PDA

View Full Version : The WTA needs Capriati back ASAP!

JennyS
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Women's tennis really lacks excitement and interest for me right now without Jennifer Capriati being on the circuit. I miss that competitive fire, the profanity, the great matches, the hustle, the fist pumps, the great smile. Ugh. Sure, there are a lot of fantastic players on the WTA, but IMO, Jennifer is the most interesting.

Perfect
02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
She was interesting. Competitive fire? All these chances she gets at the USO and not capitalizing on any. If she was younger, I would say I would love to see her back because she would have a chance at contending at the slams, now, I think it is just too late for Capriati.

JennyS
02-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Aside from her great game and fighting spirit, I think Capriati is also missed for the impact she continues to have on so many people. She's always gone out of her way to do things for others, such as dedicate two of her three Slams to cancer sufferers (one of whom passed away). She took care of and inspired her mom to beat cancer as well (which she did!) and she also supported our troops and participated in Jocks to Gi's on ESPN. com. What a great, inspiring person the Capster is!

JennyS
02-25-2005, 04:15 PM
She was interesting. Competitive fire? All these chances she gets at the USO and not capitalizing on any. If she was younger, I would say I would love to see her back because she would have a chance at contending at the slams, now, I think it is just too late for Capriati.

Blowing chances at the US Open, doesn't mean she lacks competetive fire. Heck, she's lost in three set tiebreaks in the US Open semis and only really "blew" one of them (the one against Justine).

But I wouldn't count her out. If you had told someone back in 1994-1999 that Cappy would win three majors in 13 months, nobody would have believed you.

verdasco67
02-25-2005, 09:09 PM
i want to watch her again she's good to watch very solid groundies....but her dad is sucha **** =P

02-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I hate to say this but she's probably the only player i don't like and could live w/o seeing again. Something about her just bothers me, but thats just me i guess...? I would rather see the wta get henin hardenne back, to me shes the federer of womens tennis when healthy.

Rabbit
02-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I heard that she's tied up.... ;)

PrestigeClassic
02-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Can't stand her. Clutch players rule, chokers drool.

TheNatural
02-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Clijsters also chokes, but she's an improved version of Capriati. I much rather see Clijsters play.

JennyS
02-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Capriati's choked, no doubt, but she's also played some very clutch matches as well. The 2002 Australian Open final is the best example. She won a ton of three setters in 2001. Most of Jen's chokes came at the US Open.

Capriati's very important to the women's game. Just ask US TV networks. Some of her matches have outrated Williams sisters matches over at ESPN.

Andy Hewitt
02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
She's doin too much drugs!

PrestigeClassic
02-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, Cap's won some close three-setters, but considering the talent that she has, she turns too many would-be routine two-set wins into close three-setters. Still, her match at the US Open with Henin, I believe, was great. But I admit, I've only seen a few Cap matches in my life. As good as she is, I can't stand her attitude, which to her, seems more a detriment than other players' attitudes do to them. And then when she tries to hold it in, she chokes. She needs to mix it up with some more humor like Safin. That's my arm chair observation for this year.

baseliner
02-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Heard she is buffeting her body at an all you can eat restaurant to get back in WTA shape.

USCfan
02-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I think the WTA would rather see its Belgian stars get back on top. I definitely would.

davey25
02-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Heard she is buffeting her body at an all you can eat restaurant to get back in WTA shape.

Omigod, I love this quote. So funny and so true. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: