PDA

View Full Version : weight in trophy position

B-rian
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
When you are serving and you are in your trophy position after you toss the ball, are you supposed to be leaning your weight into the court? Or should your weight be somewhat centered straight down? I don't know how to explain what I am trying to say clearer, but if it does make sense to anyone, can you answer my question? Thanks!

Bud
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
When you are serving and you are in your trophy position after you toss the ball, are you supposed to be leaning your weight into the court? Or should your weight be somewhat centered straight down? I don't know how to explain what I am trying to say clearer, but if it does make sense to anyone, can you answer my question? Thanks!

Seems like the weight is on your back foot ready to push upward and forward.

Tennisman912
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, you want your weight straight down not into the court when you coil. Then just explode up into the ball and extend into the court. From their it is all about good timing.

Good luck

TM

Midlife crisis
02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Most pros would teach that in the trophy position near maximum knee bend, you would have your weight equally distributed on both feet and that you would be on your toes on both feet as well.

From Will Hamilton's Fuzzy Yellow Balls site (this is an excellent site):

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/zenphoto/serve/andy_roddick_serve04.jpg.php

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/zenphoto/serve/tim_henman_serve02.jpg.php

Though of course there is a fair amount of variation in this.

jasoncho92
02-04-2009, 01:48 AM
The weight should be equal because the kinetic chain and timing would get killed if it was otherwise. One of the reasons why my serve is so crappy right now lol

LeeD
02-04-2009, 07:30 AM
REMEMBER... your body is supposed to be moving INTO the court on the actual serve motion.
So, even thos you have weight straight down on both legs and feet, your trunk is moving slightly FORWARDS, so you explode not only upwards, but forwards into the court as well.
If you only have a static stance, your weight even with both feet, you cannot move forwards with any explosion, because you waste energy getting that heavy upper body of yours to move forwards.
Get that trunk moving forwards SLIGHTLY, and the timing of the toss height and swing comes under the ball well into the court.
Once again, if you trophy position in a balanced position, it means if you let the ball drop, you'll still be standing there. That is not ideal for a strong serve. For a strong serve, if you allow the ball to drop after your toss, your body weight should force you to step INTO the court or you will just topple over forwards.
Oh, for a weak serve, just stand there and hit it, but don't move forwards.