PDA

View Full Version : ******Stretched Stomach Muscle******

superlobber
01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I have been playing a lot more aggressive, especially with my serve. I have been trying the explosive serve by lobbing the ball hight and then jumping up to hit the ball. The serves have been working very well for me, but my upper left abdominal is in a great pain after a while. I am a right hander. The severe pain only occur during the serve and overhead only.
Any idea of how to reduce or even prevent this pain?
Please help me out as a big match is coming soon.
Thank you.

sukivan
01-31-2009, 01:03 AM
that is a small tear in your abdomen
you have a couple options
1) stop jerking your abdomen so much; the underlying structures are surprisingly delicate
2) do some ab strengthening exercises

preferably both

halalula1234
01-31-2009, 02:48 AM
make sure your movement is correct cus if u keep doing the wrong movement you could end up ruining your body even though that serve works but if its the wrong technique which is harming your body u should change. Best thing to do is get a coach to have a look or video tape ur self and try comparing what u are doing to different professionals.

fuzz nation
01-31-2009, 07:03 PM
If you've got what I had a year or two ago, you might just have a nagging little tear that's going to take a while to mend, especially if you are playing on a regular basis. If it's only a strain, you ought to be able to rest it for a few days and have it cool out, but I had a stupid tear that only hurt when I went over the top in that serving motion. I thought of it as a sort of karma payback for not being smart enough to keep after my lifting when I was playing with really hefty racquets. My injury didn't get worse, but it took several weeks to get better.

Nellie
01-31-2009, 07:49 PM
I had a lower adominal strain/tear, and I had to stop hitting kick serves for about six months. During that time, I had to go with flat or slice serve so that I would not have to arch back and up to the ball.

superlobber
01-31-2009, 10:10 PM
I do play on the regular basis, about 4-6 day per week, but just recently got the pain when I started this explosive serve. Before the pain, I would land behind the baseline after the serve. Since watching the lesson about the explosive serve which required you throw your whole body to hit the ball and land inside the court, I have started it then the pain started from there.

This explosive serve felt funny at first, but since I got it, it felt great and I can serve with much more confident. I have tried to go back to my old serve, but it just doesn't feel the same anymore. There's just not enough pace and that would be just an invitation for my opponent to attack.

I will try to eat one hour before the match/play to see if it work. Maybe it could happen because I have been playing on empty stomach.

SystemicAnomaly
02-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Probably should have posted this in Health & Fitness forum.
Do you think that you may possibly have a hernia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia)?