PDA

View Full Version : Service Toss Farther Out in Front for the Pinpoint Serve?

Djokovicfan4life
02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I switched to the hybrid pinpoint serve about a month or so ago and my serve has improved beyond belief. I can actually feel my legs being used efficiently and really exploded up and into the ball. My legs don't feel sore any more from serving and my power has gone way up. Still nothing special, but a huge improvement if you knew just how underpowered my serve used to be.

But I've got one problem. It seems like I have to toss the ball a lot farther out in front to hit my serve well. Obviously this wouldn't a bad thing, since technically this takes a little time from my opponents anyway. My question is, does the toss REALLY have to be farther out, or is my perception of the toss just different because of the changes in technique?

Matt

Ballinbob
02-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Woohoo another person changed to pinpoint! I love this stance lol, and I'm sure you will to once you get the hang of it

And yeah, I found that my toss had to be further in front when serving with the pinpoint. I think its because when you bring your legs together your whole body goes forward, so you have to toss the ball further in front as a result. In a platform stance your feet are planted to the ground, and your body doesn't really shift forward, so the toss is a little closer.

Wow, that probably made no sense at all lol. Oh well I tried. But yeah, the toss for me is definitley more infront for me. That was the first thing I noticed as well

LeeD
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I've always stepped the backfoot up against the front during the toss.
Ball toss, if not caught, usually about 18" inside the baseline.
If I'm really dead set on S/V, maybe a bit farther in.
But due to my grip, a continental with lots of backand flavor, I don't need to toss too far into the court, as my body is still somewhat sideways at impact.

Djokovicfan4life
02-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Woohoo another person changed to pinpoint! I love this stance lol, and I'm sure you will to once you get the hang of it

And yeah, I found that my toss had to be further in front when serving with the pinpoint. I think its because when you bring your legs together your whole body goes forward, so you have to toss the ball further in front as a result. In a platform stance your feet are planted to the ground, and your body doesn't really shift forward, so the toss is a little closer.

Wow, that probably made no sense at all lol. Oh well I tried. But yeah, the toss for me is definitley more infront for me. That was the first thing I noticed as well

Yeah, this technique is pure gold, at least for me. I cracked a couple serves today against heavy OK wind and the ball still hit the fence about a foot up. I'm definitely getting more pop than I was before, that's for sure. And yes, your post did make sense. It pretty much summed up what was wrong with my platform serve. Also, the timing of my knee bend was way off with the platform stance. I was bending them WAY too early and by the time I began my forward swing they were almost completely straight! So I was doing a ton of bending, only to arm the serve in the end. Just idiotic.

I subscribe to this site (http://www.virtualtennisacademy.com) and they teach that your back foot should be within three inches of the front foot. They call this the power position, and it really took my serve to the next level. I hit a couple huge serves today, at least for me. My gut broke as well, unfortunately for me. :(

Man, that wind was really crazy today! Excellent for footwork development though. :)

Kevo
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
There's really no reason that the ball needs to be farther out in front for the pinpoint stance. It's probably just that you've also started leaning into the court more as a result of moving forward with your back foot. That's a good thing in general, but you can also toss far out in front with a platform stance. You probably just weren't doing it before for some reason.

Djokovicfan4life
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
There's really no reason that the ball needs to be farther out in front for the pinpoint stance. It's probably just that you've also started leaning into the court more as a result of moving forward with your back foot. That's a good thing in general, but you can also toss far out in front with a platform stance. You probably just weren't doing it before for some reason.

Yeah, like I said in my OP, I think the toss simply looks different to me because of the changes I've made to my serve. Will work on my toss a lot the next few weeks.

Thank you for your help.