PDA

View Full Version : About College Tennis Recruiting...!

CityHeightsTennis
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi guys. :)
If you are good enough (as in rankings on USTA and tennisrecruiting.net) in tennis to make the team, does the coach care about anything else about you?

For example, do they look at your academics, gpa, sat score, extracurriculars, and all the other stuff?

Or, if you are good enough to get recruited, you don't need anything else to get into the school?

★And my goal is to get into a top academic school that is D3 in tennis. Is this a good idea? or is this trying to take a shortcut and will it hurt me later on?★

I am really clueless about the recruiting process, so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks again...:)

tennismom42
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
If you are good enough (as in rankings on USTA and tennisrecruiting.net) in tennis to make the team, does the coach care about anything else about you?

For example, do they look at your academics, gpa, sat score, extracurriculars, and all the other stuff?

Or, if you are good enough to get recruited, you don't need anything else to get into the school?

★And my goal is to get into a top academic school that is D3 in tennis. Is this a good idea? or is this trying to take a shortcut and will it hurt me later on?★

I am really clueless about the recruiting process, so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, of course the coaches look at many variables. They vary from coach to coach. Being a mom, I noticed my the recruiters cared a lot about "a good fit" with the team. Of course they care about GPA, test scores,

Take a look at a thread that's about 20 posts below this one. It's starts with "moderator.... sticky." That's a very long, but well written paper written by a kid at Furman. He describes the entire recruiting process. All your questions will be answered in there.

CityHeightsTennis
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
thank you!!!! it was a very helpful, useful read!!! ty again!

eeytennis
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Coaches do look at other factors, however, if they want you, they will most likely pull strings for you. Some schools have study hall programs that student-athletes need to attend as well if their admission grades are lower than most and while it might be inconvenient for some, it's certainly a small price to pay for getting into a D3 school when your grades wouldn't be good enough had you not played tennis. I personally don't know any coaches that look at extracurriculars besides tennis so you need not worry about that. Overall, it really depends on the coach and the academic rigor of the school you want to go to.

CityHeightsTennis
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Coaches do look at other factors, however, if they want you, they will most likely pull strings for you. Some schools have study hall programs that student-athletes need to attend as well if their admission grades are lower than most and while it might be inconvenient for some, it's certainly a small price to pay for getting into a D3 school when your grades wouldn't be good enough had you not played tennis. I personally don't know any coaches that look at extracurriculars besides tennis so you need not worry about that. Overall, it really depends on the coach and the academic rigor of the school you want to go to.

Thank you for your response. :) I understand what you are saying. But when you mean academic rigor of the school, you are talking about the academic rankings of the schools right? Like the level of the school's academics.

JMS
02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your response. :) I understand what you are saying. But when you mean academic rigor of the school, you are talking about the academic rankings of the schools right? Like the level of the school's academics.

Yes that is what he means.

eeytennis
02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes that is what he means.

That's what SHE means. lol:)

CityHeightsTennis
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
haha okay i see. thank you all...!