PDA

View Full Version : how much body is too much

bbbbbb
02-06-2009, 05:15 AM
i mean before i use to use only arm in my forehand and now i dont use it at all i just use my unit turn to swing at the ball and keep my arm completly still and at contact use the ww follow through is this wrong should i use more arm?

fuzz nation
02-06-2009, 05:39 AM
No way to tell without a look at it - appreciate you description, though.

Is your stroke consistent? If you have a sensation that you're swinging the racquet more with your legs and core than your arm, you're probably in a good direction with your swing.

GeorgeLucas
02-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Rather be too much body than too much arm, my friend.

Djokovicfan4life
02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Rather be too much body than too much arm, my friend.

This.

bbbbbb, all the great forehands of today's game ideally utilize 180-235 degrees of rotation, whenever possible. However, the latter is for advanced levels only, so I want you to focus on 180 degrees for now. Do a search for posts by BB and type "shoulder tuck" or something of this nature into the keywords section. I guarantee that it will help.

Matt

user92626
02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
A sign of overtwisting your (upper)body in your stroke is that by the end of the day you'll feel a backache. Also, I don't think you can produce much pace with just the body. You'll probably only get low-paced consistence.

Djokovicfan4life
02-06-2009, 09:38 PM
A sign of overtwisting your (upper)body in your stroke is that by the end of the day you'll feel a backache. Also, I don't think you can produce much pace with just the body. You'll probably only get low-paced consistence.

Not necessarily. Pain can also stem directly from a lack of proper technique as well. The true problem is the brush, not the canvas.

Matt

user92626
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Not necessarily. Pain can also stem directly from a lack of proper technique as well. The true problem is the brush, not the canvas.

Matt
There you go. Overusing (twisting) the body is not proper technique. Hence, pain is a sign.

Djokovicfan4life
02-07-2009, 07:28 AM
There you go. Overusing (twisting) the body is not proper technique. Hence, pain is a sign.

Shoulders should be "twisted" at around 45 degrees to the net with the back facing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFibX-inICg

Dreamer
02-07-2009, 10:06 AM
i mean before i use to use only arm in my forehand and now i dont use it at all i just use my unit turn to swing at the ball and keep my arm completly still and at contact use the ww follow through is this wrong should i use more arm?

I know what you're talking about. I use to over exert my lower body for power, but now i transferred more of the work to my upper body and core. I would say not to force it, don't over think it. You will be surprised how natural weight transfer can become if you let your body figure it out.

Bud
02-07-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.jennymiller.com/images/Serena.jpg