PDA

View Full Version : Andre you're still the one.

BaseLineBash
02-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Just in case he's surfing the net, I wanted him to know that.

antontd
02-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Andre, you're still the second.
Stop watching the ball, start moving(running if possible) towards it. Fed makes you look like an amateur.

tennis1982
02-26-2005, 09:33 PM
antontd: If you're going to criticize other tennis players, at least try to substantiate your claims, otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

lemurballs
02-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Andre is the last of his generation, and what a great generation it was. I only hope that 11 years from now, I can say the same about this new generation.

Rabbit
02-27-2005, 04:40 AM
He's surely going to be missed once he's gone.

baseliner
02-27-2005, 07:40 AM
No question. What would he have accomplished if he dedicated himself from age 18 on. I know, I know woulda, coulda shoulda. The last to win the career grand slam. May not happen again for sometime.

davey25
02-27-2005, 09:56 AM
No question. What would he have accomplished if he dedicated himself from age 18 on. I know, I know woulda, coulda shoulda. The last to win the career grand slam. May not happen again for sometime.

Really are you totally confident Federer will never win the French? Even Safin has the game that has potential to win on clay or grass at some point in his career. Ok Safin's record on grass is pretty bad, but with his game it should translate to be a contender on any surface. I would say it could well happen within the next 5 years that another player wins the career(not neccessarily calander but career)slam.

lemurballs
02-27-2005, 11:54 AM
They should just take the french clay, water it down and turn it into a mud bowl.

Rabbit
02-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Really are you totally confident Federer will never win the French?

I think Federer's winning the French is going to be soley predicated on desire. If he wants it bad enough and is willing to dedicate the time to preparing on clay, then he has as good a chance as any.

Right now though, he has said himself that he is focusing on winning Wimbledon. I think he views Sampras as his competition in history and as such wants very badly to eclipse Sampras' achievements at Wimbledon. He may also view Wimbledon as a more winnable tournament for him than the French. There are so many guys out there whose names end in vowels who do nothing more than play on clay. And finally, there are only what, two weeks between the French and Wimbledon? Winning both back to back has proven very tough through the years.

Datacipher
02-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I hope Andre will consider playing on, even if his chance of winning a grand slam becomes near nil. He is still a huge draw, a great ambassador and a link to the past. He has matured into a fine spokesperson and role model for other pros and he still brings perhaps more public interest than anyone else in the game. As long as he can can play at tour level, even if it's no. 100, I'd like to see him keep playing. Hopefully he can enjoy the game, even when he's not a true contender.

davey25
02-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Well I am not saying Federer is the one to beat on clay, I do think it is quite reasonable to think he has a very good chance of winning the French atleast once in his career. He has already been in three Masters Series finals on clay, winning two of them, in a span of three years. Eventually he should start posting some very good results at the French, even if not wins, he should be starting to get to the quarters and beyond at some point. There is good depth of clay courters but there are no dominant ones of yet, neither Coria or Ferrero have done enough to prove dominant on clay yet. In fact Kuerten has been the only truly dominant clay courter since the late 80s. When all is said and done I would be surprised if he doesnt win the French atleast once, maybe twice, in his career.

davey25
02-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I hope Andre will consider playing on, even if his chance of winning a grand slam becomes near nil. He is still a huge draw, a great ambassador and a link to the past. He has matured into a fine spokesperson and role model for other pros and he still brings perhaps more public interest than anyone else in the game. As long as he can can play at tour level, even if it's no. 100, I'd like to see him keep playing. Hopefully he can enjoy the game, even when he's not a true contender.

I am sorry but I am not sure how you think a player of Andre's stature is going to enjoy the game when he is not a true contender anymore. A former #1 and 8-time slam winner is not going to enjoy being out of the top 10, hoping to get to quarters of majors, and getting spanked around by the top players. I would wait until another major or two until I say I feel he has reached that point. He was respectably strong in Australia, he should feel good about his tournament there, but since he has dropped swiftly. If things dont improve by later in the year I fully expect you will see him retire. With a wife and kids, at age 35, it isnt worth the sacrifice to play and train your *** off to be a solid journeyman on tour, when you are a champion of his stature.

big ted
02-27-2005, 12:48 PM
andre may retire this year
1. hes playing davis cup this year. rumours were he was going to play one last time before he retires
2. he skipped his favorite scottsdale tournament this year to play in dubai. mabye cuz he knows he may never get a chance to play there again

Aykhan Mammadov
02-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Really are you totally confident Federer will never win the French? Even Safin has the game that has potential to win on clay or grass at some point in his career. Ok Safin's record on grass is pretty bad, but with his game it should translate to be a contender on any surface. I would say it could well happen within the next 5 years that another player wins the career(not neccessarily calander but career)slam.

davey25, just in addition. Fed-Safin met 8 times, result is 6:2 . Moreover all 3 matches on clay won Federer. So if Safin has chances to win FO, then Fed has more chances.

Datacipher
02-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I am sorry but I am not sure how you think a player of Andre's stature is going to enjoy the game when he is not a true contender anymore. A former #1 and 8-time slam winner is not going to enjoy being out of the top 10, hoping to get to quarters of majors, and getting spanked around by the top players. .

First of all, I don't think this will necessarily be the case, I said "I hoped".

Second, a number of former top players have kept playing simply because they enjoy the competition, even if they were no longer at the top. Connors, Gonzales, Navratilova, King etc.

It's presumptutious for you to think you could know whether Agassi would find this enjoyable or not and what decision he will make. It is within the realm of possibility.

BaseLineBash
03-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Just in case he missed the title the first time.

BaseLineBash
03-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Andre, watch Rocky III.