PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Chain?

Lotto
02-06-2009, 04:16 AM
I've alwyas been intrigued by biomechanics and the kinetic chain on the groundstrokes. I can never find anything about it though when I search for it on google.
I loved Brian Gordons articles on Tennisplayer about the biomechanics of the serve and how each body part contributes to the strokes and what time it comes into play and what it does at the different stages.

Does anyone know anything good about the biomechanics of the Forehand and one handed backhand? My coach is always telling me that my biomechanics are crap, that I don't use my legs and hips enough. Does anyone want to give a detailed explanation on the kinetic chain for groundstrokes? It's one thing I really want to implement into my game. Any useful links?

I think John Yandell said that Brian Gordon would have an article out on the forehand at the start of this year but nothing for the January issue, maybe the February one? John or Jeff, any info on this? Cheers.

Crusher10s
02-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Well if your coach is telling you your biomechanics are crap.....then make him explain to you what the kinetic chain is and exactly why he thinks your biomechanics are crap.

LeeD
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd look at golfers and baseball batters.
But remember, they don't have to run to the ball.

BrianGordon
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I've alwyas been intrigued by biomechanics and the kinetic chain on the groundstrokes. I can never find anything about it though when I search for it on google.
I loved Brian Gordons articles on Tennisplayer about the biomechanics of the serve and how each body part contributes to the strokes and what time it comes into play and what it does at the different stages.

Does anyone know anything good about the biomechanics of the Forehand and one handed backhand? My coach is always telling me that my biomechanics are crap, that I don't use my legs and hips enough. Does anyone want to give a detailed explanation on the kinetic chain for groundstrokes? It's one thing I really want to implement into my game. Any useful links?

I think John Yandell said that Brian Gordon would have an article out on the forehand at the start of this year but nothing for the January issue, maybe the February one? John or Jeff, any info on this? Cheers.

Thanks- some love 'em, some hate 'em. The kinetic chain is a generalized concept that attempts to capture the idea that racquet speed is developed from the ground up and then from the legs to the racquet.

This is accomplished by each body segment (the chain) generating and/or transferring force, kinetic energy, or momentum (the kinetics) to the next segment in the chain in a coordinated and sequential manner.

It is generalized to the extent that players and coaches can derive benefit without getting into the gruesome details of how these interactions occur - details I will attempt to explain in John's world later this Spring or in the Summer - still conducting the requisite research on many of the aspects.

julian
02-07-2009, 07:22 AM

A current USPTA certification manual maybe a bit of help if you have an
access to a most recent version