PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with my coach

Headshotterer
01-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I came into contact with him and showed him some of my skills, and I have been improving ever since. I improved from 2.0 to a 3.5-ish level, and I believe I am good enough for varsity(our area is so-so)But he does not see or recognize how much I have improved and continues to think I suck and plays me against bad people and is thinking about giving me a bad position on the team.

He does not realize how much I have improved and how good I am compared to everyone else

GeorgeLucas
01-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Talk to him. The sooner the better.

Out of all the choices you have, letting him have his way with you is the worst. To him, you are just another satisfied member of the team placed where you ought to be.

Headshotterer
01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
For some reason, I do not think he likes me. I have done nothing wrong against him and he does not give me advice during games, when he gives everyone else advice. He does not look at me or say anything to me.

Also, he treats everyone on the team specially and people not on the team badly.

And he may not even place me on the team

ayuname
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
My coach does the same too.

The_Punisher
01-30-2009, 09:14 PM
ask him to hit with you.

ask him to stay after practice and hit for a bit, or maybe even play a match. you'll probably lose, but at least you'll be able to show him first-hand how much you've improved.

Okazaki Fragment
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
For some reason, I do not think he likes me. I have done nothing wrong against him and he does not give me advice during games, when he gives everyone else advice. He does not look at me or say anything to me.

Also, he treats everyone on the team specially and people not on the team badly.

You guys don't have a challenge system for the top 6 slots?

pro_staff
01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Let your racket do the talking. Just beat the other people on the team.

eteaGuy
01-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Best thing to do is to gather courage and have a one on one talk to him one day after practice and bring up what's on your mind. Act innocent and just tell him straight up you dont feel that he's giving you enough attention/advice on court. Ask him a few things and observe the way he answers you. Then you can tell what's going on.

When things like this happen to me, it makes me feel stronger and I would just ignore him back. It should motivate you to go play matches on your own outside of practice with other good players, get pointers, practice against the wall on off times and improve yourself. Then when you play during practice play well and let the result show.

Master Flow
01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Well.........i have the same problem. He doesnt give me advice, and i was low on the ranks. Coaches from the other teeams knew me and when i beat them 8-0 (pro set) then thay told them that i was better then the seed i was. So, like you could do, i decided to talk to him......
If you do ask him to move u up. u better win like no other person can. I say this cuz i did the same i beat our schools number 1 and he moved me there i lost 3-8 and he pulled me aside. He ,in a nut shell, told me i lost it for our team so i needed to apoligize to them, and never to ask to be moved cuz ill never amout to anything.
So, if you do think he doesnt like you beging to get tough skin cuz the first time you loose youll be ripped

Failed
01-31-2009, 01:10 AM
1. Are you on time for your classes?
2. Are you picking the balls up as fast as you can?
3. Are you asking questions and acting interested?
4. Do you wear cloths that give an impression that you are serious about tennis?

larry10s
01-31-2009, 04:29 AM
beat the people he puts you against . thats proof you are better than he thinks

Slicendicer
01-31-2009, 05:34 AM
I came into contact with him and showed him some of my skills, and I have been improving ever since. I improved from 2.0 to a 3.5-ish level, and I believe I am good enough for varsity(our area is so-so)But he does not see or recognize how much I have improved and continues to think I suck and plays me against bad people and is thinking about giving me a bad position on the team.

He does not realize how much I have improved and how good I am compared to everyone else

Are you winning matches?

How does your game rate versus the rest of the team?

JavierLW
01-31-2009, 06:12 AM

Im surprised you guys dont have a challenge system.

If you think you have really improved you should prove it by beating people.

Otherwise best case is if you complain he will just ignore you that you are complaining. (especially if he doesnt like you)

If you actually get a position on the team though (especially Varsity), dont complain about it, at least you're playing.

There are no "bad" positions if you're one of the people who actually get to play tennis. If you think you are good, make the most of it and win and prove it.

orangettecoleman
01-31-2009, 08:31 AM
unless you are beating all the people you are playing against, you probably aren't as good as you think you are. simple as that.

Bud
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM

^^ Some good advice above :)

Jackie T. Stephens
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Like they do at my school for varisty play the top 6 slots and beat whoever.. it's as easy as that.

Djokovicfan4life
01-31-2009, 10:27 AM

How's your movement? Are you lazy? Do you try to lumber around the court for the sake of "looking cool"? This seems to be the biggest problem with high school tennis from what I've seen. Try your hardest on every shot and practice hard. Work on your serve, since you said that your coach won't work on the rest of your game. Most players don't practice serving, so you will have a massive advantage if you can develop a solid first and second serve. You will be starting most of the points on YOUR terms instead of in a neutral or even defensive position.

Steady Eddy
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Not to be cynical, but I'm more pessimistic about your coach recognizing how much you've improved. Whoever sees you when you're a beginner, will always see you that way. He knew you when you were a 2.0? That's how he'll continue to see you. That's, too often, how people are. When I returned to the club where I started tennis, they still assumed I had my 10 mph serve. Stupid, who's going to serve like that after playing for 5 years?

Also, your size, body type, and style of play might be working against you. Bobby Riggs at one time was not picked for the Davis Cup team, even though he consistently beat all the players picked ahead of him. Riggs was short, and played steady, unspectacular tennis. They just didn't see how good he was. So try some of the suggestions here, but don't be too surprised if they don't work. A good thing about tennis is you can pursue it without being on a team. That's good, because then you can avoid all the politics that inevitably comes with being on teams.

BullDogTennis
01-31-2009, 12:07 PM
i have a feeling your not as good as you think you are. how long have you been playing? whats are you match results from the "bad" opponants? i mean the coach KNOWS tennis(i assume) so i assume he knows what is goin on.

zapvor
01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
post some video

jessey
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Three posibilities.
1. You didn't improve as much as you think so it's your own fault.
2. Your coach hates you. In that case you need to work on your people's skill and work things out with him.
3. Your coach just didn't notice the improvement. This is the easiest problem to fix, and many have already suggested excellent ways to fix it.

WildVolley
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Most coaches will allow you to play challenge matches.

Don't get discouraged yet, and ask your coach nicely if you could challenge a player on the team that you think you could beat.

fluffy Beaver
01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I improved from 2.0 to a 3.5-ish level, and I believe I am good enough for varsity(our area is so-so)

You made this quote in November last year

Estimated NTRP:3.5-4.0

As some have said, you are most likely not as good as you think you are. I'm not trying to put you down, but there are always so many kids who say I can't believe I have to play "insert low level". And when the opportunity arises to make it up a ladder, there are always excuses.

In conclusion, stop complaining on the board and take it up with your coach.

This post right here makes it sound like all you do is complain and don't do anything about it. As Roddick said "grow some sack".

fluffy Beaver
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Okay after reading some more of your post, you really do live in your own dream world and think too highly of yourself.

Tryouts:There are about 60 people trying out. Half of them suck and are 3.0 below. The other half is 3.5+ with 4.5 being the highest.

i believe on my best days, i can play at a 4.0 level, possibly 4.5
on my worst, i'm 3.0

So lets get this straight, 4.5 is the best on your team and you yourself play at a 4.5 level sometimes.

I now conclude you are one of those people who believe everyone is out to get them. You get a bad grade it must be because of the teacher, but in your case, it's because your "coach" hates you *sigh*

Headshotterer
01-31-2009, 02:55 PM
i recant the 4.5 thing

RoddickAce
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Not to be cynical, but I'm more pessimistic about your coach recognizing how much you've improved. Whoever sees you when you're a beginner, will always see you that way. He knew you when you were a 2.0? That's how he'll continue to see you. That's, too often, how people are. When I returned to the club where I started tennis, they still assumed I had my 10 mph serve. Stupid, who's going to serve like that after playing for 5 years?

Also, your size, body type, and style of play might be working against you. Bobby Riggs at one time was not picked for the Davis Cup team, even though he consistently beat all the players picked ahead of him. Riggs was short, and played steady, unspectacular tennis. They just didn't see how good he was. So try some of the suggestions here, but don't be too surprised if they don't work. A good thing about tennis is you can pursue it without being on a team. That's good, because then you can avoid all the politics that inevitably comes with being on teams.

I agree, this is a psychological. Nalini Ambady and Robert Rosenthal used a case study to support the idea that first impressions lasted even if the ending situation was different.

Master Flow
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
i have a feeling your not as good as you think you are. how long have you been playing? i mean the coach KNOWS tennis(i assume) so i assume he knows what is goin on.

It shouldnt matter how long hes played if hes good hes good. While coaches do know tennis i think they have prefferences. Mine likes consistant strokes with little power. I have the power and faily good consistancy, but he dislikes me. thus y i was low. So i believe that if the coach seeds his players then he goes for favorites, and what he has preached.

BeHappy
02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree, this is a psychological. Nalini Ambady and Robert Rosenthal used a case study to support the idea that first impressions lasted even if the ending situation was different.

a case study isn't scientific, this poster's situation is a case study for eg.

Djokovicfan4life
02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Headshotterer, don't be discouraged by the comments on your level. It's not Fluffy's business to judge you for estimating your level of play, whether you exaggerated it or not. If he was really trying to help he'd have just posted advice rather than focusing on proving that you aren't any good. Just don't let it get to you.

As I said earlier, movement is a huge liability for many high school tennis players. There's lots of great info on this site and many others about footwork techniques, drills, exercises, etc. If you work on this you will be wiping the floor with those other guys and their "pretty" strokes.

Best of luck to you.

Matt

some6uy008
02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Sometimes people have to take a good long look at themselves and be honest in order to improve themselves.

I don't think the people who posted about your past comments did so to be malice towards you, but maybe to point out the fact that you made have overestimated yourself and your improvement and even underestimated other people and your teammates in the past, and maybe possibly still doing so.

Have you played the people ahead of you, what were the results?
How do you improve your rank at you school, is it through challenges or is it arbitrarily assigned?

Honestly, since I neither know you or you coach, I'm incline to give your coach the benefit of a doubt in placing you where you are on the team. Afterall, I'm sure he has a lot more experience with tennis and judging tennis players than you.

Tempest344
02-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Start flogging the people he plays you against

JustBeginning
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
At least your coach didnt forget to put you in 6th period tennis for 2nd semester. -.-"

Alafter
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
If you kill everyone everyone on the team who can beat you, you are guaranteed a spot. Dead people can't play tennis.

It is your only solution.

randomname
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
If you kill everyone everyone on the team who can beat you, you are guaranteed a spot. Dead people can't play tennis.

It is your only solution.

well, there could be some kind of wacky "weekend at Bernie's" type situation, but that could only last for so long.

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Can you make your email public for a little bit, by any chance, HS?

Bungalo Bill
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM

Hard for me to believe that your coach spent this much time and effort to watch you improve and thinks you suck. I dont know of one coach that does not recognize when their players have improved. Why wouldnt they? That is what they are suppose to be there for. Something isn't making sense.

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Hard for me to believe that your coach spent this much time and effort to watch you improve and thinks you suck. I dont know of one coach that does not recognize when their players have improved. Why wouldnt they? That is what they are suppose to be there for. Something isn't making sense.

I get the feeling that the coach either just doesn't give a crap (like the Stillwater coaches, ARRRGGGGHHHHH!) or the OP is being lazy when he plays and he simply chooses to pass him by because poor footwork led him to believe that he would be wasting his time with the guy in the first place.

Matt

EPaps
02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Can you play a challenge match against another higher ranked person on your team?

Bungalo Bill
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I get the feeling that the coach either just doesn't give a crap (like the Stillwater coaches, ARRRGGGGHHHHH!) or the OP is being lazy when he plays and he simply chooses to pass him by because poor footwork led him to believe that he would be wasting his time with the guy in the first place.

Matt

Could be. What it sounds like to me is although the player has improved, he has not improved to the level the coach needs him to be at to play him. I doubt that the coach thinks he "sucks" but instead is working with him to bring him up to speed so to speak. He is just not there yet.

I might be wrong and we probably should wait for his response to shed some more light. Something isn't quiet right about his post.

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Could be. What it sounds like to me is although the player has improved, he has not improved to the level the coach needs him to be at to play him. I doubt that the coach thinks he "sucks" but instead is working with him to bring him up to speed so to speak. He is just not there yet.

I might be wrong and we probably should wait for his response to shed some more light. Something isn't quiet right about his post.

Agreed. The reason for my last reply was simply judging by what I've seen from watching the Stillwater high players. Not that we're exactly the golden standard of tennis though, haha! My little bro will most likely dominate all the way through high school, provided that our level remains stagnant throughout the next few years. It doesn't have to though.

Did you get my email yet? I think you'll really enjoy it, although I certainly understand that you are a busy man with plenty of other responsibilities.

Ivan Morales
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
....Someday, a swiss tennis coach, told to a dad:
"Sorry, but your son is not enough good to play in this team, so he will be the last...."

....that boy was Roger Federer....

Can't you change of coach?

oneguy21
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
You're lucky you have a coach. Our school's tennis team is in disaster. Our assistant coach last year who promised our head coach (who retired) that he'll succeed him for some reason left to coach another school's girls' team in the same district.

Our team might not take part in the season!

Bungalo Bill
02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Agreed. The reason for my last reply was simply judging by what I've seen from watching the Stillwater high players. Not that we're exactly the golden standard of tennis though, haha! My little bro will most likely dominate all the way through high school, provided that our level remains stagnant throughout the next few years. It doesn't have to though.

Did you get my email yet? I think you'll really enjoy it, although I certainly understand that you are a busy man with plenty of other responsibilities.

I checked but didnt see it. email is usptapro@ctcweb.net

Bungalo Bill
02-05-2009, 06:28 AM
"Sorry, but your son is not enough good to play in this team, so he will be the last...."

Hmmm...what are you implying? That the coach doesnt know what he is doing based on the OP's take on the situation? Further, not many Rodger Federer's come around and I believe you are trying to take things out of context making the coach look like an idiot for not having a crystal ball regarding Rodger Federer's succcess in the future. You do know that Rodger was a hot head and that could very well have beent he reason. Rodger Federer in his early career was not the star player you see today.

How many times do players complain about their coaches because they aren't getting their way? It is my opinion that players need to communicate to their coaches just as much as coaches need to communicate to their players. Players also need to understand that it is the COACHES TEAM and not the players team.

The coach will make decisions regarding who he wants playing based on whatever reasons he deems important to him. If consistency is important, and they want to win matches, then guess what, the player better shut-up and shape up his consistency. Period.

This is the coaches team and I dont give a rat's behind that some player that thinks he is better then he really is wants to be the star on the team because "he improved."

Improving as a player is not a good enough reason to be placed on the team. I am sorry but it is not a good enough reason.

Results are the reason coaches put players on a team. Teamwork is a reason coaches put players on a team. Coaches do not put players on their team that complain behind their backs or write posts like this on the internet that are completely onesided.

And you people with bleeding hearts for these poor lil ol players that dont like what mommy did to them need to get this straight.

There are too many pre-madonnas in tennis of all ages. We have kids that think the world owes them something or are entitled to a position on the team because "they improved."

Nickk
02-05-2009, 06:40 AM

Michael Jordan got cut too, I think this shows the enormous tenacity of those two players. They took that criticism and channeled it into their practice and commitment.

Fay
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM

HeadShotterer - are you still with us ? :-)

I skimmed over the posts and them have run the gammut.

I know from personal experience there can be a huge difference in the personality, ethics, and skill of coaches.

ARE YOU ABLE TO SIGN UP FOR TOURNAMENTS AND PLAY SINGLES in your area and surrounding communities?

(I looked at your profile and I don't even know what country you are in)

my suggestion would be for you to play as many tournaments as you can and find a place to play against a wall every day for hours and see whether you can find people to practice with outside of team tennis.

if you want to get better, no one can stop you

I hear you about the personality of the coach ... if it doesn't feel right, then something is probably wrong.

You are the student and the coach is the adult ... everyone on the team should be made to feel like worthwhile human beings, not be made to have to come to a forum for something the coach should be doing.

All students are not created equal as far as physique, talent, motivation, skill, etc., but everyone can learn to get better.

If you are not getting what you need from your coach, and your parents are not being supportive, you can find a LOT OF SELF COACHING MATERIALS ON LINE.
Here on TW and other sites as well.

The key to any motor skill is practice, practice, practice. You can take a basket of balls out every day and work on your serve for example. Keep us posted, eh?

Ivan Morales
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Hmmm...what are you implying? That the coach doesnt know what he is doing based on the OP's take on the situation? Further, not many Rodger Federer's come around and I believe you are trying to take things out of context making the coach look like an idiot for not having a crystal ball regarding Rodger Federer's succcess in the future. You do know that Rodger was a hot head and that could very well have beent he reason. Rodger Federer in his early career was not the star player you see today.

How many times do players complain about their coaches because they aren't getting their way? It is my opinion that players need to communicate to their coaches just as much as coaches need to communicate to their players. Players also need to understand that it is the COACHES TEAM and not the players team.

The coach will make decisions regarding who he wants playing based on whatever reasons he deems important to him. If consistency is important, and they want to win matches, then guess what, the player better shut-up and shape up his consistency. Period.

This is the coaches team and I dont give a rat's behind that some player that thinks he is better then he really is wants to be the star on the team because "he improved."

Improving as a player is not a good enough reason to be placed on the team. I am sorry but it is not a good enough reason.

Results are the reason coaches put players on a team. Teamwork is a reason coaches put players on a team. Coaches do not put players on their team that complain behind their backs or write posts like this on the internet that are completely onesided.

And you people with bleeding hearts for these poor lil ol players that dont like what mommy did to them need to get this straight.

There are too many pre-madonnas in tennis of all ages. We have kids that think the world owes them something or are entitled to a position on the team because "they improved."

To be a Former USPTA Teaching Professional, you should learn how to write "Roger" ;)

Steady Eddy
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
To be a Former USPTA Teaching Professional, you should learn how to write "Roger" ;)Actually, the spelling of prima donna was more distracting, but this isn't spelling class. When you start out in tennis, it is easier to make improvements quickly. But it's unfortunate that his coach saw him in this beginner level. People forget that you were so bad because you were new to the game. Instead, they label you as awful and carry around that idea. I don't think coaches do this malicously, it's just something I''ve noticed that people do. I think if you're a 2.0, don't try out for a team yet. Don't show up until you're a 3.0 or at least a 3.5. That 2.0 tennis will make it impossible for them to ever take you seriously.