PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with my 1hbh. Moving on to 2hbh.

KBlade
02-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Tennis tryouts yesterday and today were atrocious because my backhand simply didn't work. Whenever a ball went to my backhand, I'd lose the point. It's been like this for a while, and I just don't think that a 1hbh is consistent nor practical against heavy topspin players. No matter how much I practice I still don't feel confident with this stroke.

Any tips on how to start learning a 2hbh?

fuzz nation
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
If you can make the time and investment to go and get a lesson now, you can get to work on some good habits instead of experimenting on your own, learning some bad habits, and then needing to unlearn them down the road. It doesn't sound like you have time to figure out a good stroke on your own with the season looming, right?

Bud
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Tennis tryouts yesterday and today were atrocious because my backhand simply didn't work. Whenever a ball went to my backhand, I'd lose the point. It's been like this for a while, and I just don't think that a 1hbh is consistent nor practical against heavy topspin players. No matter how much I practice I still don't feel confident with this stroke.

Any tips on how to start learning a 2hbh?

Run a search.

sukivan
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
if you stick with it, you will eventually break through and suddenly you will love hitting 1 handed backhands, where you can unload on every ball

soyizgood
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
^^^If that was the case, why does Federer slice at least half his backhands and almost always returns serves to his backhand via slicing?

As for the topic, you can come by our zone (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171896). We have a bunch of links on the first post.

jamauss
02-04-2009, 10:57 PM
^^^If that was the case, why does Federer slice at least half his backhands and almost always returns serves to his backhand via slicing?
Stop for a minute and think about "percentages" and tennis.

Fed slices backhands that should be sliced. When he's out wide, the ball is high, or the shot is coming with a metric ton of pace. He doesn't just slice cause he feels like it.

Backhand slices on service returns isn't a bad idea either. It usually allows Fed to get tougher serves back into the court (and usually fairly deep) and keep himself in the point. It also (I think) gives his opponents a different look at a ball with little pace rather than a topspin return that after a while, becomes a ball most of Fed's opponents can hit a big shot from.

Do you play a 1-handed backhand?

soyizgood
02-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Do you play a 1-handed backhand?

No, I don't. I responded to that guy saying "you can unload on every ball". It just does not play out that way on the 1HBH or any stroke for that matter. I slice maybe 5% of my 2H backhands, but with a 1HBH you're going to need to slice at a much higher rate.

Slicing can be effective as Federer makes good use of it, so don't get me wrong. My point was to prove that guy was just wrong. That's all.

jamauss
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, you definitely can't "unload on every ball" but I think you can put a little more on your shot with a 1-hander easier than with a 2 hander. Problem is, unless your 1-hander is really solid, you'll want to play it a lot safer than "unload".

BreakPoint
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Because slicing annoys the hell out of 2HBH opponents.

And Federer doesn't slice at least half of his backhands. Didn't you watch the AO final against Nadal? He hardly sliced a single backhand. I was wishing he sliced a lot more during that match, which may have won him the match.

BreakPoint
02-04-2009, 11:47 PM
No, I don't. I responded to that guy saying "you can unload on every ball". It just does not play out that way on the 1HBH or any stroke for that matter. I slice maybe 5% of my 2H backhands, but with a 1HBH you're going to need to slice at a much higher rate.

Slicing can be effective as Federer makes good use of it, so don't get me wrong. My point was to prove that guy was just wrong. That's all.
He said you "can" unload on every ball. That doesn't mean that he does nor is it wise to do so. Variety is the name of the game.