon he'll realize that the other guy is a better player than that, and he'll adjust - so in that way it can't really help him either. It just seemed sleazy to me, and I'm wondering, has anybody else ever run into it?

He probably thought it was gamesmanship, was this @ 3.0? Because anything past this and I think he would get it handed to him.

SmAsH999
01-31-2009, 02:35 PM
well, my practice partner (who i haven't hit with in over a month due to tendinitis) never hit to me in the warmup, and it was really frustrating. Then in a match, he'd up his game 5 times!

RoddickAce
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
My hitting partners and I tend to crush the ball after the first 5 minutes of hitting practice. But before a real match, I think it's a bit annoying if my opponent keeps crushing the ball during the warmup time when all I'm trying to do is get a long rally started.

pabletion
01-31-2009, 03:13 PM
I never run up balls during warmups, cause Im trying to....... warm up! If the guy starts crushing the ball, I'll let him know that, hey, please start slow, Im trying to warm up. Then its okay to kinda pick up the pace, as both are warming up. I think its pretty rude to not do that, but theres a lotta people out there who just dont know... so if you dont say something, they might not get it. I dont mean you have to be an ***** on the way you say it, but just like: do you mind starting off a bit slow so we can warm up?
When it comes to jerks... I liked Drakulies aproach to the situation...

BullDogTennis
01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
i think of it sorta as a latter. when you first start you hit it back to them rather slowly, then as it goes on you start moving the ball around and hitting a bit harder. but you dont ever like hit a wide shot right, then they hit it back then you crank it to the other side, TRYING to get a winner. thats just rediculous. but just work your way up to cranking it.

JavierLW
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM

Ive seen that before. Sometimes it's just someone who is a major sandbagger, or the definate favorite to win, and they know that they can probably make their shots without the warmup (they just wont be warmed up, they probably groove their shots outside of the match all the time).

But if doesnt favor you that might make their job easier, especially if they can get you out of the way quickly so they are fresher for their next match.

The 5 or 10 minute warmup is really over-rated anyway, it's not really enough time to do a whole lot, and if the opportunity arises it's far better to warmup for 20 minutes ahead of time (preferably with someone who can warm up with you)