PDA

View Full Version : How does a wooden racquet play like?

oneguy21
02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Can you hit a ww forehand, kick serves, and other shots with pretty good racquet head speed?

LeeD
02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
If you're good, yes.
ColinDibley was timed 149 mph, about 15 faster than the next touring pro with a stiffer than stock MaxPly strung at 68 with VS 16 gauge gut.
Borg started his successful career with Donnay woods.
As for WW finishes, Borg did sometimes, but most didn't.
Kick serves, definetely.
Anyone with an Eastern forehand can still hit pretty well with wood.
Flatter backhands also, of course.
Full modern western grip shots... more mishits.
Second serves....slightly slower.
LowellBarnhardt, who won the amateur class at GGPark in '77 used a KramerAutograph.... 129.7.
I cheated and used the green Yonex aluminum.

Bagumbawalla
02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
The best way to find out is first-hand. Find an old wooden racket at a yard sale or thrift shop. You may have to look around to find a well-crafter racket in good shape- and with good strings. Then, go out and hitfor a while against your partner.

In general, if you have grown up with the modern racket, you will hate playing with wood. The racket head is smaller, the sweet-spot miniscule, and "feedback" from off-center hits, can be jarring to your arm.

On the other hand, it would be like going back into tennis history- and you may just enjoy that kind of thing for its own sake. I still have acouple wooden rackets aound- for when I am feeling nostalgic.

oneguy21
02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I see tennis warehouse is selling some. Maybe I oughta buy one and string it with babolat vs to see for myself.

smoothtennis
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Will a tennis center even string a wooden racket these days?

mixertefera
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM

that is great question dose someone know cause i got a old wood racket that needs to be strung

Mick
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM

i believe it's easier to string a wooden racquet than a t2000. the place where i go to string my racquets charges the same price to string a wooden racquet (as today's racquets) but they would charge more to string a t2000.