PDA

View Full Version : Shortened Length Matches - league play

J-Mac
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on the format of matches to use when you only have an hour and a half to play?

I started playing in a new league but need to play my matches indoors within 1.5 hours until the weather gets better.

The TennisTour is mainly geared towards outdoor tennis from what I've seen.

cak
02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
It depends on how strict the 1.5 hours is. The vast majority of 2 set matches end in 90 minutes. At our club we have 2 hour slots, and if there is a match in the following slot we play a 10 point super tie break instead of a full third set. This weekend we had a 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 match that, including the supertiebreaker, took 2 hours 15 minutes, but the following match chose to wait for the court rather than kick us off, which they could have done.

If we are bumped for time in our league the two opponents have to choose another time before the end of the season to finish the match.

If it's really strict you can play no ad games and come in under 90 minutes.

Ronaldo
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Isn't there a league rule on how to determine who is ahead with 5 or 10 minutes left?

thanatos2948
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Play a ten point tiebreaker to determine the third set and ultimately the match. It definetely isn't as gratifying as being able to play the match out but under time constraints it works out fairly well.

GPB
02-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Playing no-ad helps, too.

PimpMyGame
02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
I've played no-ad before and although it certainly helps, it's a little brutal. Especially when coming back from 15-40 or 0-40 and you opponent gets a lucky net cord, or there is a dubious call on 2nd serve to double the game away.

Ten-point breaker would be my preferred option.

J-Mac
02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
yeah, I guess if you go with a short warmup of about 10 minutes then you can get two sets in plus a tie break if needed.

Probably need to play no-add.

thanks for all the input

mikeler
02-03-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm not a fan of this approach, but you could also play 1 pro set to 8.

Nellie
02-03-2009, 06:06 AM
In my area, we play all our indoor matches with a 1.5 hour time limit.

According to the local rules, we play best 2 out of 3 sets, with the third set being a 10 point tie breaker. There are then a series of tie breaking rules that come into effect when you do not complete the match (e.g, total games won, winner of the first set, 1 point tie break, coin flip, etc.) It is sometimes unfair, but we all accept the rules when we sign up for the league.

Geezer Guy
02-03-2009, 07:46 AM
As long as you keep your warm-up to a reasonable time, you can usually get in two full sets (with regular scoring) easily within the 1.5 hours. If a third set is needed you can either play a 10-point tie-break or start a regular third set if you think you have time.

Ronaldo
02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
As long as you keep your warm-up to a reasonable time, you can usually get in two full sets (with regular scoring) easily within the 1.5 hours. If a third set is needed you can either play a 10-point tie-break or start a regular third set if you think you have time.

Should ask if this is singles or dubs? Dubs usually end points faster.

marcb
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on the format of matches to use when you only have an hour and a half to play?

I started playing in a new league but need to play my matches indoors within 1.5 hours until the weather gets better.

The TennisTour is mainly geared towards outdoor tennis from what I've seen.

Here are the USTA Winter rules for league play in Salt Lake City. Court time is at a premium in the Winter and 90 minutes means 90 minutes. They are meant to be played no ad. I copied this from the local website and there were two typos so I added language in [ ]'s. Can't wait for Spring ...

PROCEDURES FOR ENDING MATCHES:

1. With 15 minutes remaining, complete the game currently in progress.

2. If, upon completion of this game, one team is ahead by 2 or more games, they win the set.

3. If, upon completion of this game, one team is ahead by only one game, play another game. If upon completion of this game, one team is ahead by 2 games, they win the set. However if games are now tied, play a Tiebreaker, first to 7 by 2, to determine the [set winner].

4. If sets are now tied, play another [10 point] Tiebreaker to determine the match winner.

5. Matches using this procedure to end matches are reported as "Timed Matches" with 1-0 used as the set scores for reporting the Tiebreakers. Other set scores 4-2, 3-1 5-3 may be entered as such, but should also be reported as "Timed Matches".

6. Due to the length of some matches, players may have to "spin a racquet" to determine a winner. 90 minutes is all the time that is allowed for completion of the matches.

7. Some matches may be completed within the 90 minutes allowed, these matches may be reported as "Completed".

Jim A
02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
last league was 90 minutes, we would take 10 or so to warm up
best of 3 sets, no-ad with a 10pt supertiebreaker if no time for a 3rd set

only 2 of my matches went 3 sets, played the supertiebreaker in one of them and since we were over time and had to come back for the other we decided to just play a full set..I'm not Nadal but I'm not the fastest player either

shouldn't be too much of an issue

Geezer Guy
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Should ask if this is singles or dubs? Dubs usually end points faster.

Singles, played indoors on a hard court. Most of the guys I usually play against tend to try to end points quickly. (And, we rarely take change-over breaks. We just grab a quick drink of water at end of set. We usually don't even sit down.) No Nadal/Verdasco matches around here!
And you're right - Doubles goes even faster.

Topaz
02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
In my area, we play all our indoor matches with a 1.5 hour time limit.

According to the local rules, we play best 2 out of 3 sets, with the third set being a 10 point tie breaker. There are then a series of tie breaking rules that come into effect when you do not complete the match (e.g, total games won, winner of the first set, 1 point tie break, coin flip, etc.) It is sometimes unfair, but we all accept the rules when we sign up for the league.

Ditto...that's what we do as well. In fact, Nellie, I've often wondered if we play in the same area?

NetMaster70
02-04-2009, 05:25 AM
We also play a "match tiebreak" (first to 10 pts and lead by 2) in lieu of a third set.

I do understand the reasons for doing it but I don't like it for a couple reasons: 1) too much luck is involved and 2) when a match splits sets it is usually a great match _ which would be fun to play out in a complete 3rd set.

jefferson
02-11-2009, 04:05 AM
I read that someone posted an 8 game pro set. If this is the situation and has to be done, I 'd much rather play a 10 game pro set. ALMOST 2 full sets without the possibility of a third set. First one to ten games win by two.