PDA

View Full Version : Rosignol Question

jorel
02-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Why do we find soo many F200s on the bay and we hardly see any of the other F series models./ did they manufacturer a lot more F200s than any other model?

mdqm
02-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Why do we find soo many F200s on the bay and we hardly see any of the other F series models./ did they manufacturer a lot more F200s than any other model?

the f200 was the best seller of rossignol (has some grand slams)also i have a couple differents models,f230 and 990.

plasma
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I just think that the shape worked better with the chunky flexmonster F 200. When the blue f 250 came out they tried to streamline and stiffen up the layup...when they finally sold out and started making round racquets without the inverted throat bridge, Abel Rossignol turned over in his grave....it rained for several months in France that week, "qu'elle domage"

galain
02-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I think Plasma may have something about the shape. The original f series - the 100, 200 and 300 (and you could even include the 150 if you really wanted to here), all featured that little bit extra down at the bottom of the shaft, before the frame expanded into the throat area.

i remember Andrew D saying once that he thought this affected the playability (for the better) and that later models just didn't feel as good.

As for number - you can still find a fair few 300's around but the 100 is very rare. The 290 series was also popular and picking up a 280, 290, or 295 is still relatively easy as well.

But the f200 was the flagship and was the most heavily promoted of their earlier frames. I guess they put more of these out to coincide with their relationship with Mats. Strange though, he also used the FT6.60 for a little while later in his career and you don't find so many of them.

plasma
02-07-2009, 02:07 AM
the ridiculous look of the f150 reminds me of how experimental that entire line was. 9/10 people reading this have never seen it (F150)...totally different than the f200... Imagine the most absurdly ugly shaped tennis racquet ever, one that looked like it was designed by an abstract expressionist and would provide horrible playability. If anyone has one of these ugly monsters I'd love to adopt it...if someone has pics of the ugliest racquet ever, the f 150, please post them...

galain
02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
You know - I own something in the order of 32 Rossignol frames - and even i haven't yet convinced myself that I need to have that particular model. I've passed up 4 options to buy and seem to keep finding other uses for the cash at those times!

FloridaAG
02-07-2009, 04:44 AM
I loved my Rossi - played with it for years

plasma
02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
AG Show us pics pls, was it the F200?, that's a G.O.A.T.!

FloridaAG
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Nope - i had the F280. Played with it in 11th and 12th grades and through college. I still have the frame - although I cracked it (during play not in anger) about 15 years ago but won't part with it. I will try to post a picture of it later.

vsbabolat
02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
the ridiculous look of the f150 reminds me of how experimental that entire line was. 9/10 people reading this have never seen it (F150)...totally different than the f200... Imagine the most absurdly ugly shaped tennis racquet ever, one that looked like it was designed by an abstract expressionist and would provide horrible playability. If anyone has one of these ugly monsters I'd love to adopt it...if someone has pics of the ugliest racquet ever, the f 150, please post them...

Here is some photos of the Rossignol F150. Again unfortunately it is not mine. I got the photos off the bay a while ago.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/RossignolF150New31.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/RossignolF150New34.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/RossignolF150New33.jpg

The F100 on the other hand was a perfectly normal Rossignol. The F100 was just a smaller version of the F200.

plasma
02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I've never seen an F100, now I wan't one to hit with, what is the headsize on the 100? thanks for the amazing 150 pics. I love ugly ducklings like the Wilson Legacy and Rozzy F 150...

galain
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
The f100 is a 'standard' size frame - 75" I think. Exactly the same shape as the 200, just smaller. It's still flexible but hits a little stiffer than the 200.

vsbabolat
02-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I used the F100 for a short time. Unfortunately I sold them. Here is a photo I got off of the bay again of the F100.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Rossignol_F100.jpg

Colpo
02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
The F200 was Rossi's mainstay for a couple of reasons. First, it was one of the earliest graphite/synthetic frames out there, circa 1981, and Rossi promoted it like its flagship. Second, Wilander came on the scene in '82 while using this frame. (Several other Rossi pros also played this frame at different intervals, like Nystrom and even Kriek.

galain
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey Sandro - nice to see you again. I never knew that about Kriek, but then again, I never saw him play all that often. I always thought he moved from his signature frame straight to the f250.

The f200 was first released toward the end of 1979.

Colpo
02-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Hey Sandro - nice to see you again. I never knew that about Kriek, but then again, I never saw him play all that often. I always thought he moved from his signature frame straight to the f250.

The f200 was first released toward the end of 1979.

Thanks, galain, good to chat here with you as well.

plasma
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
VS what are the headsizes of the F100's pls? how much smaller than the F200??? anyone who has one please contact me...I'd love to adopt one

vsbabolat
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
^^^
The F100 is standard 65-70 head size.

plasma
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
no, it's gotta be like 77ish, otherwise it would look like a wood, is it the size of the ultra 1? doesn't look that small, never seen one, so psyched to know they exist...is it really a true standard???

galain
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
yes - it's a true standard. I have one in the cellar - I'll lay it on top of my f200 for you in the next week or so.

Il Mostro
02-11-2009, 01:00 AM

I own a 9-9.5/10 F150. Yes, it is a different look. But it plays fine in my hands. Bruto ma bene! No, you cannot have it. :-)

taschendieb
02-24-2009, 01:27 AM
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/desagradecido/002.jpg

plasma
02-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Galain, please reach me thru my profile, any chance you'd part with that f100?

khw72004
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
The F150 looks awesome!

plasma
03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
your joking right? that f150 is a flyswatter prop from the new Jennifer Siebel movie....pretty nasty if you ask me.

customaus
04-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey VSBabolat I own the F100 pictured not a bad bat to look at and even better to play with. The F150 in my opinion is ugly but unique.

adidasman
04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Man, you just have to love the old Rossignols - unlike most of what's out there now, there were so many really unusual racquets back then. Everyone was experimenting, trying to make graphite frames that would appeal to old wood users and seeing what people would latch onto. Now, it's just the same stuff - admittedly, the racquets are better now, but they're not nearly as intriguing. I think the F150 looks beautiful.

plasma
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know if they're better...stan smith's mono shafts, lendl's kneissls, the T'ai Chi master McEnroe with his flexy 200g, Becker with his Puma, Mats with his F200 (any of those guys would waste the current top pros!). I grew up around tournaments, we had speedguns back then too. We had 140+ mph serves back then too. I think that racquets and clothes and players were better 20 years ago....I was a tiny falaffel with a pet frog and a bowl haircut (thanks Mom...????)that covered my eyes, staring wide eyed on the other side of the practice court fence...wide eyed falaffel boy would sneak into the practices, top matches, and qualifiers. As a young child I would just float around guys like Wilander and Gomez, that was before the age of celebrity....guys like that would just stand around, you could talk to them, mostly they were left alone though...no one would hawk them!!!!
on the first day of the annual tournament I would spend over an hour reading off every letter to the groundskeeper who would fill in the board on the 128 player draw. prepubescent plasma always wondered who "Bye" was and why this guy made me read every letter to him (as payment to a tournament that took place in a club notoriously free of asians, jews and blacks)....I now realize that this nice groundskeeper man who let little fallafel sneak by and roll with guys like Krickstein and Todd Martin all day....was illiterate....and could not read...
(true story!)

either a ps 7.0 85 or my trusted estusa power beam (the one with pws thingies) (whatever tension and cheap string it came with)just playing for fun these days...

schu47
04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I love Rossis, too. These are my F series models, although, sadly, the little F-100 has been snatched away by plasma since the photo was taken. His cousins miss the little guy.

I just think these inverted bridge models are beautiful and graceful. My favorite among these is the F-280, the blue one. For some reason, it just plays so well. I like it better than the F-200. Not sure how the F-280 even fits in -- seems like the F-285 and F-295 were more common, but it's a really nice racquet, IMO.

And Plas, with your affinity for ugly ducklings, you ought to love the F-150.

I also recently picked up an inverted bridge model called the FS 06, which looks just like the F-series racquets but is a carbon-fiberglass mix. Any of you Rossi experts know anything about that series? When they came out in relation to the Fs, if there were a number of models, how successful they were?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SbDCB9-BZAI/AAAAAAAARTM/ejVeqrqmywI/s800/P2129227.JPG

vsbabolat
04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
^^^^
The F300 is my all time favorite oversize racquet. So flexible and smooth playing with great stability.

adidasman
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't know if they're better...stan smith's mono shafts, lendl's kneissls, the T'ai Chi master McEnroe with his flexy 200g, Becker with his Puma, Mats with his F200 (any of those guys would waste the current top pros!). I grew up around tournaments, we had speedguns back then too. We had 140+ mph serves back then too. I think that racquets and clothes and players were better 20 years ago....I was a tiny falaffel with a pet frog and a bowl haircut (thanks Mom...????)that covered my eyes, staring wide eyed on the other side of the practice court fence...wide eyed falaffel boy would sneak into the practices, top matches, and qualifiers. As a young child I would just float around guys like Wilander and Gomez, that was before the age of celebrity....guys like that would just stand around, you could talk to them, mostly they were left alone though...no one would hawk them!!!!
on the first day of the annual tournament I would spend over an hour reading off every letter to the groundskeeper who would fill in the board on the 128 player draw. prepubescent plasma always wondered who "Bye" was and why this guy made me read every letter to him (as payment to a tournament that took place in a club notoriously free of asians, jews and blacks)....I now realize that this nice groundskeeper man who let little fallafel sneak by and roll with guys like Krickstein and Todd Martin all day....was illiterate....and could not read...
(true story!)

either a ps 7.0 85 or my trusted estusa power beam (the one with pws thingies) (whatever tension and cheap string it came with)just playing for fun these days... What I miss, in terms of players and gear and clothes, is the variety. Everything was unique back in the Seventies and Eighties, everyone was trying to find their own niche. Now, the racquets are all variations on the same theme, the clothes are all the same colors from brand to brand every season (do adidas and Nike get together and decide they'll make nothing but blue or red or yellow shirts every spring?), and the players are all cut from the same two-handed cloth. It's better technically, but not nearly as good aesthetically or artistically. *sigh*

plasma
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
brilliant point, small brands were respected, people stood behind their matchmate, mitt, lobster or whatever it was and believed in the technology. People spoke highly of their wilson matrix ("it's almost identical to a prostaff", my 12 year old best friend Mehir used to say.) Players were so unique back then, it was like that van damme movie at the end, all the different styles...
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uy2l36.jpg

jimbo333
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
What I miss, in terms of players and gear and clothes, is the variety. Everything was unique back in the Seventies and Eighties, everyone was trying to find their own niche. Now, the racquets are all variations on the same theme, the clothes are all the same colors from brand to brand every season (do adidas and Nike get together and decide they'll make nothing but blue or red or yellow shirts every spring?), and the players are all cut from the same two-handed cloth. It's better technically, but not nearly as good aesthetically or artistically. *sigh*

Absolutely mate:)