PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the cold

GPB
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
How do you handle it?

When I play in cold weather, my left hand freezes (I'm a righty with a 1hbh). I haven't found a way to handle it yet.

When you play in cold weather, what are some of your biggest problems? What do you do to compensate for these problems?

Fay
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
How do you handle it?

When I play in cold weather, my left hand freezes (I'm a righty with a 1hbh). I haven't found a way to handle it yet.

When you play in cold weather, what are some of your biggest problems? What do you do to compensate for these problems?

I dress in layers, warm ones, wear gloves with finger tips cut off, ... the tennis shops have things you can put your hands into, like a sleeve.
I wear wool ballet warmups when it is 18 degrees F out and layers of fleece.

I have played in rain and snow. I want my practice, LOL.

spot
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
In atlanta the winter tennis can get COLD. a couple hints. First of all go ahead and buy one of the underarmor cold gear mock. Its tightfitting and it helps a TON. The biggest thing is having something close to your skin.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Cold-Gear-Longsleeve/dp/B000KGCW9Q/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

If you feel the need to wear gloves I'd go to a sporting goods store and get the wide receiver gloves that football players wear. Obviously tight fitting where they are designed to let you get a good grip.

am22fcw
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
over the last few days it has been in the 30s here in N.C. next time i go out i am going to where one of those hand warmer disposible things. they are supposed to be great and last for 8-10 hours. they are like a dollar per pack and if you only put one on your left hand, you can use it on multiple occasions.

LuckyFrame
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
i find that the more often u play in the cold the more u get used to it

Bagumbawalla
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I dress in several thin layers that can be shed as necessary. The closest layers to the skin should be a moisture-wicking fabric, much the same as you would wear in summer. Wool socks will help keep your feet warm, even if they get wet.

I find that you can find some nice light weight wool or cashmere sweaters at the thrift shops for less than the cost of cleaning them. They keep you warm, without being too heavy.

You can try cutting the toe out of a long, wool sock and stretch it over your wrist, hand, and up the racket handle. The elastic part goes over the handle and keeps it from sliding- this way you don't have to wear gloves (except, maybe, on the non-playing hand).

Be sure to stretch/warm up slowly.

fuzz nation
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Wear a hat to keep more heat in your bod - no mystery there.

If it's practical, string your cold weather racquet maybe four lbs. looser so that it doesn't feel like a brick in the lower temps. I string my own, so this isn't a big deal for me. I also have way too many frames lying around and I can appreciate your situation if you only have one or two of your own.

LuckyR
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I wear gloves with finger tips cut off, ... the tennis shops have things you can put your hands into, like a sleeve.

Another vote for the left polar fleece glove and the right polar fleece "sleeve" that covers the hand and handle (but is not between the hand and handle). Sometimes my right hand gets so hot with this setup I have to take it off for a game to let it cool down.

NotAtTheNet
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah it got pretty cold down here in miami (no joke like 30-40 degrees) and I basically had sweat pants and a polar fleece on with my regular shorts and polo underneath. As I got warmed up, I just stripped them off until I was in my usual outfit. My advice is to wear removable layers which you can quickly pop back on between rest points, and a thermos of hot chocolate goes a long way. Just keep moving and you should feel fine!

GPB
02-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I bought a workout glove (with no fingers) for my left hand, afraid that a golf or baseball glove would affect my toss. My hand stayed much warmer than usual, and this setup works for me.

My doubles partner hits with a racquetball glove on his hitting hand, so that's an idea as well.

I also switch to a tackier grip in the cold weather - with less sweat, it helps a lot.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep 'em coming!

BullDogTennis
02-06-2009, 01:28 PM
i myself, CANNOT play in like hoodies or nothin like that, its gay. i pretty much play in shorts and short sleeves no matter what the temperature is. it was like 29 and i was playing in that the other day, it was miserable. nothing really got TOO cold except my hand(i also have 1hbh) my hand like swoll up for like 3 days after that. the only thing i can recomend is puta handwarmer in your pocket and just reach down there and grab it between points, or just get a glove and wear it on your left hand (you dont really need it anyway(the hand))

LuckyR
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
i myself, CANNOT play in like hoodies or nothin like that, its gay. i pretty much play in shorts and short sleeves no matter what the temperature is. it was like 29 and i was playing in that the other day, it was miserable. nothing really got TOO cold except my hand(i also have 1hbh) my hand like swoll up for like 3 days after that. the only thing i can recomend is puta handwarmer in your pocket and just reach down there and grab it between points, or just get a glove and wear it on your left hand (you dont really need it anyway(the hand))

You're worried about hoodies being gay?

Fay
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
it was like 29 and i was playing in that the other day, it was miserable.

I could do that in my 20s, but if I play dressed like that now I would pull something for sure, LOL

CHOcobo
02-06-2009, 06:49 PM
playing at 29 is much better than playing about 5 compared to where im at. lol. but i dont' play in the cold. i look for indoors.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I would play but there's too much snow.