PDA

View Full Version : Head Hunters / Purposely Hitting The Opponent

Pages : [1] 2

OldSchooLTennis
02-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Okay do you want to know the two biggest complaints I have about tennis? People who cheat and call balls out that are in and people who are head hunters in doubles.

OK listen to this one everyone. Last year during the tennis season our team played a pretty decent school and last year i was playing number 1 doubles. Lets just say our high school compition is not very good! I was only 13 years old. And this foreighn exchanged student right when we started the match was head hunting for me! I was just a little guy too! I mean i could handle all the other pace back then but this kid hit harder then alot of the men in my area and he RAILED me 3 times durning the match and i new he was doing it on purpose because when he was returning serve he would glare at me!

And it wasnt like i wasnt fast enough to move out of the way it was just because my partner had a weak second serve and he was taking the ball inside the baseline.

I mean come on people that really isn't tennis.

Perfect
02-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I feel your anger towards those who cheat and make bad calls. I disagree with you about the "head hunters". If the only reason you got hit was because you did not have time to move because of you partner's weak serve, than it's not really your fault. Please don't complain about players like this otherwise, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

JackD
02-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Not to be insensitive but when your playing doubles and you get hit its either your own fault or your partners NOT the other team. If your partner doesn't have a second serve then play 2 back ( which in high school is very effective and better then 1 up and 1 back). Doubles players should be aggresive and try to "take" the net.

Attention high school players- Make the net player prove that they can handle a hard ball hit right at them most players can't. If they cant, take it to them every time and force them off the net.

OldSchooLTennis
02-26-2005, 05:05 PM
very very good point

OldSchooLTennis
02-26-2005, 05:07 PM
But tennis isn't about trying to hurt people and this kid i think was trying to hit me. But i agree with you about all of that. I guess i should of stayed out of the kitchen ;)

AndrewD
02-27-2005, 03:30 AM
If you're paired up with someone who has such a weak serve that the opposition can drill the ball at you, just move back to the baseline. It'll stop them getting the cheap point by nailing you and it will put you back in the point. There's no sense in throwing away points and games on your partner's weak serve just to play 'traditional' doubles. If you're only getting a beating from one side then play up for the point you feel you can win then back for the one you cant.

We get this all the time playing 'social' tennis on Sundays. Often I'll be on the court with a 2.0 up against a couple of 3.0-5.5's. If I stay at the net they pretty much take me out of the point ( they're usually nice enough not to drill it at me but i mightn't hit one shot in the whole game) which puts too much burden on my partner. Moving back to the baseline makes me a factor again, especially when my partner serves to the duece court as a return goes to my backhand or if down the middle to my forehand. It means my partner only has to deal with his forehand, which is usually the stronger shot for a lower rated player.

Also, if your partner doesn't have the best serve, he might find it easier to serve with you away from the net (might give him the impression he's got more court to serve to).

Rickson
02-27-2005, 06:48 AM
If your partner hits a weak 2nd serve or sends a really weak groundstroke over to your opponents, just get out of the way. If the guy returning hits you while you're attempting to bail, then I'd do something (punch him in the face) because you'd know it was intentional. You can't play the net with a partner who gives the opponents marshmallows to rocket at you.

JackD
02-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Going at someone isn't an attempt to hurt anyone. Most coaches will tell you to not aim at the head but lower at the feet or the hip of their dominant hand. My rule is if the player turns their back in an attempt to get out of the way I'll take the pace off because they are more or less giving up instead of drilling them in the back (I don't think thats a classy move). If the net player is in the ready position up at the net looking to pick of my ball and go at my partner then its absolutely okay to go at them to try and puch them back off the net and you don't need to feel bad about doing it.

OldSchooLTennis
02-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Well he was going right for me to hurt me man. One of the times he hit me in the kindy and another time he hit me in the upper back.

matchpoints
02-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Well he was going right for me to hurt me man. One of the times he hit me in the kindy and another time he hit me in the upper back.

I usually go for the net guys if I feel that they had hooked us on a previous point....just to send them a message. Or we'll hit a drop shot then go for them instead of lobbing. Either way, message gets send very clearly. It's more effective then arguing with them over a line call.

ibemadskillzz
02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I played #1 doubles last year. This guy was #5 in usta my section. He was whaling forehands, you just put your racquet on it with solid form = winner.

If someone cheats or does something that gets you mad. This is what I do. I play some regular points with low speed cross court. Then suddenly, out of rhythm, Just blast a SCREAMING (preferably 80-98 mph groundstroke) shot to the net man- down the line, it gets them everytime- they become injured. Make sure you put height on it, you don't want this to go into the net.

OldSchooLTennis
02-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Thats evil ;)

AndrewD
02-28-2005, 12:07 AM
ibemadskillzz, thats the sort of crap attitude that the poster was complaining about in the first place. If your intention is to hurt someone then you need serious psychiatric help. Hitting at the guy on the net is a tactic to move him across to the sidelines or get him to stand back a bit further if he's crowding the net. OldSchooLTennis, if you want people to lose all respect for you, by all means give that a try. Its a gutless tactic and the kind of thing you do when you haven't got the balls to confront someone directly.

equinox
02-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Have you considered quiting tennis and taking up boxing.
Boxing would probably be less painful than being beaten up on the tennis court.

Geezer Guy
02-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Well, our object should NOT be to hurt anyone. However, a shot into the body can be effective if all players on the court are pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't hit a shot AT women or children, but in USTA matches where everyone has the same rating I'll go at them and I expect them to go at me.

In a HS match, you'll probably get the same thing. Ask your coach to work with your partner to develop a better second serve, AND ask your coach to work with you to improve your vollying skills. It someone hits a shot right to you and you volly it away for a clean winner, they're not going to do that again very often.

Good luck to you.

tennis-n-sc
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
In watching the Bryan Bros at Davis Cup last fall, I can tell that when they got the opportunity, they hit every ball as hard as they could at the opponents. They try to crush every shot. Not saying that should be the way it is done in HS or league play, but I do believe it is the coming trend in doubles. Better get good at the net.

dennis1188
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Yes, in doubles at the club/league levels, if aiming down at the feet is OK. But it is also the fault of your partner, for hitting such a poor/weak serve. Best to head to the backcourt, if you chose to continue to play w/ weak serving partners. Of course at the Pro level and on TV, their reflexes and skills are far superior and matches are closely watched and conducted under a stricter 'code of professional conduct', which is quite different conditions from a casual club or even usta league match.

OldSchooLTennis
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Have any of you guys really had a blood match against another doubles team where your really aiming to hurt them and there doing the same back?

tennis-n-sc
02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I don't think it would be called a blood match. I have never tried to hurt anyone or hit them in the head. But I do try to win the point and I believe my opponents will as well. I try to hit low toward shins, legs, feet or just near by. But there is certain message being sent as well. Like many have said before, weak returns beg to be put away and the net guy should be watching the opponent on the other side of the net to see what his reaction is. If I see my opponent on the other side of the net raise his racket, I get ready to eat one or to try to get a racket on one coming right at me. It is a big part of doubles. Points end quickly and you have to win as many of them as you can.

dennis1188
02-28-2005, 02:34 PM
What 'Blood Match' ? There is already WWF meets Tonya Harding.
All those with bad attitude should stay away from tennis.

scez
02-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I was playing a girl today who nailed a ball straight at my head which I just blocked. But I know it wasnt on purpose.

Datacipher
02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Have you considered quiting tennis and taking up boxing.
Boxing would probably be less painful than being beaten up on the tennis court.

Well, you wouldnt' get hit in the back anyways.....;-)

Anyways, agree with everyone, nothing is more pathetic than cheating. But the headhunting...well it's part of the game in competitive tennis. You know on some level when you are at the net, you are trying to intimidate the other guy, saying "hey, don't hit here, I'm at the net, and I am cutting off your options with my body/racquet"....so it's completely fair for him to reverse the intimidation if you can't handle his pace. I only get on my students for doing it, if the ball is an easy sitter and the other guy concedes(turns his back).

If it makes you feel any better, unless you get hit in the eye or groin, the ball won't ever cause serious damage....yeah, it'll sting bad,maybe even bruise and welt later, nobody wants to get hit hard....but you'll be fine, so try not to get too worried about it....

If he can hit you consistently, you will have to make adjustments....you might even have to give up the net, until you improve your volley and/or partner improves serve...but you can't really stay up there and expect him not to do it in a real match....

and yes, I have gone at opponents many times to win the point and intimidate...but only 2 x do I remember wanting to hurt...and I'm not proud of it.

Once in an open double match, we played 2 guys who acted like first class jerks and even encouraged their friends in the stands to make fun of us. My buddy who had not touched a racquet in 3 years, was a bit rusty(but used to be a top junior and was actually better than any of us) so they were picking on him. Finally I'd had enough of them and their beer drinking fans, so on the next short serve, I wound up and fired my forehand flat at the net guy and bounced a ball off his chest about 30 feet into the air. Actually I'm not sorry for that one.

Another time, I was giving some lessons, when a university student came up and barged in on the court. He knew a few of the students and grabbed a racquet, bragged about his prowess and generally was extremely loud and obnoxious. Despite his bragging, he couldn't really play, yet he was disparaging a lot of my beginners....so when I got a slightly short sitter, I went right at his groin.....and hit him right in the groin....i can still hear the slap of the ball....actually, the shot just flashed through my mind....and I was a bit shocked I executed so precisely as to hit him dead center, as it was sort of a spontaneous last second intent....and I honestly felt immediately really bad, as his knees buckled and he dropped....he didn't want to play after that!

Phil
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, you wouldnt' get hit in the back anyways.....;-)

Anyways, agree with everyone, nothing is more pathetic than cheating. But the headhunting...well it's part of the game in competitive tennis. You know on some level when you are at the net, you are trying to intimidate the other guy, saying "hey, don't hit here, I'm at the net, and I am cutting off your options with my body/racquet"....so it's completely fair for him to reverse the intimidation if you can't handle his pace. I only get on my students for doing it, if the ball is an easy sitter and the other guy concedes(turns his back).

If it makes you feel any better, unless you get hit in the eye or groin, the ball won't ever cause serious damage....yeah, it'll sting bad,maybe even bruise and welt later, nobody wants to get hit hard....but you'll be fine, so try not to get too worried about it....

If he can hit you consistently, you will have to make adjustments....you might even have to give up the net, until you improve your volley and/or partner improves serve...but you can't really stay up there and expect him not to do it in a real match....

and yes, I have gone at opponents many times to win the point and intimidate...but only 2 x do I remember wanting to hurt...and I'm not proud of it.

Once in an open double match, we played 2 guys who acted like first class jerks and even encouraged their friends in the stands to make fun of us. My buddy who had not touched a racquet in 3 years, was a bit rusty(but used to be a top junior and was actually better than any of us) so they were picking on him. Finally I'd had enough of them and their beer drinking fans, so on the next short serve, I wound up and fired my forehand flat at the net guy and bounced a ball off his chest about 30 feet into the air. Actually I'm not sorry for that one.

Another time, I was giving some lessons, when a university student came up and barged in on the court. He knew a few of the students and grabbed a racquet, bragged about his prowess and generally was extremely loud and obnoxious. Despite his bragging, he couldn't really play, yet he was disparaging a lot of my beginners....so when I got a slightly short sitter, I went right at his groin.....and hit him right in the groin....i can still hear the slap of the ball....actually, the shot just flashed through my mind....and I was a bit shocked I executed so precisely as to hit him dead center, as it was sort of a spontaneous last second intent....and I honestly felt immediately really bad, as his knees buckled and he dropped....he didn't want to play after that!

Datacipher! You're a killer, man. If I ever get on the court with you, someone please remind me to bring a kelvar vest (complete with the optional "hanging" attachment to cover the family jewels), and a lacrosse helmet!

But I agree about head hunting-it's part of the game and some players will do it for as long as they know they have the net guy intimidated (and they can win the point). Doing it on a FREQUENT basis, I think, is a bit punk-just my opinion-but it's perfectly legal and a legit strategy. I've made a couple "vengence" shots myself-amazing how accurate you can be when raw emotion/anger mixes with perfect technique and timing on one particular shot in time.

OldSchooLTennis
02-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey i'm not the kind of player to go for another player because thats just how i am but i just wanted feedback on maybe some peoples other experiences.

OldSchooLTennis
02-28-2005, 05:22 PM
And i would love to hear anymore stories you guys have about doubles experiences.

Cypo
02-28-2005, 11:11 PM
I play a lot of mixed doubles, and I have never had a problem with the guy aiming at me. Sometimes I can handle the shot, sometimes I've opted to move back. I was absolutely of the opinion that nailing the net "man" is fair game.

Two weeks ago, I played a mixed where the woman aimed at my head and I've amended my opinion; I think this is unsporting in tennis. Shots below the neck you can adjust to, but shots at the head are dangerous and, since you risk smashing yourself in the face with your racquet if you try to play them, practically impossible to play.

In all three cases, she was playing a short ball and I was backing off the net so we were both near the service line.

Datacipher
03-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Datacipher! You're a killer, man. If I ever get on the court with you, someone please remind me to bring a kelvar vest (complete with the optional "hanging" attachment to cover the family jewels), and a lacrosse helmet!

I already know from your posts that you're not easily intimidated Phil and that you have iron jewels ;-)

Oh and Oldschooltennis, bear in mind, I'm not advocating going at the net person with the intent to intimidate or hit, just saying it is legit and sometimes the smart option in certain situations. But again, we're talking competition, for me, that means tournament play and at the open level, it's fair to say that the play is relatively serious. If I'm playing a local club weekend tournament, filling in for somebody, I'll choose not to do things like this as it's more of a recreational tournament.

Generally, especially in singles, when I go at the net guy hard, he's able to at least protect himself somewhat even if he can't handle it....that makes sense when you think about it, because generally in tournaments, I'm playing people at close to my level or unfortunately sometimes above! ;-) After all, I'm known for my power, but I can let it fly from the baseline all I want, and I'm not going to hit Roger Federer!

Occasionally I'll come across a weak player trying to play up, or a guy who can't play the net in doubles....usually in these cases, I won't go crazy on him...if he's weak in singles, I can afford to be selective and generous in shot selection...if it's doubles...I might go at him once or twice early to test him...and perhaps plant doubt in his mind....but I'll feel bad if I go at him relentlessly, even if it wins us the points...but that's a personal choice, I can't blame anyone else in tournament matches if they choose to pick on the guy all the time.

Of course at the open level, everyone is experienced and can take care of themselves and knows what to expect, you're a young guy Oldschool and it's sometimes a bit different for my juniors, because development varies so much in different aspects of the game(volley's vs serve's vs groundies) as well as power and strength and size. So, sometimes it's really hard for a young fellow when some kid comes along who hits a lot harder than what he's used to....the good news is that eventually it tends to even out somewhat, everyone will hit harder, including you, and everyone will be able to handle it better.

equinox
07-04-2006, 09:02 AM
If the shots there to be taken knock'em out.

AceYouVeryMuch
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I usually aim for the net guy when I play doubles. Loooove when I recieve weak second serves.

rasajadad
07-04-2006, 10:52 AM
We all know its against the rules to intentionally hurt your opponent. If someone intentionally injures you, the match is yours by default. However, how do you know if this guy is trying to injure you? It'd be tough to prove. If you thought it was the case, though, and wanted to send a message- Lendl him. (Drop shot, then hit it at his hip.) Otherwise, getting hit at is part of life as a net man. Get used to it. Getting mad only serves your opponents aims.

tennis-n-sc
07-04-2006, 11:13 AM
We all know its against the rules to intentionally hurt your opponent. If someone intentionally injures you, the match is yours by default. However, how do you know if this guy is trying to injure you? It'd be tough to prove. If you thought it was the case, though, and wanted to send a message- Lendl him. (Drop shot, then hit it at his hip.) Otherwise, getting hit at is part of life as a net man. Get used to it. Getting mad only serves your opponents aims.

Say what? If someone comes over the net and ko's you, you might claim the match when you wake up. Otherwise, if you are on the court with a racket, it is assumed you know how to protect yourself from the little yellow fellow.

slewisoh
07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I sometimes play with a woman who years ago was hit squarely in the eye and suffered permanent damage. This was when folks still wore the hard contact lenses, and her lense shattered in her eye. She still plays tennis, but she wears protective eyewear and cannot see the ball as clearly.

I don't mind playing against someone who I know has the ability to nail me, but I hate playing a person who hits wildly at the net - those folks will end up seriously injuring someone.

stc9357
07-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I generally don't aim at people at the net but if somebody makes me mad with a bs line call they better watch out cause I will nail you. I've hit a person three times in a match before because of the tactics him and his partner used and it was on three overheads he had plenty of oppurtunity to get out the way. After the hird one he wasn't much of a tough guy anymore and anytime his partner hit a serve he got out of the way and when I was at net. I regret it kinda but if somebody hits the ball at me I generally give them a response back sometime during the match when they least expect it.

slice bh compliment
07-04-2006, 12:01 PM
...he RAILED me 3 times durning the match ...I mean come on people that really isn't tennis.

Yeah, you've got a jerk there, but he could argue that it is unintentional and that bodyshots are a part of the game. And how could you prove him wrong?
Now, by letting him hit you THREE times, you are feeding this jerk aren't you?

AndrewD had sage advice. My version of it: I would probably get hit once or twice, then take two steps back and expect the bean ball. Use the racquet and your quickest reflexes to render his headhunting useless.

equinox
07-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I sometimes play with a woman who years ago was hit squarely in the eye and suffered permanent damage. This was when folks still wore the hard contact lenses, and her lense shattered in her eye. She still plays tennis, but she wears protective eyewear and cannot see the ball as clearly.

I don't mind playing against someone who I know has the ability to nail me, but I hate playing a person who hits wildly at the net - those folks will end up seriously injuring someone.

That's a real tear jerker story. :rolleyes:

If the women or men can't handle getting blasted. They should get the hell off the tennis court and go play with there kids in the park down the road.

9000tennis
07-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I agree. Aiming for the net man is a part of the game, when you play in a higher league. It's not about injuring the opponent, and if someone hits another guy, it would be fair to apologize, but that doesn't mean that the next point couldn't end the same way. It's just a part of the game, when you're playing more serious tennis.
In the juniors it actually can be a quite good tactic, especially on the second serve, if you play 2 back. So you can try that.
But also, don't let this scare you. If someone hits you, even if it's on purpose, don't get too scared, because that will give the opponents an advatage.
But at all times when you're at the net, make sure that your racquet is held high. Don't let it dangle between your legs ( :cool: ), but keep it above the net and be prepared. In fact sometimes you can put it in front of your head and bend down a little, so that you are well protected, and sometimes even can make a winner volley. So keep the racquet high.
A few years back my partner and I had a team match against the national champions in doubles (one of them also had won the national championship in single, and the other guy plays Davis Cup). But I quickly realised that they were ready at all times at the net, and that is the key to win a doubles match. even if you hit at them (not to hurt them) they were ready.
So stay ready up there :D

HyperHorse
07-05-2006, 03:17 AM
If your partner hits a weak 2nd serve or sends a really weak groundstroke over to your opponents, just get out of the way. If the guy returning hits you while you're attempting to bail, then I'd do something (punch him in the face) because you'd know it was intentional. You can't play the net with a partner who gives the opponents marshmallows to rocket at you.

If you think ur gonna get hit, why dont u just stick ur racquet out in front, or just duck/get out of the way???
i really dont appreciate your opinion on this... Just because you're apparently built or whatever doesnt mean u can start a fight just because u dont like something.... that's called ASSAULT, you know? :mad:
if u get off the court and he hits the ball out, directly for u... then it's a different matter.... u could always duck and hope he hits the ball out and have the last laugh... :-P

slice bh compliment
07-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Yeh, it's not like you're defenseless up there. Thank God for that racquet. Use it well! Especially against a headhunter. Unless of course, he can get you just the job you'd like at twice the salary.

slewisoh
07-05-2006, 06:50 AM
That's a real tear jerker story. :rolleyes:

If the women or men can't handle getting blasted. They should get the hell off the tennis court and go play with there kids in the park down the road.

Not a post intended for the jerks of the world. :rolleyes:

chess9
07-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Okay do you want to know the two biggest complaints I have about tennis? People who cheat and call balls out that are in and people who are head hunters in doubles.

OK listen to this one everyone. Last year during the tennis season our team played a pretty decent school and last year i was playing number 1 doubles. Lets just say our high school compition is not very good! I was only 13 years old. And this foreighn exchanged student right when we started the match was head hunting for me! I was just a little guy too! I mean i could handle all the other pace back then but this kid hit harder then alot of the men in my area and he RAILED me 3 times durning the match and i new he was doing it on purpose because when he was returning serve he would glare at me!

And it wasnt like i wasnt fast enough to move out of the way it was just because my partner had a weak second serve and he was taking the ball inside the baseline.

YOU WERE THE AGGRESSOR! You were the one at the net. If you go to the net, expect the ball to come to you. The faster the better. Bring it on, baby! I love those kind of matches, mano a mano. Take it from an old fart, you will learn a lot playing up when your partner serves up fluff balls. :) Mostly, you will learn to play back further. Everyone at my club knows I will hit down the line in doubles. So, second serve they almost always move back. I played against the county's best junior on Monday and I was testing him every chance I got. (He also got almost all my heat, too. :) )

Something else. As a small guy, you actually should have a better chance with the smokers than a big guy. Big guys get hit at in part because they often have trouble handling balls right at them.

By the way, I just remembered a college match when I played doubles against a guy with a thermonuclear forehand. He hit me a bunch of times during the match! But, I also put away a bunch. I had a few red marks on me when that match was over. Love that stuff....

-Robert

ohplease
07-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Typical macho man posturing. It's doubles for crying out loud.

That said, if someone's coming hard at you when you're up at net, you need to prove that you can knock that garbage crosscourt in between him and his partner. Until you do that, the ball's gonna be a comin'. In fact, given the usual brain dead hit it as hard as you can mentality out there - it gonna come even after you make the returner pay.

Let's say you can't do that, or the ball's coming too fast. Start back. It's club tennis. They're not going to be able to consistently hurt you if you're both back and ready for the heat. Returning big also robs the returner of time to get in, so be ready, and send it back to him. Make him prove he can hit a low volley. Make him prove he can hit that shot more than once.

There's nothing better than conceding that an opponent might do something very well - then taking them down 6-1 or 6-2, anyway. They're exploiting your weakness, you should exploit theirs.

Ant Music
07-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Hang on, isn't this a competitive sport? If you are at the net you are a legitimate target, actually step in off the baseline and you'd better keep alert. As for hitting to hurt, if they look like they can handle themselves then fair game, if they look like wimps who've been tied to their mothers apron strings all their 20 years then i'll take it easy on them. There is little chance of causing serious injury, may cause a decent sting for a couple minutes, but nothing worth writing home about unless you bounce a 130mph serve into their plums.:shock:

ACK4wd
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Hang on, isn't this a competitive sport? If you are at the net you are a legitimate target, actually step in off the baseline and you'd better keep alert. As for hitting to hurt, if they look like they can handle themselves then fair game, if they look like wimps who've been tied to their mothers apron strings all their 20 years then i'll take it easy on them. There is little chance of causing serious injury, may cause a decent sting for a couple minutes, but nothing worth writing home about unless you bounce a 130mph serve into their plums.:shock:

Agree completely man to man:

Mixed doubles makes more difficult, especially when your partner wants you to drill the other female. I let ettiquette rule. It's kind of like baseball pitching, if someone is doing it to my partner it's all fair game. I hardly ever retaliate for accidental unless I have to.

If I'm hit making "the move," I usually laugh it off just to let them know that the best they have isn't "all that"

ironchef21
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Very few people are trying to hurt you by hitting the ball at you. Intimidate on the other hand, is another question! If you're playing any sort of competitive doubles you'll come across someone who will target you. As many have said hitting the ball at someone in doubles is a viable tactic. It's not going away so you have to deal with it.

The best way to deal with this is to work on your net game and don't put yourself in that position - as Andrew D suggested play farther back if that helps. When you're at the net you have to assume every ball is coming at you - especially if it's a high or weak shot.

Marat Safinator
07-24-2006, 02:20 PM
if you cant handle being hit, go to a nursery and dont step on a tennis court.

federer_nadal
12-18-2006, 01:08 AM
What are your opinions on players that when returning or when the ball pops up that try and hit the net player. I mean it is ok to try and hit it down the line and get close/blocked by the net player. But i mean people who actually aim for the net player when they get a smash or short ball. Personally if the i hit the ball at the net player while trying to go down the line (even if he blocks it) i will say sorry and tell them that i wasnt trying to hit them. What do you guys think about people who dont apologize?

CanadianChic
12-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Fairly simple - that kind of play is in poor form. Period! If that's the way a player must go to win then he's a loser - and to not apologize when done in error is poor sportsmanship. IMHO.

Ljubicic for number1
12-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Depends on the situation and the importance of the match. If someone is dominating the net and closing out I will go straight at them to keep them honest and put some doubt in their mind.

Bagumbawalla
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
In a friendly sort of match it is always poor form.

At the lower levels of competitive matches, people do it for a couple resons. 1they are unsure of their own skill and won't risk trying to place the ball for a winner. 2 they have a mean spirit and enjoy the thrill.

At higher levels of play, players can handle themselves at the net and hitting at them becomes less and less profitable (and sadistic types seldom make it that far).

Sometimes in match play, hitting into the body is a legitimate play, but it is very rare, and, even then, the motivations of the hitter come into play.

B

Cindysphinx
12-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Isn't it a legitimate shot to try to hit the shoes of the net player?

I played a league match on Sunday. I hit at least three balls into the legs of the net player. I apologized, of course. So what's the problem?

Regarding returning, I thought it was fine to "test" the net player with a service return, and I remember a drill class in which we spent time hitting returns at the net player as hard as we could.

hector
12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
I don’t think that the primary goal should ever be to hit the opponent but rather to play smart tennis. So, yes it is okay to aim at the opponent but only if it can be justified. Let me expand on this.

There is nothing wrong with firing a return at the net man. Especially if he (gender neutral don’t have a hissy fit) is right on top of the net. The primary goal is not to intimidate or hurt the opponent but rather to force him to make a difficult volley due to his court positioning. Often after this happens the net man will stand further back from the net. Not only have you won point but also made his future volleys and poaching more difficult.

However, it is not okay to hit the net man in the upper body with an easy overhead, since going for the feet is probably a higher percentage shot. So in this case the opponent will interpret the action as not based on high percentage tennis but rather an attempt to intimidate.

Now some would say what is wrong with trying to intimidate your opponent. Using a sportsmanship argument will not work with some folks but maybe this argument will. Your opponent may try to peg you in the head with his overhead. This can be very dangerous. So it is in the interest of all the players on the courts not to open that door of behavior.

Mistakes due happen so one should not jump to conclusions based on one incident but rather on a pattern of behavior.

cghipp
12-18-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't ever try to hit anyone, under any circumstances, but I will try to make the net person play the ball on occasion. Sometimes I will try to go down the line or up the middle and end up hitting right at the person, but aren't they supposed to want that to happen? In a friendly match I will be more careful, but in a competitive match I will go for my shots and whatever happens, happens. If there's a close call or if I actually hit someone (very rare) I will say something, but anyone who knows me, knows I am no headhunter.

blakesq
12-18-2006, 07:23 AM
If I get a lob and the net player (knowingly) stays at the net instead of backing up, I will smash it at him. Similarly, if a weaker player gets a lob, I will often rush the net thinking he cannot smash it hard enough to make me miss. But if he does smash it, and hits me, I certainly don't blame him or think he is a bad sport.

I also don't I see a problem smashing a service return at the net player either.

Blakesq

Bagumbawalla
12-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Yes, it is a legitiamate shot to aim for the shoes. Much depends on what is going on in the hitters head.

Last weekend, I was off ballance and hit a very hard overhead smash that bounced up an hit my opponent's daughter (his partner) in the back (she turned around). She is a college player and I thought she would understand that it was an accident, but she glared at for several more games. and I felt bad.

12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Ivan Lendl used to said that he did not invite anyone to the net.

I have seen him drill John McEnroe a few times. Really drill Johnny Mc. Here is the best volleyer in his era getting nailed on his RIGHT chest. Painfully crawling on the ground.

Lendl did say he aims for the right chest if you ever read his autobiography. You really can't do much if someone is aiming at your right chest. Johnny Mc was no exception. Whether you are the world's best volleyer or not, you will get nailed.

For competitive tennis, you show swagger to me, I will nail you. Right on the Right Chest where your arm holds your racket. Right there.

I will apologize later after looking at you right in the eyes.

hector
12-18-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't ever try to hit anyone, under any circumstances, but I will try to make the net person play the ball on occasion. Sometimes I will try to go down the line or up the middle and end up hitting right at the person, but aren't they supposed to want that to happen? In a friendly match I will be more careful, but in a competitive match I will go for my shots and whatever happens, happens. If there's a close call or if I actually hit someone (very rare) I will say something, but anyone who knows me, knows I am no headhunter.

Yes, in general, this volley is not too hard to handle so long as you have the proprer amount of time. However, if the ball lands short and the net player is very close to the net, A hard shot stright at the body can be very effective. In order to volley a ball right at the body, one needs to take a couple of steeps to get the body out of the way. If you hit on either side of the net person they just have to stick out their racquet.

The clasic time to use this shot is if the server has a very bad second serve that lands short and the net man is not adjusting his position or if a ball lands short in a rally and the net man does not take a more defensive position.

DRtenniS1112
12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Completely depends on the situation. It should never be done in mixed doubles. It also should never be done in a casual match with friends. However, in an intense match, such as college tennis, I say yes because it can change the match completely. You can shake someone up that way and the tables can then turn. I personally will also "headhunt" in retalliation, I'm not going to sit there and be a target for people so if they initiate it, instead of getting mad, I get even.

DrewRafter8
12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I can tell you at the recent NC 8.5 Combo state tournament most would not attempt to hit at the net player. One of my hitting partner's is a 4.5 and an opposing 4.5 smashed an overhead at him. Now, I've seen the tape and the guy did appear to be aiming at my friend's feet. However, he put a racquet on the overhead to hit it for a winner.

I know that I sometimes will hit at a netperson's feet to try and win the point. I used to do it much more, however I have found that once you get to 4.0+ most guys can and will get a racquet on it. Now, for the most part, I try to slam the ball off the court. I'd rather not take any chances.

TalkingTennis91
12-18-2006, 08:33 AM
If I go into someone's body, it's not out of poor sportsmanship, or anger, or just mean spirit. It's just that. Going into the body. Body serves? Hm? It's quite common for players not to handle balls coming into the body well, so are body serves mean? I won't go at a player every time, I'd rather pass, but if the pass isn't there, sometimes you've got to go into the body, and of course apologize afterwards and let them know that it's just business and that you mean them no ill will and you're not doing just to be a ******, but that it's sport, and some points are quite important.

bad_call
12-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Depends on the situation and the importance of the match. If someone is dominating the net and closing out I will go straight at them to keep them honest and put some doubt in their mind.

i'm with Ljubi on this one.

vascoboy
12-18-2006, 09:45 AM
It's a legitimate shot! if I am playing my mom or her friends, of course that would be ill advised...but in a normal competitive game that's another question...look...when trying to score, sometimes it's more effective to hit a body shot, where it's difficult for your opponent to get strings, then to try to hit a passing shot...also, isn't the idea to intimidate your opponent...if an opponent hits a shallow shot and he just stands close to the net, he is asking for trouble, and needs to get out of the way...
anyone who says otherwise does not understand competition...

mucat
12-18-2006, 12:37 PM
if it makes you win more points, why not.

AngeloDS
12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I disagree with it; it just shows a persons lack of skill, shot selection and ability to find open spots in the court. For me, if you want to hurt people physically go join a sport that does so. Wrestling, boxing etc. If that's your thing.

But as said, it shows a persons lack of skill. At higher levels of tennis it works maybe once or twice in a match but doesn't work often enough to change a match. This is where the skill in passing shots come in. Passing shots are pretty devastating.

The only parts I aim for on a persons body is their feet. When they come to the net, I add a lot of topspin to make it drop to their feet. A very difficult shot to deal with; you need a lot of touch to get that ball back. Once they're at the net, there's a wide selection of shots to choose from. Lobs, passing shots to the left or right, slice down the line.

I've been hit a few times purposely. It doesn't hurt too bad, but its more of a shock at first. I don't know about anyone else; but it gets me fired up and I fire on all cylinders.

Cindysphinx
12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Completely depends on the situation. It should never be done in mixed doubles. It also should never be done in a casual match with friends. However, in an intense match, such as college tennis, I say yes because it can change the match completely. You can shake someone up that way and the tables can then turn. I personally will also "headhunt" in retalliation, I'm not going to sit there and be a target for people so if they initiate it, instead of getting mad, I get even.

Hang on.

I'm playing 7.0 mixed in January. Are you saying that I can expect the men to avoid hitting down on me and returning to me?

Sweet!!! I had expected that it was my job to protect myself, like backpedaling from overheads or turning sideways,

Are there any similar constraints about my hitting to the man or hitting to the opposing woman?

donnyz89
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
it really depends... but for the most part, players that TRY to hit the player is not good. its simple sportsmanship. I mean, sure they win the point but its just unsportsmanshiplike.

there are MANY unwritten rules for many sports, and this is one of them. but now, hitting a bodyshot and hitting the other player is different. If I have a sitter at the serviceline with my opponent at the net. Hitting it right at him above the waist is highly unsportsmanship like. You might try to dip it low.

basically, if its the only way to win the point or if there arent many other choices then fine, but if the opponent is defenseless, its just unsportsmanship like. you can argue there is nothing in the rule against it but its just a GAME.

N4n45h1
12-18-2006, 02:45 PM
depends...i generally wont aim for the opposing player, but if under some circumstance i highly dislike them... ;] i might think differently

TENNIS_99
12-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Depends on what options you have. And playing good players give you less options. Good playes rarely miss overhead. When he blocks your angle at the net and you take out hitting right at him as a choice you are giving point away. On the other hand if you have a big court to hit and you elect to smash right at him,you are looking for a fight not a game.

Dashbarr
12-18-2006, 04:15 PM
if you're gonna have a lendl attitude about it, just out of mean spirit, its not ok. but, if its one of your only options, and the person walks into it (beleive me, people place themselves right infront of where i aim to hit an overhead, and its impossible to notice until ive made contact), i feel its fine. as long as you dont intend to maim the opponent or are playing with friends. for fun.

Solat
12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
there is a difference between trying to hit your opponent and aiming a ball at their feet to make it hard for them

one is very smart play and the other is for those who don't have the skill to win with good shot control & selection.

I'll give you an example of what i think was a good choice on my behalf, this weekend our opponents team had a young guy who has been playing up. In the doubles i stood up very close and crossed on pretty much all his first volleys. It was great intimidation and pressure but i never tried to hit him. I could have easily crossed and tubed him with the volley but there is no need. Now at the end of the day we actually lost the doubles, now i do not argue that had i been more aggressive toward him it may have caused him to back off and the match may have changed (who knows?). But at the end of the day you sit and have a drink and a chat, who wants to be the tool who ****ed everybody off and no-one wants to talk to? Tennis is a game, id rather be a nice guy who is respected and a 4.5 then be a 5.0 who is a knob who people hate to interract with on and off the court.

My favourite rule of thumb is to look back at a match you played a month ago, do u even care about the result? has it changed your life whether you won or lost? Now don't get me wrong no-one prefers losing to winning but at all costs?

tlm
12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Its all legal, if you dont want to get hit quit playing the net! If a guy keeps getting points coming to the net+ you can change that by hitting at him then go for it.

The reason most of the players i see come to the net is because that is the only time they can hit the ball hard, they cant hit hard from the baseline.If it works and you get him off the net, maybe he will learn how to hit ground strokes+play some real tennis.

In doubles trying to hit someone with an overhead is not right, but returning a serve hard at the net player is what you should do.What are you supposed to do let the guy at the net pick off returns?

Matt21
12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
My thing is that if I'm playing doubles and I get hit with an overhead, it's my partner's fault for laying a sitter up. Usually, you only see someone get hit with an overhead when it's a sitter hit directly to the person at the net (or in the service box). Not all lobs returned as overheads can be hit at a person. If you're backpedaling to take one out of the air, the person on the other side of the net can usually read it. At any rate, I personally don't try to physically hit someone with the ball. In the case of an overhead "sitter", if I don't have a clean alley for a put-away, I'll go for a shot that bounces somewhere near the feet of the person most obvious in my peripheral vision. As for going at someone with a groundie, it's not my style because honestly, I've lost more points hitting groundies near the net player than not. IMHO, the best shot for someone standing right at the net (if you have good shot control) is to hit an off-speed topspin drive that clears the net but a foot height or less, then dips over. That's usually good enough to get them to hit a defensive volley that allows you to take another offensive shot.

federer_nadal
12-19-2006, 12:56 AM
I mean actually trying to hit the actualy player not make him play a volley, actually hit his body. I play with a person who does this often and doesnt say sorry, the other night he hit someone in the face with a smash and i didnt hear him say sorry. When this happens the game becomes more of a fight than a game of tennis and i think this is not the way tennis is supposed to be played. I find it very rude to aim for someone, this guy apparently aims for the ladies at the net in the mixed doubles. I just think it is rude and shows lack of placement if you have to hit it straight at a lady or man at the net.

chess9
12-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I mean actually trying to hit the actualy player not make him play a volley, actually hit his body. I play with a person who does this often and doesnt say sorry, the other night he hit someone in the face with a smash and i didnt hear him say sorry. When this happens the game becomes more of a fight than a game of tennis and i think this is not the way tennis is supposed to be played. I find it very rude to aim for someone, this guy apparently aims for the ladies at the net in the mixed doubles. I just think it is rude and shows lack of placement if you have to hit it straight at a lady or man at the net.

If this guy is below 6.0, he probably doesn't have a clue where his overhead is going. That shot is not likely to be hit at a pinpoint target-like a head-with any degree of accuracy.

If I hit someone with the ball, I always apologize, but it is usually a forehand service return right at them that they can't handle. When I hit an overhead in doubles I usually try to go down the middle, because that is usually the best placement, but once I go up, all bets are off as to where it will go. :)

If your opponent is at the net, the rule is to protect yourself at all times! Man or woman, this should apply. Don't play the net if you can't handle a hard ball.

What I don't understand is why some people think the rules should be otherwise. Playing hard is not synonymous with being mean. Play enough and you will get hit and hit hard.

These are just the views of a very old tennis player who could last place an overhead in 1968, or thereabouts, if ever. I'm sure I'm wrong, as usual. :)

-Robert

OK.
12-19-2006, 01:25 AM
IMO i blelive hitting the other player on purpose is wrong... I often aim (mostly in doubles) at the feet with heaps of topspin.... or hard but around them... aiming at them is bad sportsmanship. :D (IMO)

Thud and blunder
12-19-2006, 03:05 AM
there is a difference between trying to hit your opponent and aiming a ball at their feet to make it hard for them

one is very smart play and the other is for those who don't have the skill to win with good shot control & selection.

I'll give you an example of what i think was a good choice on my behalf, this weekend our opponents team had a young guy who has been playing up. In the doubles i stood up very close and crossed on pretty much all his first volleys. It was great intimidation and pressure but i never tried to hit him. I could have easily crossed and tubed him with the volley but there is no need. Now at the end of the day we actually lost the doubles, now i do not argue that had i been more aggressive toward him it may have caused him to back off and the match may have changed (who knows?). But at the end of the day you sit and have a drink and a chat, who wants to be the tool who ****ed everybody off and no-one wants to talk to? Tennis is a game, id rather be a nice guy who is respected and a 4.5 then be a 5.0 who is a knob who people hate to interract with on and off the court.

My favourite rule of thumb is to look back at a match you played a month ago, do u even care about the result? has it changed your life whether you won or lost? Now don't get me wrong no-one prefers losing to winning but at all costs?

Great post.

I'm happy to make my opponents dance a bit, but when your intent is to hurt someone in order to make them back off or play tentatively, then I think it's gone too far.

There's obviously a fine line, which involves a bit of judgement; I think most of us handle it OK, but you get the odd knob who soon finds himself (it's alwas a him...) without opponents.

Fednad, your partner sounds like a prize *****.

rasajadad
12-19-2006, 03:59 AM
While I don't try to hit my opponent, I do hit AT them. Sometimes, they miss. Sometimes my aim is off. But I don't try.

The reality is that in the course of a 2 hour doubles match (@4.5 level) everybody gets touched.

onehandbh
12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I think there are times when you should go right at the net guy on
returns during doubles. Let's say you are pulled wide on a kick serve in the
ad court. If you think you will have a hard time getting a good return
sharp enough cross court and the netguy may poach anyways, you can
either lob or hit a hard shot right at him (or where he may vacate from
if he poaches). You could try and hit it low as well. The goal is just to make
him hit a tough volley and keep you in the point.

lenbo01
12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
if you are consistently being hit at the net by your opponent it's not their problem, it's yours. either move back to the baseline, learn to volley, or find a doubles partner that doesn't keep setting you up to allow this to happen. in short, stop whining. this has nothing to do with sportsmanship. if you're worried about being hit with a tennis ball you're playing the wrong sport. try ping pong. plus where in the rules does it not say you cannot hit your opponent with the ball?

TalkingTennis91
12-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I disagree with it; it just shows a persons lack of skill, shot selection and ability to find open spots in the court. For me, if you want to hurt people physically go join a sport that does so. Wrestling, boxing etc. If that's your thing.

But as said, it shows a persons lack of skill. At higher levels of tennis it works maybe once or twice in a match but doesn't work often enough to change a match. This is where the skill in passing shots come in. Passing shots are pretty devastating.

The only parts I aim for on a persons body is their feet. When they come to the net, I add a lot of topspin to make it drop to their feet. A very difficult shot to deal with; you need a lot of touch to get that ball back. Once they're at the net, there's a wide selection of shots to choose from. Lobs, passing shots to the left or right, slice down the line.

I've been hit a few times purposely. It doesn't hurt too bad, but its more of a shock at first. I don't know about anyone else; but it gets me fired up and I fire on all cylinders.

My goodness! The object is not to gurt the person physically! It's to put the ball in the place where it most likely will not come back. Sometimes that place is into the body. Simple as that.

batakdepores
12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

Personally, I don't EVER try to hit the body. However, if the body or the head is within my shot's path that was placed toward the baseline, who the heck is going to contest me with my "intention"???

I'm both playing devil's advocate and stating my part-opinion. Seriously, if someone's at the net (so close to it that he can touch the net with his racket), how would I seriously say I'm "aiming at his feet"?

I like Lendl's quote (thanks 1171) and Ljubicic reply. Notice that on both situations the assumption is that the players are evenly matched (Lendl Vs. Mac and Ljubicic in important match) or the event have more importance. It's within the rules of tennis to contest the netman skills. What, you think just because you don't try to hit it to his body and your dipping shot lands on his toes, it hurts less? and so it's "more" okay? Next would be a question whether it is okay for you to hit at the direction of any players, because hard shot already bounced can hurt your opponent too.

I've been tested by opponent when I stay on the net. Yes, I have been hit, but the first thing I learn is to sense when someone is about fire a canon at me. And since I'm not in my teens, what I meant about canon is a flatly hit bullet inches above the net tape. Guess what, those canon are fire to hit the baseline and I'm on its way. That's how I learn to block. Since I play badminton, the easiest way for me to hit a volley (block) fire at your chest is a backhand volley. Either that or develop a reflex by repetition. If that fails, get bitten by a spider and get yourself some spider-sense. If THAT fails, and you respect your opponent capabilities and you still love your body, then turn around walk to the back until you cross a second line called the baseline, turn around and stay there.

Seriously guys, with the context that I NEVER try to hit players, I'm introducing the idea of owning the net or move back to this "discussion". My goal in my reply is to balance the flat out "No" and give some alternative view.

Thanks.

P.S. Hector, you contacted me thru email but have not respond to my reply. Is 3.5-4.0 too low of a level? I won't be offended if your answer is yes.

AngeloDS
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
You have 27 feet to the left and right and 39 feet deep to hit in. You have a lot of spots you can choose. There's a lot you can do and choose from TalkingTennis91.

But again; it's a strategy for players who really suck. This tactic doesn't work when you player better people. You need to have a variety of options.

Geezer Guy
12-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Want a sure way to miss an easy overhead? Try aiming AROUND your opponents so as not to hurt anyone - that'll screw up your shot for sure!

When I get an overhead I have my head up and my eye on the ball. I'm mentally aiming for a spot on the court. If my opponent happens to be standing in that spot - tough.

I almost never aim to actually hit my opponent. If I do happen to hit them, I apologize.

On the few occasions when I'm playing a butthead and fighting fire with fire, if I aim for and hit my opponent on purpose, I -DON'T- apologize.

VadeRetro
12-19-2006, 01:17 PM
A couple of month ago I played a doubles match.
When it was my turn to serve, the opposing netplayer took position at the middle of the net, deliberately trying to block half of the serve-area.
There was but one option: Serve as hard as possible at him!
Not to hurt him, but to scare him off!

blakesq
12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
If you are playing doubles, and the net guy is poaching, then you are stupid if you don't fire the occasional service return at the net guy to keep him honest with respect to poaching.

TonyB
12-19-2006, 02:51 PM
If I feel that hitting at the netman is the "best play" available, and I think that I can win the point by doing so, then I'll hit at the netman.

Generally, I don't hit at their chest, because that's not the best play. The best play is typically at their feet or hitting-side hip. But if you aim for the hip or higher, then your chances of hitting the ball out increase.

If my opponent has a weak serve and his netman is too stupid to position himself backed away from the net, I often pound the return right at the netman. Sooner or later he'll (or she'll) learn.

<3Tennis
12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I usually just mishit the ball for some reason. I get a short ball and then he jumps up to the net and I'm afraid I will hit him and i just hit it somewhere else. Usually it is out :(

But sometimes people are poor sports when this happens since I played this person in a league match and I got a short ball. Then he just jumps up right up and yells HAHHHHHAAAA and that just throws up my timing and I was about to hit him because he was in the path of my ball. Thinking back at that now, I wished I hit him. :p

blakesq
12-20-2006, 06:36 AM
3Tennis,

You should have called a hindrance, and won the point.

Blakesq

ITF Rules of Tennis
26. HINDRANCE (OLD 21,25 & 36)
If a player is hindered in playing the point by a deliberate act of the opponent(s), the player shall win the point. However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s), or something outside the player’s own control (not including a permanent fixture).

I usually just mishit the ball for some reason. I get a short ball and then he jumps up to the net and I'm afraid I will hit him and i just hit it somewhere else. Usually it is out :(

But sometimes people are poor sports when this happens since I played this person in a league match and I got a short ball. Then he just jumps up right up and yells HAHHHHHAAAA and that just throws up my timing and I was about to hit him because he was in the path of my ball. Thinking back at that now, I wished I hit him. :p

dricas24
12-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I dont think it is good for tennis nor do I think it is bad for tennis. If you dont want to get hit by the ball you shouldn't play because that happens time to time. I dont encourage it either because alot of people are sensitive and that usually causes confrontations.

kevhen
12-20-2006, 06:56 AM
It's part of the game. If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

tennis-n-sc
12-20-2006, 07:50 AM

I kinda agree with CG and CC. To take a short floater or sitter and bean the net player with the put away is poor form, and IMO, a good way to get your butt kicked. I have hit folks but not intentionally and always apologize. I think a lot of the agressive attitudes tend to come from new players or young 'uns. The older we become the more we realize it's a game of sportsmanship and fun.

metsjets
04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
why do people apologize after hitting a person? if i get a high forehand in the middle of the court, i'm definitely going to hit the guy. it's my best chance to win the point. why should i apologize? i meant to hit him. i don't apologize for cleaning my room, because at the time, i meant to do it. so why apologize? IF i were to accidentally hit my opponent in the balls, or in any other place to cause him serious injury, FINE. THEN i would apologize. but until that happens, i will never apologize for hitting my opponent, let alone miss-hits.

Bodacious DVT
04-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Before this gets out of hand (as it has done on many other forums), let me say that i never try to intentionally hurt my opponent.

also let me say, i am a doubles player.

Now, in doubles, it is excellent strategy to go after the net guy, especially on weak balls. opponent closer to the net = less reaction time = great target.

now, when it comes to serves, thats a little different. If the opposing net player is trying to distract me or constantly poaches, YES I WILL PEG HIM. give him the message to stop. works every time.

as far as apologizing, no. did i mean to hit them? yes. am i sorry? nope. is it their fault for giving me an easy ball? ya. do they have a racket to defend themselves? yes, why not use it?

the only time i will apologize for a shot is if it hurts them or hits the net cord.

Pro Staff Pete
04-25-2007, 02:18 PM
About the net cord. You usually say 'sorry' but.. do you mean it? No you don't! I guess it just comes with the game..

On the other hand.. when your opponent hits a shot that goes via the net cord and he says 'sorry'.. will you be less disappointed? Don't think so.

theRadical
04-25-2007, 02:37 PM
You shouldnt ever try to hit the other guy, unless he was being a jerk or something. On high easy balls you can easily not hit the guy and still have a winner.

I guess in your case theres no reason to say sorry because you mean to hit the person everytime. You kinda sound like an ahole

Doc Hollidae
04-25-2007, 02:44 PM
In high school it was fun to tag people just to tag them. That's what made doubles fun. Now that I'm older I find myself taking the easy putaway over the blantant attempt to tag the guy. (I missed way too many shots in HS going for tags). If the situation calls for it I'll slam a shot or two at a guy, but I no longer have the intent of hitting anyone anymore.

On a side note though, I do use my first return game in doubles to slam some returns at the net guy to keep him honest and make him think twice about being aggressive at he net.

In regards to apologizing, it's just the "gentleman-ly" thing to do I guess. Kinda like apologizing for a let or a bad toss.

103xStateChamp
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I usually go for the net guys if I feel that they had hooked us on a previous point....just to send them a message. Or we'll hit a drop shot then go for them instead of lobbing. Either way, message gets send very clearly. It's more effective then arguing with them over a line call.

Yes I love doing that especially when your facing really bad kids that cant read lines. I get that weak 2nd serve or 1st and bullet 1 at the net guy.

103xStateChamp
04-25-2007, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=AngeloDS;1122499]I disagree with it; it just shows a persons lack of skill, shot selection and ability to find open spots in the court. For me, if you want to hurt people physically go join a sport that does so. Wrestling, boxing etc. If that's your thing.

Wrestling isn't about hurting someone.

Vision84
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

The answer to that is 2 back on the second serve. Hitting the ball at the net man can be a good shot cause it is a difficult ball to get back.

Eric89
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Hello everyone, in my 4.0 league match today my good friend and I were playing doubles in a somewhat heated match, when off my serve our opponents hit a nice touch return of serve while I am moving up to the net. His shot pulls me into the middle of the court because my partner could not get to it as a volley, I never yelled switch and we both end up on the same side of the court I hit a very week lob that is an extremely easy put away and the entire side of the court is open…instead of slamming to the open court our opponent slams at my partner who turned around, hitting him in the back. My partner and I have no problem with this, just another heated league match right? Well that game finishes, at 15-0 in the next game I get a week lob to me while I am at the net, I naturally think “payback” and slam at the guy playing net, he does not turn and the ball catches him in the upper leg (eye for an eye?), he loses it, cursing, calling my partner and I punk kids(both 18 going on 19 in the calendar year), F****** dirty players and what not… slightly rattled we end up losing the 3rd set 5-7. The most surprising part for me was when I was pulled to the side, chewed out by our team caption for giving the team a bad reputation. I understand I should have been the better person and let it go after he slammed at my partner, however, was I in the wrong?

armand
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind -Gandhi

JavierLW
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone, in my 4.0 league match today my good friend and I were playing doubles in a somewhat heated match, when off my serve our opponents hit a nice touch return of serve while I am moving up to the net. His shot pulls me into the middle of the court because my partner could not get to it as a volley, I never yelled switch and we both end up on the same side of the court I hit a very week lob that is an extremely easy put away and the entire side of the court is open…instead of slamming to the open court our opponent slams at my partner who turned around, hitting him in the back. My partner and I have no problem with this, just another heated league match right? Well that game finishes, at 15-0 in the next game I get a week lob to me while I am at the net, I naturally think “payback” and slam at the guy playing net, he does not turn and the ball catches him in the upper leg (eye for an eye?), he loses it, cursing, calling my partner and I punk kids(both 18 going on 19 in the calendar year), F****** dirty players and what not… slightly rattled we end up losing the 3rd set 5-7. The most surprising part for me was when I was pulled to the side, chewed out by our team caption for giving the team a bad reputation. I understand I should have been the better person and let it go after he slammed at my partner, however, was I in the wrong?

Ever heard the expression "two wrongs dont make a right...."?

That being said if you had hit the opponent in an attempt to win the point then there is nothing wrong with what happened and he just over-reacted, Im not sure how anyone can really tell.

Hitting someone (especially low at the feet) is a legitimate spot to try to win the point easily to me. But doing it on purpose just to get back at someone is sort of low and very unnecessary.

Solat
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
i like to give a warning first, question why they didnt smash open court, so if the dude didn't appologise for smacking ur partner i would say "if thats the way you want to play, we can play that game too" If they fire up then its game on, if they appologise then back to normal

but if they do it twice its on for young and old

rommil
05-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey Eric, I think that one statement there kind of say it all when you said you and your partner didn't have a problem with it but yet it was a heated match. Either way you were the one that played and that's how you felt. I do understand why your captain pulled you aside but I can sympathize with you because if I felt that the opponent hit me or my partner on purpose then I would probably hit back if given the opportunity.

zapvor
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
the way i look at it, if you get on the court you better get ready for anything. however, intentional hitting the other guy is not cool.

BigJEFF
05-15-2007, 09:43 PM
my motto is an eye for an eye and add a ear

thejackal
05-15-2007, 10:05 PM
if u do it, dont feel bad about it until the last point is over. if you can't do that, dont do it.

KFwinds
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
lol - some of you are much more forgiving than I...

I have no problem with what the OP did, and find it to be a legitimate play. In fact, I'll fire straight at an opponent if I know they are hot-tempered just to throw them off their game. But if someone hits at me I certainly have no reservations about making them a target for the rest of the match.

Eric, remember next time that your opponent was very rattled when you returned the favor - use it to your advantage. They can swear and call you guys names while you go home with the "W" ;)

AndrewD
05-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I'll fire straight at an opponent if I know they are hot-tempered just to throw them off their game. But if someone hits at me I certainly have no reservations about making them a target for the rest of the match.

You'll hit the ball at someone with a quick temper to throw them off their game but if someone hits at you then you'll be thrown off your game because you'll be trying to hit the ball at them? Gotta love that kind of logic.

Regardless, if I'm playing someone dumb enough to make me a target I'll be thrilled. All it means is that I don't need to worry about poaching and I don't need to worry about second-guessing his shots. All I have to do is sit back, wait for him to hit the ball to/at me and put away an easy winner.

Eric89,

Your opponents were in the wrong BUT, so were you because you stooped to their level.

Dave M
05-16-2007, 03:15 AM
I've always felt that if you stand at the net then you are there for your and your teams benefit and tactics to gain an advantage.The downside is of course you make yourself a target. I think as you said to yourself "an eye for an eye" then your motivation may not have been "correct" but it's legit in the rules, feel free to ask if they are ok after the point is over but block it out till the game is over if they respond with any verbal.
Sounds like you lost your cool and that cost you the match you will of learnt from that no doubt!;)

tennis-n-sc
05-16-2007, 03:15 AM
One of the many reasons juniors shouldn't play adult league tennis. ;)

penpal
05-16-2007, 06:03 AM
This sounds like a classic case of only hearing one side of the story ... and from a teenager at that (not to say teenagers are habitual liars, just that their view of the world tends to be influenced by a lack of maturity).

Eric89 - if your captain chewed you out, and assuming your captain is an otherwise reasonable adult, you were probably in the wrong. Without knowledge of the specifics of the situation it is very difficult to pass any sort of legitimate judgement, but my guess is those watching believed that when your opponent hit your partner is was unintentional/accidental and when you hit your opponent it appeared to be intentional/avoidable.

My advice; proceed on the assumption that your more mature captain and opponents know of where they speak and treat this as an opportunity to learn and grow as a human being. In the long run, you will gain much more from this approach than you will if you try to rationalize your actions or argue your case.

Then again, I'm rapidly approaching 40 and am quickly becoming senile, so what do I know :p

jagsv650
05-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Eric89, if I were you I would be more upset about my captain saying something to me about it then what actually happened on the court. In my opinion he has no right "chewing out" any player in an adult league. Your opponent needs to learn to retreat or be ready for anything if not retreating on a short overhead. If he just stood there then it's his fault for getting hit.

JRstriker12
05-16-2007, 06:48 AM
My question to the original poster - did the guy apologize for hitting your partner? If so, a payback hit probably wasn't called for. If the other team did it a few times, I'd say that meant it was open season and don't cry if you get pegged back.

For those that criticize the original poster, if the other team intends to use hitting at the player at the net as a tactic, wouldn't you also use the same tactic? I would. At the 4.0 level, you can't tell me these guys don’t expect some heat coming at them while at the net.

If you play doubles and you are at the net, be prepared to get hit intentionally and accidentally.

I don't advocate hitting a person intentionally; however, I think we have to be real. There are occasions where you will hit directly at the person at the net to draw an error, it's part of the game. In that case you may end up hitting them. Were you trying to actually hit them? No, but it could happen and at that stage it's hard to judge intent in the heat of the battle.

I've also played in matches where I meant to hit away from the person, but due to being off balance or reaching for the ball, I ended up hitting at them or near them.

One more word of advice, if you're at the net and the other guy gets an overhead and you are a target... DUCK!!!

Clive Walker
05-16-2007, 06:53 AM
If you hit him on the thigh I can only assume he was wandering around somewhere near the service line- If I have just hit an opponent, this is the last place I will be loitering defending a weak lob.

Sounds like the only issue here is the language of the opponent, although not knowing much about USTA tennis I don't know if that is considered acceptable.

As a word of advice, never let your opponent know what you are thinking, or where your emotional state lies. Many experienced players love to rile a youngster, and end up beating them on purely psychological grounds. I know a player (now in his 50's), who was a former county champion, who will use bodyline hitting, an occasional dodgy call and anything he has in his armoury to unsettle a younger player.

Sup2Dresq
05-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Unless you smirked, laughed or took gratification in hitting the player, then you did nothing wrong. Frankly if he is in the way he is in the way. Remember its just a little rubber yellow fuzzy ball. Now your coach giving you crap is uncalled for, unless again you smirked, laughed and took gratification.

P.S. If you smiked, laughed or took gratification.. kudos from me. These guys sounded like jerks.

Supernatural_Serve
05-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Neither the rules of tennis nor the code make any specification whatsoever concerning hitting at players. You are free to do so.

However, my own standard is as follows:

I don't care what the opponents do concerning hitting at people. Its their choice.

I don't intentionally try to hit anyone above the waist when I am inside the service line.

Everything is fair game when I am in the back court or at or behind the baseline.

I appologize anytime I hit the opponent for any reason. Its good sportsmanship.

You will rarely get a complaint if you follow those basic principles.

Geezer Guy
05-16-2007, 07:19 AM
We don't know what your opponent was thinking when he hit your partner. It may have been accidental, or not. Hitting an overhead away from your opponent isn't always the best strategy. Especially if your opponent is skilled and athletic.
We do know that you were thinking "payback" when you hit your opponent. While not "polite", it's not illegal. I'll admit that I've done the same thing you did when I thought my partner or I were being targeted with intent to injure or intimidate. However, the best thing is just to play the ball the best way you can to win the point, and leave the "payback" aspect out of it. (Except in cases of self defense).

blakesq
05-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Your opponents were the punks. Did you invite them to come up to the net? If not, then you are perfectly justified in smashing the ball at the net person. If they can't handle it, they should be playing back, or maybe move down to a 3.0 leauge. What a bunch of wussies.

Clive Walker
05-16-2007, 07:31 AM
I appologize anytime I hit the opponent for any reason. Its good sportsmanship.

This always amuses me somewhat, even though I agree with the principle, I occasionally aim into the body and therefore occasionally hit people, yet always apologise- before lining up another one. (There's a great ironic humour there)

Supernatural_Serve
05-16-2007, 07:35 AM
This always amuses me somewhat, even though I agree with the principle, I occasionally aim into the body and therefore occasionally hit people, yet always apologise- before lining up another one. (There's a great ironic humour there)I hold my racquet up say "I'm sorry" even if I was aiming at them.

I want to play tennis not pretend I am a gladiator, so its an auto-response kind of thing for me. Although I do giggle inside sometimes.

blakesq
05-16-2007, 07:35 AM
I totally agree Clive. When I hit at a player, I don't want to hurt them, so I apologize. But I do want to intimidate them and/or win the point, so I will also line up the ball to smash at them again.

This always amuses me somewhat, even though I agree with the principle, I occasionally aim into the body and therefore occasionally hit people, yet always apologise- before lining up another one. (There's a great ironic humour there)

freelancer
05-16-2007, 07:48 AM
If you don't want to get hit at the net... play from the baseline. If you want to have the advantage of playing up at the net then you run the risk of getting hit. It's that simple.

If I get hit in doubles its either mine or my partners fault for giving them the shot in the first place, or my fault for not backing up in time.

Besides; it's tennis... there's bound to be casualties.

JLyon
05-16-2007, 07:53 AM
if you're scared of getting hit then go ride the bench, once a league/tournament match starts all is fair game. Once the match is over then be friends again.

freelancer
05-16-2007, 07:57 AM
if you're scared of getting hit then go ride the bench, once a league/tournament match starts all is fair game. Once the match is over then be friends again.

Amen!! My doubles partner and I had to play mixed against each other in a tournement this weekend. We both appologized before the match, and even went out before the match and got some beer to have afterwards. He hit me twice and I hit him once. I won the match and we stayed out 'til 2am drinking and laughing at it.

darkblue
05-16-2007, 08:48 AM

Their intent (when they hit your partner) is unknown. I'd assume many players at 4.0 & below can't direct "power" put-a-ways very well - thus frequently creating this type of situation.

Was your captain watching your match?, for both of those incidents?
If not, your captain is an idiot for not hearing/seeing both sides of the story.
(or maybe other teams/players had already complained about you in previous matches and your captain thinks that you are a problem player)

RedWeb
05-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I've played long enough to be hit in almost part of my body (eye, back of head, front of head, ear, chest, stomatch, thigh, *****). My advice when hit, simply look them right in the eye and smile, saying nothing. If you hit someone apologize and move on. The chicken who clucks first is the coward.

lostinamerica
05-16-2007, 01:52 PM
My opponents once hit a very short lob and one started running right at me as fast as he could in an effort to distract me. I hit it as hard as I could; I hit him in the nose and broke it. He quit the match but I got lectured for my bad sportsmanship by the tournament chairman. I had a hard time feeling any remorse. I really believe it was my opponents fault. I was less than 2 feet from the net and he got hit about 2 feet from the other side of the net. I was young at the time; I did not apologize and actually thought it was amusing. In my more adult years, I would see if he were alright but I still would not apologize under those circumstances.

To be honest, I have been hit intentionally and hit people intentionally. It is part of the game. If you are to slow to get out of the way, return the shot or fear getting hit; you can play the baseline. I do not intentionally hit someone unless it is meant to send a message or to intimidate someone to get in their head (only if necessary). If the court is open and I have an easy play to the open court, I will hit it there because my opponent has a hard time accidentally returning a shot for a winner that he cannot touch. In essence, I play as necessary to win the point and the match. It is nothing personal; I don't take it personal when someone hits me (whether purposeful or accidental).

Kevo
05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't like to hit anyone, but I do aim serves into the body, and I do volley at people, body and feet depending on the situation. I will also hit line drives at the netman occasionally to keep them from getting to comfortable. I don't want to hit anyone though, just force an error. I do occasionally hit people by mistake, and most of the time it's from overheads where I am trying to hit open court and just miss or the person moves into the shot.

If I think someone is hitting at me on purpose, I would give the benefit of the doubt on the first shot, but if it happened again and they didn't seem sorry, I would have no problem returning the favor. I can't imagine that happening these days though. Most of the people I play are in there late twenties and up. They don't tend to get caught up in these things. They also know that I can hit harder than they can, so they probably wouldn't want to start anything like that in the first place. :-)

Eric89
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
hey guys thanks for all the feedback, to answer a few questions... I understand the game of doubles pretty well, I know when someone is going for the feet on a slam which is all fair and good... but this guy was not going for my partners feet he went for my partner. Yes I am sure you would get another story for the guy across the net...but why would I waste the time making up a lie on a thread???

My question to the original poster - did the guy apologize for hitting your partner?

they did not apologize nor did I expect one, also I most likely wouldnt have went for him if he had hit me, but he hit my partner who is my very good friend and without sounding cheesy I wanted to "have my friends back"

tennis-n-sc
05-16-2007, 05:47 PM
My opponents once hit a very short lob and one started running right at me as fast as he could in an effort to distract me. I hit it as hard as I could; I hit him in the nose and broke it. He quit the match but I got lectured for my bad sportsmanship by the tournament chairman. I had a hard time feeling any remorse. I really believe it was my opponents fault. I was less than 2 feet from the net and he got hit about 2 feet from the other side of the net. I was young at the time; I did not apologize and actually thought it was amusing. In my more adult years, I would see if he were alright but I still would not apologize under those circumstances.

To be honest, I have been hit intentionally and hit people intentionally. It is part of the game. If you are to slow to get out of the way, return the shot or fear getting hit; you can play the baseline. I do not intentionally hit someone unless it is meant to send a message or to intimidate someone to get in their head (only if necessary). If the court is open and I have an easy play to the open court, I will hit it there because my opponent has a hard time accidentally returning a shot for a winner that he cannot touch. In essence, I play as necessary to win the point and the match. It is nothing personal; I don't take it personal when someone hits me (whether purposeful or accidental).

I don't know, man, but if I thought you intentionally hit at my head and broke my nose, I'd be inclined to come over the net for my pay back. I've been hit every where and had a frind clock me from about 5 feet hard enough to break my sun glasses and black both eyes. But I have never had anyone hit at my head intentionally. Around here, that kind of play is sure to bring on a butt whipping or worse.

lostinamerica
05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't know, man, but if I thought you intentionally hit at my head and broke my nose, I'd be inclined to come over the net for my pay back. I've been hit every where and had a frind clock me from about 5 feet hard enough to break my sun glasses and black both eyes. But I have never had anyone hit at my head intentionally. Around here, that kind of play is sure to bring on a butt whipping or worse.

I did not intentionally hit him in the nose. I do not have that kind of control. I am unsure if anyone can have that kind of control. To intentionally hit a ball at a moving target the size of a nose while hitting a moving target is not terribly realistic (even for Federer). Running at a person hitting a very short overhead in an effort to distract is bad sportsmanship. If you get hit in the face while acting in that manner, you deserve what you get. What was i suppose to do??? Watch where he was and try to hit it elsewhere. I was watching the ball and trying to win the point. He put his nose in the way.

If he had come over the net, a butt whipping would have resulted but my butt was probably safe. After all, he couldn't even see at that moment with the crimson stream flying from his nose.

CrocodileRock
05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I thought tennis was a gentlemen's game. Silly me.

KFwinds
05-16-2007, 10:12 PM
You'll hit the ball at someone with a quick temper to throw them off their game but if someone hits at you then you'll be thrown off your game because you'll be trying to hit the ball at them? Gotta love that kind of logic.

How do you interpret that I would be thrown off my game? It takes a lot more than that...

Everyone has different tolerances for "stuff". I simply meant that if I'm playing against someone I don't respect I will occasionally test those tolerances. It's PART of my game.

KFwinds
05-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I thought tennis was a gentlemen's game. Silly me.

lol - who told you that?

freelancer
05-17-2007, 07:10 AM

Good for you. I hate it when people do that. I would of felt bad that I broke his nose, but I would of gotten over it pretty quick. When you pull that kind of crap what do you expect to happen. He's the one that took the gamble.

Cindysphinx
05-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Had you not hit the guy on purpose, the tennis gods would have let you win.

Anything less than the very best sportsmanship always seems to come back to bite you in the behind, and you will lose.

NoBadMojo
05-17-2007, 08:22 AM
. I understand I should have been the better person and let it go after he slammed at my partner, however, was I in the wrong?

you've answered your own query

skiracer55
05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
...of why I refuse to have anything to do with NTRP...

tennis-n-sc
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I did not intentionally hit him in the nose. I do not have that kind of control. I am unsure if anyone can have that kind of control. To intentionally hit a ball at a moving target the size of a nose while hitting a moving target is not terribly realistic (even for Federer). Running at a person hitting a very short overhead in an effort to distract is bad sportsmanship. If you get hit in the face while acting in that manner, you deserve what you get. What was i suppose to do??? Watch where he was and try to hit it elsewhere. I was watching the ball and trying to win the point. He put his nose in the way.

If he had come over the net, a butt whipping would have resulted but my butt was probably safe. After all, he couldn't even see at that moment with the crimson stream flying from his nose.

Well, you obviously select who you slam one at, i.e. someone you know you can bully. What is wrong with running toward the net? That deserved a slam on a short ball at an opponents head? Hardly. No apology? Another reason why kids shouln't be on the court with adults. I'm glad to hear you've grown up. And never underestimate the pugilistic abilities of your opponents. Butt whippings come in many shapes, forms and ages. The ignorance of youth has caused many to suffer. :p

lostinamerica
05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, you obviously select who you slam one at, i.e. someone you know you can bully. What is wrong with running toward the net? That deserved a slam on a short ball at an opponents head? Hardly. No apology? Another reason why kids shouln't be on the court with adults. I'm glad to hear you've grown up. And never underestimate the pugilistic abilities of your opponents. Butt whippings come in many shapes, forms and ages. The ignorance of youth has caused many to suffer. :p

You are missing the point. I did not even hit it at him. He merely ran in the way of my put away in an effort to distract me. The truth is I was watching the ball much closer than I was watching my opponent. I was not aiming at his face but merely trying to finish a point. He runs from behind the service line directly at me hitting an overhead and gets clocked from about 4 feet away. I did nothing wrong. You certainly have no business lecturing me based on an opponent who could not match me point for point but opted to attempt gamesmanship by running directly at me in a feeble attempt to get in my head. He took the risk; he got clocked. If you think his actions are acceptable, by all means run at a net man who is putting away an overhead. If you get hit, jump the net and kick some butt.

As for who I hit the ball towards... I do not select based on physical stature but on calculating on whether it will help me achieve the result of winning the current point and the match. I do not fear what anyone will do to me as a result of a tennis point. If someone fears what others think based on a tennis match or even less (a single point), then they should take up a different sport.

Reading this stuff makes me realize how many people take a tennis match personal. It is merely a game and like all games we attempt to win. I do not make bad cals (regardless of how many are called on me); I do not display any unfair gamesmanship (i.e. calling footfaults, running in an effort to distract, or anything else); I merely find ways to break my opponent down to win the match. If hitting it towards an opponent because that person cannot hit a backhand volley, that is valid. It is not my job to hit to my opponents comfort zone. Should I quit hitting kick serves to players with poor backhands or wide slices to people who cannot stretch out? If you are long and rangy, often times you have trouble with the shot to the body... I guess I should only hit those to where they can clock the ball at me.

Tennis is as mental as physical and finding out how to beat your opponent is important. If hitting right at them is more effective than making them run shots down (whether rude or not), then I am still going to hit it at them.

Jracer77
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM

What's wrong with running toward the net when someone is setting up for a close range overhead? Are you kidding me? A person that pulls that bush league move is going to get hit sooner or later.....and deserves to.

rasajadad
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
If your opponent hit your partner in the back, that means your partner already "surrendered" and I'd consider that bad form. You hitting him while he's facing you is totally acceptable to me. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone hit my partner without a "payback" shot.

bleach
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I would never hit an overhead/smash at a player when I had an open court to hit into. First, I'm not trying to hurt anyone, second why give you opponent a chance to mak a return. That said... I never say I sorry for hitting a good shot, I never try to hit away from an opponent if it makes it a more risky shot.

IMO, if you get all upset about being hit, then you need to seriously rethink tennis as your sport!

tennis-n-sc
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
You are missing the point. I did not even hit it at him. He merely ran in the way of my put away in an effort to distract me. The truth is I was watching the ball much closer than I was watching my opponent. I was not aiming at his face but merely trying to finish a point. He runs from behind the service line directly at me hitting an overhead and gets clocked from about 4 feet away. I did nothing wrong. You certainly have no business lecturing me based on an opponent who could not match me point for point but opted to attempt gamesmanship by running directly at me in a feeble attempt to get in my head. He took the risk; he got clocked. If you think his actions are acceptable, by all means run at a net man who is putting away an overhead. If you get hit, jump the net and kick some butt.

As for who I hit the ball towards... I do not select based on physical stature but on calculating on whether it will help me achieve the result of winning the current point and the match. I do not fear what anyone will do to me as a result of a tennis point. If someone fears what others think based on a tennis match or even less (a single point), then they should take up a different sport.

Reading this stuff makes me realize how many people take a tennis match personal. It is merely a game and like all games we attempt to win. I do not make bad cals (regardless of how many are called on me); I do not display any unfair gamesmanship (i.e. calling footfaults, running in an effort to distract, or anything else); I merely find ways to break my opponent down to win the match. If hitting it towards an opponent because that person cannot hit a backhand volley, that is valid. It is not my job to hit to my opponents comfort zone. Should I quit hitting kick serves to players with poor backhands or wide slices to people who cannot stretch out? If you are long and rangy, often times you have trouble with the shot to the body... I guess I should only hit those to where they can clock the ball at me.

Tennis is as mental as physical and finding out how to beat your opponent is important. If hitting right at them is more effective than making them run shots down (whether rude or not), then I am still going to hit it at them.

You said you hit as hard as you could and you were four feet from your opponent. You felt no remorse. You hit people intentionally. Sounds like you had an opportunity to hit to an open court but elected to take the cheap shot and are proud of it. I've played in a lot matches and have never witnessed that attitude.

lostinamerica
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
You said you hit as hard as you could and you were four feet from your opponent. You felt no remorse. You hit people intentionally. Sounds like you had an opportunity to hit to an open court but elected to take the cheap shot and are proud of it. I've played in a lot matches and have never witnessed that attitude.

If you have never witnessed that attitude, then you have not played in a lot of matches.

Why I am dignifying a response towards you I am not even aware. While you think I should not try to finish a point but rather avoid a person trying that kind of garbage is certainly your opinion.

I do hit people. In doubles, I often go directly at the net man when his partner has a weak serve. I hit him once or twice and the rest of the match he is on his heels. While you may think it is bad sportsmanship, I think it is strategy.

With that, you play you way and I will play mine. May we both be successful.

Doc Hollidae
05-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I do hit people. In doubles, I often go directly at the net man when his partner has a weak serve. I hit him once or twice and the rest of the match he is on his heels. While you may think it is bad sportsmanship, I think it is strategy.

I do this too. In my senior year of HS a while back, our top 7 players were all seniors who were graduating so our coach broke up our usual doubles combos so the seniors could help the underclassmen. The first thing I told my partner was to slam a few shots at the net man as soon as the opportunity arises and aim for their chest to give you some margin of error if they avoid the ball. This tends to intimidate the netman to an extent and usually results in more conservative net play from that person.

Often just the attempt to slam a ball at an opponent can through him off mentally. If the guy resents you for hitting at him and wants revenge, more likely than not his game will change and usually results in balls going in your direction regardless of the amount of open court and being overhit. I'll gladly take whatever games they're willing to offer while they gain their composure and calm down.

kylebarendrick
05-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Running at someone to distract them while attempting an overhead could be considered a hindrance. If your opponent does something that makes you afraid to hit a "fair" shot for fear of injuring them, then that is a hindrance. At that point, either hitting them with the ball or stopping play and claiming the point due to the hindrance are likely to start an argument. One of these options doesn't actually hurt anybody.

With that said, I'd probably swing away as well. I played a match last year when on break point late in the 2nd set (essentially the match rested on this point), our opponents floated a ball near the net. As my partner set up to kill it, our opponent ran right up to the net in front of him. Hitting away from this guy was no longer an option and my partner wasn't watching him anyway. So he got hit. We appologized and no other words were said. My guess is that it was an intentional maneuver with the goal of making my partner get tentative or miss his shot.

Raiden.Kaminari
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM

I had someone do that once, but he was smart enough to duck beneath the net since my overhead was already in motion.

If someone was stupid enough to get in front of my overhead, they'd better expect to get hit. I do apologize for hitting someone despite their stupidity, because I usually try to avoid them. But sometimes, you can only swing at the ball. And all my opponents realize this to be true and accept the apology.

The tournament chairman was out of line for lecturing you, unless you didn't apologize for hitting the other player.

! ! ! ! ronakp10
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
One of the many reasons juniors shouldn't play adult league tennis.

No.... some juniors have common sense and courtesy to not intentionally aim for their opponents. Just as some adults who don't have common sense and aim for their opponents.

bleach
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM

I would have done the exact same thing. The guy desired to get hit. The tournament director (or whoever) ought to be ashamed of himself for lecturing you. If anything he should get onto the person you hit.

Think about it: A guy is running toward you in an effort to distract you, but expects you to hit a more difficult angle shot to avoid hitting him. I've said it before, if someone gets that upset about getting him, they need to find another sport.

Cindysphinx
05-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Boy, I have never seen someone run toward an overhead before.

I usually have a different version of that problem: 3.0s who see me going up for an overhead and just *stand* there. What are they thinking? So I just hit whatever shot I can hit and hope like heck they don't lose an eye.

Jracer77
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM

I usually have a different version of that problem: 3.0s who see me going up for an overhead and just *stand* there. What are they thinking? So I just hit whatever shot I can hit and hope like heck they don't lose an eye.

Well someone did it to me in a friendly doubles
match. Instead of trying to come up with some tough angle to miss him I just hit a moderate pace overhead safely toward the middle of the court. This occurred as he loudly stomped his feet (another favorite tactic of his) toward me and positioned himself right in front of me. Of course, the ball hit him and I apologized and said I was suprised that he would do that. He said no problem and that it was his fault and play continued.

J011yroger
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I just play to win, that is the only important thing, one ball at a time, one point at a time. All that matters is getting my name written in on the next blank of the draw sheet. If the other guy tries to hit me, that is his problem, I play the next point just like I played the point before.

J

MariaS
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
In my opinion he has no right "chewing out" any player in an adult league.

I'm not sure who I'd be angrier with: my opponent for slamming the ball at me/partner (can be caused by too much adrenalin) or my coach who balls me out for doing it back.

tennis-n-sc
05-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Everyone fires a ball at the net person or hits at an opponents feet. We've all been hit and sometimes under questionable circumstances. It is part of doubles. Intentionally trying to hurt someone is bush league. The same as a bean ball in baseball.

lostinamerica
05-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Everyone fires a ball at the net person or hits at an opponents feet. We've all been hit and sometimes under questionable circumstances. It is part of doubles. Intentionally trying to hurt someone is bush league. The same as a bean ball in baseball.

In my instance, I did not intentionally attempt to hurt anybody (contrary to what you think, I did not even attempt to hit it at him; admittedly, had I paid closer attention that he was sprinting at me, I certainly would have). He got hurt because he put himself in the way of danger. If he had run into the middle of an interstate in an effort to disorient a driver and a person hit him as he ran in the way, was there intent to injure or was the person just stupid?

BTW, a baseball is far more dangerous than a tennis ball.

MariaS
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I got one in the face and it hurt badly....:(

rasajadad
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM

I play with a guy who does this regularly. The first time I saw it, I offerred a warning. The second time he did it, he got hit. Oddly enough, there wasn't a third time.

wmrhawk
05-18-2007, 02:50 PM
i bet the dude with the broken nose has stopped employing that particular tactic.

MTXR
05-19-2007, 10:58 PM
When i am playing, i expect any kind of ball coming at me. I will even stand at the net and take a smash... I have been able to win points when people try and smash on me since i try and go for every ball and get my racquet on it.

You're up at the net, you should be prepared for anything... If not retreat back...

I don't get heated one bit when a ball comes at me or i get pegged. It just means that i wasn't able to get the ball back and i should be playing better or not setting them up like that.

I will also fire balls at people on purpose if they are weak volleying or weak in general at the net, but i don't do it all day long...

I always continue to fire balls at the person if they laugh at me if i make an error during the match. I never laugh at people when they make mistakes... When this usually happens, they get the picture and they stop laughing and don't go up to the net anymore. When they do go up to the net i still fire the ball at them...

I have nailed people multiple times during a match.

officerdibble
05-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Whilst clearly the nature of the game and how it's going has to be a factor (consciously or otherwise) this is a simple enough issue for me.

Let's face it, if you or your partner hits a lame shot and the ball is up there to be smashed, and you know that you're playing against people who can put that shot away you have a simple choice. Stay there in the hope of doing enough to luck the ball back, or maybe even distract them a fraction by making them consider if the want to hit you or not, or get the f**k out of the way by taking self-preserving defensive action!

I see nothing wrong with hitting the ball at someone. If a shot of mine is so lame that I end up getting hit, or my doubles partner does, that's my fault not my opponents!

Naturally, always apologise after hitting someone, and if it's a bad tempered match only smile after you turn around.

equinox
05-20-2007, 02:54 AM
When a player gets pegged they only have themself or there partner to blame.

Either they've standing to close to the net not in proper dlbs returning positions or there partner set them up. As they say don't blame the messenger. :D

Three Weeks ago, I copped a smash in the face when my mixed 3.0 partner put up a dodgey return lob and i tried back peddling from the service line and twisting away. Ball knocked my glasses off my nose and left a nice shiner. He said sorry and that's fair enough. That's what i get for playing against two 4.0 guys with a weaker partner.

I pegged a guy 5 times when his partner hit short balls and i was called the most dangerous player he's ever played and will kill someone one day.

That was a little unfair since i playing with an os rocket launcher and said sorry. I mean it wasn't like last season when i accidentally hit a guy on a poach and he nose bleed all over my nice court.

CrocodileRock
05-20-2007, 05:05 AM
some of you guys play full contact tennis. I don't try to hit the other guy because it may hit his racket instead and bounce off for a winner. I'd rather hit the open court for a winner myself.

BigJEFF
05-21-2007, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=CrocodileRock;1449275]I thought tennis was a gentlemen's game. Silly me. It is untill you play people that Cheat oops silly You...

lostinamerica
05-21-2007, 04:39 AM
some of you guys play full contact tennis. I don't try to hit the other guy because it may hit his racket instead and bounce off for a winner. I'd rather hit the open court for a winner myself.

In a double court, the amount of 'open court' is seriously diminished. If a person runs at you or stand directly in front of you only a few feet away, the percentage play is right through the person.

If given an option, I hit to the open court as well. Yet, there are times when the percentage play is directly through the person. In doubles, if you serve and the returner hits a floater, the percentage play is right at the net man (particularly at the feet) not back to the deep partner.

Jon Rudy
05-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Whether I'm playing with my college partner or with someone I just met, I feel a certain responsibility to be there for them during the course of a match. It's not about being a jerk and aiming for the opponent, it's about sticking up for the person on the same side as I am. I expect them to do the same for me.

I liken it to baseball. If a guy gets drilled at the plate by the opposing team's pitcher after having a good day, the other pitcher playing on the team of the guy that got hit will retaliate and drill someone on the other team. Hitting someone with a 95 mph hard baseball may not be the best way of sticking up for a teammate, but it's an unspoken rule; you do it, or you hear about it later, and you may lose the trust of a teammate, or tennis partner, in this case.

AAAA
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Eric89, you can't just assume they intentionally aimed at you even if one half of the court was empty.

Sometimes when I have an easy smash, in my eagerness to win the point with a smash winner I make a bee's line to the ball and use my momentum to add power to my smash. Clearly when I do this I will smash in the direction I moved in to get to the high ball. Now if the opponents are in the direction I moved in then yes the smash will appear like it was intentionally aimed at them even though it wasn't.

sciwriter
05-22-2007, 04:33 AM
You must expect to be hit in a doubles match. No way around it. And you have to expect to hit someone. Apologizing is nice but not necessary. I can't imagine being hurt by a tennis ball unless it hits me in the eye.

officerdibble
05-22-2007, 05:56 AM
On the subject of hitting people in doubles...

I have a reasonably big serve, and occasionally I find that an opponent will stand right on the edge of the service box in an attempt to have me serve out wide to his partner, or just generally put me off. I confess that I do sometimes serve straight at this person and claim the free point. I consider this totally fair.

Raiden.Kaminari
05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
On the subject of hitting people in doubles...

I have a reasonably big serve, and occasionally I find that an opponent will stand right on the edge of the service box in an attempt to have me serve out wide to his partner, or just generally put me off. I confess that I do sometimes serve straight at this person and claim the free point. I consider this totally fair.

It is fair play. The other person is responsible for his or her own body. If they want to put themselves in danger, that's their problem.

I actually don't face the court when I'm serving, so I can ignore if they're stupid enough to be standing in the path of my serve.

When I'm hitting overheads, I focus on the contact, with an image of where I want to hit the ball in my brain. If someone decides to stand in the path as an effort to get the ball back, that's their decision and their problem.

andymac1
05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Sry for the double post.

andymac1
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
To be honest, I've hit my opponents when they're at the net with my forehand a few times on purpose just to get them on edge the next time they come to the net. I know it's a bit unsportsmanlike but I fight dirty when I get the chance to mess with my opponents head.

drakulie
05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I've done it a few times and hit the intended target. Especially when they pull a "Nadal" on my service games. I will give them a warning/reminder they have to play at my pace when I am serving. If they continue the buttpicking, taking their time, etc.>>> as soon as I get the opportunity I nail them.

tenniskid3119
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM
every chance I get :)

lilxjohnyy
05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
haha nice response drakulie .... i done so a couple times but not on purpose

Bodacious DVT
05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
i play doubles. its excellent strategy. lowers their reaction time and its an awkward shot to get a racket on.

In D Zone
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, if you play doubles or took doubles classes. You are trained to volley or drive the ball at your opponents feet (in essence, that's hitting the opponent on purpose).
HEHE!

drakulie
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
haha nice response drakulie .... i done so a couple times but not on purpose

LMAO! Yeah, I'm extremely finnicky on my service games. I get into a rythm and don't want it ****ered with. If they start delaying on purpose they will absolutely get creamed if I get the chance. I usually do to because I serve and volley a lot, in addition to hitting short slices every once in a while and following my own slice to the net. This is where I usually get them. LOL

zapvor
05-25-2007, 05:29 PM
To be honest, I've hit my opponents when they're at the net with my forehand a few times on purpose just to get them on edge the next time they come to the net. I know it's a bit unsportsmanlike but I fight dirty when I get the chance to mess with my opponents head.

uh......thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Zets147
05-25-2007, 05:39 PM
yes, especially in doubles

Mick
05-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I would never do that on purpose .

tennis_eel
05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah. The kid was a dick.

beernutz
05-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Your poll presumes that hitting someone on purpose, which is really the same as aiming at an opponent, is a dirty tactic. I don't agree. If a right-handed opponent is crowding the net I will definitely aim for their right hip. If they can't get out of the way or get a racquet on the ball--well that is just tennis, IMO. People have aimed a shot right at me before and I don't take it personally. If someone can put the ball away without hiting the opponent, that to me is a different story, but just aiming at at opponent in and of itself I don't consider to be 'dirty' tennis.

andymac1
05-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Your poll presumes that hitting someone on purpose, which is really the same as aiming at an opponent, is a dirty tactic. I don't agree. If a right-handed opponent is crowding the net I will definitely aim for their right hip. If they can't get out of the way or get a racquet on the ball--well that is just tennis, IMO. People have aimed a shot right at me before and I don't take it personally. If someone can put the ball away without hiting the opponent, that to me is a different story, but just aiming at at opponent in and of itself I don't consider to be 'dirty' tennis.

Well when I do hit them the first thing that comes to my mind is, "Yay! My point because I pegged the other person!"

str33t
05-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes, but only because I was messing around with my friend.
We were volleying and he pegged me in the stomach.
So i got him back. ;)

lordmanji
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
i hit my brother with a volley but i dunno i wasnt aiming at him, just towards him. it even bounced before it hit him. it was early and i think he was still asleep. o well :)

jasoncho92
05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I did it against my friends a few times when we were playing the service box mini game lol. I smashed it at him as hard as i could and yeah lol

smoothtennis
05-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I most definately aim hard right at a person on certain shots, but I always fully expect them to have the ability to get a racket on the ball, just not very well. If they get hit, it is because they weren't ready, but no ill intention on my part.

When people aim right at me hard, if I get hit, I just ***** to myself that I should have had my racket out front and been ready. Too bad. I hope they can hit me if I drop that racket head down.

zapvor
05-25-2007, 07:41 PM

i think there is a distinction ot be made here. the OP was referring to hitting the guy intentionally to get him 'on edge' next time, whereas you are talking more about hitting at him to force an error. the first is intentional hitting (which can be anywhere) and the second is you trying to force an error(such as serving into teh body). so his way is unacceptable.

tennis_hand
05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
when I have no choice against someone who is volleying. I'll hit hard at him to test his reaction. either he let it go and it will land in, or he will volley it out.

Dink
05-25-2007, 09:34 PM

When I'm at the baseline, I'll occasionally try to jam the net player instead of immediatedly going for a passing shot or lob. I don't think it's a dirty tactic and don't take it personally if an opponent does it to me.

When I get an easy sitter, on the other hand, I never aim for the net person.

Setmatch45
05-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I have drilled many people. I hit them at net and I have a huge lefty serve and love when I hit a good serve and with the spin it hits them. I love hitting them!

Hot Sauce
05-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Depends how serious the match is. If I'm playing against a friend I generally wouldn't do it, but when I'm playing league matches I have no problem what so ever hitting the opponent.

dave333
05-26-2007, 06:01 AM
some idiot netman was dancing around to poach so on the next 2nd serve i just jammed it at him. Later in retaliation of him volleying into my partner, I overheaded him.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-26-2007, 06:16 AM
I have done it unintentionally, but to be honest I don't like hitting opponents because I don't want to get hit and I tend to take it very personally.

Bagumbawalla
05-26-2007, 06:32 AM
If someone was a real jerk, I might consider hitting at them, but so far I have played against mostly pretty decent opponents.

I try to avoid hitting them, but sometimes accidents happen.

I was playing a friendly game against a team that included one of my practice partners. I got a short lob for an easy overhead, but he was right in my way. I tried to angle the ball a bit, but he turned, again, into my path. I hit the ball fairly hard, and it just dissappeared- no bounce, nothing. Turns out it went right into the pocket of his warm-up jacket.

iplaybetter
05-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Like my coach says "as long as you apoligise after you do it"

Ethan04
05-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Don't do anything to others when you don't like others to do to you.

Equal opponent, perhaps, in the heat of battle. If just friendly match, no.
Definitely not too kids and women. However, there've been some hot shot kids and woment tried to hit me.

Ethan04
05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
If I see Federer does it, then I would.

richw76
05-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't see a problem with it. I'm slow and still out of shape, so if I allow a guy to come to net and control points I'm in big trouble. So first few times a guy tries to come to net I'll either try to jam him up, or hit a top spin lob to the backhand side. Usually, it'll either force the guy to hesitate at net, and make more errors or eventually they camp on the baseline which is very comfortable for me. So it's just another strategy, no better, no worse and defienitely not unsportsmanlike.

I have mondays off work and I play with some retired guys sometimes and I never try to jam them up ;-)

ps60
05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
i did it to a woman who know no volley skill and stand (brainlessly) as close to the net as possible. i just blocked a serve (by an old man)as half volley over the net and her belly took it. It was so slow but she's not moving at all. That's a gentle warning shot i consider, just to tell her u 're in the wrong place.

Another way of firing a warning shot (to stupid net standers) is hitting as hard as possible at him but very very low. 100% of time, they hit the net cord. But u should see how they look :D, pants may 've wet a bit. Funny thing is sometimes they don't back off. just stand the same position and run just b4 i hit (not at him this time).

In Toronto holiday, i played 2 Korean kids, a power server and a net poacher. I used a Wilson Hammer (sickedly light) of my friend there. I returned the serve and the net kid poached it. The next time i hit right at him, almost from the baseline (because the serve was powerful). He's shocked and ducked (at least he's ready), Looking back hope the ball was out. But with the topspin and control, it was well in. I loved the ease of playing tennis using those big head Hammers. But my elbow say No.

Last week i played a stranger with a PD, in double. He blasted the ball at my head when my partner served softly. The ball would 've ended up at the fence. I just managed to block it with 2 handed holding the racket right in front of my face. Another time when i served a 2nd, he hit it to my partner's head level, just missed and end in the back fence. and that's sth i hate.

I don't like playing with those fxxking S, who's aim is to injure someone, rather than playing the game. If it were for millions, u need to take some risk. If it 's for recreation, it 's pointless to hit a ball, that would be surely out by 50 feet, at someone's head.

So, PD is good, at least u can hit someone's head ! :grin:

J.W. North Tennis91
05-26-2007, 10:08 AM
ive actually got pegged once i think in a real game and it hit me right on the head and it hurt like a %#%@^. i would never hurt someone on purpose but yesterday i did a hard overhead and i didnt see the guy and it hit him right on the knee. i felt bad for him.

Undrayon
05-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I believe it depends on your level of skill compared to your opponents. I've always been a singles player but I recently started doing this everyday camp that lasts for 2 months. (15 hours of tennis a week ^_^ ) and luckily my doubles partner for next year also attends, so we're playing doubles every other day.

Our coach teaches us to volley at our opponents feet whether we're smashing it down, volleying with both of us near the service line, or volleying it to our opponent at the baseline.

I also believe that you need to make use of your weapons though, so if I playing a team with great volleying ability then I'd use my best weapon....I'd nail my forehand right at his chest. Would it be my first choice? No, but I'd rather hit him and win. If you're alot better than your opponents though, you should be able to hit around.

chrisak47
05-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I do this all the time in doubles and occasionally in singles. Basically, in singles, if they are at net and there is really no passing room... ie. Short volley that bounces in my zone, I will go straight at them. I personally think its a higher percentage play instead of going for one of the side lines.

As for doubles...I love when a pusher dinks a serve for me. I kill his doubles partner. :) It leads to the partnership being torn apart.

AngeloDS
05-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I've always said this and always will say this. Tennis equipment was not made to hurt people, if your intention is to hurt people. Go take up some form of martial arts.

If you're that crappy of a shot-maker to not be able to lob or hit the passing shot. Then you're a weak player -- simple as that. If it's working very well, then you're just picking on the weak.

Once you play higher levels of tennis, people will crush those balls and such kiddy/juvenile tactics don't work too well.

andymac1
05-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I've always said this and always will say this. Tennis equipment was not made to hurt people, if your intention is to hurt people. Go take up some form of martial arts.

If you're that crappy of a shot-maker to not be able to lob or hit the passing shot. Then you're a weak player -- simple as that. If it's working very well, then you're just picking on the weak.

Once you play higher levels of tennis, people will crush those balls and such kiddy/juvenile tactics don't work too well.

The intention is not to hurt them, but to get the point in the process of trying to aim at them in the hopes that they won't be able to react and either miss hit the ball or get hit by it. If they get hit then it's your point, it's simply exploiting the rules.

AngeloDS
05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
If you want to exploit the rules, call every ball out =). If that is your intention, so be it. However, you are a very weak player in the end with no skill or talent.

The most praised shots in tennis are the passing shots.

Dink
05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9291/lendaj1.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/518/painyi8.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4392/mcenroeim9.jpg
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6799/mc1sp6.jpg

Dink
05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9930/shap5hi9.jpg
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9342/shar1qo0.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/552/shar2oq3.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8805/serenatf2.jpg

Dink
05-26-2007, 04:15 PM
http://kevinmcmillan.net/images/brushback.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5884/samhitgy8.jpg
http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/images/RYANPHS016003-L.jpg

Freedom
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't try to hit my opponents. I will aim at them, but not for the purpose of hurting them. I've seen too many doubles matches get out of hand because of headhunting like that- mistakes happen, but overheads to the face shouldn't.

[K]aotic
05-26-2007, 04:33 PM
i hit it right at the person when the person is a road runner ... there's no intent to hit them but it hits them a lot

Jyles
05-26-2007, 09:00 PM
i have lol, nothing wrong with aiming at your opponent, if thats the only way you see yourself making a point etc, go for it, but to do it to conflict harm on them is another story.

lethalfang
05-27-2007, 01:46 AM
I will aim at the net person if I'm behind the baseline and the net man is in a good volleying position. You realize you have to hit a perfect passing shot to pass them, i.e. low percentage shot. I will rip a shot toward his body and hope for a pop-up reply. It's either that or a dipper. Actually I hit dippers more in these situations. In any case, he clumpier players will occasionally get hit, but most players can at least put a racquet on it, because I'm firing from a distance.
I don't aim at the net man when I'm closer to the net, i.e. short ball, as the angles to passing shots open up in such situations.

tennis-n-sc
05-27-2007, 05:04 AM
The op stated "intentionaly hit an opponent". In doubles, hitting at an opponent occasionally is part to the game. I have hit thousands of volleys and never moved a step so obviously, someone hit the ball in my direction. However, an attempt to intentionally hit an opponent without any regard to injury is not part of the game. It is immature, bush league, amateur, beginner tennis played by those with little respect for the game of tennis. IMO, Angelo and Freedom have explained this perfectly with regard to the game.

richw76
05-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I suppose it's possible but has ANYONE ever seen someone get injured from a tennis ball. It stings for maybe a half second but that's about it.

I don't recommend this, and my dad probably scarred me a little mentally :-) but when I was a kid learning to volley I would get scarred when the ball was coming right at me. So, one day I was practicing volleys, one was coming rigth a my chest, and I kinda ducked and stuck the racket up. Instead of doing a cross step and getting my racket infront like he had drilled me on a hundred times....
anyway he made me stand there and from about 10 feet away nailed me in the side with a ball. He asked me if it was really that bad..... I said no, it really wasn't. Stung for a second and then I was just mad, but it didn't hurt, anyway that cured me. I wasn't afraid of getting hit and it was all about trying to get into the best position to volley well.

tennis-n-sc
05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I suppose it's possible but has ANYONE ever seen someone get injured from a tennis ball. It stings for maybe a half second but that's about it.

I don't recommend this, and my dad probably scarred me a little mentally :-) but when I was a kid learning to volley I would get scarred when the ball was coming right at me. So, one day I was practicing volleys, one was coming rigth a my chest, and I kinda ducked and stuck the racket up. Instead of doing a cross step and getting my racket infront like he had drilled me on a hundred times....
anyway he made me stand there and from about 10 feet away nailed me in the side with a ball. He asked me if it was really that bad..... I said no, it really wasn't. Stung for a second and then I was just mad, but it didn't hurt, anyway that cured me. I wasn't afraid of getting hit and it was all about trying to get into the best position to volley well.

I don't know so much about your father's techniques. A coach would have been fired for doing that, maybe jailed. But, anyway, I've seen some pretty nasty injuries on the court so, while rare, they do happen. And I'd say 99% are accidential. But apparently there are a few that hit at opponents with unsportsmanlike intent, somehow believing that injuries are part of the game.

TENNIS_99
05-27-2007, 04:11 PM
just saw on the court an old guy drillls his son-in-law right in the rib cage who pairs with his daughter in a double, no apologies,no gesture, just turn around and walk away with no expression. guess just something has to come out.:D

Dink
05-27-2007, 06:22 PM
just saw on the court an old guy drillls his son-in-law right in the rib cage who pairs with his daughter in a double, no apologies,no gesture, just turn around and walk away with no expression. guess just something has to come out.:D

:smile: :smile: :smile:

StealthGnome
05-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah. The kid was a dick.

Only when they needed a little "punishment".

Cruzer
05-27-2007, 09:51 PM
The op stated "intentionaly hit an opponent". In doubles, hitting at an opponent occasionally is part to the game. I have hit thousands of volleys and never moved a step so obviously, someone hit the ball in my direction. However, an attempt to intentionally hit an opponent without any regard to injury is not part of the game. It is immature, bush league, amateur, beginner tennis played by those with little respect for the game of tennis. IMO, Angelo and Freedom have explained this perfectly with regard to the game.

This comment sounds a little sanctimonious. If someone dilberately tries to hit me or my partner in a match I will not feel bad about hitting the an opponent if given an opportunity. 90+% of the posters on this board don't hit the ball hard enough to injure an opponent anyway. If you don't want to risk getting hit by a tennis ball then don't play competitive tennis.

tennis-n-sc
05-28-2007, 03:51 AM
This comment sounds a little sanctimonious. If someone dilberately tries to hit me or my partner in a match I will not feel bad about hitting the an opponent if given an opportunity. 90+% of the posters on this board don't hit the ball hard enough to injure an opponent anyway. If you don't want to risk getting hit by a tennis ball then don't play competitive tennis.

Since I'm sure I'm a lot older than you, I can safely say that I have been hit far more than you and probably hit more opponents thant you. There is a difference between hitting hard volleys at an opponents feet or even accidently hitting someone with a stray overhead or short forehand than intentionally going headhunting without any regard for possible injury. It seems to me this attitude is something new to the club and league mindset and I happen to believe it is not part of tennis. Just my opinion, which I do believe I'm still entitled to express.

And if 90+% of the people on this board can't hit a ball hard enough to hurt anyone, how do you define competitive tennis? I believe 90+% of the people on this board will tell you they play competitive tennis and hit the ball only a little slower than the pros.;) And you aren't the first to call my game non-competitive, but it's the best I got.

dave333
05-28-2007, 04:30 AM

a decent overhead that hasn't bounced should havesome good sting.

of course, any shots aimed at the the "danger zone" (mad tv nyone?) is gonna hurt like hell...

topspin_17
05-28-2007, 05:52 AM
only if the person was younger than me, and was ******* me off so bad that i would walk off of the court...

penpal
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Back in my 3.0 days, when I had just taken up the sport, I believed it to be perfectly acceptable to hit at an opponent. Then I saw something that completely changed my opinion.

I was watching a mixed doubles tournament match -- 3.0 level. A ball landed short and the male player came running up to hit it. The ball bounced a little higher than he expected and he ended up hitting one of those lunging forward, hit-the-ball-out-in-front-of-you, sort of overheads that only a 3.0 player can hit :p -- essentially, he ended up slapping at the ball and as a result was unable to hit down on it, causing it to swiftly sail at head height directly towards the back tarp.

The woman on the other side was also a 3.0 player, though a very good one (she is now 4.0). She was standing at about the service line and was slow to react. When the opposing male player hit the ball she realized she was in deep trouble, as she was directly in its flight path, and at that point she turned to avoid a direct hit. Regrettably, she wasn't quick enough ... she was only able to make a quarter turn when the ball slammed directly into her ear.

Long story short, the force of the impact shattered her ear drum. She lost her hearing in that ear for about a month ... according to the doctor, there was a possibility she might have never regained her hearing.

This was a complete accident, but proved to me that it is indeed possible for nearly anyone to hit the ball hard enough to cause significant injury (prior to seeing this, I was in the camp that thought 'it's a tennis ball, how bad can it hurt?'). I have never since intentionally hit at another player, and have even backed off of shots if I didn't have full control with regard to placement.

Toph
05-29-2007, 02:25 PM
the only time i have ever hit someone on purpose, was when i was serving in doubles, and the partner of the receiver decided to stand right up at the net in the middle of the court.(if someone remembers what strategy this is called tell me) needless to say, but he didn't stand there any more...hehe :)

Seifersquall1
10-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I would if they come to the net a lot lol.

shojun25
10-14-2007, 08:28 AM
yes...

In PE, we had to play tennis. I played with a snobbish ball-hog who always went up at net and in the middle of the court. I hit him twice - one in the back and one in his shoulder. I think he got the point after the first hit ;)

Rickson
10-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Ever hit your opponent on purpose?

Hell yeah! Luckily for that clown, he covered his face with his racquet, but he still lost the point when the ball went flying off his stick and to the next court. I successfully did this twice in the same game because his partner hit 2 weak 2nd serves that I cranked up right at the clown. The only reason I went after him and not into the open court was because he laughed at me like crazy when his partner hit me in the nuts due to my partner hitting a fluff shot that wound up being a sitter for his partner. My partner was a truly bad doubles player because when he tried the same play I did on the laughing hyena, his weakest of weak shots got vollied by sir laugh a lot. Two lessons learned: smack the ball at those who laugh at you when you get hurt and stay away from the net when you have a fluffy hitting partner.

RoddickAce
10-14-2007, 08:47 AM
No actually, I was about to smash a ball, I jumped up, pulled my racquet back...and....the guy came to net -_______-...I quicky switched to a backhand shot so that the chances of hitting him would be slim, but as a result of that, I lost the point, the "break point" and the match.

Am I really stupid?(rhetorical question, I know the answer)

Seifersquall1
10-14-2007, 09:13 AM
he covered his face with his racquet, but he still lost the point
That part happened to the guy I played lol. When I was serving, he was close to the service line and I did a kick serve. He put his racquet in front of his face and it (the racquet) hit him XD

brownyazn
10-15-2007, 08:21 AM
i sometimes do
it's a very good feeling
:]

TheFonz
10-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I have quite a few times. If the oppenant is a jerk. I'm always overly nice to them, but bring them in to the net and after one or sometimes two shots to the abs they usually straighten up and act right the rest of the match.....

smoothtennis
10-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes.

However, I expect them to have their racket up, and put it on the ball. If they don't---- then they get hit, simple as that. I don't go after them with the intent to HIT THEIR BODY. I just want to hit right at them sometimes. I do aim for feet and hips however in doubles, just because it is the right play sometimes.

So I would estimate out of 10 shots at a person, maybe two will actually hit them. And it is almost always because their racket was down.

ZPTennis
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
In doubles, the net man kept crowding the "T" on the service box to try to make me mess up.

Instead of hitting my usual kick serve, I went right for him and hit a flat bomb and nailed him right in the stomach and gladly took the free point.

He stopped crowding the box after that. :D

JKN666
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
at a recent tourny there was this really angry guy that was making me angry so i smashed a ball right into his gut.

JKN666:twisted:

AceofBase
10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah when there's a jerk who think he better than anyone and also there's this one guy i beat 6-0 and he didnt even realize that he lost at the end (i guess i must of hit him hard in the gut acouple of time and had him lost his memory) and then i was stuck with him playing double and he talk alot to the other side (which was sad for me...@!) LOL!

ThePro101
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
yes :twisted: :twisted:

raiden031
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I have aimed for opponents on purpose in the past always because they do something to annoy me, but in retrospect I think it was bad sportsmanship on my part. I will no longer try to hit an opponent, but I will purposely hit it in their direction if I think they won't be able to get the ball back. I've hit people by doing this, but that isn't the intention.

Eph
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I have aimed for opponents on purpose in the past always because they do something to annoy me, but in retrospect I think it was bad sportsmanship on my part. I will no longer try to hit an opponent, but I will purposely hit it in their direction if I think they won't be able to get the ball back. I've hit people by doing this, but that isn't the intention.
+1 Excellent post.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I got really tired of one of my opponents antics, it was during a doubles match, and he would place himself pretty close to the service square "T" while his teammate recieved my serves. I finally got tired of his bragging and raving, and constant dissingon on our every error, so I just served it straight into his chest! It really shook him up, he didn't forget it, he discontinued his cocky boistering, and ended up losing his concentration and the game. IT FELT AWESOME!!!

drgnpride
10-17-2007, 09:09 AM
anyone who hits someone intentionally is a jerk. nothing wrong with hitting at the person but if you try to hit them to 'get them back' you have maturity issues.

BlahDow
10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
ya i have..well..i don't want them to get hurt or anything..i just want them to have an awkward shot that they can't return

LuckyR
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Boy, guys were I play must be superhumanly quick and agile or maybe folks are exaggerating their exploits, but I personally have no trouble getting my racquet on overheads from the other netman that come my way (let alone volleys or groundstrokes). I occasionally get hit with a ball, like maybe a handful of times a year, it always is a glancing blow that is so meaningless I never would even dream of changing my rate of netrushing or how close I choose to stand to the T.

I guess against a rank beginner with no anticipation skills or someone with poor eyesight, maybe...

doggieboy
10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Sry for the double post.

I did aim at someone once and almost took their head off. I was playing doubles and one of the players was obviously better than his partner and a bit of a jerk. It was a fairly tight match late in the first set and they threw up a lob that was a bit short. Well, Mr. Jerk decides that he is going to rush the net to intimidate/show off/take away some of the court (who knows). I hit the overhead at him as hard as I possibly could and it missed his head by a whisker (landed good). He looked daggers at me, but didn't say a thing. He went into the crapper at that point and we walked away with the match. Funny thing was, his partner really raised his game at that point, but he was useless.

Tennis79
10-19-2007, 12:51 PM
yeah, in doubles. it's a part of the game. if someone says it's bad sportsmanship then they don't know how to play the game.

ive taken a few hits at net too. If i can't handle the shot then all the credit to my opponent.

in singles its a bit tricky. I try not to but sometimes you aren't in the best positions and only have one shot to hit and sometimes that shot is right at your opponent.

Tennis79
10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
yeah, in doubles. it's a part of the game. if someone says it's bad sportsmanship then they don't know how to play the game.

ive taken a few hits at net too. If i can't handle the shot then all the credit to my opponent.

in singles its a bit tricky. I try not to but sometimes you aren't in the best positions and only have one shot to hit and sometimes that shot is right at your opponent.

p.s.
i think it's bad to hit someone if they are being a jerk. That just makes you just as bad as them. plus it just means that they are getting into your head. that can cause you to loose the match.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with hitting an *****hole, it's fair game and a valid way to win a point. If you've got a problem with it then take up golfing.

Diabolu
10-22-2007, 02:41 AM
One guy I played in doubles used to stand on the service t when his partner was receiving. It used to put me off and I'd rarely go down the middle until I got cross and smashed one straight down the t and it hit his ankle.

He doesn't stand there anymore

... so people do learn :)

Diabolu
10-22-2007, 02:42 AM

Ivan Lendll anyone?