PDA

View Full Version : tennis after the flu

raiden031
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Last week I had the flu from monday until about friday. This weekend I got my strength back and was able to do some moderate exercise.

On monday (yesterday) I played a buddy of mine in singles who I play every week or two and I just about always beat him. I lost in straight sets. I felt like I moved fine and lost because my forehand was just inconsistent. I hit some today (although no match play) and felt similar inconsistencies in my forehand.

Could this be that I'm not fully recoved from the flu I had last week, or is it just coincidental that it happened this week? Normally my forehand is the last thing to go on a bad day.

BU-Tennis
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
you're still sick, the flu really takes it out of you, it will take at least a week of being sick free to regain your strength and replenish the vitamins, minerals, and fats that were lost during your illness. the best thing to do is not play again for a few days to build up some energy

Bud
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Last week I had the flu from monday until about friday. This weekend I got my strength back and was able to do some moderate exercise.

On monday (yesterday) I played a buddy of mine in singles who I play every week or two and I just about always beat him. I lost in straight sets. I felt like I moved fine and lost because my forehand was just inconsistent. I hit some today (although no match play) and felt similar inconsistencies in my forehand.

Could this be that I'm not fully recoved from the flu I had last week, or is it just coincidental that it happened this week? Normally my forehand is the last thing to go on a bad day.

Absolutely. Sometimes it can take upwards of a month to 6 weeks to fully recover from the flu... especially one that lasted 5 days.

Rickson
02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe you're not fully recovered. Did you experience any joint aches? Ease into it next time you catch a cold instead of playing a match the first time out.

LeeD
02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Just me...
After being knocked down a bit, it's good to play again, even if not fully recovered. My brain works to compensate for a weakened body, so I end up playing about as well, but more consistent and with more thought.
Also, playing gives you that endorphin high, if you believe in such, and that makes you better sooner!
Sitting around waiting for full recovery is a sure way to delay the recovery. You gotta get out there, get active, have fun, and you will recover sooner.
This from a guy who's suffered broken legs 3 times, clavical breaks 3 times, shoulder separates more than 4, shoulder dislocates more than 3, and broken arms twice.
Inactive, you will recover. Active, you will recover sooner if you don't reinjure yourself. Takes an active BRAIN to say ... "nice shot", and let it go for a winner when you know you USED to be able to retreive that shot.

raiden031
02-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Maybe you're not fully recovered. Did you experience any joint aches? Ease into it next time you catch a cold instead of playing a match the first time out.

Thats the thing, physically I felt fine. The only health issue I had was uncontrollable coughing at times between points.

atatu
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok, I have the flu and it's a killer...going on three days now....

Rickson
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Take 2 vitamin C tablets daily. Preferably Ester C.

raiden031
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok, I have the flu and it's a killer...going on three days now....

Sucks. I had the flu and had like 2 vacation days saved up. I missed one day of work and then attempted to go to work the next two days, only to go home early each time because I couldn't even concentrate. I had a fever off and on for 4 days. Then when the fever went away for some reason I was nausious one evening and threw up, but nothing came up because I didn't eat anything. I've now been recovered for about 10 days but I'm still coughing alot.

Rickson
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Take some mucinex. Coughing means you have a lot of mucus in the lungs.

Topaz
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Thats the thing, physically I felt fine. The only health issue I had was uncontrollable coughing at times between points.

So, do you normally cough uncontrollably? My guess would be no...that means you are *not* physically fine! I also know that telling a guy to take it easy equates to banging my head against a wall...but I'll say it anyway! Take it easy...and I'm sure your FH and the rest of your health will come back. It probably did quite a number on your system to be that sick for that long.

Rickson
02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Uncontrollable coughing is a throat and lung infection and not necessarily the flu. You've got to break down that mucus ASAP!