PDA

View Full Version : So what level is this famous musician?

Satch
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
it's Adrian Smith guitarist from Iron Maiden, he is a fan of the sport for a long time so i would like to see what do you guys think, he is playing with Harris in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCd90rXmUQ

Okazaki Fragment
02-07-2009, 07:18 PM
it's Adrian Smith guitarist from Iron Maiden, he is a fan of the sport for a long time so i would like to see what do you guys think, he is playing with Harris in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBCd90rXmUQ

Smith: 4.0/4.5
Camera man: 0.0

Satch
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
^yeah it's probably Gers :), what about Harris, from this serve i saw i could tell he is even better...

Sovereignty
02-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Thats pretty cool. Always fun to see someone doing something that you don't always expect them to be doing :)

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Anyone have vids of Gavin Rossdale actually hitting?

jasoncho92
02-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Seems like a 4.5 to me

Tempest344
02-08-2009, 03:59 AM
He's pretty good
I know Maiden are friends with Pat Cash

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 04:52 AM
3.5... maybe 4.0 at best.

raiden031
02-08-2009, 04:58 AM
not bad. Could be 3.5, 4.0, or better maybe. Technique sloppy though

Satch
02-08-2009, 06:37 AM
^no way 3.5 is too low for this... they seem 4.0 to me :D

LuckyR
02-08-2009, 11:31 AM
No way to tell, technically since they clearly are not playing "all out" but are playing at a very low level of intensity. My guess, based on their technique, though is that these guys are not "match tough" and would probably do worse in matchplay than their form would make you think.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
If he's 4.0 to you, then I'm easy 7.0 in your ratings.
My ratings, he's barely 2.5 tournament, possess's the MIND to get to 3.5, but his physical skills will probably limit him forever to no more than 3.5 tournament ON A GOOD day.
Geez, he's BAD as a tennis player.
He's HORRIBLE as an athlete.
He's GREAT, as a musician.

grizzly4life
02-08-2009, 11:44 AM
i'd say he's strong 3.5, weak 4.0ish (by real standards). take it up to mid-strong 4.0 by lax standards....... i'd say real 4.5's hit the ball alot better.

groundstrokes aren't that hard hit, but his play actually seems very solid (if that makes sense). probably taken alot of lessons.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope all you guys are right! I wish all your guys were right.
Unfortunately, I know some 4.5's who'd bagel him with an underhand serve. Guaranteed I'd bagel him with an underhand serve, if you allow me to hit left handed.
I'd get 4 games every set against him RIGHT handed.
If you guys are right, I'd enter a pro tournament right now and win it.
But alas, you are not right, and if I'd get my entry accepted, I'd lose first round in QUALIFYING!

Dennis Anyone?
02-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone have vids of Gavin Rossdale actually hitting?

http://x17video.com/celebrity_video/gavin_rossdale/x17_xclusive_gavin_rossdale_ho.php

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Ooh, so Rossdale is actually decent except for not getting much drive on his forehand.

jasoncho92
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
If he's 4.0 to you, then I'm easy 7.0 in your ratings.
My ratings, he's barely 2.5 tournament, possess's the MIND to get to 3.5, but his physical skills will probably limit him forever to no more than 3.5 tournament ON A GOOD day.
Geez, he's BAD as a tennis player.
He's HORRIBLE as an athlete.
He's GREAT, as a musician.
Thats why you have no idea what you are talking about.

On another note, my 4.5 was an over estimate because i just watched the first rally and wrote it haha. Seems more like a 4.0 but thats only if his shots are actually going in

Dennis Anyone?
02-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Should arrange a match between Adrian Smith and Lars Ulrich--son of Denmark's Torbin Ulrich--in a battle of the bands. Maiden versus Metallica for metal-tennis supremacy!

LeeD
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
No Jason, I'd wouldn't know from whence I speakest....
I can only beat 90% of you on this forum, that's all. Especially all of you who think he's anywhere near 3.5.
How many of you played over 15 OPEN events in the metropolitan area? How many of you went 4 and 5 rounds the two years you tried to qualify for a pro event?
If you even glance at that out of shape, bad footwork, slow moving, and bad hitting musician, you'll know he's barely 2.5 tournament level.
Around the SFBayArea, there are 40 year olds playing 4.5's who used to be #2 at CalBerkeley, one 45 year old who was #1 and SanLuisObispo, and they never stopped playing tennis.
Maybe from hookey funoky where you live he's close to 3.5, but here in a city, he'd get beat by anyone in his 2nd year of tennis who applied himself.

Satch
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
i'd say he's strong 3.5, weak 4.0ish (by real standards). take it up to mid-strong 4.0 by lax standards....... i'd say real 4.5's hit the ball alot better.

groundstrokes aren't that hard hit, but his play actually seems very solid (if that makes sense). probably taken alot of lessons.

i think that you are right... i would like to see them play, because this was something late at night probably after some gig.

raiden031
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I can only beat 90% of you on this forum, that's all. Especially all of you who think he's anywhere near 3.5.
How many of you played over 15 OPEN events in the metropolitan area? How many of you went 4 and 5 rounds the two years you tried to qualify for a pro event?
If you even glance at that out of shape, bad footwork, slow moving, and bad hitting musician, you'll know he's barely 2.5 tournament level.
Around the SFBayArea, there are 40 year olds playing 4.5's who used to be #2 at CalBerkeley, one 45 year old who was #1 and SanLuisObispo, and they never stopped playing tennis.
Maybe from hookey funoky where you live he's close to 3.5, but here in a city, he'd get beat by anyone in his 2nd year of tennis who applied himself.

How can you be so sure? A 2.5 is a pretty bad player. Clearly he's not a 2.5. How does playing open events qualify one for gauging low levels of play? Someone who plays 4.5 after playing at a good D1 school is a sandbagger, not a true representation of the level of play.

Satch
02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
some nice text http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19980927/ai_n14182637/pg_1?tag=content;col1

as you can see he used to hit with Cash, former W champion so he can't be so bad :-?

Satch
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
haha come on people leave that clown alone...

post some more videos if you find of famous playing tennis i have heard that the biggest fan out there is David Duchovny or Fox Mulder :D

ttbrowne
02-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Ya know, Lee, You really sound like the Christian Bale of tennis in the above rant.

equinox
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Probably 3.5

OnyxZ28
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjP82KOtreE

Steve Nash plays tennis too -- but in the vid we only get to see a few strokes. He's got game!

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Whoah steve nash is pretty good

halalula1234
02-09-2009, 02:08 AM
woa a conti grip ?

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 04:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Lars Ulrich of Metallica was the #1 junior in Canada... can anybody substantiate this? :)

randomname
02-09-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm not sure if he was #1 but I know he was a top ranked junior

LeeD
02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Remember, I still say I'm a solid 4.0 player.
And when you guys play tennis for 35 years, spending at least 4 of them playing 4-6 hours a day, 6 days a week, maybe you'll have a little better perspective on who's good at tennis, and who never will be any good.
It would be ridiculous for someone my level, 4.0 to even consider playing that guy. I would serve right handed (but it's not a bad serve), and never run and beat that guy easily.
Like I mentioned before, I don't play out in the sticks where a beginner can claim he's a 4.5 or whatever. I play in a major metropolitan area where ringers exist everywhere. And a current SOLID 4.5 can take games from Open players (but still lose mostly 1 and 1).
That guy on the vid is a 2.5 player anywhere there are more than 50 tennis players. He can claim 3.0 if he wins a 2.5 tournament. He can claim 3.5 if he can WIN a 3.0 tournament. But that is never gonna happen.
I'm not a good player, but compared to him, I might as well ask him if I can sit in and play lead guitar !!

dr325i
02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
And when you guys play tennis for 35 years, spending at least 4 of them playing 4-6 hours a day, 6 days a week, maybe you'll have a little better perspective on who's good at tennis, and who never will be any good.
It would be ridiculous for someone my level, 4.0 to even consider playing that guy. I would serve right handed (but it's not a bad serve), and never run and beat that guy easily.
Like I mentioned before, I don't play out in the sticks where a beginner can claim he's a 4.5 or whatever. I play in a major metropolitan area where ringers exist everywhere. And a current SOLID 4.5 can take games from Open players (but still lose mostly 1 and 1).
That guy on the vid is a 2.5 player anywhere there are more than 50 tennis players. He can claim 3.0 if he wins a 2.5 tournament. He can claim 3.5 if he can WIN a 3.0 tournament. But that is never gonna happen.
I'm not a good player, but compared to him, I might as well ask him if I can sit in and play lead guitar !!

Did not read many of your previous posts -- where are you located?

raiden031
02-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Well I'm a benchmark 4.0 player, which means my rating is fairly accurate within the USTA computer system, and I don't think the musician in the video looks as weak as you say.

And I have competed at two USTA Nationals league events and will say that when it comes to *computer-rated* players, there is not a huge discrepancy (if any at all) across different regions. In fact most of it lies within self-rated players, but that is meaningless since their rating will be adjusted accordingly at the end of the year. So a 4.5 league player that is good enough to be competitive in Open tournaments will probably get moved up to 5.0 at the end of the year because 4.5 league players are not supposed to be that good.

Do you even play in the USTA men's leagues and have a legit computer rating or are you just self-rating yourself? You don't seem to know what you're talking about because you keep talking about NTRP tournaments, which are more meaningless in terms of rating than NTRP leagues. In other words in NTRP leagues there is more pressure to rate downward because you are competing with your own teammates to get playing time, and captains want to win and advance to the post-season. At tournaments it is individual and so it doesn't matter to anyone if you lose, and so you might play at a level with tougher competition rather than at a level where you will dominate. So a tournament is more likely to have players who overrated themselves than a league is.

GeorgeLucas
02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Replace "this famous musician" with "my friend" in the title and you wouldn't find a number higher than 3.5

GRANITECHIEF
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
http://x17video.com/celebrity_video/gavin_rossdale/x17_xclusive_gavin_rossdale_ho.php

Classic that he's got Landsdorp helping him shore up his game.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Raiden, you are obsessed with semantics and ratings.
Forget all your #'s and guess's.
I played Open and pro qualifiers like 30 years ago. My serve dropped maybe 20 mph, but I'm still lefty and one bounce my first serves higher than hip high.
My second serves make an audible "hissing" sound, because I swing much faster for it than my first serves.
I can volley.
I can put away any overhead that lands within 4' of the service line, or closer of course.... in singles, any level.
My second serves, in a match, are about 98 out of 100, and go to your backhand, your forehand, or into your body whenever I decide to hit it there.
Lots of 6.0 players who visit our courts ask me to hit serves to them, for the lefty practice.
No, I cannot keep up on groundies.
My speed is maybe 1/2 that of 30 years ago, so I can't cover within 3' of either sideline, if I plan to recover and continue competitively.
I was ranked in the top 15 in B's like 1978.
So now, after playing 30 more years, learning a little, hitting a little more than then, I'm 4.0.
Ya dink?

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
4.0 .. the camera man is bad.. or he could easily make him look like a 4.5 with good editing :)

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
LeeD.. you are good :)
but, lets keep this thread to the level of this famous musician.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Are you serious?
Dat guy is BAD! As a tennis player.
He's out of shape. He's slow footed. He moves like an iquana. He has no racket speed. He has remedial strokes AT BEST.
Maybe he's had lots of good coaching, so can play an all court game. Big deal, just drop and lob him 3 times, and he goes back to the bench for O2.
I say, 2.5 until he wins a tournament. 3.0 if we're charitable.
To say he's close to 3.5 tournament is ridculous. Around here, he'd get blown off double bagel every time.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
And 4.5?
That's preposterous!
4.5 is Div11 and 111 singles. Maybe not 1-4, but certainly lower levels.
It's an affront to all my friends and me, who've played and practiced tennis for all these years, to even consider that guy close to 4.0.
Most 4.0's practiced at least 3 hours a day, 5 days a week minimum for 3 years.
That guy, out of shape, bad athlete, couldn't have practiced ONE FOURTH that much.
OK, I played guitar ONCE in my life for 2 minutes. I should be his lead guitarist because I look like I know how to hold the guitar :shock:

RoddickAce
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd say 3.0 -3.5, his footwork is kinda off. He kind of just stands there and then runs to the ball instead of getting on his toes and stuff. This is a 3.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyXFqi4m8Y

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
he is a musician.. they are playing at night. he probably has had a few drinks since the morning, and maybe a few joints too, and throw in the occasional groupie.. considering that .. he is doing pretty good :)

RoddickAce
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
he is a musician.. they are playing at night. he probably has had a few drinks since the morning, and maybe a few joints too, and throw in the occasional groupie.. considering that .. he is doing pretty good :)

True, he probably can play at a higher level, but IMO he didn't show it in that video. And he doesn't need to show it, he doesn't need to prove anything! He's proven himself to be a good musician, that's good enough!

raiden031
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Raiden, you are obsessed with semantics and ratings.
Forget all your #'s and guess's.
I played Open and pro qualifiers like 30 years ago. My serve dropped maybe 20 mph, but I'm still lefty and one bounce my first serves higher than hip high.
My second serves make an audible "hissing" sound, because I swing much faster for it than my first serves.
I can volley.
I can put away any overhead that lands within 4' of the service line, or closer of course.... in singles, any level.
My second serves, in a match, are about 98 out of 100, and go to your backhand, your forehand, or into your body whenever I decide to hit it there.
Lots of 6.0 players who visit our courts ask me to hit serves to them, for the lefty practice.
No, I cannot keep up on groundies.
My speed is maybe 1/2 that of 30 years ago, so I can't cover within 3' of either sideline, if I plan to recover and continue competitively.
I was ranked in the top 15 in B's like 1978.
So now, after playing 30 more years, learning a little, hitting a little more than then, I'm 4.0.
Ya dink?

And all this matters because? I don't get what you're trying to say. You act like you are such an acccomplished player and that you are also a 4.0 player. A 4.0 player is not an accomplished player but really just a player that is starting to demonstrate an advanced level of play.

You seem to babble alot about nothing. Whether I'm right or wrong, at least I have some background to support my claims. How well you can serve has no bearing on the guy's NTRP in the video.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
NO bearing...
But actually, it has HUGE bearing. I know how to serve. I serve hard and consistent thru 30 years of tennis shelflife.
I've seen the best serves, including ColDibley's from 100' away. I've returned some top 10 pro player serves.
YOU, however, might not have done any of the above, so how can you say that musician has any kind of game or serve?
I played guys who became to 10's the following year.
This musician, at best, is top 10 in the 3.0's, and that's from a weak draw.

raiden031
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
NO bearing...
But actually, it has HUGE bearing. I know how to serve. I serve hard and consistent thru 30 years of tennis shelflife.
I've seen the best serves, including ColDibley's from 100' away. I've returned some top 10 pro player serves.
YOU, however, might not have done any of the above, so how can you say that musician has any kind of game or serve?
I played guys who became to 10's the following year.
This musician, at best, is top 10 in the 3.0's, and that's from a weak draw.

Well I bet if you asked Federer what a 4.5 player looks like, he will probably tell you he doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. So the fact that you have returned serves from top 10 pros is irrelevant to the discussion. There is no requirement to have pro-like game in order to be a 4.0. There are 4.0s who seem good and those who seem bad through video analysis, but they are still competitive with one another. I've played with players who have computer ratings of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5. There is no guarantee that a 4.0 or 4.5 have amazing strokes on video, and there might be cases where a 3.5 looks better than a 4.5 on video.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Absolutely agree some 3.0's can look better than some 4.5's....
But not this guy. He's out of shape. He lumbers along like a big lizard, not like a tennis player. His strokes or close, but off for sure. He has no explosiveness in his step.
He does know a little about strategy and movement. But physically, no chance.
He's a great musician. Sure, but that doesn't translate to decent tennis player.

Satch
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Replace "this famous musician" with "my friend" in the title and you wouldn't find a number higher than 3.5

ahaa i would like to be that way :D

anyway this guy is 52y old so for sure that he is slow on the court, but still solid 3.5 maybe even 4.0, like somebody said good editing could make him even a 4.5 i don't know the conditions that this was filmed, maybe after a lot of booze...