PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and Most Disliked Playing Surface? Why?

Perfect
02-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Favorite- Clay, I started out on hard, than after I got to competition level I played on clay. I love how the ball bounces, the footwork you have to use on this stuff, and it is just so nice to play on more than the others.

Most disliked- Synthetic Grass, I have not yet had to play on real grass but it must be similar to how bad this is. So many errant bounces, balls just skidding off the surface, and most of the experiences I've had on this surface are disappointing.

JackD
02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I to really like clay. I also really like really slow hardcourts because it slows the game down and you don't get any bad bounces.

hotdimsim
03-01-2005, 02:10 AM
i like en-tous-cas (like clay) and Rebound Ace. I love the kick i can get on my 2nd serves on Rebound Ace, and the time i can get on en-tous-cas.
I hate synthetic grass, but like natural. Synthetic has such an unnatural bounce.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 02:17 AM
I like but also dislike hard courts. I like them because that is all I have played on so it is what I am used to but I dislike them because they really aren't drop shot friendly.

bc-05
03-01-2005, 02:42 AM
ur not meant to do dropshots with an OS racquet.. well thats wat people say.. but wouldnt it be hard to do it with an OS though? i tried hitting a dropshot once with my sister's head TiS6 pwoahhh how hard...

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Yeah, it is kinda hard. That is part of the reason I am planning on getting a smaller racket like maybe the RDX 500 MP. But the racket I have right now has terrible touch so I always hit it close to the serivce line, but I can get a few good ones every so often.

Cypo
03-01-2005, 03:30 AM
I like carpet with granulate. It's faster than clay, but slower than a hard court and you can sl i i i i i i ide into the shot.

BTW -
What is 'en-tous-cas' - I've never heard of it (as a court surface) - is this only in Belgium ?

Is there an 'auf-jeden-fall' surface in Germany ?

danniflava
03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
I've only played on clay and hard, and I prefer clay. There's just so much more time to prepare for nice looking shots. I can be creative, and show off my touch and feel.

Camilio Pascual
03-01-2005, 08:54 AM
ur not meant to do dropshots with an OS racquet.. well thats wat people say.. but wouldnt it be hard to do it with an OS though?

A total myth.

TripleB
03-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Favorite: CLAY - my slice stays even lower on the clay, the ball travels slower (giving me time to get to most everything), and it's much easier on my aging knees.

Most Disliked: HARD - don't have as much time to chase every ball down and as my knees get older the hard service takes it's toll more and more.

TripleB

volleyman
03-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Favorite: Moderately fast hard court. An honest surface that give most every type of player a legitimate chance to win.

Least Favorite: Clay and other clay-like composites. Bad footing, bad bounces, plastic lines exacerbating both, and, most importanly, the slow surface penalizes my game (S&V/all court). Oh, and it hurts my knees more than hard courts do.

Special Mention: The crappy "hard" courts used in the Durham public parks. Asphalt, or something hard, topped with a layer some sort of absorbent material, then sealed with another layer of something resembling sandpaper. The speed of the court depends on the weather: medium fast when its arm, dead slow when it's cold. The absorbent material leaks water up through the court surface, and as it rots, creates dead spots on the court. Still better than clay, but nowhere near as nice as a real hard court.

dewey4262
03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Favorite: Clay. Due to my spin game and I grew up playing clay
Least: Indoor carpet. Bounce is too fast, forces me to serve and volley.

Kaptain Karl
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM
#1 - Rubico (one of the green clays very prevalent in the SE USA.) I love the sssliiide, too. Oddly enough, I learned to play S&V on this clay. Not easy, but I think I developed an all-around game faster because of this.

#2 - Har-tru (better known green clay). Same speed and sssliiide as Rubico. (But -- speaking as one who maintained both many years ago -- not as easy to care for as Rubico. You can *walk* on puddled Rubico after a sudden rain; not Har-tru....)

#3 - Slow Laykold(sp?). Hard courts with lots of the rubbery cushion layer between the hard base and the latex paint.

What I *like* and what I get to *play on* are two different things. Most of our hard courts are quite *fast* and hard....

[Only had one chance in my life (so far) to play on Grass. But it was pouring rain at the Philadelphia Cricket Club that day....]

- KK

thejackal
03-01-2005, 02:36 PM
1) hard courts - suits my game well
2) Indoor carpet - same as above
3) Clay - my topspin serve works well on it, but everything else isn't quite as nice
4) synthetic grass - a lot of fun, but I wouldn't play matches on it

Brian Purdie
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
fav -hard: nothings like the original
least -grass: unforgiving and tortutious, especially in the summer heat when the humidity fumes up from the ground around two o'clock

scez
03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
fav - hard courts because I like a fast ball
least - a combination of synthetic grass and some sand which was on a court ontop of a builder when I was on vaction. The balls would just die.

Serve-And-Volley
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
My favortie surface is any kind of grass or indoor carpet or fast court. I can serve and volley all I want and my game has a nice advantage on these surfaces. My least favortie is red clay, extremely slow red clay, the ball move to slow for me.

Gaines Hillix
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
1) Har-tru
2) other clay
3) asphalt hard court
4) Premier(a rubberized court overlay)
5) concrete

Never played on real or synthetic grass.

Camilio Pascual
03-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Clay, I play better on it and it is easier on the joints. I'd love to see a big movement towards clay in this country. I last played on grass in the early 60's. I did not like the erratic bounces.

Cypo
03-02-2005, 03:38 AM
least - a combination of synthetic grass and some sand which was on a court ontop of a builder when I was on vaction. The balls would just die.

I played on this once and I agree - it was horrible. In addition to the balls not bouncing, the court was very slippery in some places and not at all in others. When you'd try to push off to start running, sometimes you have purchase, and sometimes you'd look like a cartoon where the legs are moving like a cartwheel, but the body's not going anywhere !

And the Philadelphia Cricket Club !! I was there once as a kid - just to go swimming, but I remember endless, green lawn courts. Funny that you mention it...

AAAA
03-02-2005, 06:13 AM
I like real grass and clay the most. I'd like to try those rubberized cement hardcourts some time but generally hard courts just don't interest me much anymore because the play is far more predictable and plain at my level of play.

equinox
03-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Favourite: en-tous-cas
Most hated: synthetic grass with lots of sand

scez
03-04-2005, 09:44 AM
What surprised me the most is that at this huge resort that was the biggest one I have seen, it even had a 18 hole par 3 golf course in it that they had to put two tennis courts on top of a building which was used for the sewage.

hotdimsim
03-05-2005, 12:18 AM
BTW -
What is 'en-tous-cas' - I've never heard of it (as a court surface) - is this only in Belgium ?

en tous cas is crushed bricks and other stuff. Its a little faster than clay, i find, and you can sliiiiide as well. you have to bag it like clay. Its one of the most common courts here in Victoria, Aus. Almost every metropolitan club has them cus of low cost.

Cypo
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Hotdimsim - I searched on the net, but of course I got twenty million french tennis sites :-(

need2paint
03-05-2005, 11:35 AM
fav -hard: nothings like the original
least -grass: unforgiving and tortutious, especially in the summer heat when the humidity fumes up from the ground around two o'clock

when tennis was first invented, didn't they play on grass?

Kaptain Karl
03-05-2005, 02:09 PM
when tennis was first invented, didn't they play on grass?
Yes. Brian calling "hard" the "original" was kind of amusing.

The following appears to be the consensus opinion of many "tennis history" searches on the web:

"Lawn Tennis" evolved from a sport which originated in 13th-century France that appears to be the true precursor of the game we know as tennis today. This game came into being in the monastery courtyards of France. As the Middle Ages drew to a close in Europe, the monastic pastime evolved into a form known as "real" or "royal" tennis, adopted enthusiastically by royalty and their court who dubbed the new sport jeu de paume, meaning "the game of the palm."

It was during the 1870's that a new form of real tennis appeared. This new adaptation, called "lawn tennis", emerged moving the game out of the confines of monastery courtyards.... Lawn tennis soon became the chosen sport of the well-to-do.

In 1874 Major Walter Clopton Wingfield, a British Army officer, designed and patented his own version of the sport and wrote an instruction booklet. Major Wingfield called his version of the sport "Sphairistike" (a Greek word meaning "ball game"). Later the name changed to "Sticky" and then to its more descriptive name, "Lawn Tennis."

- KK