PDA

View Full Version : hitting a 1h backhand down the line

gangster33
02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
how do i hit a 1h bh DTL? I can hit it cross court but how do i hit dtl ?

ronalditop
02-07-2009, 04:07 PM
to me its easier to hit a ohbh dtl than crosscourt. it feels more natural for me.

certifiedjatt
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
the key is to hit it late, i.e., let it come closer to your body than what you would normally do

...it can't be taught. just comes from repetition to get the timing right.

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I would not advise hitting the ball late... ever, you really want to hit the ball earlier on a DTL.

For DTL, you want to hit straight on the ball and skin the ball from 6' to 12' (clock face analogy). Use a rising socket style BH, where you lift the racquet from the shoulder and "throw" the racquet toward the target... finish is straight in front, shoulder aimed DTL.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/blake.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/fed-1.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/122958692_be9536f811.jpg

halalula1234
02-07-2009, 04:46 PM
to me its easier to hit a ohbh dtl than crosscourt. it feels more natural for me.

me 2 :D dtl give me like this satisfaction when i hit it idk why i just love the sound and the way the ball flies :P

tennisguy49
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
1 handed backhands are sexy..mmm

Joe Average
02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Are you asking about an approach shot? First, you'll need a ball for which you can step into. Somewhat short. And remember, that part of the net is higher, and the court (the target) is shorter. So there's little margin for error. You'll need some confidence in your backhand. (A one-hand backhand approach is best accomplished with a slice.) If you are coming to the net, you want to keep the ball deep, to minimize your opponent's angles. If you're going to stay at the baseline, be prepared to run like heck because you've just left yourself open for a crosscourt reply.

LeeD
02-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Slightly more turn than crosscourt, but stay closed thru the stroke, and don't finish/followthru behind your head, instead sorta towards DTL.
Some players like to slice DTL and Top crosscourt, just natural kinetics.

tennisfa
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
this might sound stupid...but it works for me...
search videos of federer hitting down the line backhands, keep watching it until you can see it with your eyes closed...then go try it on the court

Sovereignty
02-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Also, your body positioning is HUGE. Make sure to make your body more parallel to the doubles ally when trying to hit down the line.

junbumkim
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I would not advise hitting the ball late... ever, you really want to hit the ball earlier on a DTL.

For DTL, you want to hit straight on the ball and skin the ball from 6' to 12' (clock face analogy). Use a rising socket style BH, where you lift the racquet from the shoulder and "throw" the racquet toward the target... finish is straight in front, shoulder aimed DTL.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/blake.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/fed-1.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/122958692_be9536f811.jpg

Contact point for DTL line is later than cross court for any shot.

Jimmyk459
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
square your shoulders down the line instead of the more angled cross court. it is all about shoulder positioning.

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Contact point for DTL line is later than cross court for any shot.

Not true... timing is more selective depending on the height of the ball... as for CC or DTL, you should always hit with full extension, creating length between you and the ball.

gangster33
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
when i watch federer hit dtl, it looks like he just blocks the ball.
Arn't you meant to move the wrist as you strike the ball, or is your wrist meant to be locked and your racquet parallel to the net??

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
when i watch federer hit dtl, it looks like he just blocks the ball.
Arn't you meant to move the wrist as you strike the ball, or is your wrist meant to be locked and your racquet parallel to the net??

Firm wrist, racquet parallel with net.

junbumkim
02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Not true... timing is more selective depending on the height of the ball... as for CC or DTL, you should always hit with full extension, creating length between you and the ball.

Hvae you ever practiced hitting sharp cross court angle shots? Didn't your coach tell you that you have to hit it MORE OUT IN FRONT?

No one is talking about followthrough or extension here. Contact point for DTL is alway behind that of cross court. Obviously you can still pull off cross court, but it becomes that much harder.

I will just give you simple example, when you make a late contact even with a full extension, where do you see the ball going? I think answer to this question will suffice.

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Hvae you ever practiced hitting sharp cross court angle shots? Didn't your coach tell you that you have to hit it MORE OUT IN FRONT?

No one is talking about followthrough or extension here. Contact point for DTL is alway behind that of cross court. Obviously you can still pull off cross court, but it becomes that much harder.

I will just give you simple example, when you make a late contact even with a full extension, where do you see the ball going? I think answer to this question will suffice.

No worries... you hit it like you want. Me, I'm going to hit what works for me.

The higher the ball the more out in front. CC or DTL... full extension, always if possible. You never want to hit the ball late on purpose.

Tennisman912
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Gangster,

The reason most find the cross court 1HBH easier is they open up the shoulders too soon all the time and they can get away with it if they go cross court. Look at the photos in this thread and notice a few things. First look at how fed in the bottom picture has his shoulder perpendicular to the net right down his target line. He has not opened his shoulders too soon and thus can hit it effectively up the line. Second, your back arm must be used effectively to help keep your shoulders from opening too soon. Extend it back through the stroke. I can’t say exactly where because it varies some from person to person. Third, keep your head down on the contact point. No peeking. Practice until it is second nature.

Good luck

TM

Fay
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I learned through practice .... Coach would hit balls and yell out "cross court" or on another "down the line" .... and let my body figure things out through practice ... he never told me how to hit them, just told me to do it .... a lot of the things people wrote are correct, but I find when I play matches that I cannot think through things that fast and would prefer to trust my body to do what I imagine in my mind and bring forth what I practiced. It took me a number of years of figure skating instruction before I figured out that my body works better with visual examples and imagery than with technical instruction. So I transfered that to tennis and I imagine seeing a player do the shot I want in my mind and let my body fill in the in-between.

sukivan
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
think of it as a little more "down to up" and less "left to right" than hitting cross court. this will also help put more spin and height on the ball, which is useful when you are hitting over the higher part of the net into a shorter target area.
edit: as other posters have mentioned, its very important that you get full extension on all of your shots

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I learned through practice .... Coach would hit balls and yell out "cross court" or on another "down the line" .... and let my body figure things out through practice ... he never told me how to hit them, just told me to do it .... a lot of the things people wrote are correct, but I find when I play matches that I cannot think through things that fast and would prefer to trust my body to do what I imagine in my mind and bring forth what I practiced. It took me a number of years of figure skating instruction before I figured out that my body works better with visual examples and imagery than with technical instruction. So I transfered that to tennis and I imagine seeing a player do the shot I want in my mind and let my body fill in the in-between.

Very good. Thank you, Fay.

Ballinbob
02-07-2009, 09:26 PM
use a closed stance and make sure your racket is perpendicular to the baseline.

Slicendicer
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
use a closed stance and make sure your racket is perpendicular to the baseline.

Hey Bob, not being a smartass... but perpendicular is 90 degrees. Do you mean to say at takeback the racquet is perpendicular? You are correct, sir.

The finish should be racquet parallel with the baseline/net.

certifiedjatt
02-09-2009, 05:01 AM

it isn't.
you swing your racket in a circular motion, imagine sweeping the floor using your backhand stroke. actually, do it. take your hand and make a sweeping motion on the floor to prove that you do swing in a circle. now, have some roll a ball on the floor as you're making the sweeping motion, and let yourself make contact with it naturally, without directing the ball. you'll notice that the later you hit it, the more straight the ball's path is.

certifiedjatt
02-09-2009, 05:03 AM

i actually hate instruction. i've taken only two lessons in my life, both of which were a diagnosis. i learn exactly the way you do. but sometimes, after watching someone hit a stroke a hundred times and imagining, it, you begin to detect certain patterns in their shot--which you undoubtedly do as well.

one of the patterns is that hitting the ball late will get you a DTL result, holding everything else constant.

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 05:09 AM
it isn't.
you swing your racket in a circular motion, imagine sweeping the floor using your backhand stroke. actually, do it. take your hand and make a sweeping motion on the floor to prove that you do swing in a circle. now, have some roll a ball on the floor as you're making the sweeping motion, and let yourself make contact with it naturally, without directing the ball. you'll notice that the later you hit it, the more straight the ball's path is.

Don't recommend hitting the ball late, someone might follow this advice and tear up their shoulder. If that works for you, fine... but it is not good advice.

DTL BH is not circular... it is all low to high.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 07:52 AM
No worries... you hit it like you want. Me, I'm going to hit what works for me.

The higher the ball the more out in front. CC or DTL... full extension, always if possible. You never want to hit the ball late on purpose.

But you DO want to hit the ball LATER than if you were going cross-court. I suspect that's what most people mean when they say late.

Matt

Nellie
02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I prefer the think about leading with the handle for down the line versus leading the head for cross court (not hitting early or late).

Also, think about your extended hitting zone - you should be hitting through that ball and the 1 foot before and after the ball in the desired direction. That way, you can focus on the racquet swingpath and not the racquet face.

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
But you DO want to hit the ball LATER than if you were going cross-court. I suspect that's what most people mean when they say late.

Matt

Yeah, I get it... I disagree. My philosophy is to hit the ball with full extension at all times. How I direct the ball CC or DTL is:

where I hit "the ball", not "where" I hit the ball. Hitting late or "later" is only necessary to the height of the ball. If the ball is knee-high, my contact zone is "closer" than if I hit a ball shoulder high, regardless of where I'm directing the ball.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I get it... I disagree. My philosophy is to hit the ball with full extension at all times. How I direct the ball CC or DTL is:

where I hit "the ball", not "where" I hit the ball. Hitting late or "later" is only necessary to the height of the ball. If the ball is knee-high, my contact zone is "closer" than if I hit a ball shoulder high, regardless of where I'm directing the ball.

Once again, I agree. Was just clearing up what some posters might mean by this. Personally I look at my stance to determine where the balls going. As you know, the more closed, the easier it is to hit down the line.

Matt

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Once again, I agree. Was just clearing up what some posters might mean by this. Personally I look at my stance to determine where the balls going. As you know, the more closed, the easier it is to hit down the line.
Matt

Yeah.. probably... I seldom close my stance while exchanging groundstrokes. I usually close stance when it's time to hit the winner/approach shot... but this is just me. I taught open, semi-open, and closed stance FH and BH... kick out FH and BH... each shot with three finishes. The more "positions" you can hit a good ball from, the less likely you are to get buried in a point.

Sublime
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Firm wrist, racquet parallel with net.

[/thread]

If your BH is just you spinning around with the racket held out, then yes, the timing for your shot if very critical. So critical that I doubt any of us would have a lick of consistency. We'd be talking about a handful rotational degrees of difference between DTL and CC.... and spraying balls into the side fences.

You have to stack the deck in your favor and swing toward your target... this will keep your racket face in the correct orientation for a longer period of your stroke, giving you a bigger window for error.

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
[/thread]

If your BH is just you spinning around with the racket held out, then yes, the timing for your shot if very critical. So critical that I doubt any of us would have a lick of consistency. We'd be talking about a handful rotational degrees of difference between DTL and CC.... and spraying balls into the side fences.

You have to stack the deck in your favor and swing toward your target... this will keep your racket face in the correct orientation for a longer period of your stroke, giving you a bigger window for error.

DTL... target in front of you is racquet parallel to the net... thanks.

Ballinbob
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey Bob, not being a smartass... but perpendicular is 90 degrees. Do you mean to say at takeback the racquet is perpendicular? You are correct, sir.

The finish should be racquet parallel with the baseline/net.

That's what I meant lol. Sorry, I can see where your coming from though, that wouldn't make any sense