PDA

View Full Version : Division 2 and Division 3-Differences?

TennisTaxi
02-04-2009, 06:12 AM
What are the differences between Division 2 and Division 3 Men's tennis? The quality of players, the level of play, the university size? What would be a reason to chose on over the other, if all other factors were equal.

equinox
02-04-2009, 06:35 AM
DI Phelps pays for the weed.
DII Sponsors pay for your weed.
DIII There is no weed. Except the grassy hill you sit on.

ClarkC
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
First, there is some scholarship money for athletics in Division II, but not in Division III.

Second, there is some "creativity" at some Division III schools, in which the fact that a sports coach says he wants you helps you gain admittance and even some scholarship money on the academic side. The official regulations state that you cannot get academic money that would not have gone to a non-athlete with the same credentials. That is somewhat subjective, but the college cannot get too far out of line or a rival could file a complaint.

Third, while there are exceptions to most generalizations, of course, you can generalize about academics. If you scan down the lists of Division III schools, you see a lot of top academic schools that want to focus on being top academic schools and not on pumping huge money into football teams. That is why they are Division III. If you scan down the list of Division II schools, there are a lot of Directional State Universities and schools that are second and third tier academically.

Now, you could focus on the best academic schools in the Division II list and maybe get some scholarship help towards a good education. You can always be the exception to the rule. But that is still a fairly accurate generalization.

eeytennis
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
What are the differences between Division 2 and Division 3 Men's tennis? The quality of players, the level of play, the university size? What would be a reason to chose on over the other, if all other factors were equal.

Division 2 offers scholarships and Division 3 does not. The quality of play differs in both divisions, as you will find some schools that are very high level and could undoubtedly beat some Division 1 schools with ease (ex. Williams' women's tennis team, D3) and there are some where the level of play for most or all of the players on the team is very low. You really have to look around and check out the results of the players and try to determine the level of play from there. If I had the choice I would probably pick D2, ONLY because of the scholarship money.

JMS
02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
As mentioned do consider academics, and from top to bottom DIII does have many more strong academic institutons as compared to DII.

TennisTaxi
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the responses, I now have a little better understanding. Ok, next question, how do tennis team time commitments differ between Division I, II and III? I know that DI is significant, but what about II and III?

autumn_leaf
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the responses, I now have a little better understanding. Ok, next question, how do tennis team time commitments differ between Division I, II and III? I know that DI is significant, but what about II and III?

it varies a lot with coaches. i play for d3 right now and we practice 3 times a week and will be moving up to 5 times a week later in the month. practice is 2 hrs long.

this aspect really depends on how tight a shift the coach runs.

eeytennis
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM

It really depends...I know of a D2 team who practices no more than the average D3 team around me.

Slicendicer
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
We played a few "dummy" matches against Emory, the year they won DIII National... they SUCKED!!! We beat them 7-0. The 1,2, and 3 singles were 0,0. The 1 and 2 doubles were also... 0,0. The second time we played them... same result. The third time... they didin't even show up for the match. Their home courts are like 25 minute drive from ours courts. Coach called the school and their coach... nothing. :)

I guess that DII is stronger tennis than DIII... it only makes sense.

vasquez90
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
What are some of the best D II tennis schools? Are there Div II powerhouses?

Forza Milan
02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Except for a few teams, D3 are much weaker across the board, although Eric Butorac used to play D3. Not all D2 are stronger either...but the higher ranked D2 are definetely much stronger since they offer scholarship and recruits overseas.

Forza Milan
02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
What are some of the best D II tennis schools? Are there Div II powerhouses?

BYU Hawaii, Univ West Florida, Barry, Drury, Valdosta

AVTENNIS
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
DII is obviously better then DIII but their are many DIII schools that are better then DII schools it just depends on the program and such

cncretecwbo
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
We played a few "dummy" matches against Emory, the year they won DIII National... they SUCKED!!! We beat them 7-0. The 1,2, and 3 singles were 0,0. The 1 and 2 doubles were also... 0,0. The second time we played them... same result. The third time... they didin't even show up for the match. Their home courts are like 25 minute drive from ours courts. Coach called the school and their coach... nothing. :)

I guess that DII is stronger tennis than DIII... it only makes sense.

what school do you go to? and when was this? d3 counts all 3 doubles so i guess you didnt use that system?

Jim A
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
no matter the Division, it depends on the school and sport, there are D3 players in the NHL and loads of D1/D2 who never made it past that

I started at a school that had a D1 XC team and it was atrocious. After I switched majors, the school (D2) had a great soccer team (bunch of guys locally and from Sweden (who were just happy to get a free MBA)) but the tennis team outside of the top 1/2 players was pretty bad...had time been available I could have played on one of the lower singles or doubles squads and I was a good 3.5 but had no real training ever outside of books (pre-internet days..) and the couple pages of tennis mags

While its a great honor and option to play college sports, choose a school you enjoy for the school. Fact is you may wake up one day and decide that practicing 20 hours/wk along with your studies, friends (plenty outside the team), workstudy programs, etc..and say wtf am i doing??

The people you meet in college will effect your life in more ways then you can ever imagine, especially if you want to live in the area post-grad and/or a large city.

It's part of the experience but not the whole.

rasajadad
03-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I can tell you for a fact that it is a school by school question. I've watched a women's D-III team beat a D-I team here.

Slicendicer
03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
what school do you go to? and when was this? d3 counts all 3 doubles so i guess you didnt use that system?

Georgia Perimeter College... like I said... the were practice matches. We played 2 of 3 sets for dubs and singles, instead of pro sets. I think the players, although beaten badly, enjoyed playing us... our 1-4 were freakin' amazing tennis players. I never won a set, but took my beatings at practice everyday, with a smile... :)

cncretecwbo
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
d3 schools also beat d2 schools. this year, in fact

guido88
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Slicendicer: I'm not sure when you played but the Emory team that you're talking about must of been from over a decade ago. There is no way that this years Emory team would ever lose to a these guys

http://www.gpc.edu/~athletic/Men%27s%20Tennis/Men%27s%20Tennis/MT%20Home.html

In regards to the differences between d2 and d3 it's really not that big of a difference. The top schools in division 3 can compete with the best of them. For example, Claremont Mckenna just beat Villanova and played Upenn very very close. Emory lost 8-1 to 3 time NAIA national champions Auburn University Montgomery, but 3 out of 6 singles went into 3 sets. Including #2 and #3 singles where Chirs goodwin and Mark boren almost took out blue chip recruits Michael Johnson and Monte tucker, both former top 5 national juniors.

alb1
03-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Slicendicer: I'm not sure when you played but the Emory team that you're talking about must of been from over a decade ago. There is no way that this years Emory team would ever lose to a these guys

In regards to the differences between d2 and d3 it's really not that big of a difference. The top schools in division 3 can compete with the best of them. For example, Claremont Mckenna just beat Villanova and played Upenn very very close. Emory lost 8-1 to 3 time NAIA national champions Auburn University Montgomery, but 3 out of 6 singles went into 3 sets. Including #2 and #3 singles where Chirs goodwin and Mark boren almost took out blue chip recruits Michael Johnson and Monte tucker, both former top 5 national juniors.

Emory is a very talented team. When Perimeter was winning NJCAA national titles they were loaded with talent also. The only comparison you can make with todays team is Emory beating ABAC (#4 NJCAA program) 5-4 this year with Emory losing the top 1,2 singles but splitting overall. Now if they played Laredo which is the top NJCAA program they could very well lose.

Slicendicer
03-16-2009, 06:22 AM

The tennis program is nothing at GPC now... the school refuses to put any money or recruiting into tennis. The GPC tennis program was the winningest sports program in all of Georgia school systems.

Our 1 player was top 500 ATP player, 2 player was top 1000 ATP... pretty good to say the least.

cquandt
04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
i played the current #1 from emory, he was a nationally ranked junior. emory and the rest of D3 are very strong. usually the biggest difference is academics. people forget, emory, carnegie mellon, MIT, U. Chicago, johns hopkins, are all strong D3, they also happen to be at the top of the nation for academics as well. and D3 can work just as hard as a D1 school, or not very much at all. you take any of the top D3 schools and you will see kids that were top 200 in the nation for juniors.

Coach Carter
04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
wild bragging and stories...as was said...it's a team by team basis in every level.

cadillac303
04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
DIII is actually better than DII contrary to popular belief. If you're not going to play DI-- go DIII. You're admitting you suck horribly if you go to DII.

zidane339
04-13-2009, 06:40 AM
All depends on the team...the CMU DIII men's team here recently beat DI Duquense...