PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in ST. Augustine Florida

blakesq
01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi tennis players,

My wife and I are thinking of moving from cold and high tax New Englang, to Florida, specifically St. Augustine (about 30 miles south of Jacksonville). Are there tennis clubs and/or tennis organizations where we can play lots of tennis in the area? Thanks for any input!

blakesq

ryangoring
02-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry I couldn't help but over hear, but I live in Daytona Beach. In Palm Coast which is just a few miles down from St. Augustine has a tennis club there. That is where Andre Agassi started out, I think. Tom Gullikson maybe the coach or the tennis director there.
Down in Daytona Beach there is the USTA center, about 20-30 miles from St. Augustine.
Just a heads up.

Geezer Guy
02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I just got back from St Augustine. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't choose to live there. It's fairly close to Jacksonville (as you know), and there seems to be tons of good tennis in Jacksonville.
My wife and I are looking for a Florida home, and we're thinking about further south. St Augustine still get's some cold days. It was in the 60's with a cold wind when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

JesseT
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
St Augustine still get's some cold days. It was in the 60's with a cold wind when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

That has to be the quote of the year.

If you like the JAX area, consider Amelia Island, too.

Bottom line, anywhere in FL, you'll get tennis 365, no problem.

Geezer Guy
02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
We were in Amelia Island too. It was colder there.

I see your point, though. To a "Northerner", someone complaining of 60 degree weather in January would seem a bit abusrb.

Reminds me of when we were in Sanibel & Captiva Islands on that same trip. My wife and I were eating at the Mucky Duck on my birthday, and there was a family of four sitting next to us. The waitress asked the kids how school was today, and the kids replied that school had been cancelled because the weather was so cold. It had reached a high of 62 degrees that day, and the school's furnace wouldn't kick on. Seems to me the kids could have worn a sweater or something, but I guess the Administration just didn't want to risk it. I got quite a chuckle out of that.

mikeler
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry I couldn't help but over hear, but I live in Daytona Beach. In Palm Coast which is just a few miles down from St. Augustine has a tennis club there. That is where Andre Agassi started out, I think. Tom Gullikson maybe the coach or the tennis director there.
Down in Daytona Beach there is the USTA center, about 20-30 miles from St. Augustine.
Just a heads up.

Not exactly sure where the USTA center is, but Daytona to St Augustine is around 60 miles. I'm in Orlando, so I don't much about tennis in other areas of the state. St. Augustine is nice to visit, but I would not want to live there. It's a little too small for my liking.

blakesq
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I like small, my wife loves NYC, so it surprised me when she said she was interested in St. Augustine. Women!

Not exactly sure where the USTA center is, but Daytona to St Augustine is around 60 miles. I'm in Orlando, so I don't much about tennis in other areas of the state. St. Augustine is nice to visit, but I would not want to live there. It's a little too small for my liking.

GPB
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I live in Jax, and there are a few (well, at least one) guys who live in St. Augustine and play in the Jacksonville 1st Serve (www.1stserve.com) league. It's a short trip from St. Augustine to the south side of the city, so Jax leagues are something you can think about as well.