PDA

View Full Version : I've given up hope

KBlade
02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I ****ed up tryouts. I played great on Monday, and since then been playing progressively worse. I completely choked. Won against one person but lost to 6. However all those players were much better than me, so I couldn't do much. I just felt so helpless. My hopes of making varsity are shattered.

GeorgeLucas
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Tryouts are like icecream: You gotta gobble it up quick before it melts. Obviously, you've missed the ripest time to pick up a spot in varsity. But don't despair!!

It's a slippery slope working your way from the bottom to the top. Sorta like having to lick up the melted ice cream off the cone. Where the other guys are putting in one hour, you ought to put in two, but soon you'll find your former beaters becoming the beatees. Your coach wont deny someone a spot on the team if they are obviously a superior player. BE THAT PLAYER

autumn_leaf
02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
so what....? they were better players, that usually comes with experience or plain natural ability, former is probably more likely.

only way to help your game is to do physical conditioning and get more practice time in with better players.

KBlade
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Well at first just the people trying out for the team (in general) were practicing hitting. I mean, I was one of the most consistent players there (in addition to 2 other guys). So the varsity players were challenging each other to rebuild the ladder. The coach placed me and those 2 guys into the varsity ladder building challenges.

So I'm assuming the coach thinks I'm capable of varsity level playing.

Those varsity guys challenging each other already have guaranteed spots. They'll only playing for the position/rank. Its a far stretch, I know, but I'm just going to assume that I'm in varsity playing just like the rest of the guys.

fuzz nation
02-06-2009, 06:22 AM
You've given up hope?...

What's with the drama, amigo? If the better players end up earning the spots ahead of you, there's not much to figure out. I'm with our pal autumn leaf - if you need to get better, make it happen. Hoping for it won't make you a stronger player, right? Believe me, we're on your side and if you want it, you can do it.

The varsity teams where I coach play four singles matches and three doubles matches in competitions against other schools. That's ten players competing for seven individual points; four points wins the overall match. Are you among the better players and worried about a singles spot or are you worried about missing the varsity ranks altogether?

I'm curious because if you fear some disgrace of being relegated to doubles, you need a different attitude. I coached an undefeated varsity crew a few years ago and the key to that team's success was their depth. They dropped only one individual doubles match the entire season and despite the talent and drive of the singles players, my doubles players were my "rock stars". They worked hard, elevated each other, and earned that team's division title.

Even if you're in some alternate status this season, you need to keep moving forward. Unlike a lot of your friends at school who may never play some of their sports again after they graduate, your tennis career is just getting started. Keep us informed.

LeeD
02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Excellent post, Fuzz Nation....
I hope all here embrace the concept of TRYING harder even if you don't succeed at first.

futuratennis
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
may i ask, whats varsity? (i live in sydney)

Craig8592505
02-07-2009, 03:19 AM
There is a new book out called Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. It talks about what makes people successfull outside of the norm (a statistical outlier). There is a chapter that talks about how it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become truly excellent at anything. There are no shortcuts. There isn't a single truly great tennis player that didn't have to put in that kind of time to be great. Think about that - Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe, Lendl, Borg, etc. - they all had to practice an INSANE amount of time to become the player they were.

I played number one for my high school for three years, but I never had a winning record at that position. And looking back (that was 18 years ago), it wasn't my lack of talent. It was simply because I DID NOT PRACTICE ENOUGH. It sounds obvious right? You have to practice. For all of us, there is some level of tennis that we could achieve if we truly applied ourselves to the game. Sure we are all limited by ability, money, etc. But one thing you have a LOT of control over is how much you practice.

Intimidate people with your work ethic. Put in so much time practicing (quality practice) that you are already in their heads when you play them. How many of us have started playing someone that we know plays all the time and thought "well of course I won't do that well, because this guy plays way more than me."

We all have to balance our lives with school, work, family, friends, fun, etc. But here is the thing, if you truly like a sport, don't be afraid to really throw yourself into it to find out what your potential really is. Being nostaligic again - at my high school, tennis wasn't a cool sport to play. So I always had this underlying feeling of, if I really threw myself into tennis, I would be the freak, because tennis isn't on par with track or baseball. But obviously that is crap. Tennis is a great game, and you'll be playing it long after the baseball jocks and track stars have hung it up.

Maybe you are spending every waking moment on tennis. But if you are like 99% of us, you will never know your true potential simply because you didn't put more time into it. It won't be because you didn't have six matched racquets, or Nadal's bag, or unlimited indoor court time, it'll be because you didn't maximize the time and resources available to you (for example, that public court sitting empty while you are playing video games, watching TV, Facebooking, or otherwise sqaundering away your tennis potential). :-)

LeeD
02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Excellent post !
That's why I always advocate practicing at least 6 hours a day, 6 days a week from your second thru 4th years.
Before you second year, you have to develop the conditioning and muscles.
After the 4th year, you have an idea where you are and you're good enough to decide for yourself.
If you don't put in that much practice time, you are not trying to get good in tennis. Good as in pro qualifyers and tournaments.

Djokovicfan4life
02-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Make your email public..... please. I can help you.

Matt

Dreamer
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I resigned to the idea that when you give up, it was not important enough to you. If it really was so important, not just some superficial desire for superficial reasons, the idea of quitting wouldn't have crossed your mind.

fuzz nation
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
may i ask, whats varsity? (i live in sydney)

In typical high school settings here, an overall team may be divided into different "squads" with the stronger group being the varsity, while the more developmental bunch is the junior varsity.

What sort of lingo is used where you live? Go nuts - most of us love this stuff!