PDA

View Full Version : Federers strings?

kupo
04-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I heard he uses natural gut/luxilon hybrid, but i was wondering if anybody knows what tension, and if the gut is in the mains or the crosses?

NoBadMojo
04-02-2004, 06:22 AM
the last i knew he was indeed using vs gut and alu hybrid w. the gut in the mains. i dont know tension. ed

lendl lives
04-02-2004, 07:20 AM
anyone know the tension?

James Brown
04-02-2004, 11:52 AM
27-28kg

check his official website.

alricqian
04-02-2004, 02:27 PM
federer's string tension is 63 lbs for both main/cross when he was playing watson's challenge. besides, there're probably 8g of lead tap on the inner throat of racquet.

touchytennis
04-02-2004, 09:09 PM
i thought it was 61 pounds for both... did you talk to his stringeR?

alricqian
04-03-2004, 04:23 AM
someone in hong kong had been talking to the official stringer of watson's challege. he posted it on net saying 63 lbs was the string tension for Fed's racquet...
besides, they string it with wilson natural gut for main, and alu-power rough for cross...i just don't know whether this is true

lendl lives
04-06-2004, 09:34 AM
seems like the racket would have to be strung tighter. ((just from my playing experience) maybe around 65-70lbs.

Lambro
04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Rog uses 63 lbs on the Vertical Luxilon string and 59 Lbs on the gut horizontal.

I originally got the measeurments in kiloponds from someone in Rog's group.

Keroppi
05-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Lambro, 63/59 on eletronic machine?

Cigo
05-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Perhaps his racquets are more flexible then stock Tour 90's, if it's a special mold why not. This would explain why he can string at these tensions and still keep the ball on the court. Then again, his skills play a part too. :lol:

bsandy
05-03-2004, 05:37 AM
The ALU in the crosses stiffens the sting bed making the gut play tighter.

. . . Bud

Cigo
05-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Well I was just following up on the whole thing about people saying that Tour 90 was too powerful for a players frame because of hyper carbon. This of course coming from hyper Pro Staff 6.1 users :wink: and i, LM and oldschool Prestige(not a powerful racquet) users that I know. The racquets didn't feel that stiff when I had Alu Power at 60 in them, this contributes to my flex theory. Still, I do think an Alu/Gut blend at 63/59(or 61) would feel great. I guess I'm getting too used to the notion of pros using 14 oz frames strung at 80 guzillion pounds. :D

jings
05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Fed has gut mains and Alu rough crosses. There is a great picture in the "Federer Tour 90" thread just below this one. He used Bab VS but has switched to Wilson gut. His website says the followiing.

"I play with half synthetic strings and the other half Wilson gut strings. The tension depends on the surface, the balls as well as the temperature and thus varies between 24 and 28 kg."

As to Tour 90, it isn't that stiff to hit with at all, in fact quite a soft feel imo. Certainly not too powerful as a players frame. I've had a few strings through mine from multi's through all gut and now this gut / alu hybrid. Fed's set up is the most comfortable I've hit with. I started at 62 mains and 58 crosses, but have settled on 60 mains 56 crosses.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey jings, whats durability like with that stuff? Do you break strings often, how much spin do you hit with? Is that a worthy setup? Syn mains and poly crosses?

jings
05-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi PCMD. To give you some idea I hit 2-3 times a week on average for an hour or more. I have 2 Tour 90s strung gut mains alu rough cross and had them done about 3 months ago - still going strong, but I do swap about on the sticks. I'm not a big string breaker, but when I do it's invariably crosses - so Alu doing its stuff there at the moment. Durability I would say is good. I've got a couple of string savers in which definitely help I think. The Alu locks in very tight and so I think there is minimal friction on the strings. I hit with average spin I'd say, nothing extraordinary, s/h off both wings. But I never have to move the strings back in place - they really do lock in, it's fantastic. I hit with reasonable pace, so the strings get a work out and they just never move.

If you haven't tried it PCMD I'd really recommend it - hard to describe the feel but it's lively without being daft but crisp and clean on the hit. I'm using Bow in the mains which makes it a "cheap" set up - but at this rate it's going to way outlast Bab Xcel, my previous go to string, and is way more playable after 3 months as well. Haven't tried the syn / poly cross yet - may never bother either!

jings
05-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Sorry, one last thing. If you try this, I'd recommend taking the Alu Rough tension down a bit - seems to let you keep good gut feel but still does enough to "crisp" the overall string bed. Badly explained but hopefully you get the drift. I'm lovin' it at 60 mains and 56 cross.