PDA

View Full Version : Singles or Doubles?

plumcrazy
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm new at posting and I hope nobody has asked this recently but I was wandering if you guys like singles or doubles better. I'm 36 years old and just picked up my racquet again about 2 years ago. Pretty much every person I have played with since I've gotten back into it LOVES playing doubles. I have nothing against doubles but I'm not a big fan. I remember when I was younger everybody played singles and you didn't know a lot of people who liked doubles. Here are a few reasons why I love singles: I get more execise,I don't like depending on anybody else, if I lose it's all on me, I don't want to let my partner down if I mess up, mentally I like thinking and coming up with strategies on my own. If I think of some more, I will post them. Which do you guys like better and why?

LeeD
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, with your thought processes, you should keep playing singles.
I find doubles, in a competitive match, a different kind of experience. Physically maybe not quite as demanding as singles, but different demands.
In doubs, you move with the ball and your partner, no standing walkabouts. You move with EVERY shot, yours, your partners, your opposition's.
Sure, you don't often run as far. But that first step, to move YOU from a standstill, takes as much effort as the following 3 steps.
So play what you want.
Me, as an almost 60 year old hasbeen, I like playing both, about equally. It's almost impossible for me to find equal singles players (I"m like 4.0 now, just my opinion, but used to play successfully in PRO qualifiers), can't abide by the "black book" (I"m a surfer), so pick up doubs at courts where 3.5's to 4.0's hang out are the best option.

plumcrazy
02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, with your thought processes, you should keep playing singles.
I find doubles, in a competitive match, a different kind of experience. Physically maybe not quite as demanding as singles, but different demands.
In doubs, you move with the ball and your partner, no standing walkabouts. You move with EVERY shot, yours, your partners, your opposition's.
Sure, you don't often run as far. But that first step, to move YOU from a standstill, takes as much effort as the following 3 steps.
So play what you want.
Me, as an almost 60 year old hasbeen, I like playing both, about equally. It's almost impossible for me to find equal singles players (I"m like 4.0 now, just my opinion, but used to play successfully in PRO qualifiers), can't abide by the "black book" (I"m a surfer), so pick up doubs at courts where 3.5's to 4.0's hang out are the best option.

Thanks for the thoughts. I want you and everybody to know that I am NOT putting down doubles or anybody who plays doubles. I just wanted to hear from the other side because I have always played singles.

JavierLW
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm new at posting and I hope nobody has asked this recently but I was wandering if you guys like singles or doubles better. I'm 36 years old and just picked up my racquet again about 2 years ago. Pretty much every person I have played with since I've gotten back into it LOVES playing doubles. I have nothing against doubles but I'm not a big fan. I remember when I was younger everybody played singles and you didn't know a lot of people who liked doubles. Here are a few reasons why I love singles: I get more execise,I don't like depending on anybody else, if I lose it's all on me, I don't want to let my partner down if I mess up, mentally I like thinking and coming up with strategies on my own. If I think of some more, I will post them. Which do you guys like better and why?

I feel about the same way as you. I first started playing tennis in high school with singles in mind and for the quality's you describe. (it's all you out there, versus when I was on the baseball team where it didnt quite matter as much how well I played, and win or lose you are responsible although you are on a overall team in high school)

And I agree that doubles is more of a team sport and some of those qualitys are lost.

But what Ive found is that doubles is more of a sport that takes specific skills that you can master, where any given singles match can look completely different depending on who you are playing (especially in the lower levels where it's a matter of exploiting what someone cant do very well before they pick on what you cant do very well).

So that being said, Ive been on 11 different teams now that use the 2S/3D format (I was the captain of 8 of them) and Ive only played a singles match once ever. Not because I didnt want to, but just because 6 out of the 8 people have to play doubles, it makes sense to just easily stick your two best singles players at singles, and because I have enough experience at doubles that Im an asset there.

So I guess this is sort of my half-@ssed answer. I do enjoy singles a lot more, but Ive had some decent doubles matches as well. If it's with a good partner that you work well with, it's as good as any singles match.

I think doubles is prevalent at least in my area because I live somewhere that only has 3 really good months of outdoor tennis weather. So most "serious" (ones who play a lot) amatuer players are indoor players and if you are paying some crazy high rate for court-time it's a lot more affordable when you have 4 people.

mikeler
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm 36 and I like to play singles much more. I figure doubles can wait until I'm older. Sometimes at my club, if I play only 2 sets of singles, I'll troll around and see if anybody else needs a 4th for doubles just to work on my net game.

LeeD
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Not to hijack....
I was wondering how you guys can find singles players of your level to play and practice with?
I can easily find doubles players, as they tend to hang out at the courts, I get paired with the worst of the foursome, and we have a go at it.
But singles, seems I'd need the black book, lots of early scheduling, and an extensive network of players ready, willing, and able.
Oh, I'm a surfer.

mista-k
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
stop playing 2x
its like a plague...
start playing singles your still young...rock hard!

Jim A
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I much prefer singles, but all drop-in etc is doubles, allows me to work on volleys, 2nd serves etc..but all my leagues are singles

raiden031
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Singles by far. You hit the ball twice as much and are constantly moving.

Doubles is fun when you have the right group of poeple. If your partner is weaker than you it can be a very frustrating experience.

BullDogTennis
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
singles.
1.because i dont want to depend on someone else.
2.because if im sucking i dont want to lose it for them.

Bud
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Generally, older people (over 35) prefer doubles since the physical demand is not as high. It's also more social and less competitive than singles.

I enjoy playing both but find myself playing more doubles since most people my age (40) prefer doubles.

02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd have to say I strongly prefer the doubles game because I find it so much more mentally stimulating. If you have a partner that is concerned with working as a Team, I find it to be a real treat to employ the wide array of tactics for dubs. I tend to get a pretty good workout due to closing tight enough to net invite being lobbed, then retreating back to hit overheads. I also like that I don't have to serve as often and get to volley and overhead smash more. Serving is the only shot that tends to bother some of my old injuries. Also IMO, dubs rewards precision shots and quickness more, which fit my skills better. Years ago, dubs was a way to play that allowed me to hide my weak to avg backhand, but that is not an issue these days. I had almost forgotten about that. lol.

The downside for me is finding partners that won't hang in no mans land, cause then the opponents just hit dipping shots at their feet all match for them to half volley and I get taken mostly out of the match.

All that said, I am starting to play singles more for the exercise and not having to depend on partners. Also the Pro match ups with Fed, Rafa, DJ and Murry, have gotten me more interested in fooling around with singles strategy and tactics more, based on what I'm seeing from those guys.

Steady Eddy
02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Generally, older people (over 35) prefer doubles since the physical demand is not as high. It's also more social and less competitive than singles.

I enjoy playing both but find myself playing more doubles since most people my age (40) prefer doubles.Yeah, this is true. I'm over 50 and I only play singles when there's no other way to play. Also, singles has more stress, because I might lose and there wouldn't be anyone to blame it on. :twisted: