PDA

View Full Version : The Federer volley

Farz77
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Check these volleys from the forehand and backhand wings. The backhand ones are a lot better.

Also, if you guys could put in point-form what Federer does on his volley to hit it so clean, firm, with accuracy and pace like in these ones.

BH volley :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tkWTgEeiOMY&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u0l1Cgf1fvg&feature=related
FH volley :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T_gx0Fy8l-o&feature=related

Much appreciated

Mada
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Weren't you the 5.5 15 yr old that was supposed to post a video of himself?

zacinnc78
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
he really steps into those fast volleys ...you can see him stamp his foot forward kinda like a wwf wrestler does to make their puches sound more vicious lol ...and also moving forward with the racket instead of chopping down(which he does on those droppers)

so....weight forward ...elbow in ..wrist firm

sonicboi21
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
also to hit the ball out in front of you instead of next to you. you lose a lot of control and power like that

LeeD
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Seems most of the BH volleys are hit right at him, so easier putaway with forward motion. Notice he slices much harder on the BH than FH volleys.
He can put away FH volleys also, but is stretched out wide on quite a few. His FH volley is more traditional short punch, still with forward body motion.
So we gotta sorta remember, the BH volleys needs more swing and more motion, because it's sliced more, to achieve the same pace and depth.

jasoncho92
02-02-2009, 02:44 PM
There are too many 15 year old self-proclaimed 5.5s on this forum for me to remember, but i think you are one of them. Funny how a 5.5 cant volley properly.

Dont emulate feds forehand volley. He drops the wrist down and makes it go long quite often

WildVolley
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Federer is not one of the all-time greats when it comes to the volley, but he still has good technique and is effective from the net.

He keeps his motion small, controls the racket face, and usually puts underspin on the ball. His footwork is also good. He usually moves forward into the volley and places it well. He also does a good job of tracking the ball and keeping his head still at contact.

I don't know if those videos show his half-volley, but sometimes off his backhand side his touch is magical.

Element54
02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
thanks for the vids

certifiedjatt
02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Weren't you the 5.5 15 yr old that was supposed to post a video of himself?

i think he is!
this guy must have PERFECT forehands and PERFECT backhands and PERFECT serves to be a 5.5, at 15, without knowing how to volley.

EikelBeiter
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
There are too many 15 year old self-proclaimed 5.5s on this forum for me to remember, but i think you are one of them. Funny how a 5.5 cant volley properly.

Dont emulate feds forehand volley. He drops the wrist down and makes it go long quite often

Yes don't emulate the volley of an Olympic Doubles champion, one of the best players ever, a guy who beat Sampras on Wimbledon playing service volley. That volley if definately not good enough for a 15 year old to emulate.

Nellie
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I remember, last summer, Canas beat Federer twice by hitting over and over to the forehand volley.

BGB.CA
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
If you can only come up with two situations where he lost because of his fh volley in a ~10yr career its probably a pretty solid shot. Canas was putting a ton of pressure on Federer's attacking game in those matches the technique he uses and how it holds up in pressure aren't the same thing. It is generally true that a technically solid shot will be harder to break down but anyone can miss any shot if they are pressured enough.