PDA

View Full Version : 2 pairs of socks

flightlessbird
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
does anyone wear two pairs of socks? I know basketball players do. I was thinking of starting because my shoes are a little too big and I thought that would provide a little cushion and stop me from sliding.

And I saw that Tsonga during his semi final match had three on....

RestockingTues
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM
My feet STANK.

If I use two socks, than it'd just be a waste of a pair. :[

pro_staff
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I use two pairs. I had bad blister problems so I like the extra cushioning.

B-rian
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I do, it just feels better to me lol

Bud
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
does anyone wear two pairs of socks? I know basketball players do. I was thinking of starting because my shoes are a little too big and I thought that would provide a little cushion and stop me from sliding.

I use two pairs. I had bad blister problems so I like the extra cushioning.

I do, it just feels better to me lol

I do, too. The shoes are a tighter, more cushioned fit.

Okazaki Fragment
02-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I do, too. The shoes are a tighter, more cushioned fit.

Interesting. I always thought there would be overheating/ventilation problems with this setup. I'll have to try this out.

tennis_balla
02-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Yea I used to do this when I was playing competitively as a junior and sometimes still do. The benefit for me was I felt more stable in my shoes. Just gotta make sure you use the right type of socks that won't bunch up on you. Those really thick tennis ones are too big, just regular ones work perfect.

Slicendicer
02-04-2009, 05:46 AM

I always wear 2 pair of socks and clip my toenails before every match. :shock:

Nuke
02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Yep, been wearing two pairs of socks for tennis since I was a teenager, and that's eons ago.

TheGreatestAudia
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
I having to start wearing two because no matter how tight my shoes are tied, my toes slam into the front and sides of my shoes. This, of course, produces ingrown toenails. The lengths I would go to to be free of these!

fuzz nation
02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I having to start wearing two because no matter how tight my shoes are tied, my toes slam into the front and sides of my shoes. This, of course, produces ingrown toenails. The lengths I would go to to be free of these!

Sounds like you've got too small of a toe box with your shoes to accommodate your feet properly, but if you make them work with two pairs of socks, then goodonya.

f-bird: I have narrow feet and I used to use Prince Vipers which were cut more for a wider foot, so wearing two pairs of socks made them work fine for me. One thing I did find along the way was that regular cotton socks were better for keeping my foot still inside of my shoes. When I tried some newer synthetics that were supposed to do a better job of keeping my feet dry, they turned out to be rather slippery and even with my laces good and snug, my feet would swim around in my shoes too much. It was borderline hazardous for me and some others have apparently had the same experience. Some of our pals here have had good luck with Thorlos, but the synthetics in general seem to have earned a mixed reception.

JMS
02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I always wear two pairs to avoid blisters.

TheGreatestAudia
02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you've got too small of a toe box with your shoes to accommodate your feet properly, but if you make them work with two pairs of socks, then goodonya.

f-bird: I have narrow feet and I used to use Prince Vipers which were cut more for a wider foot, so wearing two pairs of socks made them work fine for me. One thing I did find along the way was that regular cotton socks were better for keeping my foot still inside of my shoes. When I tried some newer synthetics that were supposed to do a better job of keeping my feet dry, they turned out to be rather slippery and even with my laces good and snug, my feet would swim around in my shoes too much. It was borderline hazardous for me and some others have apparently had the same experience. Some of our pals here have had good luck with Thorlos, but the synthetics in general seem to have earned a mixed reception.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. My feet slide in my shoes all the time. With that extra pair on, they don't slide as much and when they do, it is a much softer impact.

alcap26
02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
every since baseball days I wear two pairs of socks for tennis and golf. The pair right against my feet are thin and the outer pair a bit thicker.

LeeD
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I suppose, in theory, a wicking pair next to your skin and then a cotton pair outside to soak up the sweat, like what hikers use....
Sounds good in theory. Didn't work for me, so back to KISS.

LuckyR
02-04-2009, 08:20 AM
I understand the two pair theory, but with Thorlos, no need for two pairs.

LeeD
02-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Don't Thorlos got rubber cushioning on the toes and heels?
Not good for sweat absorption...in fact, rubber reflects the sweat back into your feet.
But if it works for you, then it works for you!:):)
I can't afford thorlos.

LuckyR
02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Don't Thorlos got rubber cushioning on the toes and heels?
Not good for sweat absorption...in fact, rubber reflects the sweat back into your feet.
But if it works for you, then it works for you!:):)
I can't afford thorlos.

No, they have at least two different synthetic materials (neither is rubber or foam of any type) designed to either cushion or wick depending on the location. They are pricey so I stock up during sales, since they are so durable a pair or two will last forever.

yellowoctopus
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I suggest wearing polyester sock liners if you are worry about bulk and overheating. It also helps prevent blisters.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501316

Bud
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I always wear 2 pair of socks and clip my toenails before every match. :shock:

Lol! How long do you go between matches?

Toenails don't grow THAT fast!

Bud
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Try different shoes... or smaller shoes.

kimbahpnam
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
too heavy :)

Rickson
02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
There's a better way. Get sneakers that fit.

TheGreatestAudia
02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Try different shoes... or smaller shoes.

It's really hard to find a decent pair of size 12 tennis shoes that are wide enough to be called tennis shoes yet, skinny enough for "canoe-like" feet. Smaller shoes cramp my toes which makes the problem worse. I will never figure out how Nadal plays with shoes that are smaller than his normal size. That would kill me.

JavierLW
02-05-2009, 06:01 AM

I wear two, but the first pair are just sockliners like hikers use. I buy them at Gander Mountain usually.

It works for me, I used to get blisters all the time, especially when I first started playing outside every year but now it's pretty rare that I ever do.

fps
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM

I've found the closest fit for me are Nike, but they are the smallest amount too big. Extra pair of socks helps with this, and has helped me when my feet were still growing to combat issues like blisters and rubbing. All my exercise is done in two pairs of socks now and it works great for me.

orangettecoleman
02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Pmac said in his book that he always wore two paris of socks when playing. I wish I had done that in my match last night, my shoes were rubbing on by left foot in a weird way...

Fay
02-05-2009, 07:12 AM

I am going to have to do that as my shoes have stretched a bit and lacing them til they are tight enough now hurts the bones in my feet.

Normally wearing two pairs of socks will prevent blisters and rubbing if the shoes fit. Not a bad idea.