PDA

View Full Version : Help me get back into shape!

BumperJeep
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm a high school senior and I want to get ready for tennis starting in a month, and in the last few months, i have gained a few. I'm by no means out of shape. I would say that I'm still in relatively good shape for a teenager, but I want to be in really good shape again for the season. I 5'7 -5'8 and at my highest weight ever at about 156. I havent grown much in the past couple of years, but the lowest weight I have been is 138 at the same weight. When I'm in my best shape, I have big arms and chest but a very lean stomach (no six pack.) I have noticed that my metabolism has slowed down. In my best shape, I can do about 30 pull ups, now I'm not sure. Help me get into shape again, quick! :)

Oops, I put it in the wrong forum. Sorry mods!

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Health and Fitness section will yield much more useful replies, FYI.

BumperJeep
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I didn't realize I was posting in this one until afterwards, I'm assuming that its going to be moved anyway

tennisfreak15347
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
the best way for you to get into shape isnt through asking us, it's through playing tennis.

fuzz nation
02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
In my opinion, you're not going to be able to seriously overhaul yourself in a month, so don't set goals that you can't reach. The thing with starting a tennis season is that you're suddenly pounding on your lower half pretty much every day of the week and if you haven't been doing any preseason running, your body is only going to spend the first couple of weeks breaking down.

Start a moderate running routine now where you're doing a little distance/cardio work along with some sprinting. You might even want to work out with a soccer ball to help with your balance and lateral movement. I'd say to run maybe three or four times a week for two weeks, then take your third week completely off from running. This will let your body recover so that you can run a little more in your fourth week and actually make some progress on the way into your season. With this method, that period of breaking down will be behind you and you'll have a lot better chance of staying sound through your entire season.

Take extra time for thorough stretching after your workouts and consider getting in a pool for your third week. If you decide to also do a little lifting, again, don't go crazy. Stick with a moderate routine that you can maintain to help get you broken in for the season, not broken down. You might want to also consider a tennis lesson now so that you have some good habits to carry into your season. If your shoes are old and used up, get fresh ones now if you can so that they're a little broken in when you head out with the troops.

BumperJeep
02-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm by no means out of shape, but I'm just not in the shape that I would like to me. I think my main problem now is that my metabolism slowed down. During the summer, I could literally lose a pound a day. I feel like I don't have as much energy lately. I think I need to work on the metabolism, any tips to give my metabolism a boost? I have been running, just three or four times a week as opposed to everyday. I live in Jersey, and I'm a poor 18 year old, so I don't really have the chance to actually play

Rickson
02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Eat 5 times a day, do some resistance training, and take a good multi.

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Eat 5 times a day, do some resistance training, and take a good multi.

Mail sent, my friend.

tennisfreak15347
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm by no means out of shape, but I'm just not in the shape that I would like to me. I think my main problem now is that my metabolism slowed down. During the summer, I could literally lose a pound a day. I feel like I don't have as much energy lately. I think I need to work on the metabolism, any tips to give my metabolism a boost? I have been running, just three or four times a week as opposed to everyday. I live in Jersey, and I'm a poor 18 year old, so I don't really have the chance to actually play

do you happen to live in south jersey?