PDA

View Full Version : Wayno could ****** Scottsdale! (spoiler)

BatCode
02-26-2005, 02:02 PM
There hasn't been much talk about this year's Tennis Channel Open in Scottsdale, but how about the Big Aussie Wayne Arthurs, taking it to Rochus and stepping in to the final! Others may not give a damn about the big serving Wayno, but after 15 hard years at the office, I think he deserves a singles title to add to his name!

robbie_dademo
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
oh yeh go wayne~! i am from australia and wasnt too confident about who would back up hewitt on grass in our davis cup tie, but now i go in a little more at ease.

he is 34 and playing great! i hope he can trash that mouth spadea if he plays him.

but theres a semi vs ancic first isnt there for vince?

i dont think wayne could beat ancic, but he could beat vince.

verdasco67
02-26-2005, 06:57 PM
its going to be ancic vs arthurs in the final....im going for ancic on this one (straight set win!)

raftermania
02-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Wayne Arthurs, Goran and Johnny Mac have my vote for top three lefty serves of all time.

Haka Boy
02-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm hoping that Wayne Arthurs can win....cant explain the logic but just wishing for his sake he does. Go wayne!!!!

Haka Boy
02-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Interesting to note they have never played against one another before.

Marius_Hancu
02-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Wayne Arthurs at the age of 33 wins his 1st ATP title.

19 days short of 34. Unbelievable indeed.

Just short of $3millions in winnings. Not bad.

I guess now one can say he's had a nice career.

West Coast Ace
02-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Wayne Arthurs, Goran and Johnny Mac have my vote for top three lefty serves of all time.Before I looked at your profile I knew you were young. Roscoe Tanner's lefty serve was very effective - certainly better than Arthurs and maybe even better than Goran's. He wasn't incredibly tall and didn't have the advantage of today's technology.

But I still tip my cap to Arthurs on this win.

robbie_dademo
02-27-2005, 03:58 PM
woooooo hoooooo! well done wayno, well deserved win my friend.

now win your singles in davis cup and a home 1/4 vs argentina awaits!

joehight
02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
it was great watching the 33 year old lefty win his first singles title after 16 years on the tour. His serve was just about unbeatable. He beat a very talented young player in Ancic. Arthurs was playing in the doubles final after that. I didn't get a chance to see how he did there. Anyone know how that came out?

After the doubles, he was flying back to Australia for the Davis Cup. After the Davis Cup he will fly back to California to try to qualify at Indian Wells. That's logging on the miles. Says he does it because he loves to play. Better than sitting in an office.

baseliner
02-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Arthurs and partner lost in straight sets to the Bryan brothers. Arthurs never lost his serve. Bryans broke Hanby once in each set. 7-5, 6-4. It was on the Tennis Channel live. Hats off to Arthurs for a great week. 100+ tourneys and now he gets his first ATP singles title.

VamosRafa
02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm very pleased for Wayne. He's definitely WAS one of the best players on Tour without a title. Good for him.

christo
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
This tournament is for journeymen to break through for their first title. last year Spadea and this year Arthurs. Who will it be next year?

goober
02-27-2005, 05:35 PM
This tournament is for journeymen to break through for their first title. last year Spadea and this year Arthurs. Who will it be next year?

well the I think that relative unknowns and lower ranked players have a shot at this tourney because no top level players have been attending recently (mostly cuz of lack of $$$). Spadea was the highest ranked player in the draw if that tells you anything.

edit: actually I forgot Spadea beat Roddick last year :D. This year was the first year with no top players.

ragnaROK
02-27-2005, 06:42 PM
I thought Agassi usually plays Scottsdale.

VamosRafa
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
From what I understand, the Tennis Channel Open didn't, and couldn't offer, any player monetary incentives, other than the prize money, normal perks and promise of TV coverage.

But this tourney could blossom into something more, if the TTC continues to grow.

I've had TTC for over a year now, and I see it improving all the time.

So I see hosting this tournament as a step in the right direction in many respects.

It shows that the Channel is doing well, and isn't going away.

And as someone who does a site for a non-American player, who plays smaller events, I'm amazed at how much coverage we get of him.

True, he has to get to the quarters, semis or final, but if he does, we see him.

So if he does his part, we get to see him. If he doesn't, well, we get to see some other non-American players who are playing well. :-)

raftermania
02-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Roscoe who?? hehe, you're right I know very little about old school tennis.

Before I looked at your profile I knew you were young. Roscoe Tanner's lefty serve was very effective - certainly better than Arthurs and maybe even better than Goran's. He wasn't incredibly tall and didn't have the advantage of today's technology.

But I still tip my cap to Arthurs on this win.

TheNatural
02-28-2005, 02:13 AM
I didn't watch Roscoe play either, he must have been something else if his serve was any where near as good as Arthur's.

goober
02-28-2005, 04:17 AM
I didn't watch Roscoe play either, he must have been something else if his serve was any where near as good as Arthur's.

Well Tanner had the hardest hitting serves in his day. 130 mph+ with a wood racquet. As far as career there is no comparison. Tanner had 16 singles titles (including one grandslam) and 13 doubles titles. Arthurs has 1 singles titles and 11 doubles.

joehight
02-28-2005, 09:17 AM
From what I understand, the Tennis Channel Open didn't, and couldn't offer, any player monetary incentives, other than the prize money, normal perks and promise of TV coverage.

But this tourney could blossom into something more, if the TTC continues to grow.

I've had TTC for over a year now, and I see it improving all the time.

So I see hosting this tournament as a step in the right direction in many respects.

It shows that the Channel is doing well, and isn't going away.

And as someone who does a site for a non-American player, who plays smaller events, I'm amazed at how much coverage we get of him.

True, he has to get to the quarters, semis or final, but if he does, we see him.

So if he does his part, we get to see him. If he doesn't, well, we get to see some other non-American players who are playing well. :-)

Hooray for the Tennis Channel. I was a little skeptical at first. How can you fill all that time with tennis stuff? But it seems to be working, and I love being able to tune into so much tennis, especially with the rest of the stuff you get on TV.

And the Scottsdale tournament could have a bigger future. Certainly a nice venue. And I liked the ground level TV camera shots provided by the Tennis Channel during this tournament. Actually felt like I was down their on the court.

raftermania
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but how can you say 130 mph +? They didn't have radar clocks back then right? Did he use a wood racquet? How could he generative that much pace with a woodie?? Aren't they too flexible??? Do I sound like a 10 year old asking his father incessantly about sex??

Thanks

Well Tanner had the hardest hitting serves in his day. 130 mph+ with a wood racquet. As far as career there is no comparison. Tanner had 16 singles titles (including one grandslam) and 13 doubles titles. Arthurs has 1 singles titles and 11 doubles.

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but how can you say 130 mph +? They didn't have radar clocks back then right? Did he use a wood racquet? How could he generative that much pace with a woodie?? Aren't they too flexible??? Do I sound like a 10 year old asking his father incessantly about sex??

Much more recently, Mark Phillippoussis went through some serve speed testing:

- Wood 127mph
- his normal racket 126mph

or very close to this.

This is a pretty well known fact.

As far as I know, Colin Dibley has recorded 141mph with wood. Don't ask me what kind of radars they had then.

TheNatural
03-01-2005, 03:02 AM

We're talking about serves not titles. The pros know best and lots say he has one of the best if not the best serve. Seeing his serve live is amazing.

goober
03-01-2005, 03:20 AM
We're talking about serves not titles. The pros know best and lots say he has one of the best if not the best serve. Seeing his serve live is amazing.

I have seen his serve in person just last week as a matter of fact. It is a great serve.

If you ask 100 random knowledgable tennis fans name the top 10 greatest servers in history, I bet Roscoe Tanner would be on everybody's list. I doubt that many people would include Arthurs.

Lowry
03-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Actually I think that Tanners and Arthurs serve motions are pretty similar. Bot have a pretty low ball toss (Tanner for sure much lower than Arthurs), both have a backswing that goes up on the left side of their body, kind of abbreviated, both do not (!!!) have an extreme motion with the upper body, neither the rotation around the vertical axis (a la sampras, turning the back to your opponent), nor the rotation around the horizontal axis (bringing the right shoulder up much higher after the ball toss and thereby lowering the left shoulder- both are lefties).
As said: for me really pretty similar, Tanners movement overall for sure much quicker.

camelF4i
03-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Damn! This is definitely a huge win for Wayne because he's probably nearing the end of his career and just a huge sigh of relief to at least be able to say that you won an ATP tournament.

I'm sure there are many professional players who never win one of these ATP tournaments, so it's so awesome when they do. Good luck to all and go get that first win!

(Probably feels just as good as when we amateurs finally win our first local tournament, putting the prize money aside of course)