PDA

View Full Version : Over the shoulder / Across The body -

Recon
02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Is there any difference from finishing over the shoulder rather then across the body ala windshield wiper? I've watched federer do both and hit the same shots from both finishes. I exclusively finish across the body because it feels more natural to swing faster that way. Anyone have insight on this?

LeeD
02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Doesn't it depend how much topspin, and also where the strike point is in relation to the body?
Shots kinda close you wipe across the front of your body.
Shots farther away you top by WW to keep it in.
Since you lose ball speed on shots into your body, you don't need to WW.

oneguy21
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I find it more natural to finish across the body. It allows me to hit a flat drive or hit some topspin. If I hit a topspin forehand, it would be the ww.

However, it won't hurt to have an over the shoulder forehand.

Recon
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Confusing reply.
Shots kinda close you wipe across the front of your body.
So you "wipe" (assuming you mean windshield WIPE) the balls close to your body. Is what I'm reading there.
Shots farther away you top by WW to keep it in.
And shots far away from you, you Windshield Wiper to keep it in.

So where does over the shoulder come in??

Maybe i'm the one confused...Usually when you finish around the body it is a windshield wiper forehand...or is it not? I've never seen a windshield wipe forehand over the shoulder, so across the body/waist is the only way right?

SystemicAnomaly
02-01-2009, 11:42 PM
You'll find that players using an Eastern FH grip tend to use the classic "over the shoulder finish". Those who employ a Western or SW grip are more apt to finish with a WW. Federer's grip is closer to an extreme Eastern (or mild SW) which could explain why his finishes are sometimes classic OTS, WW or something in between. Other factors can also influence the type of finish employed -- such as, amount of topspin desired, location of the contact point, & swing path.

junbumkim
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think when you grow up you get more affected by how a guy plays. I remember when I was very young and you see a picture of a player, and then you say, Oh, this is how you got to hit a forehand. Then you start doing it and your coach says, What are you doing?

I was like, Well, I saw this picture of Sampras playing this forehand, and his follow‑through was like this. He says, Well, this was maybe a just a follow‑through in a particular moment, but this is not how he hits every forehand.

Followthrough can vary depending on the type of shot coming in and intended to hit.

I have a traditional followthrough with a strong eastern forehand. On some shots, I usually end up hitting so called windshield wiper forehand and have a much lower finish.

Recon
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks. It cleared up my question.