PDA

View Full Version : Entering Pro Tournament. . . .at 37

CAM178
01-30-2009, 09:26 PM
As the title states, I am entering a pro tournament at the ripe old age of 37. Yes, I am a bit 'mature', but it should be fun. I have a few weeks before the tournament starts. Keep in mind that it has been 8 months since my last tournament, and even that was only a national Men's 35 tourney.

My plan for this thread is to update as often as possible. You will see firsthand what it takes to prep for a pro tournament, from start to finish.

Right now I have not had any cardio for at least 4 months, I am a few pounds (literally) overweight, and my game needs a few injections of WD-40, to say the least.

My expectations? Yes, I know that I am going to get my *** kicked. Trust me, I know that. But I just want to see what I can do in a small window to prepare. I've played as high as 5.5, and I still wasn't playing to my full ability then. I just want to see what I can do if I give it my all. I might even throw in a few videos if I can remember to do so.

Follow this thread if you need a regular dose of humor. I work a 70 hour a week job, so I will be trying to train on top of that, and I have no playing partners, as I just moved to this area. Oh, and I travel 40% of the time.

Saddle up: it's going to be a fun ride. :mrgreen:

weaver
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Good Luck!

Moz
01-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Good luck mate - I will be following with interest!

DJG
01-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Reporting for duty, sir. Good luck, I'll be following with interest. The old boys do have some life left in them still...

J011yroger
01-31-2009, 05:44 AM
No matter the outcome, you get to cross another item off of that "Things to do before I die" list.

Good luck bud.

J

goober
01-31-2009, 05:57 AM
As the title states, I am entering a pro tournament at the ripe old age of 37. Yes, I am a bit 'mature', but it should be fun. Keep in mind that it has been 8 months since my last tournament, and even that was only a national Men's 35 tourney.

Right now I have not had any cardio for at least 4 months, I am a few pounds (literally) overweight, and my game needs a few injections of WD-40, to say the least.

Follow this thread if you need a regular dose of humor. I work a 70 hour a week job, so I will be trying to train on top of that, and I have no playing partners, as I just moved to this area. Oh, and I travel 40% of the time.

I think I need a couple more excuses and caveats before I can fully get into this story.:mrgreen::p

CAM178
01-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks, guys. The funny thing is that I don't know if I'll even get into the tournament. I entered, but obviously the kids with rankings and future promise take precedence. And keep in mind that I will only be playing qualies. If I won a single round that would be cause for celebration. Let's just hope I don't pull a muscle or have a cramp while celebrating.

My training today has started with me shopping on e b a y whilst drinking coffee. I know that this is going to be a scary day, as I see stars when I get up from sitting down. Holy crap am I out of shape.

There is another benefit to writing this thread: it helps motivate me to get up off of my lazy derriere and go do something!

CAM178
01-31-2009, 06:50 AM
No matter the outcome, you get to cross another item off of that "Things to do before I die" list.

Good luck bud.

J
This is really the only reason I'm doing it. I have a long list of things I want to do (holy crap: I just realized that at 37, I am starting to go through my 'bucket list') before I die.

More than anything, I just want to know how good I really am.

LeeD
01-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Well, GOOD LUCK for sure....
The GeorgePlimpton of tennis, eh wot ?
I tried some qualifiers at 27, after 3 years of tennis. Hope your experience is gonna be as fun as mine was......

davidahenry
01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Good luck Man. I am very interested in this thread. At 37 years old as well, I am playing some of the best tennis of my life - even after an 8 year absence from the game that ended this past summer. I'm not quite at your level, but I'm getting there. Age is just a number. Train hard and give it your best.

DH

onehandbh
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Is there a pre-qualifying open tournament to get a spot into the qualifying?
The ones near where i live are like this.

Best of luck! get some video footage!

Jackie T. Stephens
01-31-2009, 10:11 AM
I never knew they had pro USTA tournaments, a real pro tournament is ITF..

J011yroger
01-31-2009, 10:27 AM
I never knew they had pro USTA tournaments, a real pro tournament is ITF..

http://www.usta.com/ProTennis/USTAProCircuit.aspx

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/index.html

J

Jackie T. Stephens
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.usta.com/ProTennis/USTAProCircuit.aspx

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/index.html

J

Nope.. you still need an ipin to join and that's for the ITF so it's USTA but still it's ITF also.

Julieta
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I think I need a couple more excuses and caveats before I can fully get into this story.:mrgreen::p

When I worked 70 hours a week I didn't even play a local league!

CAM178
01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
As stated, I will be playing the qualies, if I even get into that. All of this might be for naught. Regardless, I will play a Futures this year, even if it's down in Mexico.

I entered the tourney through ITF, with my IPIN.

RE:70 hrs p/wk, I will obviously have to cut that down. It's a new job, so I'm still working out the kinks, but I will start to work smarter, not harder.

Summary of today (so far): went to hit against a backboard today, and the strokes were actually decent. I expected to be spraying quite a bit, and for the strokes to feel really weird. But it was pretty encouraging. My knees started to hurt, but that's probably being geriatric and no exercising.

Now I am headed to the gym. Going to swig a bit of java before heading out, but I have got to hit my cardio pretty hard, and start easy on the weights.

Parting prayer: God, please do not let me pass out on the exercycle, or have the bench fall on my chest because I am too old and weak to raise it back up.

LSStringing
01-31-2009, 04:01 PM
The International Tennis Federation (ITF), the governing body for tennis on a worldwide basis, introduced an apprentice-level Circuit for men in 1976 and for women in 1984 in an ongoing effort to provide young players with an avenue to the international game.

Today, there are more than 375 men's ITF Circuit events and 350 women's ITF Circuit events held annually in 80 different countries around the globe, including China, Iran, Kenya, Lebanon, Liechtenstein and Vietnam.

The USTA, the national governing body for tennis in the United States, is one of more than 200 national federations that are members of the ITF. Through the USTA Pro Circuit, which it owns and operates, the USTA stages the largest number of ITF Circuit events in the world. This year, players from more than 50 countries will be competing in 96 USTA Pro Circuit events for $3 million in prize money.

maratsafin5
01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
You have videos of yourself playing?

J011yroger
01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
The International Tennis Federation (ITF), the governing body for tennis on a worldwide basis, introduced an apprentice-level Circuit for men in 1976 and for women in 1984 in an ongoing effort to provide young players with an avenue to the international game.

Today, there are more than 375 men's ITF Circuit events and 350 women's ITF Circuit events held annually in 80 different countries around the globe, including China, Iran, Kenya, Lebanon, Liechtenstein and Vietnam.

The USTA, the national governing body for tennis in the United States, is one of more than 200 national federations that are members of the ITF. Through the USTA Pro Circuit, which it owns and operates, the USTA stages the largest number of ITF Circuit events in the world. This year, players from more than 50 countries will be competing in 96 USTA Pro Circuit events for $3 million in prize money.

Not to mention the fact that none of the slams fall under the umbrella of the ITF, and one in particular (I can't remember which possibly Wimbledon or the French Open) is held by the USTA.

I would think that most folks knowlegable on the subject would consider the grand slams to be professional tournaments, but hey.

J

saram
01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Very interesting. I have thought about the same thing and I'm almost 40.....:)

woodrow1029
01-31-2009, 11:00 PM
If you are playing a futures, then Jackie T. Stephens is correct. You have to register with the ITF for an IPIN. This is an ITF futures on the USTA circuit.

CAM178
02-01-2009, 08:05 AM
You have videos of yourself playing?
Nothing serious. I have a vid on here, but it's me serving, and not serving very seriously. Someone started a thread about serving over 100 mph, so I recorded myself.

If I can get some serious vids of myself this week, I will.

CAM178
02-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Update: training is going to be light today, if at all. I lifted weights last night for the first time in a long time, and I'm a bit sore. After the gym, I went to a friend's house to watch the UFC fights, and next thing you know, I had had way too good of a time. I am paying the price today.

I will make it into the gym for cardio and lifting, but no tennis today. That's actually better for me, anyway, as cardio and strength are what I need.

J011yroger
02-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Update: training is going to be light today, if at all. I lifted weights last night for the first time in a long time, and I'm a bit sore. After the gym, I went to a friend's house to watch the UFC fights, and next thing you know, I had had way too good of a time. I am paying the price today.

I will make it into the gym for cardio and lifting, but no tennis today. That's actually better for me, anyway, as cardio and strength are what I need.

Wait until the doms hits tomorrow.

Welcome back to the world of pain big fella.

Anyway I suspect you are a sick ******* like me who actually enjoys it when you wake up the next day and feel like someone took a bat to your abs, and you grimace walking up stairs.

I was in the womans section of a sporting goods store yesterday (TW censor blocks it out, but another word for your tallywagger) and I saw a nike t-shirt that said "Training is the opposite of hoping." and I was like "Right on!"

J

NovakWannabe
02-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Just wondering CAM and J0lly, were you guys some Godly juniors back in the day? Or did you guys play for fun when you were kids, and then climbed up the NTRP ranks?

CAM178
02-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Just wondering CAM and J0lly, were you guys some Godly juniors back in the day? Or did you guys play for fun when you were kids, and then climbed up the NTRP ranks?
I've never taken tennis seriously. I've been ranked decently (top 10, etc.), but I've never been able to walk away from a tournament before and say 'Man, I gave that my all.' Usually I give up in the semis or finals. In other words, I've been a bit of a head case when it comes to tennis.

My goals for this year are simple, and it all depends on my ability to compete in tournaments due to work. But my goals are:
- top 5 in state in age division
- top 25 nationally in age division
- win a round of qualifying at a Futures event

CAM178
02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Wait until the doms hits tomorrow.

Welcome back to the world of pain big fella.

Anyway I suspect you are a sick ******* like me who actually enjoys it when you wake up the next day and feel like someone took a bat to your abs, and you grimace walking up stairs.

I was in the womans section of a sporting goods store yesterday (TW censor blocks it out, but another word for your tallywagger) and I saw a nike t-shirt that said "Training is the opposite of hoping." and I was like "Right on!"
J
Yep, this is pretty much where I'm at. I"m in a bit of pain, but I know that if I don't hit the gym today, that I'm really going to hurt tomorrow.

Pain is good. The Marines have a saying, and I live by it: "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body."

J011yroger
02-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Yep, this is pretty much where I'm at. I"m in a bit of pain, but I know that if I don't hit the gym today, that I'm really going to hurt tomorrow.

Pain is good. The Marines have a saying, and I live by it: "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body."

My HR from out of seat 60 sec bike intervals today were 182, 186, 191, 192, 185, 186. Legs were shaking for a good 15 mins afterwards. Made me feel good about that beer and chili that I put down tonite.

Just food for thought so you don't get shown up by some 26 year old punk.

Although I would bet that you wouldn't have too much trouble putting my 115lb bench to shame ;)

J

J011yroger
02-01-2009, 06:59 PM

I played from 4-17, and blew out my shoulder at 17, couldn't lift my arm above paralell to the ground for 6 years. Came back to playing at 23.

My parents didn't care about my tennis and I was taught by my grandfather who was a very high level open player (His son, my uncle, was a teaching pro, and outstanding college player, worked with Tracy Austin for a bit). Since my parents didn't support me, I didn't play juniors, but I was competitive with most solid Jr. players, but not the elite ones. When I was 14 or so I got to hit with college kids, and mostly played against adults or my friends when I wasn't playing for school. I just played every day because I loved it, loved competing, and being "The Man", never really had any plans of greater things, because I was basically oblivious to them.

At my best as a kid I wasn't outstanding, not a DI prospect, but if I wasn't hurt I could have latched on with some DII or DIII team. Basically I was one of the best kids around my small area, but got crushed by the elite juniors.

I grew 3-4 inches since high school, and lost some weight aswell. So when I came back to playing at 23 I changed my entire game to fit my new body, and the current times.

But missing 17-23 and never really having been supported I never got to play to my full potential, so now that I have the opportunity I just want to see how good I can get.

Basically I am a never was, trying to become a has been before it is too late.

J

CAM178
02-01-2009, 08:44 PM
The gym gave me a bit of a scare today, as I felt pain in my right knee again. Not good. That means that I have to lay off of the cardio for a bit, so as not to reinjure that knee. What's weird is that this happened on the exercycle, but I do go at it pretty hard. So 3 months no exercise, and then a massive onslaught to that area. . .probably not too wise. I can't help it, though. That's just how I roll.

Looks like a week of solid wall and wall drills. Probably for the best, really, so that I don't injure my main strength: my speed.

Going to be interesting trying to play whilst traveling. Aye-yi-yi.

SlapShot
02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
I played from 4-17, and blew out my shoulder at 17, couldn't lift my arm above paralell to the ground for 6 years. Came back to playing at 23.

My parents didn't care about my tennis and I was taught by my grandfather who was a very high level open player (His son, my uncle, was a teaching pro, and outstanding college player, worked with Tracy Austin for a bit). Since my parents didn't support me, I didn't play juniors, but I was competitive with most solid Jr. players, but not the elite ones. When I was 14 or so I got to hit with college kids, and mostly played against adults or my friends when I wasn't playing for school. I just played every day because I loved it, loved competing, and being "The Man", never really had any plans of greater things, because I was basically oblivious to them.

At my best as a kid I wasn't outstanding, not a DI prospect, but if I wasn't hurt I could have latched on with some DII or DIII team. Basically I was one of the best kids around my small area, but got crushed by the elite juniors.

I grew 3-4 inches since high school, and lost some weight aswell. So when I came back to playing at 23 I changed my entire game to fit my new body, and the current times.

But missing 17-23 and never really having been supported I never got to play to my full potential, so now that I have the opportunity I just want to see how good I can get.

Basically I am a never was, trying to become a has been before it is too late.

J

J -

You and I are definitely of the same mold.

If/when you make it to Minneapolis, we'll have to meet up and grab a brew.

hotseat
02-02-2009, 08:19 AM
good luck man - i hope you do really well and i'll be reading :)

BounceHitBounceHit
02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Good luck Cam! :)

My pal, who was a former ATP Top 200 player and ACC champ in college, played the qualies for the local ATP event 6 months after his fortieth birthday. He split the first two sets w/ his 22 year old opponent, and was up a break in the third before sucuumbing 7-5. He later told me he had decided not to go all out in the last few games of the third because he knew there was no able he would be able to play his next round match the following morning (too beat/sore/tired). ;)

So, it IS possible Cam.

Best,

CC

J011yroger
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
J -

You and I are definitely of the same mold.

If/when you make it to Minneapolis, we'll have to meet up and grab a brew.

Absolutely.

I'll let you know.

J

CAM178
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Update:

Holy HELL is my body sore today. I am hurting in places I forgot that there were muscles. Putting deodorant on was a herculean task, and I'm sure I looked like a student from a special education class whilst trying to do my morning routine (brushing teeth, deodorant, etc.) Oddly, my legs feel good today. I think I've gone at this too hard, coupled with little sleep, so I think my body needs to get rebooted. I just need a couple of nights of good sleep.

Due to work commitments, I will not be playing any tennis until Thursday. Based on the shape of my muscles, that might not be such a bad thing. I will hit the gym tomorrow night, but my body needs to recover. Man, getting old kinda sucks. :mrgreen:

J011yroger
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Warned you about the doms.

:)

J

Rob_C
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Not to mention the fact that none of the slams fall under the umbrella of the ITF, and one in particular (I can't remember which possibly Wimbledon or the French Open) is held by the USTA.

I would think that most folks knowlegable on the subject would consider the grand slams to be professional tournaments, but hey.

J

The ITF does run the Slams, as well as Davis Cup and Fed Cup.

The ATP/WTA run the other tournaments on the main tour.

region2champion
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Nope.. you still need an ipin to join and that's for the ITF so it's USTA but still it's ITF also.

Jackie, respond to the junior forum on Tennis Europe

J011yroger
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
The ITF does run the Slams, as well as Davis Cup and Fed Cup.

The ATP/WTA run the other tournaments on the main tour.

That is what I was thinking of, that the slams weren't ATP.

Then my pea brain said they weren't ITF either.

My bad, thanks for setting the record straight.

J

Julieta
02-03-2009, 03:15 AM

My pal, who was a former ATP Top 200 player and ACC champ in college, played the qualies for the local ATP event 6 months after his fortieth birthday.

CC

It's definitely possible for a player like that. Anyone who gets that high has some serious game and that never totally goes away, even if they are out of form and can't move the next day. Ay, to be one of the special ones!

Nellie
02-03-2009, 06:37 AM
On a whim, I entered a money tournement a few months ago, and got a terrible beating, 0 and 0. I could not beleive the high quality of players that showed up for a $2K first prize. The finals was like a challenger level match because the two guys had ATP points.

BounceHitBounceHit
02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
It's definitely possible for a player like that. Anyone who gets that high has some serious game and that never totally goes away, even if they are out of form and can't move the next day. Ay, to be one of the special ones!

Yes, and trust me he does have SPECIAL game! ;) CC

mikeler
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
On a whim, I entered a money tournement a few months ago, and got a terrible beating, 0 and 0. I could not beleive the high quality of players that showed up for a $2K first prize. The finals was like a challenger level match because the two guys had ATP points.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago with about the same prize money level. I played the #8 seed in the first round who was #2 in the state of Florida. I was stoked that I won 1 game!

atatu
02-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, and trust me he does have SPECIAL game! ;) CC

A couple of years ago Gene Mayer played the Challenger in Hawaii and won his first round match, and he was 44 at the time. Of course, Mayer was top 5 in the world at one time. Since I'm one of the only guys on this board who has actually hit with CAM178, I'll give you an idea of his game, last time we hit I'd say he was a solid 5.0 player, very smooth strokes and sick touch. He's one of those guys who looks like he's not really trying, effortless. The question will be whether he can stay healthy and not get injured...

BounceHitBounceHit
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
A couple of years ago Gene Mayer played the Challenger in Hawaii and won his first round match, and he was 44 at the time. Of course, Mayer was top 5 in the world at one time. Since I'm one of the only guys on this board who has actually hit with CAM178, I'll give you an idea of his game, last time we hit I'd say he was a solid 5.0 player, very smooth strokes and sick touch. He's one of those guys who looks like he's not really trying, effortless. The question will be whether he can stay healthy and not get injured...

5.0 is a very good level, but I think it will take more to earn a 'W' in a pro tournament, even at the Futures level.

Still, I admire Cam for lacing them up and giving it a try. Truth is, it is bound to be fun, and a great experience. The ONLY way one improves in tennis is to play tennis, and the better the competition, the faster and greater the improvement. ;)

Go Cam!

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Afterthought: To put this all in context, my pal used to simply POUND players who were younger, 6.0 level players well into his late 30's and early 40's (he's now 50). CC

Moz
02-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Afterthought: To put this all in context, my pal used to simply POUND players who were younger, 6.0 level players well into his late 30's and early 40's (he's now 50). CC

What sort of playing style did he have? I'd be interested to know whether it was his style of game that gave them trouble or whether he just did what they did but better.

It would have been good to see a few of the reactions!

bluegrasser
02-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Absolutely.

I'll let you know.

J

Excuse me for grabbing a dog by it's ears - but if Jolly comes to the Minneapple i'll buy the first round, as I owe him big time for taking those pics of my boyhood home in Oakdale Long Island & we'll make it a tall one.

J011yroger
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Excuse me for grabbing a dog by it's ears - but if Jolly comes to the Minneapple i'll buy the first round, as I owe him big time for taking those pics of my boyhood home in Oakdale Long Island & we'll make it a tall one.

We'll bless everything in sight until we get verschnickered!

J

Eph
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
For the ignorant (ie myself, et al.), how do you enter a "pro tournament" (and what exactly is one?) and what is required to enter?

Thanks!

J011yroger
02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
For the ignorant (ie myself, et al.), how do you enter a "pro tournament" (and what exactly is one?) and what is required to enter?

Thanks!

You get an IPIN, from the ITF which is your player code, combination of numbers and letters. You basically ask them for one, and they check your playing record, then issue one.

After that you walk up to the site of the tournament and sign in for qualifying.

If they have a full qualifying draw, they take players from their ATP status first, then their national ranking.

So it is entirely possible to go to the tournament, and not even get accepted into qualifying if you don't have a high national rank.

J

CAM178
02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks, man. If only I had the skills of Mayer. That guy was so much fun to watch. . .just a magician with the racquet. A lot like Santoro, if I recall correctly. Not quite the disguise and touch, but game was similar.

I will say again: I am not fooling myself into thinking that I can do well in this tournament. I am essentially training for 3 weeks for a profesional tournament. I think I can get into shape, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

My expectation is to be on court for 30-35 minutes in the tournament. I know it's going to be a lot of me saying 'nice shot', but it's going to be fun. Plus, the look on the kid's face will be priceless when he looks over the other side of the net and sees someone his father's age! :mrgreen:

CAM178
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Years ago I entered a couple of money tournament and won a couple of matches. The first one I played had some players who hit pretty hard, so I wanted to find out who they were. Looked onto the USTA site. . .nothing. Then I went onto the ATP site, and the 1 seed was 300th in the world. . . .and he lost 1 &2 in the quarters. One of the guys who got to the semis was in his 30's. Tiny little guy (maybe 5'5"). . . .who happened to have a tour win over Rafter. I saw that little guy beat a guy with a 135ish mph serve 0 & 0. The big server was a current tour player, and he was just laughing at getting his *** handed to him by a retired tour player. It turned into more of a coaching session by the end.

The guys that show up for these tournaments are just looking for some easy money off tour. At tour level, they are getting killed, and are spending more money than they are making. Once you start looking into this, you will see that there is a tour below the tour all around the U.S. There are money tournaments all over the place, and you will see the same names in there. It's easy money for them.

The other danger is that occasionally you get former ATP players. . .and I mean well-ranked players. . . .who come out of retirement to see how their game is. And they are still nasty good. Perfect example is the Men's 30 Nationals last year in Austin. Christo Van Rensburg (former ATP 20ish player)came out to play the tournament. He got to the finals and lost, but that was Christo's first competitive tennis in 12 years. 12 years!

TonLars
02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Sounds fun, good luck! Where is the tournament that you are thinking of playing? Im going to play the Mobile, Alabama tournament end of March. If you go to that one let me know and we can hit and warmup and stuff, I may not personally know anyone there otherwise.

CAM178
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Sounds fun, good luck! Where is the tournament that you are thinking of playing? Im going to play the Mobile, Alabama tournament end of March. If you go to that one let me know and we can hit and warmup and stuff, I may not personally know anyone there otherwise.
Thanks, TL. The tourney is in McAllen, TX, where I live. Sounds cool as to hitting. I would just about pay money for that down here, as it's pretty much me and the wall when I'm here in town.

CAM178
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
You get an IPIN, from the ITF which is your player code, combination of numbers and letters. You basically ask them for one, and they check your playing record, then issue one.

After that you walk up to the site of the tournament and sign in for qualifying.

If they have a full qualifying draw, they take players from their ATP status first, then their national ranking.

So it is entirely possible to go to the tournament, and not even get accepted into qualifying if you don't have a high national rank.

J
And it's only $45. That, in and of itself, is a bargain.

dgrave2
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I had a friend play in an ITF tournament last year.. she was at the time a computer rated 4.0.. lost 1 and 0. Said it was a blast though!

Also found out that my pro's brother played dubs in the FO & Wimby back in the 80s and got to play Jimmy Connors in another tournament.

anyway hope you get to enter! good luck!

Slicendicer
02-06-2009, 02:09 PM

Hey man... I'll be at the Mobile tournament. Shoot me an email, lets hit a few balls.

Rob_C
02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks, TL. The tourney is in McAllen, TX, where I live. Sounds cool as to hitting. I would just about pay money for that down here, as it's pretty much me and the wall when I'm here in town.

Does your training/practicing mainly consist of hitting against a wall??? I think thats the 2nd time in this thread Ive read a reference to that.

CAM178
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Does your training/practicing mainly consist of hitting against a wall??? I think thats the 2nd time in this thread Ive read a reference to that.
Right now, yes. I'm new to the area, and I've asked over and over again if I can get some names and numbers. So far, no luck.

Rob_C
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Right now, yes. I'm new to the area, and I've asked over and over again if I can get some names and numbers. So far, no luck.

Did you play at a pretty high level before?? Whats the tennis scene like there?? Active?? Have u thought about asking teaching pros if they have any jrs that u can hit with???

I guess ur kinda forced into playing this Futures because its the only time of the year it's in town. I've been in ur shoes, and its a horrible feeling going into a tourney short on hitting.

x5150
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
37 yr old.
ridiculous work hours.
knee injury,
hitting partner is a backboard.
haven't played in months.
wife? kids?

lol? You trying to top Rudy so they can make a movie about you?

How much do these pro tournaments cost?

Good luck though, just seems you should take care of a few things to help your chances.

CAM178
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Did you play at a pretty high level before?? Whats the tennis scene like there?? Active?? Have u thought about asking teaching pros if they have any jrs that u can hit with???

Have only played state, sectional, and national tournaments. Tennis scene here sucks. Moved here for the job. I have not asked teaching pros about juniors, but thank you for the idea. I'll have to do that. Apparently the juniors around here are the only good players.
37 yr old.
ridiculous work hours.
knee injury,
hitting partner is a backboard.
haven't played in months.
wife? kids?

lol? You trying to top Rudy so they can make a movie about you?

How much do these pro tournaments cost?

Good luck though, just seems you should take care of a few things to help your chances.
Knee injury? Nope. Threat of a knee injury? Yes. That's why I'm doing this: before serious injuries take control.
No wife and kids.
Funny about the Rudy comment, though. But I'm a bit too old for Rudy. Rocky maybe?
Don't know how much tourney will cost. I'm wondering that myself.

What do you mean by "you should take care of a few things to help your chances"? What more could I do? If you have some ideas, let me know.

I did forget to add that I travel a bit, and one of the towns that I travel to has a decent tennis scene. I'm there for at least 40% of every week, and I plan to start playing every night that I am there.

CAM178
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Update: tried to practice today, but had to stop after 15 minutes. Why? Oh, maybe because of the 30 mph winds and the clouds of dust blowing into my eyes. Felt like I was trying to play tennis in the middle of a tornado. After I shanked two balls over the backboard (wind dropped the ball suddenly, forcing me to frame them), I had had enough.

Will get back at it tomorrow. I had been warned about the winds, but ay-carumba. Ridiculous.

Hope tomorrow is a much better day to play tennis. If not, it looks like I'm going to be hitting on the racquetball courts in my gym.

moonbat
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I sense a movie of the week here. ;)

CAM178
02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I sense a movie of the week here. ;)
Me, too. I'm just trying to imagine what the soundtrack would be like. I know one thing: it's going to be an awfully short movie! :)

moonbat
02-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Me, too. I'm just trying to imagine what the soundtrack would be like. I know one thing: it's going to be an awfully short movie! :)

Maybe you can have a cameraman follow you around like Baghdatis and then sell the documentary to ESPN!

CAM178
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Maybe you can have a cameraman follow you around like Baghdatis and then sell the documentary to ESPN!
Ha ha! Sadly, I think I would have to pay ESPN to buy the thing.

Speaking of which, I would love to see what the final tally is going to be for Baggy's film expenses. It's got to be astronomical.

moonbat
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Ha ha! Sadly, I think I would have to pay ESPN to buy the thing.

Speaking of which, I would love to see what the final tally is going to be for Baggy's film expenses. It's got to be astronomical.

Yeah, that following-him-around-24-7 has been going on way too long. It's getting creepy.

BounceHitBounceHit
02-07-2009, 06:56 AM
What sort of playing style did he have? I'd be interested to know whether it was his style of game that gave them trouble or whether he just did what they did but better.

It would have been good to see a few of the reactions!

Hi Moz,

Sorry, just saw this post. :)

I am sure it was his game style to a certain degree. He probably has the most variety of any player I've personally faced. He can grind, hit the ball flat with pace, loop, loop and come in, hit slice or flat approaches, volley like a maniac, great overhead, really good serve. So yes, the 'true' total all court package. ;)

CC

CAM178
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Update: hit against the wall of the racquetball court on Sunday night. Yes, I got to hit, but it was a bit surreal. Kind of like practicing on grass. My timing had to be much quicker, and every time I hit the ball, it sounded like the creatures from "Pitch Black". Now I know where they got the sound from.

My knee is flaring up a bit, so maybe I've rushed this a bit too much.

I'm traveling out of town to a bigger city for the next few days, where I hope to get some actual hitting time in.

This is getting to be an exercise in futility. I'm starting to think about scrapping the idea of playing in a pro tournament with no practice. For God's sakes, one of the entrants is the #1 junior in the world not too long ago (Ignatik).

If I sound a bit down/frustrated tonight, it's because I've been dealing with technological issues with my company for the past 4 hours. I am not pleased, as I did not get to go hit or work out tonight.

Rob_C
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Update: hit against the wall of the racquetball court on Sunday night. Yes, I got to hit, but it was a bit surreal. Kind of like practicing on grass. My timing had to be much quicker, and every time I hit the ball, it sounded like the creatures from "Pitch Black". Now I know where they got the sound from.

My knee is flaring up a bit, so maybe I've rushed this a bit too much.

I'm traveling out of town to a bigger city for the next few days, where I hope to get some actual hitting time in.

This is getting to be an exercise in futility. I'm starting to think about scrapping the idea of playing in a pro tournament with no practice. For God's sakes, one of the entrants is the #1 junior in the world not too long ago (Ignatik).

If I sound a bit down/frustrated tonight, it's because I've been dealing with technological issues with my company for the past 4 hours. I am not pleased, as I did not get to go hit or work out tonight.

To be honest, I think u should wait until u have a better opportunity to get some live hitting in. Its not going to do you any good to go into a Futures qualy w/o any live hitting, especially not for 3-4 weeks.

If you had been hitting for awhile, then had a break, thats one thing. I think the Futures roll back around in Oct in Tx, so maybe u can wait until then.

Late.

CAM178
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
To be honest, I think u should wait until u have a better opportunity to get some live hitting in. Its not going to do you any good to go into a Futures qualy w/o any live hitting, especially not for 3-4 weeks.

If you had been hitting for awhile, then had a break, thats one thing. I think the Futures roll back around in Oct in Tx, so maybe u can wait until then.

Late.
Great advice, and that's what I'm going to do. This is ridiculous to try and prep for this in 3 weeks time.

So, TWers and loyal readers, my quest is done. . . .for now. This is on my list of things to do, so I will definitely attempt this. And if all goes as planned, I will play in a Futures while on vacation in Mexico or South America within the next 9 months.

Thanks for reading. :)

predrag
02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Great advice, and that's what I'm going to do. This is ridiculous to try and prep for this in 3 weeks time.

So, TWers and loyal readers, my quest is done. . . .for now. This is on my list of things to do, so I will definitely attempt this. And if all goes as planned, I will play in a Futures while on vacation in Mexico or South America within the next 9 months.

Thanks for reading. :)

Because of the teaching (tennis) I stopped playing tennis (I was at 5.0 level) for few years.
When I wanted to start playing again I did not realize how bad my shape was.
It took me two years to bring my game up and it is still below the level where I believe it was.

Regards, Predrag

CAM178
02-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Because of the teaching (tennis) I stopped playing tennis (I was at 5.0 level) for few years.
When I wanted to start playing again I did not realize how bad my shape was.
It took me two years to bring my game up and it is still below the level where I believe it was.

Regards, Predrag
Couldn't have said it better.

Therein lies the rub when it comes to getting older: what we see is not reality. We want to see ourselves as able to get up and running with our games in no time, and we want to see ourselves as no chance for injury. The reality is quite the opposite.

If I have 6 months of even mediocre playing time, then I think my game might have a shot of getting back to where it needs to be. But for right now, no freaking way. The result will probably be the same at the Futures, but at least I'll know that I went into battle prepared.

TonLars
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey man... I'll be at the Mobile tournament. Shoot me an email, lets hit a few balls.

I tried to use the option to send you an email but it does not work. It would be fun to meet and I would really appreciate hitting that Friday before the matches on Saturday, and maybe warmup Sat morning. Send me an email and then we can talk when the tournament gets closer, thanks!

Julieta
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Couldn't have said it better.

Therein lies the rub when it comes to getting older: what we see is not reality. We want to see ourselves as able to get up and running with our games in no time, and we want to see ourselves as no chance for injury. The reality is quite the opposite.

If I have 6 months of even mediocre playing time, then I think my game might have a shot of getting back to where it needs to be. But for right now, no freaking way. The result will probably be the same at the Futures, but at least I'll know that I went into battle prepared.

IMO playing a futures isn't worth it unless you can play like six in a row or something. Then you are travelling and hitting every day and playing even if you lose first round you improve and actually have a chance. Doing it as a one off wouldn't do much for you but could be cheaper than the entry fee for some opens. You should try to train for a 35s national instead.

J011yroger
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
IMO playing a futures isn't worth it unless you can play like six in a row or something. Then you are travelling and hitting every day and playing even if you lose first round you improve and actually have a chance. Doing it as a one off wouldn't do much for you but could be cheaper than the entry fee for some opens. You should try to train for a 35s national instead.

Don't think aspiring performer, think bucket list. :)

J

Nanshiki
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
FWIW, a Futures event qualifier costs $40 to enter now. You also have to pay $40 for the IPIN, and travel expenses.

On another note, you can now enter in advance even if you're unranked instead of just showing up and hoping for a BYE.

johnathan smith
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Tony,
I live in Mobile and usually attend a couple of days during that event. It's a good one and well thought out.
They take good care of the players down here and I think you'll enjoy it.
If I am able to get off of work any during that week, maybe we can bat a few around down there and get you loose for your matches.
J

Rickson
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Cam will do well.

TonLars
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Tony,
I live in Mobile and usually attend a couple of days during that event. It's a good one and well thought out.
If I am able to get off of work any during that week, maybe we can bat a few around down there and get you loose for your matches.
J

That would be great, lets stay in touch! Thanks

Nanshiki
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
You're talking about the Mobile Futures? I'm seriously considering entering the qualies so I can waste $80 and embarass myself. At least I can say I've played in a pro tourny.

Okazaki Fragment
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
You're talking about the Mobile Futures? I'm seriously considering entering the qualies so I can waste $80 and embarass myself. At least I can say I've played in a pro tourny.

I don't think it works that way. Although it should. We need a pre-qualifier for a wild card into the qualifier for the main draw. What a great way to encourage participation of the local tennis community for a futures tournament.

Nanshiki
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Uh, actually that's exactly how it works. If there's a BYE, virtually anyone who signs up can play in the qualifying tournament... at least in theory.

Okazaki Fragment
02-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Uh, actually that's exactly how it works. If there's a BYE, virtually anyone who signs up can play in the qualifying tournament... at least in theory.

You're kidding. I always thought they picked the entries based on rank. They need to advertise stuff like this more. I would love to see a local 4.5 hack that somehow got lucky and made it out of the qualifying get destroyed by a professional.

Nanshiki
02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Anyone who can win two (if you get a BYE in the first round) or three (without a BYE) matches in a pro qualifier is going to be a damn good player in their own right... at least in the mens. lol.

Probably not a 4.5 hacker.

TonLars
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Cool, let me know if youre down there and maybe ill see you around, possibly hit.

Rickson
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
What does it take to turn pro?

maverick66
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
What does it take to turn pro?

how pro u talking. anyone can enter nationals and get an ipin and go to futures. thats easy. winning at a futures level and beyond is tough. i played futures and can tell you its very tough just to qualify. once you get ranked high enough that you dont need qualify it gets much easier as your not worn down by the thousands of pushers you will meet in qualies. in qualifying you play alot of college kids who are consistent as hell. they hit a very weak ball but they will not get tired and they will not miss. so unless you got some major shotmaking ability get ready to grind. on top of that if the wandering ref isnt at your match in qualies your gonna get hooked hard.

let me know if you have anyother questians and ill answer the best i can. its a crappy system right now that rewards those that are willing to travel to 3rd world countries where tournies are a joke.

Rob_C
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
You're kidding. I always thought they picked the entries based on rank. They need to advertise stuff like this more. I would love to see a local 4.5 hack that somehow got lucky and made it out of the qualifying get destroyed by a professional.

The way the system is now, people with ATP rankings, who enter by the deadline have priority. Then it goes by ITF jr ranking, 18s, then National adult rankings, then ITF 16s rankings, I believe.

This should be covered by the ITF rulebook which should be available online.

But, anyone can enter, and get into a qualies draw if it isnt filled up with people with higher priority than themselves.

In other words, 4.0s and 4.5s have gotten into Futures qualies. Most likely they got crushed, but they still got in.

If u look at the last USA Futures qualie draw, there were a few double bagels handed out. Those were probably your 4.0s, 4.5s on the receiving end.

Rickson
02-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Mav, I have no illusions of becoming a pro. Tennis or mma!

Okazaki Fragment
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
The way the system is now, people with ATP rankings, who enter by the deadline have priority. Then it goes by ITF jr ranking, 18s, then National adult rankings, then ITF 16s rankings, I believe.

This should be covered by the ITF rulebook which should be available online.

But, anyone can enter, and get into a qualies draw if it isnt filled up with people with higher priority than themselves.

In other words, 4.0s and 4.5s have gotten into Futures qualies. Most likely they got crushed, but they still got in.

If u look at the last USA Futures qualie draw, there were a few double bagels handed out. Those were probably your 4.0s, 4.5s on the receiving end.

That's awesome. This means I still have a shot at being a "pro" tennis player. I'm surprised there any slots available given the amount of high ranked juniors that would want to enter.

Slicendicer
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Tony,
J

Hey Jonathan... I live in Mobile also, about 5 min's from the TC. You want to hit a few balls? Let me know.

Slicendicer
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
how pro u talking. anyone can enter nationals and get an ipin and go to futures. thats easy. winning at a futures level and beyond is tough. i played futures and can tell you its very tough just to qualify. once you get ranked high enough that you dont need qualify it gets much easier as your not worn down by the thousands of pushers you will meet in qualies. in qualifying you play alot of college kids who are consistent as hell. they hit a very weak ball but they will not get tired and they will not miss. so unless you got some major shotmaking ability get ready to grind. on top of that if the wandering ref isnt at your match in qualies your gonna get hooked hard.

let me know if you have anyother questians and ill answer the best i can. its a crappy system right now that rewards those that are willing to travel to 3rd world countries where tournies are a joke.

Not anyone can get an IPIN from the ITF. You have to have a record of high level Junior record, college record, etc.
1,000's of pushers... how many matches did you play? If you win a tournament a week thats like 20+ years of playing Futures minimum.

J011yroger
02-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Not anyone can get an IPIN from the ITF. You have to have a record of high level Junior record, college record, etc.
1,000's of pushers... how many matches did you play? If you win a tournament a week thats like 20+ years of playing Futures minimum.

I have an IPIN, and never played juniors, and was hurt through college.

Just sayin.

J

nickynu
02-12-2009, 04:03 AM

My pal, who was a former ATP Top 200 player and ACC champ in college, played the qualies for the local ATP event 6 months after his fortieth birthday. He split the first two sets w/ his 22 year old opponent, and was up a break in the third before sucuumbing 7-5. He later told me he had decided not to go all out in the last few games of the third because he knew there was no able he would be able to play his next round match the following morning (too beat/sore/tired). ;)

So, it IS possible Cam.

Best,

CC

Craig surely this is a complete tank job - Sounds like he was scared of not winning and by saying he didnt go all out in the 3rd gave himself a nice excuse. I know you are big on the psychology of the game what do you think

PS Kudos to CAM for giving it a go -dont hide behind excuses like that guy, just do your best with no regrets and you will be proud of yourself whatever you acheive.

nickynu
02-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Oops should have read to the end of the thread it seems like you have given up already shame.

Seriously what will you have to lose even if its 0-6 0-6. For me if you even get 1 game its a bonus -surely

Julieta
02-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Craig surely this is a complete tank job - Sounds like he was scared of not winning and by saying he didnt go all out in the 3rd gave himself a nice excuse. I know you are big on the psychology of the game what do you think

PS Kudos to CAM for giving it a go -dont hide behind excuses like that guy, just do your best with no regrets and you will be proud of yourself whatever you acheive.

You must be young! When you're young you can't imagine not being able to play the next day unless you actually pulled something, rolled an ankle or whatever. When you get older it is different. This guy still had the game to take the younger guy down, but he had to put in a lot of effort to do so, and when you get that much mileage on the body, you know when you don't have enough left to play the next day. It's common courtesy if you know you're toast to default so your opponent can go on, its not a sign of weakness. My guess is that if Craig's friend ended up with a match point despite not putting max effort in (tanking basically) he would have forfeited on match point.

It's also courteous to forfeit if you have a plane to catch the next day and end up about to win.

nickynu
02-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Ha Ha me- young I wish julieta !!

I agree 100% that he should have forfiet at match point, but what strikes me is that by saying he wasnt going all out in the third set he gave himself an excuse in case he couldnt close out or get to that point.

If he really wasnt trying and still went to 7-5 you have to question why he didnt just try and maybe win the set quickly to conserve energy and play next day- or at least get to match point and retire. If he honestly wasn't trying he is insulting his opponent and should not have entered.

Look we have all rationalised after a loss - its no shame but if the guy enters he should try to win unless he was looking for an excuse.

Ps I could have won the Aussie Open final the other week if only I had been trying to get a world ranking high enough to enter-damn!

Slicendicer
02-12-2009, 05:05 AM
I have an IPIN, and never played juniors, and was hurt through college.

Just sayin.

J

Yeah, you had to "apply" for one though, I'm sure. I did. Case and point to what the guy alluded to earlier that 4.0-4.5 players can get in and get wiped in 1 round of qualies.

Holdfast44ID
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
In the SF Bay Area, everyone I knew has played the local pro tournament qualifying tournament for what was the Transamerica Open, now the SAP Open, etc. You have the pre-qualy tournament, which is basically like playing in one of your local Opens. You will get anyone and everyone in that, including high school players, club players, old teaching pros, college players, etc. Bracket winners then go on to the "real" qualifying tournament with the more serious competition. All in all, a lot of matches to win to get into the main event (and probably draw a seed in the first round). I remember when Agassi would be in the tournament, some qualifier would draw him in the first round and I'd think what bad luck that was, but then would realize that if they were going to lose anyway, it was better to get to play and lose vs Agassi...

blue12
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Isn't that how every ITF tournament is? Each country has their own ITF events.

blue12
03-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Cool, let me know if youre down there and maybe ill see you around, possibly hit.

Is it usually possible to get into the qualifier if you don't have a ranking?
Just curious because I'm thinking of trying one in a few months to a year depending how my game is going.

TonLars
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Is it usually possible to get into the qualifier if you don't have a ranking?
Just curious because I'm thinking of trying one in a few months to a year depending how my game is going.

Usually. In the recent past it was even first come first in, but it has been changed this year to merit based in first, and then it fills up the rest with anyone

blue12
03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Usually. In the recent past it was even first come first in, but it has been changed this year to merit based in first, and then it fills up the rest with anyone

Thanks for the info. Your groundies look a lot better than they did in that old video. How far have you made it in a futures qualifier? What about doubles do they have doubles in futures events?

lilycolefan
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM

J

Why do they check your playing record? Can't anyone get an iPin?

Slicendicer
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
In the SF Bay Area, everyone I knew has played the local pro tournament qualifying tournament for what was the Transamerica Open, now the SAP Open, etc. You have the pre-qualy tournament, which is basically like playing in one of your local Opens. You will get anyone and everyone in that, including high school players, club players, old teaching pros, college players, etc. Bracket winners then go on to the "real" qualifying tournament with the more serious competition. All in all, a lot of matches to win to get into the main event (and probably draw a seed in the first round). I remember when Agassi would be in the tournament, some qualifier would draw him in the first round and I'd think what bad luck that was, but then would realize that if they were going to lose anyway, it was better to get to play and lose vs Agassi...

Figures in San Fran. the tournament would have to be "trans" something or another... :)

CAM178
03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Why do they check your playing record? Can't anyone get an iPin?
I don't know about the playing record, but I do know that anyone can get an IPIN. Pay $45, and you'll get an IPIN.

tonyg11
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
You’re 37 not 67. McEnroe just played a competitive match with Sampras on the seniors tour at 50. Don’t make excuses for yourself. Go out there and win! Good luck 

Rickson
04-23-2009, 07:30 AM
How much $$$ you win so far, CAM?