PDA

View Full Version : The Whip Shot

Liv3 For It
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Is the Whip Shot useful? (The Whip Shot is when you follow-through over your hitting shoulder.)

If it is useful, when are you supossed to use it? Are you supossed to use it often?

Djokovicfan4life
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
This is a shot that is used when a player doesn't have the luxury of getting a full rotation off of their shot. Like on running forehand passing shots, for example. The follow through is simply a way of naturally decelerating the racquet, rather than something that you should focus on in your forehand. It will happen naturally depending on the situation. Don't try to be Nadal and hit it every other shot. It will just lead to trouble, believe me.

Matt

oneguy21
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
You should use it when you are on the run.

Liv3 For It
02-02-2009, 02:44 PM
what about on low slices?

sonicboi21
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
its not called a whip shot. its called a reverse forehand

SystemicAnomaly
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
... Don't try to be Nadal and hit it every other shot. It will just lead to trouble, believe me.

Matt

Noticed that Rafa was using it a lot less during the 2 weeks of the AO -- at least up until the last set or 2 against Fed. Perhaps he's trying to make sure that his shoulder lasts til he's at least 30. Speaking of Fed, i noticed that he used the drop shot quite a bit in the late sets of the final against Rafa -- something Roger rarely employs -- he was trying his damnest to wear out Rafa.

ttbrowne
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I use this when I'm pulled wide to my forehand and on the run. Very useful. But I agree that it can cause shoulder problems if overused.

Bud
02-02-2009, 07:20 PM
It's also a useful follow through on high bouncing shots to the forehand ;)

BU-Tennis
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
This type of stroke doesn't hurt my shoulder at all. I think this is because it is very natural for the way I play. I use an Eastern/SW forehand (somewhere in between there) and on some shots my hand just flies over my head. I don't plan it, it is just natural. The follow through really isn't important at all. It is just path of least resistance that the racquet takes. But, the reverse forehand happens when the ball gets behind you and you can't meet the ball out in front.

Think about Nadal, Davenport, and Sharapova. they use these shots quite often, and sharapova and davenport are in the top ten of average speed on the forehand.

When you find yourself using the reverse finish too much, try to meet the ball and hit it out in front of you more.

Noaler
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
nvm 10 char

jmverdugo
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
It can hurt your wrist too ... if you whip it too much

skuludo
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
You can still hit the reverse forehand when you hit out in front. I saw Kei Nishikori hit the shot out in front when the ball was at his shoulders.

Bud
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
You can still hit the reverse forehand when you hit out in front. I saw Kei Nishikori hit the shot out in front when the ball was at his shoulders.

It really is handy for hitting high bouncing balls to the forehand :wink:

When I hit the shot... I imagine a bullfighter yelling... Ole! :D

Storm_Kyori
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I do this on a short serve, gives me a good angle shot.

sukivan
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I use it for:
- sharp crosscourt angles when I'm retrieving a short, low slice
- first serve returns
- retrieving wide shots on the run (deuce side)

sukivan
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
make sure you get maximum extension
most people who try this shot end up with an abbreviated, powerless motion. if you get maximum extension, this is actually the ideal way to hit high balls way out in front of you.

GeorgeLucas
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Labeled: For on the run only. Except you, Nadal.

Tomek_tennis
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
When?
- when you are late
- when the ball is to your side and very low

sukivan
02-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I use it to hit very early and very high, but your technique (particularly extension) has to be superb or else you're better off with a traditional forehand.

user92626
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I tried to this shot and I rather avoid it. You can hit the racket to the side of your head or face if you're not careful.

sukivan
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I tried to this shot and I rather avoid it. You can hit the racket to the side of your head or face if you're not careful.

you're doing it wrong

user92626
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
you're doing it wrong

Of course.

the question is what's the cost / benefit to have it? For example I am also not so eager to learn the between the leg shot. My tennis is fine without it.

orangettecoleman
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
This type of stroke doesn't hurt my shoulder at all. I think this is because it is very natural for the way I play. I use an Eastern/SW forehand (somewhere in between there) and on some shots my hand just flies over my head. I don't plan it, it is just natural. The follow through really isn't important at all. It is just path of least resistance that the racquet takes. But, the reverse forehand happens when the ball gets behind you and you can't meet the ball out in front.

Think about Nadal, Davenport, and Sharapova. they use these shots quite often, and sharapova and davenport are in the top ten of average speed on the forehand.

When you find yourself using the reverse finish too much, try to meet the ball and hit it out in front of you more.

Sharapova's shoulder is ruined, very possibly because she used this shot all the time for no reason and ground her shoulder to bits. unless you have 40 lbs of muscle around your rotator cuff like nadal I wouldn't recommend hitting this shot regularly.

Bud
02-05-2009, 09:53 PM
make sure you get maximum extension
most people who try this shot end up with an abbreviated, powerless motion. if you get maximum extension, this is actually the ideal way to hit high balls way out in front of you.

Exactly. You definitely know if you're hitting it correctly. It's a really handy shot but is a bit more harsh on the wrist. I just use it for certain types of balls.

Bud
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Lol.. I don't think you're executing the shot properly, then. I've never hit my face/head.

Bud
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
you're doing it wrong

Of course.

the question is what's the cost / benefit to have it? For example I am also not so eager to learn the between the leg shot. My tennis is fine without it.

I never intentionally tried to learn the reverse forehand... I automatically started using it for certain balls.

1. If a ball is hit at me low and flat and I'm late getting to it and hitting it... I'll automatically use this shot. It goes back over the net hard and flat. I generally prefer more topspin placed deep in the court. Unfortunately, the luxury of such a return isn't always available against some opponents.

2. Return of serve... if I want to return a hard flat serve back over the net hard/flat... I'll use the reverse forehand follow-through.

3. High-bouncing balls to my forehand that I've missed taking early. There's something about the reverse forehand follow through that make it much easier to hit high-bouncing balls. I think the follow through allows the ball to still be hit low to high... even though the ball is taken near the high point of its bounce.

** I may use this shot 10 times during a match. I use it more if I'm facing an opponent with a hard/flat serve to my forehand on return of serve. I think overusing it may injure a wrist. Never felt anything in my shoulder from using the shot, though.

Liv3 For It
02-06-2009, 03:00 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

halalula1234
02-07-2009, 02:44 AM
for on the run on for hitting ball that bounces behind u