PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta One Love question

DaveG
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
My wife and I are coming to Atl next week. There is a tourney I would like to get in while there but do not know about the area. does anyone have any input on the touney/area??

ONE LOVE TENNIS OPEN/NTRP SPRING CLASSIC (Level III, 150 pts)

2051 Old Rockbridge Rd
Norcross, GA30071

Thanks

JesseT
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
My wife and I are coming to Atl next week. There is a tourney I would like to get in while there but do not know about the area. does anyone have any input on the touney/area??

2051 Old Rockbridge Rd
Norcross, GA30071

Thanks

Heck, I live here and would like to know more too.
btw, Norcross is about 7mi N and W of the GA400/I285 intersection...we tend to navigate by the perimeter (285), and the 4 main arteries (i20, i85, i75, ga400).

Anyone?

Lame_Backhand
02-04-2009, 12:11 PM

2051 Old Rockbridge Rd
Norcross, GA30071

Thanks

I looked up last years tournament on TennisLink, and it was apparently cancelled (See message below)

Entries Closed Saturday, February 02, 2008
CANCELATION
THIS TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO INSUFFICIENT ENTRIES. REFUND CHECKS WILL BE MAILED NEXT WEEK.

So far for this years version of the tournament, there are 7 entries as of today.....

Gemini
02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry guys. I can't offer any input on the tourney. I think that address is The Hudlow/Best Friend Park Tennis Center off of Jimmy Carter Blvd. That area is highly commercial/industrial but the park backs up to a residential neighborhood. I haven't been to the courts in years (6 years maybe) and at the time they were really sloooooow hardcourts. The easiest way to get there that I know of is to either take I-85 North or South (depending on which way you're coming from) and exit Jimmy Carter Blvd going West. Travel approximately 2 mi to Northbelt Pkwy and turn left. The road takes you straight to the tennis center.

JesseT
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, so we're now clear on the whereabouts...but, more important to me about this (and other Atlanta-area tournaments):

What's the usual schedule for these things?

Site says Th-Sun. I've seen other posts where people say the TD blocks the dates, but the actual matches usually turn out to be Fri evening and the weekend. That's cool. I can plan ahead like that.

But I couldn't plan ahead for a potential Friday morning or Thursday mid-day match. And certainly can't wait till the week of the tournament to find out.

While I can ask every TD for every tournament, I'm curious: what's the typical pattern?

Slicendicer
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Thats Hudlow TC 770-417-2210 They (the county) does not sponsor Adult tennis tournaments. One Love is Turhan Bernie's Organization... he sponsors mostly Junior tournaments. Call Hudlow and ask Casey what the deal is.

Slicendicer
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Heck, I live here and would like to know more too.
btw, Norcross is about 7mi N and W of the GA400/I285 intersection...we tend to navigate by the perimeter (285), and the 4 main arteries (i20, i85, i75, ga400).

Anyone?

1 block east of Buford Highway on Jimmy Carter Blvd. Best Friend Park

Gemini
02-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Ok, so we're now clear on the whereabouts...but, more important to me about this (and other Atlanta-area tournaments):

What's the usual schedule for these things?

Site says Th-Sun. I've seen other posts where people say the TD blocks the dates, but the actual matches usually turn out to be Fri evening and the weekend. That's cool. I can plan ahead like that.

But I couldn't plan ahead for a potential Friday morning or Thursday mid-day match. And certainly can't wait till the week of the tournament to find out.

While I can ask every TD for every tournament, I'm curious: what's the typical pattern?

Typical pattern is first matches beginning no sooner than 5:30pm on Friday evening (at least the one's I've played) because the TD's understand that people will be coming from their jobs. Tourney normally ends on Sunday if that is the stated date but weather could push it into the following work week.

JesseT
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
heads up, there's another tourney coming at this site. Looks like, despite all the rain, the Feb 09 tournament actually did go through.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Results.aspx?T=76443

Is that common for many small tournaments? 8-10 people total?