PDA

View Full Version : Strong High bouncing balls how to counter?

supertrex
02-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I thought my patience just giving it back to my opponent till they suffer will work. but I guess not!

forehand high kick bouncing ball how do you counter this with less risk aggressive return?

I tried hitting on the rise, and I only have 50% success rate on it.
his high bouncing ball is really fast.

im using eastern forehand. and eastern & contintal 1BH. 85" headsize and 88"

ronalditop
02-01-2009, 08:16 PM
if his high ball is on the rise or close to it i just return with a high ballas well. if i catch the ball while its on his way up i just try returning it with some pace, buti dont try to hit winners from that position cause i know there a big chance of losing the point. i just wait till he hits a normal height ball to start atacking him with fast balls.

supertrex
02-01-2009, 08:30 PM
if his high ball is on the rise or close to it i just return with a high ballas well. if i catch the ball while its on his way up i just try returning it with some pace, buti dont try to hit winners from that position cause i know there a big chance of losing the point. i just wait till he hits a normal height ball to start atacking him with fast balls.

thats what I thought at first that he will give me regular forehand height ball. but this is really different. hes normal height on his balls is high bouncing all of them.
and almost all landing deep 2- 3 ft from baseline.

And yes trying to hit winners vs him is really not a good idea. I was giving it back with some speed and rushing to the net. Won some net points but then he evolved and making passing shot left and right. then im back to baseline thinking wtf to do.

just wanna klnow what other shots can be done vs this type of high bouncing balls. especially deep once.

LeeD
02-02-2009, 08:32 AM
The new style is to hit with major topspin, clearing the net by lots, and giving a high bounce to the opponent.
Not easy on your forehand, as your grip is tailored for waist high balls. You can hard slice off your eastern forehand grip, give it low net clearance, move forward thru the underspin stroke, and make him dig.
You can switch to SW like him.
You can dictate the point by going hard at the open court, then alternate right into the body.
Basically, you're playing against the kind of tennis you will face in the future, so you have to adapt to the higher bouncing balls.

Djokovicfan4life
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
The new style is to hit with major topspin, clearing the net by lots, and giving a high bounce to the opponent.
Not easy on your forehand, as your grip is tailored for waist high balls. You can hard slice off your eastern forehand grip, give it low net clearance, move forward thru the underspin stroke, and make him dig.
You can switch to SW like him.
You can dictate the point by going hard at the open court, then alternate right into the body.
Basically, you're playing against the kind of tennis you will face in the future, so you have to adapt to the higher bouncing balls.

Believe it or not, all the forehand grips, eastern to western, should ideally be taken at waist height, IMO. It can be argued that the full western should be taken a little higher, but that's irrelevent to this thread anyway. The key here is simply to learn how to take the ball at waist height contact, whenever possible. As always, good footwork is the key here. Learning to cut off the angles, using proper "V" footwork is crucial. I started a thread on this very concept that Solat replied to with some excellent advice. It may be worth a look for the OP, or anyone looking to develop their positional footwork.

Matt

mikeler
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Returning a high topspin ball with another high topspin ball is what I usually do. I have one opponent that counters my deep topspin shots by volleying the ball out of the air. I can't do this effectively enough, but somehow he makes it work and brings the point back to neutral many times. He does tend to hit a few balls that I think are going out at times though.

Nellie
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I would not change my game to match the opponents. If you want balls at waist height, you can either steop forward and take the ball on the rise (as previously suggested) or step back and take the ball as it falls. IF you are coming forward, be aggressive and go for more angle/pace. If you are moving back, you are striving to neutralize the shots and wait for an opening. You should hit conservatively and strive to continue the point.

If you are trading heavy, loopy topspin, chances are your opponent will win the rally because he/she seems to do this more naturally.

junbumkim
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Each and every forehand grip has an ideal contact point.

IDEALLY, you want to make a contact at this point, but it's impossible in reality. On some shots, you will have to hit at much lower than your fh contact point, and higher than your fh contact point.

How to counter strong high bouncing ball really depends on your court position, type of incoming shot, and your ability.

There is no one right answer to this question.

supertrex
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
well I dont care about right or wrong answers.

All options are acceptable and can be executed depending on the situation.

More options I know that can be used then Ill try to use em all.

I was watching Sampras vs Chang. on Changs high bouncing forehand Pete will kinda smash it FH sideways. :) but I dont know if Chang is using huge amount of topspin or it just bounce like that.

tata
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Just tap the ball back and moon ball him til he gets ****ed off hahahaha