PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about quitting.....

SourStraws
02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Okay, here's the deal..... I've been playing tennis for about 6 months, and Ive managed to make it on my team (we have low standards, but I think Im pretty solid), but the problem is, our coach doesn't do ANYTHING, and Im forced to run drills/teach the others. I mean, I dont mind, but the fact that I have no time to practice myself is really annoying. The other good kids practice too, but don't bother to help the noobs that much, so Im pretty much torn between the too.... Im thinking about either quitting being a player and just coach the noobs for the sake of the future generation of our schools team or just saying screw them and practice with the good kids, but it just makes me feel bad leaving them there. If it were up to me, I'd cut them and tell them to work on their skills for next yr (harsh but Ik), but unfortunately, the coach doesn't cut people. Furthermore, we dont run drills..... Like seriously, what the heck... I just feel that our practices are unstructured and counterproductive.... What do you guys suggest we do as a team to be productive so we actually have a chance at winning matches, cause Im seriously just thinking about quitting cause I feel my time is being wasted

Sorry for the long post.... And thanks for your future advice and/or bashings?

S.S.

Okazaki Fragment
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Okay, here's the deal..... I've been playing tennis for about 6 months, and Ive managed to make it on my team (we have low standards, but I think Im pretty solid), but the problem is, our coach doesn't do ANYTHING, and Im forced to run drills/teach the others. I mean, I dont mind, but the fact that I have no time to practice myself is really annoying. The other good kids practice too, but don't bother to help the noobs that much, so Im pretty much torn between the too.... Im thinking about either quitting being a player and just coach the noobs for the sake of the future generation of our schools team or just saying screw them and practice with the good kids, but it just makes me feel bad leaving them there. If it were up to me, I'd cut them and tell them to work on their skills for next yr (harsh but Ik), but unfortunately, the coach doesn't cut people. Furthermore, we dont run drills..... Like seriously, what the heck... I just feel that our practices are unstructured and counterproductive.... What do you guys suggest we do as a team to be productive so we actually have a chance at winning matches, cause Im seriously just thinking about quitting cause I feel my time is being wasted

Sorry for the long post.... And thanks for your future advice and/or bashings?

S.S.

I would go with that option. Teaching those other kids is the coach's job. No need for you to do his job for him.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow, i can see your position, as we got a new coach this year that does nothing with the freshman, typically if their willing to listen im willing to help, but if their stubborn, leave them to die. they should consider it a courtesy that a better player is trying to help. as for your coach, theres not much you can do, but as a rule of thumb, help who you can, and just try to improve yourself.

HS Tennis Player
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Talk to your coach about it, im sure he is just as eager to win some matches as you are, tell him that you feel like you would benefit more if you do some drills or structured practices, and if he doesnt want to do that, run them yourself, just simple things, like serves and returns, cross court shots, down the line shots, or volley drills, but just let him know that you think it would help the team if you guys did organized drills. And for the "noobs" i would pratice with the better players because you have to worry about now, not seasons in the future, you might feel bad, but you got to look out for yourself as greedy as it sounds, its not your job to teach them when you have a coach who is supposed to do that.

GeorgeLucas
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, putting it bluntly, it strikes me that you have 4 fair choices:
1. Quit the tennis team. Who needs em.
2. Speak with your coach. Inform him again of his role on the team, that is maturing all players' games.
3. Play with the good kids. After all, you and them can carry the whole team to victory. Right?
4. Coach the lowbies personally. Beginners need lovin' too, eh?

I say go for number 2.

SourStraws
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I'd go for number 2, but I dont think he knows how to actually coach well..... He was the coach last year n' taught most of the noobs the wrong grip to serve and so forth, so Im basically trying to reform their game the right way...... Nonetheless, I'll talk to him tmrw or Thurs I suppose

Btw..... Cool avy, G.L.
S.S.

Frankauc
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
????? You're thinking about coaching the newbs but you've been playing tennis for only 6 months?

SourStraws
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
????? You're thinking about coaching the newbs but you've been playing tennis for only 6 months?

Yup =)

S.S.

TokyopunK
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Tell the Athletic Director that you need a new coach.

Djokovicfan4life
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Don't underestimate the power of learning to be a good teacher to others. It will be one of the greatest skills you will ever develop in tennis, believe me.

Frankauc
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Yup =)

S.S.

seriously, i would not recommand for you that you coach others. You may teach to them bad techniques that they will carry a long time. 6 months of tennis is really not enought to coach people.

Tomek_tennis
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Coach after 6 months of playing tennis, wow! Seriously, you should have fun and play for yourself. So make it happen!

SourStraws
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys

S.S.

fuzz nation
02-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I suggest you approach your athletic director, too. Talk over what's happening and see if you can get any input or guidance. If the resources are available, you may be able to have one or more pros come in for a day or two of drills, etc. to give your crew some collective guidance. It certainly won't hurt to ask around.

One thing I'll point out from my coaching experience is that when we start up our season, we can't do much of any drills or teaching because we need to hammer out our varsity squad in a big hurry before the match schedule starts. Once that's done, we have a lot more freedom to teach and drill during practices instead of having almost all ladder competition.

Okazaki Fragment
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I suggest you approach your athletic director, too. Talk over what's happening and see if you can get any input or guidance. If the resources are available, you may be able to have one or more pros come in for a day or two of drills, etc. to give your crew some collective guidance. It certainly won't hurt to ask around.

One thing I'll point out from my coaching experience is that when we start up our season, we can't do much of any drills or teaching because we need to hammer out our varsity squad in a big hurry before the match schedule starts. Once that's done, we have a lot more freedom to teach and drill during practices instead of having almost all ladder competition.

Athletic director? You guys must have not gone to Podunk High like me.

Anyway, if the OPs coach is anything like my old high school coach, he won't give a damn.