PDA

View Full Version : My volleys need serious work.

aceroberts13
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I have been really pushing myself to serve and volley for a couple of years now. And due in part to lack of proper instruction and lack of playing time my volleys have obviously suffered greatly. In doubles I'm more of a liability than an asset in most matches. In singles I can operate a little more effectively.

My question is: What are some drills I can do to improve my volleys? Forehand and backhand.

I'm also open to any tips, links, further reading that you guys can provide as well.

Slicendicer
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I have been really pushing myself to serve and volley for a couple of years now. And due in part to lack of proper instruction and lack of playing time my volleys have obviously suffered greatly. In doubles I'm more of a liability than an asset in most matches. In singles I can operate a little more effectively.

My question is: What are some drills I can do to improve my volleys? Forehand and backhand.

I'm also open to any tips, links, further reading that you guys can provide as well.

If you have a regular hitting partner, reflex volley while walking from side to side on the court.

The most important thing with serve and volley.... is serve.... and volley. If your serve is not placed well or is easily crushed, your gonna have a hard time volleying effectively. Split your time practicing spot serving and with a good kick-serve into the backhand of your opponent.

Slicendicer
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Also, most good volley players are 2 volley players. Hit a solid 1st volley to set-up and easy put-away 2nd volley. If your charging the net, split step and block the 1st volley, hit the ball low and deep as possible. In doubles, I try to 1st volley the ball into my opponents feet... usually very effective and gives me a consistant target.

aceroberts13
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
If you have a regular hitting partner, reflex volley while walking from side to side on the court.

The most important thing with serve and volley.... is serve.... and volley. If your serve is not placed well or is easily crushed, your gonna have a hard time volleying effectively. Split your time practicing spot serving and with a good kick-serve into the backhand of your opponent.

Well, one of my biggest problems is not having a regular hitting partner.

As far as my serve goes, that really hasn't proved to be an issue yet. Although I know the more I move up in NTRP I'll have to shore that up more as well.

tennisdad65
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I love volleying against the wall, and spend 30-45 minutes against it when I have the time. I use a coated foam ball else the arm fatigues real quick.

FH - FH & BH - BH at various distances: 6 , 8, 10, 12 ft..
FH - BH normally in closer at 6, 8, 10 ft
half volleys at about 12 ft

It is easy to practice medium and low volleys continuously.
For high volleys it is tougher to do it continuously. you have to volley downwards, let it bounce then do a high feed again.

Djokovicfan4life
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I love volleying against the wall, and spend 30-45 minutes against it when I have the time. I use a coated foam ball else the arm fatigues real quick.

FH - FH & BH - BH at various distances: 6 , 8, 10, 12 ft..
FH - BH normally in closer at 6, 8, 10 ft
half volleys at about 12 ft

It is easy to practice medium and low volleys continuously.
For high volleys it is tougher to do it continuously. you have to volley downwards, let it bounce then do a high feed again.

This is great advice. Not the most realistic method, but from here it's not hard to simply close the face a little more on your volley after really establishing firm contact on the volley. Another drill you can do with your hitting partner is to start at the service line and practice volleying back and forth while taking a step in for every volley you hit, which will develop your reflexes and weight transfer into the volley, since you are forced to step in with every shot.

Matt

crystal_clear
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Taking lessons is the most efficient way to learn volley.

aceroberts13
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM

I've considered that route several times. I felt silly as a 22 year old recreational player taking lessons though.

crystal_clear
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I've considered that route several times. I felt silly as a 22 year old recreational player taking lessons though.

Never too old to learn new skill.

tailofdog
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I am 60 and have taken lessons off and on for the last 30 yrs
I bought OSCAR WEGNERS dvd,s they are really good stuff.
$99.00 and you can review them over and over

aceroberts13
02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Never too old to learn new skill.

That's true, I think I may look into some lessons this weekend. I just wanted some stuff to do on my own as well before diving into lessons. With a wedding coming up I don't think the wife(future) would be happy if I started training like mad.

dman72
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM

I'm 37 and I took my first lesson 4 weeks ago.

I watched a group lesson before my league match the other night, and 90% of the people were older than me. Tennis is a hobby often taken up by older folks...I played basketball recreationally during my 20's to keep fit, playing tennis occasionally...now my body can't handle that anymore, so I've gone to tennis for fitness. Most of the guys in my league are older than me too.

I WISH I had taken tennis lessons at 22. Do it if you can afford it. Get a ball machine if you can afford it..you'll have an activity for the rest of your life and you'll beat people!!

LeeD
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Take a look at the other thread on volleys, both Federers and KenFlach's.
Now go to the courts and watch good players volley.
Common thread.... turn sideways, short stroke with underspin cupping the bottom of the ball, slightl high to low stroke, body moving forward for depth, keep eye on the ball. If body is not moving forwards, aim for just past the service line. If you have time to move forwards during the stroke, the ball will naturally end up near the baseline....just about right.
Continental UNDERSPIN grip.

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Take a look at the other thread on volleys, both Federers and KenFlach's.
Now go to the courts and watch good players volley.
Common thread.... turn sideways, short stroke with underspin cupping the bottom of the ball, slightl high to low stroke, body moving forward for depth, keep eye on the ball. If body is not moving forwards, aim for just past the service line. If you have time to move forwards during the stroke, the ball will naturally end up near the baseline....just about right.
Continental UNDERSPIN grip.

I think what LeeD is trying to say here is that the continental grip will naturally open the racquet face at contact, which in turn will create the underspin. Excellent advice.

yellowoctopus
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM

I second that :)

For me, it was the right instructor telling me the right and simple things to focus on, one at a time. It took a while and I'm still improving, but I find it much easier to volley and my practice is so much more productive and less frustrating. I find myself with more confident volleying on the easy point during the match.

One advice I received from my instructor is that the lower half of your body is as important as the upper when volleying. We actually worked on my footwork to the point where I hardly ever have to think about it before we start correcting the rest.

Best of luck