PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Atlanta advice on ALTA

marcb
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi, we're considering a move to Atlanta and I'm looking for some advice on ALTA. I've read the previous posts and have a pretty good general sense of how it works. From what I've read, there are no player rankings like USTA. You join a team that has lines 1-5 that fall within what you think would be your level and play the matches. The results then determine whether the entire team moves up or not. I'm a NTRP computer ranked 3.5 doubles player in the Intermountain section (I guess folks might call this a 3.0 ;).

So what's the straight deal with how to find a good team with a good captain? Does their site publish historical records like USTA so you can find an experienced team? Any good tactics on finding team contacts? I see that they list the email for the VP of the league. Is that like contacting a USTA section coordinator?

Since it's not possible to match an NTRP rank to an ALTA team rank, is it better to start low and move up or better to try for a team at the upper end of your abilities. My experience with USTA was that self ranking at 3.0 and moving up was helpful in gaining experience in competitive play but after a while was hurting my game by having to play down to self ranked beginners. After coming in second at sectionals I decided that I'd rather lose at 3.5 and just found teams that would allow me to play.

What areas/neighborhood are considered to be more popular? I read a little bit and gather that it started as an urban/metro league but now encompases a large number of neighborhood subdivisions with tennis facilities.

Any other advice you think I should take? And finally, how long does natural gut last in 100% humidity ... ug. Hate to have to switch ; )

Z-Man
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
It seems like a lot of teams are organized by home court, so start with your neighborhood, co-workers, club, or closest public courts. At the lower levels, it's really social anyway, so just try to have fun and meet people. I don't know what 3.0 or 3.5 translates to. Mabye B-something? From what I've seen, there can be a 2-level spread. I played on an A3 team that won the city. Our 1s were 4.5s, our 2s and 3s were 4.0s and 4.5s, and our 4s and 5s were 3.5s. I played the 1 or 2 spot on the A3 team, now I'm playing 4 or 5 on a AA3 team. At AA3 our 1s are 5.0+.

If you really like tennis, choose a neighborhood with some active courts. If you see a bunch of USTA and ALTA banners hanging on the fences, you know you're in the right place.

Court Valkyrie
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I am a 3.5 here north of atlanta, and struggled at B-6. Maybe because my partner liked to float the ball to the net player at line 1. I started playing 3yrs ago at C-3 and won two or three out of 7 matches. yes start low if you dominate and your team sucks, you stay the same level as your team. you get moved up as a team not ind. like USTA.

amarone
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
ALTA covers a huge area, but the biggest concentrations are outside the perimeter (I-285), from about 11 o'clock (Marietta) to 2 o'clock (Gwinnett County). As a 3.5 player (low or high?) you could play anywhere from mid-low A (at 5s) to high C (at 1s). I am a low 4.0 player and I play at 1s and 2s on a high B team.

The ALTA site (www.altatennis.org) allows you to see the records of teams. There is also a link to help you find a team.

As has been suggested, I would look to move to a subdivision that has an active tennis community. There are many that have swim/tennis at a reasonable price. I pay $700 per year for the entire homeowners' association fees that includes tennis and pool for the family plus all the usual HOA stuff. Our subdivision has about 350 homes and has four tennis courts and fields four men's ALTA teams.

JesseT
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
As an ALTA captain, I'll throw my $0.02USD in...

keep the gut for the spring and fall (men's/women's seasons). go hybrid (poly/syn) or multi for our summers and winters (mixed). Either that or expect to restring every week.

Oh yeah, let's be clear, there's tennis 365 here. It can get cold (30-ish) and warm (95+). ALTA rules state that matches can be postponed due to weather extremes; but I've never had it happen with my teams.

Many people, like me, play 4 ALTA seasons a year, plus T2 (another doubles league), USTA, KSwiss. If you're a lady, you can even play "Thursday Women's" in addition to Sunday Womens and Mixed, giving you 6 seasons a year (and USTA, T2, Peach, etc etc). And that's still not counting the 4 tournaments a year, the dozens of USTA tournaments and neighborhood round-robins....Man, what a tennis city!!

Oh, and for USTA folk, ALTA has no singles lines. All 5 lines are doubles.

The bit about ratings from the other folks isn't entirely accurate; but in your case (a new player) you're fine. Here's the deal.
There *are* individual ratings, but they only impact the team. For example, if 6 A6 players and 6 C6 players form a team, an ALTA formula will place the *team* at somewhere in the B. The levels overlap tremendously. I've played low B teams that would crush A teams. And teams rarely move between major levels unless they take on new players. If you play in high school, played in college (I LOVE this rule), your *TEAM* must be rated B or higher. If you play for money or teach, A or higher (AA is likely). In other words, if you're THAT good, the C team won't take you lest you break the curve, pro-boy.

because of the 120k+ tennis players (registered USTA, T2, ALTA, Peach...accounting for some overlap), I've found ratings to be "low" here. IE, I thought I sucked as a "kswiss 3.0" until I waxed some of my central-Florida co-workers who were 4.0-4.5s. Just goes to show...

Finally, about the subdivisions. Yes, that's usually the best way to play. There are HUNDREDS of swim/tennis communities. Some are practically tennis clubs (one near me has 2 full-time tennis pros and 17 courts...and it's a 'neighborhood s&t' not a CC or TC), others are more traditional like mine (2 courts and a pool...no pros). The north area is tremendously competitive and dense; I estimate about 45 teams within 3 miles of my house. Many teams have 20-30 players. That doesn't mean it's not fun, but it'll be different if you're used to playing weekly.

it also means teams can be rigid. ALTA has rules for the # of teams per club (1 per court). If the hood already has, say, an AA1 and A1 team (unlikely, but work with me) and you can't really cut it...you're kinda stuck looking for another team even though you live right next to the courts and are paying HOA for the privilege of not playing until you get better.

Seriously, though, this is tennis heaven and you'll love it. Check out where you're moving. Ask the agent (unless you're dealing with Rhonda Duffy...then you just get a website). Since playing tennis is important, visit the clubhouse of your potential hood. Chances are, there's postings about the ALTA teams there.

Speaking from experience, we're always happy to take in new players. ...especially if they're good :D

amarone
02-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Oh yeah, let's be clear, there's tennis 365 here. It can get cold (30-ish) and warm (95+). It can get significantly colder - it is 12 degrees at my house right now, with wind-chill taking it below zero (although the rules do not allow for wind-chill).

JesseT
02-04-2009, 03:43 AM
It can get significantly colder - it is 12 degrees at my house right now, with wind-chill taking it below zero (although the rules do not allow for wind-chill).

heh heh. i was thinking someone would point out our rather chilly week when I typed.

that said, I still played tennis yesterday and will today.

spot
02-04-2009, 04:53 AM
If you want to find a good alta team I STRONGLY recommend joining ultimatetennis.com. Its a great little singles league and if you are a decent player and you start telling people that you are looking for a team I bet you find one no problem at all.

There can be a wide variance of skill within every team. Its not like USTA where everyone on the team is supposed to be 3.5. They want any group of friends to be able to put together a team and play together even if they are at different skill levels. Every player on the team has the same rating- alta thinks that winning at line 1 is the same as losing at line 5 in their eyes which is the biggest frustration to me. On my mens team we have 5.5 players all the way down to 3.5 guys. You will find C level teams playing out of a neighborhood that have one randomly great player living there where the dropoff from line 1 to even line 2 is huge.

What part of town are you going to be living in? Another good way to find a team is to talk to a local tennis pro. They will generally be able to steer you in the right direction.

Also- you can take advantage of the fact that there is no "self rate" for ALTA. You could be a former college player and to ALTA you are a 1.0 player. You can join any team you want in midseason with no problem at all.

jgn1013
02-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Depending on where you live, try going to public tennis centers if your neighborhood does not have an ALTA team. Blackburn Park, Roswell Tennis Center, Sandy Springs TC, Terrill Mill TC & Harrison TC just to name a few. If you don't like playing singles, get a partner and sign up for T2, this may help you find a competitive ALTA team.

There are a lot of neighborhoods in the Cumming, Canton, Lawrenceville & Alpharetta area that have tennis facilities, 6+ courts and a part time head pro.

TheGreatestAudia
02-04-2009, 05:30 AM
I live in Acworth and I played a set the other night. The balls we played with were entirely useless by the 5th game because of the cold. Briefly thought about playing with some racquetballs! ;-)

JesseT
02-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Would everyone just feel better if I said 340? 335?
:D

PushyPushster
02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Would everyone just feel better if I said 340? 335?

I played a KSwiss match in the evening last year when it had flurried earlier in the morning. I'm good with 365. :-)

marcb
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow, super. Thank you all for the good advice. Moving is a big maybe at this point but at least I know I'd be in good company. I went to UGA so I know the weather well. In Utah I've played in a snow flurry and in 110 degree heat so extremes aren't a problem. No humidity though, ugh, I'm surprised the balls don't get stuck in the air on a service toss.

I'll bet going from high altitude, no humidity to sea level, high humidity would be a nice relief. Even special high altitude balls have a tendency to fly a bit ...

I knew ATL was a tennis city but your informed answers may change that impression to mecca.

Thanks!

netman
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Just to add to the great info provided - ALTA is structured as a social league first, hence the non-correlation with USTA ratings. The focus is on the team, not the individual. As stated above, the real key to a good time in ALTA is finding a bunch of like-minded individuals to play with. Want the match to be a social event with lots of beer and food - join a team with that focus. Still have delusions of making it on the Tour some day (or struggling with latent over-competitiveness) - find a bunch of hard cores and play for a City Championship plate every season. BTW, the sandbagging in ALTA makes USTA sand baggers look like choir boys, so don't ever try to equate player ability with an ALTA team rating. :)

From a pure social standpoint, joining a neighborhood team is a great way to meet your neighbors that share your love of tennis and quickly get into a fun social group.

Slicendicer
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Depending on what part of Atlanta you're in, there will be tennis close-by. Hudlow TC has some good teams at 3.5 level and ALTA B. 770-417-2210

Be prepared to play alot of guys who aren't really that good, but take their tennis waaaay too seriously. I've dodged 4-5 fist fights because of line calls and disputes while playing ALTA... 1 of them was my fault, I hit the netman in the neck with a first serve and the whole team rushed the court. At match point I served an ace, probably the best serve I hit allday and he called it out with a smart-assed grin.

There are some really sore losers in ALTA... all for the coveted "bag-tag".

TheGreatestAudia
02-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Depending on what part of Atlanta you're in, there will be tennis close-by. Hudlow TC has some good teams at 3.5 level and ALTA B. 770-417-2210

Be prepared to play alot of guys who aren't really that good, but take their tennis waaaay too seriously. I've dodged 4-5 fist fights because of line calls and disputes while playing ALTA... 1 of them was my fault, I hit the netman in the neck with a first serve and the whole team rushed the court. At match point I served an ace, probably the best serve I hit allday and he called it out with a smart-assed grin.

The "Bag-Tag" is a close second to the Wimbledon Trophy for the most coveted prize in all of tennis.

netman
02-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Here is a story to put ALTA trinkets in perspective. Was walking through a thrift store last year. As I passed the glasses and dishes did a double take. For sale were 2 ALTA City Champions plates. $2 a piece. They were gone 2 days later. Now that's an easy way to get some hardware. :)

JesseT
02-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Here is a story to put ALTA trinkets in perspective. Was walking through a thrift store last year. As I passed the glasses and dishes did a double take. For sale were 2 ALTA City Champions plates. $2 a piece. They were gone 2 days later. Now that's an easy way to get some hardware. :)

hahaha. city plates. that's priceless.

I think there's a deeper meaning in that story. And if we learn its lesson, there will be peace.

netman
02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
From a pure social standpoint, joining a neighborhood team is a great way to meet your neighbors that share your love of tennis and quickly get into a fun social group.

Forgot to add this - if you really are into tennis, and plan to purchase or rent a house, choose an Atlanta neighborhood that has a big facility. Good rule of thumb is any neighborhood with 4 or more courts (6 or more is even better) is going to have a very active tennis community. Not just league teams, but social events, neighborhood ladders and tournaments and lots of pickup play. If there is a pro on staff, then lessons and other training activities will be available year round. All without the high fees of a typical country club or sports club. You can talk to residents when shopping and get the scoop on the tennis vibe in their neighborhood.

beernutz
02-05-2009, 07:12 AM
My brother lives here: http://www.glenabbey.ws/outside_home.asp and they really really like it. Glen Abbey has eleven lighted courts and a pro.

marcb
02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks again for all the helpful and positive advice. I definitely play to have fun, otherwise what's the point. I'm 40 and won't be rocking the tour in this lifetime. I do play to win though otherwise I would just stick with rec tennis. I think the competitive aspect makes it more enjoyable. Sure the lows are lower but the highs are higher.

Anyone know of any areas in or near Buckhead to recommend? My wife is from ATL and prefers this area.

Thanks!

Slicendicer
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks again for all the helpful and positive advice. I definitely play to have fun, otherwise what's the point. I'm 40 and won't be rocking the tour in this lifetime. I do play to win though otherwise I would just stick with rec tennis. I think the competitive aspect makes it more enjoyable. Sure the lows are lower but the highs are higher.

Anyone know of any areas in or near Buckhead to recommend? My wife is from ATL and prefers this area.

Thanks!

I wouldn't move to Buckhead. Buckhead has changed a lot over the last 10 years. Look to Dunwoody and Sandy Springs, great tennis areas and access to ATL.

amarone
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
You should have told us earlier that you are rich. I guess you'd better check out the Piedmont Driving Club.

Or for something more economical and down-to-earth, try Bitsy Grant.

spot
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah- if you like Buckhead but are 40 then Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, or Decatur are likely better choices. OTP you would be talking Alpharetta, Marietta, or Roswell.

smithy173
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Where is the better tennis North Atlanta or South Atlanta down by Peachtree City and Newnan.I guess Atlanta is the hot bed for tennis.Looking to retire in about 5 years so i'll be looking for a good area and some good tennis.Live in the north east.There's good tennis 7 to 8 months out of the year.Play strictly on green clay better on the knees and back.

TheGreatestAudia
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Where is the better tennis North Atlanta or South Atlanta down by Peachtree City and Newnan.I guess Atlanta is the hot bed for tennis.Looking to retire in about 5 years so i'll be looking for a good area and some good tennis.Live in the north east.There's good tennis 7 to 8 months out of the year.Play strictly on green clay better on the knees and back.

I think Kennesaw has a great tennis community. I also think that northern Atlanta is bit better due to the plethora of clubs/parks/'hoods.

JesseT
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Bitsy Grant.
Bitsy Grant is a powerhouse club too. They fill the back pages of the ALTA magazine. You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far...especially if Buckhead is in your price range; you can pretty much pick anywhere we've mentioned.

Some other items:

Robbie Ginepri's club is in East Cobb (Old Town). It's got clay courts and a large scale team/pro program.

Most of the N Fulton clubs have combinations of hard, clay and that new clay-like stuff. Most small hoods, in my experience, do not.

One help might be to know a little history of the area. Roswell, Decatur, Marietta, Newnan and Buckhead are all *older* than Atlanta. Sherman focused most of his army on the train depots in the central/south parts of the town. That's contributed a lot to the sprawl we have and a lack of urban density.

So, that means the dense, older populations will be in those areas. I live in Roswell. Google the 30076 zip code. You'll see Alpharetta CC, CC of the South, CC of Roswell, Rivermont, Horseshoe Bend, River Pines, and Foxworth all within spitting distance. There's a PGA superstore up here (includes a full service tennis shop with indoor court).

here's a thought. Visit the altatennis.org website and the southern.usta.com website. See the dates for the ALTA city finals. They're open to watch. Then look at dates for USTA tournaments. Come for a tournament, watch the finals, meet some folks and see what you think.

(and I'm not knocking South Atlanta. I personally prefer the golf in Peachtree City because it's a lot less private and pricey)

But PC is 1.5h from my house. I just don't go and visit.

JesseT
02-06-2009, 11:07 AM

BTW, I'd retire to Peachtree City if I was retiring to this area. It's more of that "retirement feel". The northern suburbs are way more like small towns that eventually blended together.

And, if I was retiring based on tennis, I'd be doing Boca/Deerfield. But that's me. I love the beach.

spot
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
There are more teams in the north for sure. I play out of Dekalb Tennis Center (Decatur) and we are always getting stuck in a division with teams in the Newnan area (not to mention East teams like Conyers). If you play in the Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta area I think you generally don't travel very far because there are so many more teams.

Once you get a community with 4 or 6 courts (or more) I really don't think you can go wrong. I played a match at Falls of Autry Mills and was shocked to hear how many teams they had playing out of there just with people who lived in the community. I live in Kirkwood so this isn't a private tennis community. I am all about pulling all my friends to a central public court which works out nicely. Particularly when we got sponsored by a bar to give us free food and half our court fees paid for! Like I said- there is a lot of support for tennis in this area.

JesseT
02-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Particularly when we got sponsored by a bar to give us free food and half our court fees paid for! Like I said- there is a lot of support for tennis in this area.

I gotta look into this sponsorship thing...

netman
02-07-2009, 04:46 PM
There are more teams in the north for sure. I play out of Dekalb Tennis Center (Decatur) and we are always getting stuck in a division with teams in the Newnan area (not to mention East teams like Conyers). If you play in the Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta area I think you generally don't travel very far because there are so many more teams.

Very true. We play out of the Northeast Atlanta area and never have to travel more than 15-20 minutes for away matches.

Sleepstream
02-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Anyone know how the tennis scene is around Buford?

netman
02-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Anyone know how the tennis scene is around Buford?

Growing along with the town. Not the density of teams you'll find closer in, but should be plenty of opportunities to play.

Sleepstream
02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Growing along with the town. Not the density of teams you'll find closer in, but should be plenty of opportunities to play.

I have opportunities to visit the area quite often, but I really don't have much to do around here aside from shopping the metro area. I'm skeptical about using the craigslist option to find people to play. I may be moving to the area in the summer, so I'll have to find partners when that time comes.

I need to become familiar with the courts/clubs around Buford.

amarone
02-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I have opportunities to visit the area quite often, but I really don't have much to do around here aside from shopping the metro area. I'm skeptical about using the craigslist option to find people to play. I may be moving to the area in the summer, so I'll have to find partners when that time comes.

I need to become familiar with the courts/clubs around Buford.Magnolia Racquet Club is in Buford. Not far away, although with a Cumming address, is James Creek (http://www.jamescreektenniscenter.com/) which has a bunch of courts including indoor.

marcb
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
You should have told us earlier that you are rich. I guess you'd better check out the Piedmont Driving Club.

Or for something more economical and down-to-earth, try Bitsy Grant.

Rich?, nah we're just a couple of DIOK's (Double income, one kid) so we can get away with something a little smaller. Plus, I think the part of BH my wife was looking at is not in one of the super expensive parts. We'll see. If I get any say, it'll be somewhere near clay courts. I love playing on it but Salt Lake is all hard courts all the time.

Piedmont Driving club...lol, from what I know about it, the chances of them letting in a 2nd generation Italian Yankee born in New York is pretty slim ;) Public parks are nice anyway because you get exposed to a lot of different players. We'll probably end up taking a trip out there to see what's up and I'll definately use your suggestions to help guide the process.

Z-Man
02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Very true. We play out of the Northeast Atlanta area and never have to travel more than 15-20 minutes for away matches.

I think it depends on your level. At AA3, there is only one division, so you have to go all over town. I play out of Newnan, but I'm from LaGrange, so the home matches are 30min and the away matches are over an hour away. Last season it took us 1:45 to get to Roswell.

For the retirees: I do think there are more teams on the north side of ATL. The south side has a more rural, small-town vibe. You feel like you are in GA. The north side of ATL is more hectic, more traffic, less friendly, less southern, more developed, more urban, more of a rat-race, better shopping and dining. It just depends on what you're looking for.

tideronthehooch
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
If you play ALTA out of a normal sized neighborhood (2-4 courts), it is a crap shoot. You will have a mish-mash of players from all different levels and making the playoffs is a good goal. If you play out of a public park or a mega-neighborhood (6-12 courts), it is a little easier to contol rosters. Those are the teams that usually win city in my experience.

The exception to this is a group of newbie players who don't have ALTA ratings who get together and sandbag for several seasons while they move up the ratings collecting plates as they go. Townhouse and apartment complex teams are famous for this.

In short, most who play ALTA do so for fun, and hold out for USTA season for more serious competition.

netman
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
If you play ALTA out of a normal sized neighborhood (2-4 courts), it is a crap shoot. You will have a mish-mash of players from all different levels and making the playoffs is a good goal. If you play out of a public park or a mega-neighborhood (6-12 courts), it is a little easier to contol rosters. Those are the teams that usually win city in my experience.

The exception to this is a group of newbie players who don't have ALTA ratings who get together and sandbag for several seasons while they move up the ratings collecting plates as they go. Townhouse and apartment complex teams are famous for this.

In short, most who play ALTA do so for fun, and hold out for USTA season for more serious competition.

Agree with the first 2 paragraphs. But USTA is a typically a step child in Atlanta tennis. Other than the public facility teams (parks and tennis centers) that abuse the self-rating rules and stack their teams to make a run at national titles, most folks crave that ALTA plate. And they will go to extraordinary lengths to get one. :)

-k-

spot
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah- for my friends USTA is saved for the people who aren't good enough to consistently make their ALTA lineups.

investorofmercy
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Agree with the first 2 paragraphs. But USTA is a typically a step child in Atlanta tennis. Other than the public facility teams (parks and tennis centers) that abuse the self-rating rules and stack their teams to make a run at national titles, most folks crave that ALTA plate. And they will go to extraordinary lengths to get one. :)

-k-

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Bunton Rd park Alumni
2 time 3.5 National attendee

and for you spot......I play line 1 on my ALTA mixed team.....going to city sat.

A couple things to point out. If you play college, you have to play A
If you teach, you have to play AA.

You have a choice with ALTA....play 4 or 5 on a higher team and risk only playing 3-4 matches a season or play 1-2 on a lower team and play every week.

In ATL, I play:

4 ALTA seasons/yr Mens A5, Mixed B-8
4 T2 seasons/yr 4.5-
2 Atlanta USTA seasons 4.0
2 NEGTA seasons 4.0
3 Ultimatetennis seasons/yr 4.0- (i suck at singles)
I have played league tennis
I have played USTA mixed

so 15 leagues per year... I am usually playing 4 at a time...3-4 matches a week of league tennis. I love ATLANTA! What really sucks is that my wife may take a higher paying job in Western NC. They have 4 4.0 USTA teams in ASHEVILLE NC. No Ultimate, No ALTA, no T2. I may have to find a new sport.

qq49h
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Bunton Rd park Alumni
2 time 3.5 National attendee

and for you spot......I play line 1 on my ALTA mixed team.....going to city sat.

A couple things to point out. If you play college, you have to play A
If you teach, you have to play AA.

You have a choice with ALTA....play 4 or 5 on a higher team and risk only playing 3-4 matches a season or play 1-2 on a lower team and play every week.

In ATL, I play:

4 ALTA seasons/yr Mens A5, Mixed B-8
4 T2 seasons/yr 4.5-
2 Atlanta USTA seasons 4.0
2 NEGTA seasons 4.0
3 Ultimatetennis seasons/yr 4.0- (i suck at singles)
I have played league tennis
I have played USTA mixed

so 15 leagues per year... I am usually playing 4 at a time...3-4 matches a week of league tennis. I love ATLANTA! What really sucks is that my wife may take a higher paying job in Western NC. They have 4 4.0 USTA teams in ASHEVILLE NC. No Ultimate, No ALTA, no T2. I may have to find a new sport.

I'm surprised that your Men's league(a5) is higher than your Mixed league(b8). My leagues are the opposite.
Alta Mens(a7)
Alta mixed(a2)
I'll be at Blackburn Saturday going for my 3 big plate or second small plate. Congrats for making it to the City Final!

netman
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
What really sucks is that my wife may take a higher paying job in Western NC. They have 4 4.0 USTA teams in ASHEVILLE NC. No Ultimate, No ALTA, no T2. I may have to find a new sport.

I always wondered about Asheville. My brother lives there so we visit quite often. I see nice courts, but rarely see folks using them.

You could always start T2 in Asheville. Just think as the founder and commissioner you could make up the rules. :)

-k-

investorofmercy
03-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm surprised that your Men's league(a5) is higher than your Mixed league(b8). My leagues are the opposite.
Alta Mens(a7)
Alta mixed(a2)
I'll be at Blackburn Saturday going for my 3 big plate or second small plate. Congrats for making it to the City Final!

Yeah, I guess it is kind of sandbagging. I have a friend that plays A5 mens and AA3 mixed. I can only stomach mixed 2 ways....either I play down and dominate or play up with an exceptional girl. I don't like to play serious tennis with a weaker partner. I play better with a stronger partner so I can be carried. I don't do well as the carrier.

amarone
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I don't like to play serious tennis with a weaker opponent. I play better with a stronger opponent so I can be carried. I don't do well as the carrier. Freudian slip here?

investorofmercy
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Freudian slip here?

fixed.. thanks.