PDA

View Full Version : Critique my video

Bobtennis
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey guys,

Tell me what you think of my technique, if there are any flaws etc.

http://www.vimeo.com/3095849

Thanks!

TokyopunK
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Its private?

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Its private?

Excellent in-depth analysis. Enjoyed it very much.

Bobtennis
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Fixed! Sorry for the bad camera crew!

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Very nice to meet you Mr. Djokovic!

Seriously, some decent fundementals here. I can tell from this video that you have spent a decent amount of time on your footwork, which is just great.

What you do have on your forehand is a hitch where the racquet stops and then starts again. It is imperative that you fix this as soon as possible. Focus on this for now:

Preparation:

1. Coiling of the upper torso. Weight transferred to the right leg. Arm releases the racquet as the chest faces the side fence.

2. Left arm parallel to the net.

3. Right hand around chest height facing side fence with racquet head at around ear height.

4. Racquet head pointed upwards to the sky with a neutral wrist. Palm facing downwards towards the ground at a 45 degree angle. Arm also at a 45 degree angle to the back fence.

5. Hand remains on the chest side of the body at all times.

6. Backswing lead by the elbow.

Take these concepts one at a time step by step and report back to me once you get them down. Feel free to send an email to me any time with any questions, comments, advice you may need. I'll do my best to help the best I can.

LeeD
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice strokes !!
You even decided to put some energy into your vid.
Good eye concentration also.
I won't comment negatively on your forehand, as I know lots of pros who hesitate hitch just after the backswing.

Slicendicer
02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Very nice to meet you Mr. Djokovic!

Seriously, some decent fundementals here. I can tell from this video that you have spent a decent amount of time on your footwork, which is just great.

What you do have on your forehand is a hitch where the racquet stops and then starts again. It is imperative that you fix this as soon as possible. Focus on this for now:

Don't listen to that. The forehand looks pretty good. Try varying pace, spin, depth, and hitting "spots" on the court. Every pro can hit 5-6 "spots" on court within a relative ease. I've hit with many pros and watched many practices... including, Roddick, Blake, Martin, Ginepri, Vahaly, Salzenstein, D. Young, Skovy Jenkins, Courier, Pernfors, Muster. All can hit the same spot consistantly on both wings.

The BH looks a little weak, like maybe you "swipe" across the ball too much and not forward through the ball, it's hard to tell watching a video. I like to drive the BH, a very offensive shot.

Regardless, you know what "gets you beat", what shots give you trouble... just work on that aspect of your game.

tennisguyak
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
On the forehand, you're opening up your chest way to early and thats making you hit off your back foot, so the balls flying up. On the backhand, you're falling backwards (left foot falls back) instead of bringing your body through the shot (left foot comes forward), which would put more pace on your shot, instead of that loft that drops it right behind the net.

The_Steak
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't see enough rotation in the hips on the forehand. It seems to me as if you are arming the ball.

Your forehand technique bothers me though.

Lotto
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Bobtennis,

I'd love to help you with your strokes. I'm thinking about offering free video analysis to people at my clubs to help them improve, I'm only 16 but have studied tennis technique and other things extensively, spending hours upon hours on Tennisplayer, Hi-techtennis and FuzzyYellowBalls so I have learned alot. Do you know if I can download your video so I can go through it frame by frame and could you maybe get side and rear angle views? I'd love to do a course in coaching when I'm old enough(have to be 18 in Ireland) just to help people as a hobby. And maybe I could give a test run by analysing your strokes and then maybe Will Hamilton or Jeff Counts could give me some critique on my analysis.

You up for it?

Jono.

Bagumbawalla
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Overall, nice strokes, nicely grooved.

Good side to side movement/footwork.

Of course there is room for improvement, but you seem well on the way toward developing some excellent groundstrokes.

It looks like you have a trainer or coach, and I would just continue to follow the instructor who got you to this point.

futuratennis
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't see enough rotation in the hips on the forehand. It seems to me as if you are arming the ball.

Your forehand technique bothers me though.

same, it looks a little awkward, it does look like youre muscling the ball, try turning ur body alot more and using hip rotation

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Don't listen to that. The forehand looks pretty good. Try varying pace, spin, depth, and hitting "spots" on the court. Every pro can hit 5-6 "spots" on court within a relative ease. I've hit with many pros and watched many practices... including, Roddick, Blake, Martin, Ginepri, Vahaly, Salzenstein, D. Young, Skovy Jenkins, Courier, Pernfors, Muster. All can hit the same spot consistantly on both wings.

All of which have smooth strokes without any serious hitches in them.

The BH looks a little weak, like maybe you "swipe" across the ball too much and not forward through the ball, it's hard to tell watching a video. I like to drive the BH, a very offensive shot.

Thanks so much! This concept of "swiping" the ball really goes in depth into the complexity that is "form", Mr. I have coaching experience, LOL!!!!!!!!!

Regardless, you know what "gets you beat", what shots give you trouble... just work on that aspect of your game.
If a player is truly honest with himself, he realizes that ALL aspects of the game can be improved, always and forever.

Slicendicer
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
If a player is truly honest with himself, he realizes that ALL aspects of the game can be improved, always and forever.

All of which have smooth strokes?? Have you seen Roddicks backhand, or Courier's? Have you see Mikael Pernfors play more junk than Santoro? Ok.

If the OP doesn't get the picture of my message, then so be it. It's not about me you *****... maybe I don't want to bloviate for 5 paragraphs about the "perfect contact" Federer vision technique... that is crap... capice.

A truly honest player? What are you talking about? I really want to get you on a court, like now... how can we make this happen? I'm 80lb's overweight, still I will destroy you and your tennis like you've never experienced before.

LeeD
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Once again, we all have different perceptions on HOW to play tennis.
One is not more right or wrong than the other!
Tennis is individual, like playing guitar, there's more than one way to skin the cat.
We need to present our views without snide remarks about other's views. We are ALL correct, for someone.
Certainly you all can gang up on my views. But they're just as valid as anyone elses, even thos I did not go thru some USTA teaching program.
Who's to say the USTA program is worth salt?
Who's to say, amongst 10 different opinions, which is correct or applicable?
There's room for more than ONE view on these subjects, you know that.
Why else would a BradGilbert or MirslavMecir be so effective in their days?
Express your opinions, but you are not more right or more wrong than the next guy !

The_Steak
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
All of which have smooth strokes?? Have you seen Roddicks backhand, or Courier's? Have you see Mikael Pernfors play more junk than Santoro? Ok.

If the OP doesn't get the picture of my message, then so be it. It's not about me you *****... maybe I don't want to bloviate for 5 paragraphs about the "perfect contact" Federer vision technique... that is crap... capice.

A truly honest player? What are you talking about? I really want to get you on a court, like now... how can we make this happen? I'm 80lb's overweight, still I will destroy you and your tennis like you've never experienced before.

Hey, I really gotta warn you. Do not talk out of your arse. Both of you have not seen eachother play and if you are 80 pounds over weight I doubt if you can beat him. I did not say can't, but doubt because of your phsycal condition.

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Few thoughts before you continue:

How well do you know me, really?

Has it been established yet that this thread is strictly about your own personal agenda?

If so, how do you feel about the quality of information provided?

Slicendicer
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey, I really gotta warn you. Do not talk out of your arse. Both of you have not seen eachother play and if you are 80 pounds over weight I doubt if you can beat him. I did not say can't, but doubt because of your phsycal condition.

I have confidence. I don't need it. I'll carry the extra 80lb's. I hit the ball good enough it won't matter. :)

Slicendicer
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Few thoughts before you continue:

How well do you know me, really?

Has it been established that this thread is strictly about your own personal agenda?

If so, how do you feel about it?

I don't know you, but I know guys like you... knowitalls, yet can't pony up. I am on vacation for 2 weeks. I will drive 3/4 distance, let's meet and play a few sets, eh? Stillwater is a 12 hour drive... I'll drive the 8, you drive the 4. Let's do this.

Nope. The OP asked for an opinion regarding his groundies. I expressed my POV as best I could without assuming I know all there is to know about tennis.

I feel very good about this.

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know you, but I know guys like you... knowitalls, yet can't pony up.

This concerns me.

I am on vacation for 2 weeks. I will drive 3/4 distance, let's meet and play a few sets, eh? Stillwater is a 12 hour drive... I'll drive the 8, you drive the 4. Let's do this.

Nope. The OP asked for an opinion regarding his groundies. I expressed my POV as best I could without assuming I know all there is to know about tennis.

I feel very good about this.

What exactly led you to this belief in the first place?

Slicendicer
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
What exactly led you to this belief in the first place?

Either put up or don't refer any posts toward me. I'm done with you. :shock:

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Either put up or don't refer any posts toward me. I'm done with you. :shock:
What does an inability to read between the lines say about your personality?

WChiang
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I have confidence. I don't need it. I'll carry the extra 80lb's. I hit the ball good enough it won't matter. :)

What a howl. Internet wannabee!! LMAO!! Go on a diet big fella and get back to us.

fuzz nation
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Way to go boneheads!!!

I'm sure the OP appreciates the hell out of your love fest... get a room or something please.

Bobtennis - keep up the good work, amigo. Always good to see a young buck such as yourself with a big one handed backhand. Couldn't really pick out anything catastrophic from this angle in your video.

I think there was only one backhand slice in there and it's hard to say how solid you are with that stroke - if it's a little lacking, you might want to work harder to get more deliberately onto your front foot before the stroke, even if you're moving laterally instead of forward. That will get you swinging through the ball instead of just to the ball and your slice will penetrate the court more than float on you.

Your feet certainly aren't lazy, but a couple of the strokes in your video don't fire quite right because of your positioning - look at that second backhand you did at 0:12 with an open stance. It looks like the shuffle/stutter steps that would optimize your setup could be lacking here and there, but this looks like a casual hitting session with a little less than the highest urgency in your movement, right? Keep them small steps going routinely, even in your hitting sessions, and you'll be right on your mark all day.

pushing_wins
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
very pretty
talk about being on your toes
you'd be a great ballerina

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
very pretty
talk about being on your toes
you'd be a great ballerina

Yes, his understanding of the proper footwork patterns necessary for this sport is excellent for his age.

user92626
02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a feeling you clear the net quite high because your fh hits up. You even seem like you lean backward as you swing. Other than that and low shoulder turn you have a very good timing which I think is so important in tennis.

Djokovicfan4life
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Bob,

Remember that ideally you should be getting into position with the inside leg behind the flight path of the ball BEFORE it bounces. And of course, by "behind", I mean in good position, a concept that you are fully aware of with the quality of footwork you've developed up to this point. Half the battle is won at the moment that a player begins to throw aside all this talk of the "superficialities" of tennis, such as: pretty strokes, the importance of equipment, a focus on the short term result, etc.

What I would strongly recommend that you focus on for now is your recovery back to the "middle" of the court, as some prefer to call it, using the crossover step technique. I saw some little seedlings of this at around 0:08 in your vid, but it needs to be much bigger and more explosive. After you work on this you can begin to learn the exact position that you should move to in the court, based on where you hit the previous stroke.

Good luck,

Matt.

chico9166
02-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Bob,

When hitting from an open stance on the forehand, the goal is to get the shoulder line to turn further than the hip line. This will really put the lats, obliques, and abs "on stretch". As of right now, your hips and shoulder line are on the same plane, in the backswing.

Keep the hands together on the racquet longer as you start to set the unit turn, with the goal being to turn far enough so that the left arm is more or less parallel to the baseline, in your final prep stage.

The use of the left arm in the forehand has been discussed frequently on this forum. Do a search. There is alot of good information on this topic, which could be very useful in your case.

Keep up the good work.

EikelBeiter
02-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Bob,

When hitting from an open stance on the forehand, the goal is to get the shoulder line to turn further than the hip line. This will really put the lats, obliques, and abs "on stretch". As of right now, your hips and shoulder line are on the same plane, in the backswing.

Keep the hands together on the racquet longer as you start to set the unit turn, with the goal being to turn far enough so that the left arm is more or less parallel to the baseline, in your final prep stage.

The use of the left arm in the forehand has been discussed frequently on this forum. Do a search. There is alot of good information on this topic, which could be very useful in your case.

Keep up the good work.

Well that is a bit too harsch as you can see from the screenshot, but i agree a little more shoulder turn couldn't hurt him!

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/EikelBeiter/tennis.jpg

ryangoring
02-06-2009, 06:35 AM
His forehand reminds me of KEI's!
:)

Nellie
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
A couple of quick thoughts:

Try not to put too much loop on the forehand. On several shots, the racquet is so far up and back that you wrapped it well behind your head. I would suggest on that open forehand, that you do not bring back the racquet more than you can see the racquet out of your peripheral vision while looking at the ball (about the line of your shoulder).

2.) You play with stiff, straight knees - if you add a sight bend, you would move a little easier, particularly when you move foreward on the short, low ball.

3) on both sides, make sure you bring the racquet beneath the ball during the loop, before contact. You have several shots where you use a big loop, only to hit a flat shot.

4). Footwork on the backhand is really off. You are stepping/kicking backwards away from the ball, causing you to lose any power. You really need to be moving forward on that stroke.