PDA

View Full Version : Back to tennis after 1 month off

SmAsH999
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey, everyone. Well, I'm back. I've been off from tennis for a little over 1 month due to tendinitis and now I'm back...but not better than ever. Today, I hit with a local coach's student, who I usually go really easy on. However, I played horrible tennis. I played like a 4-4.5. I know that time is important, but is there anything else to help me help my game get back to normal?

Thanks loads,
Smash

LeeD
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Not dat I doubt your hitting partner is 4-4.5....
One month off is nothing. I take 7 months off tennis each year since 1979.
First day back is usually not bad. Second or third can be horrific and fying.
Hit more balls, more often, and you'll get back the old daze.
Me, since the old daze will never happen again, I can only look forward to decaying skills, eyesight, and footspeed.
I consider a "4.5 player, similar to a B player years ago, capable of beating top college players Div 11 and 111, capable of holding their own in Open tournaments (not winning, obviously), and needing the little black book to find equally capable players, never finding a pickup game worth the effort.

SmAsH999
02-05-2009, 04:46 AM
okay, thanks, LeeD. Hopefully i can hit some serves this weekend and improve more.

Bottle Rocket
02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
However, I played horrible tennis. I played like a 4-4.5.

So, uhhh, you normally play 4.5 - 5.0 level tennis? :confused:

I don't think a true 4.5 player comes to a tennis forum to ask how to get their game back to "normal" during their first or second hit after time away.

Anyway, you might consider practice, improving your fitness, conditioning, and setting realistic goals for yourself.

Fay
02-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Hey, everyone. Well, I'm back. I've been off from tennis for a little over 1 month due to tendinitis and now I'm back...but not better than ever. Today, I hit with a local coach's student, who I usually go really easy on. However, I played horrible tennis. I played like a 4-4.5. I know that time is important, but is there anything else to help me help my game get back to normal?

First two days back from any time off more than 2 days you will feel flat.

let it go and relax ... third day you will feel better

the hardest thing to get atheltes to do is to take needed rest breaks.

Tendons and other connective tissue can take 8 weeks - a year to heal ... so just take it easy and have fun.