PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win French Open? Sharapova is!!!

Agassi
02-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Maria Sharapova has the best chance of winning the French Open besides defending champion Anastasia Myskina. Sharapova made it all the way to the semis last year where she lost to Elena Dementieva. Ever since Wimbledon she has done well excpet for the U.S. Open (3rd round loss to Mary Pierce). She could have won the Austrailian Open if Serena hadn't saved those three match points in the third set. She plays well on clay and has a good mindset. If she plays like she did in Melbourne, she can say hello to another Grand Slam.

iscottius
02-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Believe it or not Mauresmo is going to win the french this year!!!, I am not huge fan, but the surface is perfect for her game--and if she is ever going to win a major she needs to do it soon

Agassi
02-27-2005, 05:31 AM
She needs to do it soon, but with her nerves she will probably make it to the semis and blow it there. She has a great game for the surface, but her head is not there. She doesn't play consistently enough and doesn't keep her head that well as it gets closer to the final in Paris. Sharapova won Wimbledon her second time playing there. She had nothing to lose. Mauresmo might have the game for it but Maria has the head for it.

nkhera1
02-27-2005, 07:55 AM
I don't know if Sharapova will have the stamina and patience to tough out Roland Garros this year. She makes quite a few unforced errors and she likes to go for the big shots a lot which doesn't work out too well in the French Open. Her agressive style may get her into trouble here.

USCfan
02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Is Henin-Hardenne going to compete, or is she still out?

Agassi
02-28-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't know if Sharapova will have the stamina and patience to tough out Roland Garros this year. She makes quite a few unforced errors and she likes to go for the big shots a lot which doesn't work out too well in the French Open. Her agressive style may get her into trouble here.

I agree. However, last year she showed she was able to adapt to clay. I watched her play last year and she waited for the right time to go for the big shots and winners. I think she will play a lot smarter than she did last year. She made it to the semis and lost in a close match to Dementieva. Dementieva's game is practically made for clay. All of her topspin shots and her slice serve are perfect for it. But Sharapova will come out big again and try and clench another Slam in Paris.

Pushmaster
02-28-2005, 04:52 AM
Believe it or not Mauresmo is going to win the french this year!!!, I am not huge fan, but the surface is perfect for her game--and if she is ever going to win a major she needs to do it soon
I really doubt it, unless some of the other top ranked players get upset so she would have a relatively easy draw all the way. I don't recall what her record is against top 3 players, but it seems like she almost never beats them.

iscottius
02-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I really doubt it, unless some of the other top ranked players get upset so she would have a relatively easy draw all the way. I don't recall what her record is against top 3 players, but it seems like she almost never beats them.
I know that her record is not great against top three, the pressure to win the french, etc., but if she is ever going to win a major she needs to do it soon and the french is her best shot!--She will not be the favored, but she may win

Serve-And-Volley
03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
If Justine Henin-Hardenne is back she is always a strong contender as well as Mauresmo or Myskina. I look for Hardenne if she is well to take Roland Garros or Mauresmo if she could has become mentally tough is also strong favorite.

nkhera1
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
If Justine Henin-Hardenne is back she is always a strong contender as well as Mauresmo or Myskina. I look for Hardenne if she is well to take Roland Garros or Mauresmo if she could has become mentally tough is also strong favorite.

I think Henin-Hardenne may be a little shaky to start of the year after having not played for quite a while.

Mirage
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I think Sharapova lost to Paola Suarez in the quarters at Roland Garros. Basically, Suarez just waited for Sharapova to self-destruct. The conditions were wet and heavy so Maria couldn't pound away....which led her to lose 1-6 3-6. She had 40 unforced errors against 11 winners. Not exactly clay-court tennis! I wonder how Landsorp's coaching of hard, penetrating ground-strokes work on the topspin....moonballing surface such as clay???

tennissavy
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Sorry Agassi, Mirage is correct. Sharapova lost to Suarez at the 2004 Roland Garros. She made many many errors; she hit beyond the baseline a lot from what I recall. She could win that grand slam though, as she normally hits very deep shots consistently, which is the way to play on clay.

Serendipitous
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Maria Sharapova has the best chance of winning the French Open besides defending champion Anastasia Myskina. Sharapova made it all the way to the semis last year where she lost to Elena Dementieva. Ever since Wimbledon she has done well excpet for the U.S. Open (3rd round loss to Mary Pierce). She could have won the Austrailian Open if Serena hadn't saved those three match points in the third set. She plays well on clay and has a good mindset. If she plays like she did in Melbourne, she can say hello to another Grand Slam.

Yeah, right....

Steffi-forever
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, right....

Maria Sharapova will never win Roland Garros.

lilxjohnyy
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
thread is 4 years old...

MarrratSafin
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
thread is 4 years old...

ROFL! 10 chars

FedSampras1
11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Sharapova GS:

Wimbleon 2004
US Open 2006
AO 2008

RG 2010 ???

Serendipitous
11-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Sharapova GS:

Wimbleon 2004
US Open 2006
AO 2008

RG 2010 ???

Interesting.....

boredone3456
11-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Sharapova GS:

Wimbleon 2004
US Open 2006
AO 2008

RG 2010 ???

Doubt it. She is not great on clay at all and with Henin and Clijsters both returning to the French Open picture her already slim odds become even more so.