PDA

View Full Version : Crosses breaking first due to technique

vagabond
02-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I think 95% of people have mains break before crosses, but for some reason my crosses are breaking first. I just started tennis last September, and I've been hitting with a wilson tour 90 currently strung with alu 16L/Nxt 16 (crosses). I've noticed that the crosses shift upwards towards the head of the racquet, and the mains don't shift at all, even though i'm hitting with topspin. I've included a picture to illustrate the point. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to correct it?

http://i39.tinypic.com/16ntqb.jpg

samster
02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
the NXT is simply not as durable as the ALU.

vagabond
02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
the NXT is simply not as durable as the ALU.

I strung with just 1 type of string last time and the same thing happened.

sukivan
02-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I strung with just 1 type of string last time and the same thing happened.

was it NXT as well? because NXT is notorious for breaking after like 10 minutes.

mistapooh
02-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, what ends up happening is that as you brush up, the mains cut deep and scrapes the cross. You're fine.

oneguy21
02-07-2009, 09:28 AM
NXT isn't a durable string. To string it in the crosses with a polyester in the mains is a guarantee that'll break soon.

Whenever you're hybrid stringing put the poly in the crosses if you want your gut/synthetic/multi to last.

vagabond
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
NXT isn't a durable string. To string it in the crosses with a polyester in the mains is a guarantee that'll break soon.

Whenever you're hybrid stringing put the poly in the crosses if you want your gut/synthetic/multi to last.

got it...thanks!

LeeD
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Or increase tension by 5, the strings don't shift, and they don't break nearly as fast.

Nellie
02-07-2009, 11:28 AM
to answer your question, your crosses will move like that if you are late and hit behind you. Imagine that if you hold the racquet straight at your side. If you hit early, with the racquet out front, the force of the ball contacting the strings will push the strings down toward the handle. Now, if you hold the racquet out behind you at an angle, the force of the ball will push the strings out, toward the racquet edge. If you have shaky timing (early and late) the strings will be pushed back and forth, causing the crosses to break.

vagabond
02-08-2009, 06:19 AM
to answer your question, your crosses will move like that if you late and behind you. Imagine that if you hold the racquet straight at your side. If you hit early, with the racquet out front, the force of the ball contacting the strings will push the strings down toward the handle. Now, if you hold the racquet out behind you at an angle, the force of the ball will push the strings out, toward the racquet edge. If you have shaky timing (early and late) the strings will be pushed back and forth, causing the crosses to break.

yeah, I agree with what you're saying. I think my timing is often late. Will take time to correct this.

albino smurf
02-08-2009, 06:35 AM
I had a similair issue and sped up my preparation with the focus on correct and efficient footwork versus speeding up my takeback FWIW. At first I thought I wasn't getting the racquet back quick enough because of the K0s weight, but after a little while I realized that it was much easier and better for my form if I popped into my position quickly instead of bringing the racquet back quicker or speeding up parts of my strokes.

reomi
02-08-2009, 07:00 PM

I can't say I agree with this advice. If you're gut/multi/synth is in the mains, it will be moving back and forth across the poly which will saw right through it. Plus the play of the hybrid will be different since now the poly imparts less of its characteristics being in the crosses.

What tension have you strung at? How long after a new string job does this begin to occur? How long do your strings last? Have you considered string savers?

I agree with the late contact point issue. A good thing to mimic from the top pros is watching the ball to contact and keep looking at the contact point after the swing has completed. If you can work on this much of your timing and control issues will diminsh.