02-08-2009, 06:49 AM
No, it isn't.

mozzer
02-08-2009, 06:58 AM
No where near, closer to 80.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 07:13 AM
The tribe has spoken. :)

P.S. Signed up for Vimeo....... footwork and serves to come from yesterday's practice.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 07:27 AM
One easy way to tell within maybe 15mph....
If your serves goes into the service box good, and it bounces into the backdrop 20' behind the baseline around thigh/waist high, it's a good bet it's over 110mph.
Your serve bounces about 5' before the backdrop, needing TWO bounces to hit the backdrop.
Like someone said, maybe closer to 80mph.
Now, abrasive courts, the ball bounces HIGHER!
Slick worn concrete courts, the ball skids and bounces lower.
Carpet high. HarTru high. Clay high.
Grass usually low.

J011yroger
02-08-2009, 07:30 AM
One easy way to tell within maybe 15mph....
If your serves goes into the service box good, and it bounces into the backdrop 20' behind the baseline around thigh/waist high, it's a good bet it's over 110mph.
Your serve bounces about 5' before the backdrop, needing TWO bounces to hit the backdrop.
Like someone said, maybe closer to 80mph.
Now, abrasive courts, the ball bounces HIGHER!
Carpet high. HarTru high. Clay high.
Grass usually low.

If I post video and radar of me hitting the back wall waist high at 70mph will you stop posting this?

J

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 07:34 AM
If I post video and radar of me hitting the back wall waist high at 70mph will you stop posting this?

J

Meh... the gauntlet has been drawn.... LOL

JavierLW
02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
No where near, closer to 80.

I concur.

Two of my serves were clocked by a radar gun once at a club at 84, and because I didnt want to look foolish I took it "easy", and I think the serves looked pretty much like this one.

I tryed to imagine returning it and tryed to consider how much time I would have versus just watching the ball go across the screen.

It's always hard to tell on video because you're watching the ball travel across a tiny little area on your screen which always makes it appear slower then it really is.

Imagine when you watch the pros on TV, it's like you can actually watch the ball go across the screen. Yet when you are there in person or even worse trying to return it, you wont feel like you have any time.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Jolly Roger....
We already KNOW that a second serve, hit with topspin, travelling 72 mph (:):)), can hit the backdrop AS HIGH as a first serve.
And when you stand in the rafters on the roof of the building, you can hit 20 mph serves and bounce it higher than chest high :)
And you can use low altitude balls at 7,000 feet and bounce it high at very low service speeds.
And you can hit a tennis ball out of an airplane up at 2,000' and TAP the ball, it bounces higher than waist high.

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Jolly Roger....
We already KNOW that a second serve, hit with topspin, travelling 72 mph (:):)), can hit the backdrop AS HIGH as a first serve.
And when you stand in the rafters on the roof of the building, you can hit 20 mph serves and bounce it higher than chest high :)
And you can use low altitude balls at 7,000 feet and bounce it high at very low service speeds.
And you can hit a tennis ball out of an airplane up at 2,000' and TAP the ball, it bounces higher than waist high.

Actually if drop a tennis ball from 10ft and one from 2,000ft they will travel at the same speed.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
No matter!
Point is, a topspin serve bounces higher. That serve is hit with some topspin, and needs two bounces to ever get near the backdrop.
And if the server is taller, the ball bounces higher. Looks to me OP has the height to bounce balls really high. I'd guess close to 5'11", like me.
And his ball travels really slow:confused: looking like one of my slower second serves in ball speed. Mine 80% bounce to the backdrop on one bounce...my SECOND serve.

Gee Willikers Batman!
02-08-2009, 07:56 AM
No matter!
Point is, a topspin serve bounces higher. That serve is hit with some topspin, and needs two bounces to ever get near the backdrop.
And if the server is taller, the ball bounces higher. Looks to me OP has the height to bounce balls really high. I'd guess close to 5'11", like me.
And his ball travels really slow:confused: looking like one of my slower second serves in ball speed. Mine 80% bounce to the backdrop on one bounce...my SECOND serve.

Didn't you say you were in your 30's or 40's? Why is an adult picking on younger kids about their serve speeds. Leave him be.

J011yroger
02-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Jolly Roger....

Right, so it is a really lame way to calculate serve speed.

If you can watch the video, you can count the frames.

J

LeeD
02-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Geewillikers, I'm 59 and 11 months, 25 days :):)
How am I picking on the OP? Didn't he ask about his service speed? Wouldn't a guy who competed in 3 official fast speed contests have some opinions? Wouldn't a guy who faced DickStockton's, JaoroSouras's, GilHoward's, RockyMcQuire's, KevinCurran's, and a host of other A, or Open and Div 1 college players have some opinions?
You might even dink I might know a little at least level with a high school player nowadaze.
You know, like maybe I practiced tennis 5 hours a day, 6 days a week for my first 4 years. Like maybe double what the average high school poster here practices?

LeeD
02-08-2009, 08:06 AM
JollyRoger...
Don't need to count notdin to know it's a SLOW topspin serve. And if you even think it's flat... it's even slower!

SaunderS
02-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Just to let you all know, that video isnt me. its someones who claims its 100mph+.

SirBlend12
02-08-2009, 08:16 AM
This is a little unnecessary, guys. Let the kid be.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 08:20 AM
We are not picking on the OP!
Just simple no and WHY we say no.
Every one of us have served slow and weak before we get the technique, the strength, or the will to serve fast. It's a learning experience, just like the game of tennis.
The more serves we hit, the faster and more consistent it goes.... up to a point, of course.
None of the above were PERSONAL attacks.

Slicendicer
This is a little unnecessary, guys. Let the kid be.

+1

Most of you "100 MPH" servers are likely dreaming... **** the naysayers, Peter!

Petekbladetour1
No, and he looks like a moron...

Cheers... thats me in the vid

J011yroger
02-08-2009, 08:26 AM

Props to you for taking it in stride.

J

LeeD
02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I said your overall technique is solid, you have good movement into the court, you turn well just before striking the ball, and the motion is solid.
I suspect it's gonna be really hard to up the service speed until your body fully grows. Not sure on this one, but seems every 13-16 year old, no matter how tall or athletic, just seems loosy goosy flailing motion without any discipline.
More practice time will take care of that problem.

julianoz
02-08-2009, 08:29 AM

well this is awkward

SirBlend12
02-08-2009, 08:33 AM
+1

I wouldn't take it THAT far. Most of these guys have posted videos, but to start a thread to disprove a 14 yo kid is a little low. Is not it better to have such a fervent desire to blast a ball 100+ than to admit defeat? The discussion has been argued in several threads now... time to let this go.

Props to you for taking it in stride.

J

Quite true. At least there are the few of us (you, myself, Slice) that care more about honing our own skills than judging (excessively) those of others.

Keep on keepin', Peter.

Moz
02-08-2009, 08:48 AM
+1

You do realise it is a public poll don't you? You voted no.

Petekbladetour1
02-08-2009, 08:48 AM
thanks. I will be posting some evidence about the serve being 100mph in a little while.

Jonnyf
02-08-2009, 08:55 AM
thanks. I will be posting some evidence about the serve being 100mph in a little while.

Please do. I'd gladly apologize if you prove that you can hit 100mph+

Haha, 5000'th post ;-)

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 08:57 AM

J

Please do. Would love to see your service technique. Will post mine as well, modeled after the big man himself. :)

Matt

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Consider this: overconfidence.

FYI, most male club players think they're at the 100+ mark.

All the best,

Matt

SaunderS
02-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Pete, whens the video coming?

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
OP voted yes without measuring first. This is gonna be good. Poping some popcorn right now for this one.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 09:10 AM
+1

Video to come. Don't be so quick to judge, please. I'm telling you this as a friend.

Got a compliment from an ex college player about my serve yesterday. Got a new hitting partner as well. Coincedence?

All the best,

Matt

Petekbladetour1
02-08-2009, 09:36 AM

tháts the court i was playing on

RoddickAce
02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't take it THAT far. Most of these guys have posted videos, but to start a thread to disprove a 14 yo kid is a little low. Is not it better to have such a fervent desire to blast a ball 100+ than to admit defeat? The discussion has been argued in several threads now... time to let this go.

Quite true. At least there are the few of us (you, myself, Slice) that care more about honing our own skills than judging (excessively) those of others.

Keep on keepin', Peter.

Nice post, very objective and logical.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Those are the kind of courts I usually play on... RoseGarden,BerkeleyCa.
North end, it's 21' from baseline to backdrop.
Yesterday was sunny and 60 degrees. Using older, but very fuzzy balls, all my first serves onebounced up around belt high. Couple up the T got mid chest heights. Flat serves with audible POP. Some wide flats out duece court (I'm lefty) hit over waist heights, and that's a longer distance.
I use dead strings on a Mfil 200 18x20 at 62 lbs.
I claim 110 or so mph.
30 odd years ago, 4 out of my 7 serves at over 128 in two of the fast serve contests.
So the BOUNCE of a flat serve does detemine SOMEWHAT the actual speed of the serve. I"m 5'11".
I can bounce hard second serves higher, but the speed is maybe 30 mph slower, possibly even slower than that.
When I show up to play, NO one offers up new balls. Always old fuzzers. I break out new DunlopHardcourtChamps with Xtra nap. Everyone has trouble with my serves.
That's NOT a testement to my ability. I'm 4.0, with worse groundies. But the serve is what we're measuring here, and I'm no computer guy, but counting frames just don't work for me.

JavierLW
02-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Actually if drop a tennis ball from 10ft and one from 2,000ft they will travel at the same speed.

This has nothing at all to do with the post, but this is also not true.

They may begin at the same speed, but objects accelerate as they continue to fall toward the earth. So a tennis ball hitting the ground from 10 feet is moving MUCH slower then a tennis ball that hits the ground from 2000 feet. (you'd probably die if you were hit in the head by a tennis ball that fell from 2000 feet)

Maybe you're thinking of the general observation that two objects that weight different amounts fall at the same rate (unless they are influenced by friction).

Teamtomo
02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Hilarious.

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 10:53 AM
dude, im sorry, that just isn't 100mph. I think 80mph is a good estimate though.

ps-get new shorts.....now

Teamtomo
02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh and high socks on 3/4 length trousers.....

Uh-Oh

LeeD
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Variety is the spice of life.

sukivan
02-08-2009, 12:07 PM

They may begin at the same speed, but objects accelerate as they continue to fall toward the earth. So a tennis ball hitting the ground from 10 feet is moving MUCH slower then a tennis ball that hits the ground from 2000 feet. (you'd probably die if you were hit in the head by a tennis ball that fell from 2000 feet)

Maybe you're thinking of the general observation that two objects that weight different amounts fall at the same rate (unless they are influenced by friction).

its true that the 2000ft ball would be falling faster than the 10ft ball, but not by much. and to say it would kill you? :rolleyes: the ball is moving slower than a Roddick 1st serve after the bounce. I guess you're not familiar with the concept of terminal velocity. ;)

Petekbladetour1
02-08-2009, 12:26 PM
my cam frame was 30 frames per second. can anyone figure out the true speed then?

Andres
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
82.5 mph ;)

Petekbladetour1
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
are u sure? cant be

TokyopunK
02-08-2009, 01:18 PM
are u sure? cant be

you're right, its actually 82.48

Andres
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
are u sure? cant be
Yes, Pete. I am sure. Trust me, not 100 mph.

Jonnyf
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
you're right, its actually 82.48

What? :-o I got 82.47454 mph.

mozzer
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Andres you rock. Good guess by me too.

Petekbladetour1
02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
oh well. but i know iv prob got at least a 100mph wich has not been recorded

Andres
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
As far as we're concerned: No video = never happened.

RoddickAce
02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Btw, are you guys counting the average speed or the initial speed?

Noveson
02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Can't believe it after seeing that video. The form isn't even decent.

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 01:54 PM

http://regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys01/accgravi/index.htm

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Keep on keepin', Peter.

Exactly... I don't believe you can estimate serve speed from a video... and I don't believe most of the "100MPH Club" can actually serve 100MPH.

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Everyone with a good arm can serve 100mph.

It's how often you get it in that counts.

SaunderS
02-08-2009, 03:02 PM
so pete, still think 93% of us are wrong??

The_Steak
02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Pete, why don't you just admit that its not a 100 mph serve. Speed does not even matter that much at your age.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM

I can tell just by your poor technique that you've NEVER hit a serve that fast. Trust me, 100 MPH is MOVING.

Work on:

1. Tossing motion. Rhythm is terrible.

2. Extend tossing arm straight up towards the ceiling and keep it there as long as possible.

3. Weight transfer. Lead with the hip.

4. Driving UPWARDS with the legs. This is killing your power and you have a very low contact point as well.

If you work on the above you'll be serving 100 MPH in no time.

Best of luck,

Matt

WildVolley
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Unless that video is somehow freakishly slowed down, there's no way that's a 100mph serve.

For measuring serve speed, I'm still a fan of using a radar gun as I have trouble accurately counting partial frames and estimating angles when trying to frame count.

Don't worry about speed at that age. It's all about technique, and as you grow you'll naturally hit harder and harder.

J011yroger
02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Please do. Would love to see your service technique. Will post mine as well, modeled after the big man himself. :)

Matt

You haven't watched my serve videos? Been up for a while now.

J

mixertefera
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
wow anyone who vetoed yes must be high

NickC
02-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Not with your form, you don't. My highest is probably in the 110 MPH range. I have MUCH better form than you.

Note that I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just saying...

J

I've see 'em! In person! (and almost got pegged by one :wink:)

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
my camera is 30 frames per second too. so could you tell pretty accurately what my serve speed is then from this angle? im dying to know what it is... I like to think its roughly 100mph, but I have no idea. can someone refer to the site where I can find this out too? I've never heard of this...

Measure the serve at 1:27 in the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZHzYgYZXM8

RoddickAce
02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
my camera is 30 frames per second too. so could you tell pretty accurately what my serve speed is then from this angle? im dying to know what it is... I like to think its roughly 100mph, but I have no idea. can someone refer to the site where I can find this out too? I've never heard of this...

For those who want to use a framecounter to calculate this serve speed, you can download the file in .flv format using this website:http://keepvid.com/. I'm not sure if that format is supported with most video playing devices that have framcounters though.

Ballinbob, if you upload it to Vimeo, people can download the file in wmv or avi or something, so it will be easier to calculate the serve speed.

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
thanks roddick ace.ill post the vid on vimeo soon hopefully. i still need to make another serve vid for you guys to analyze...

mixertefera
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM

might be 100 but that net is jacked up

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
^^ Yes I know haha.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 07:30 PM

J

Been a little busy with my own serve. VERY confident that it's 100+ now though. Nice and relaxed with decent weight transfer. Will look for your vid now.

Matt

fluffy Beaver
02-08-2009, 07:52 PM

J

Jolly you have a nice serve, but what's with the guy returning? He doesn't even split step let alone even jiggle his feet what so ever, it's like he has lead for feet :oops:

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Neer Mind Wreong Thread

halalula1234
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM
no it looks more like a second serve really. 70-95?

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Now this is another serve with 30 fps. can somone figure out the speed of this onehttp://www.vimeo.com/3136042

Ambivalent
02-09-2009, 02:35 AM
That one doesnt even look like it was in.

J011yroger
02-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Jolly you have a nice serve, but what's with the guy returning? He doesn't even split step let alone even jiggle his feet what so ever, it's like he has lead for feet :oops:

He is my friend, one of the hardest flattest hitters around, and one of the like 3 people that I can hit full speed against in practice for an extended time. He mostly just hits for fun/exercise, but doesn't normally play over the winter. He called me up and said his neighbor had gotten him some free court time for helping with something, so it was basically the first time he had hit since fall.

The last 15 mins or so of our hitting session I just wanted to hit some nice easy serves to keep my timing, (It was waaaaay to cold in there for serving hard.) and of course I put it up on TW to please the masses.

J

J011yroger
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Also, I am going to fool around with it some more when I get home from work. But I am thinking that maybe the frame counter is a bit high on the predicting scale ;)

I ran it on the first ace in my ace reel video, and it came out to just over 125mph.

On an out wide serve with a 6'+ kick, when I promise you I was hitting 40-50% effort. That is some pretty high MPH reading. Maybe it is calibrated like that French Open speed gun of last (possibly 2 years ago) year.

Here is the picture at the apex of the bounce that the frame calc said was 125+.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2w357ro.jpg

So for now "The Jolly" is skeptical.

J

J011yroger
02-09-2009, 03:08 AM
P.S. The ball is just over the right netpost, just about to hit the backdrop.

Tough to see with the grainy photo if you don't know where it is.

J

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 03:11 AM
That one doesnt even look like it was in.

it was in. now can somone tell me how fast that is?

Thirteen
02-09-2009, 03:24 AM
it was in. now can somone tell me how fast that is?

ONE MILLION MILES AN HOUR!!!!!!!!

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Not with your form, you don't.

what does form mean? but i still know that my serve hits 100mph!

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 04:04 AM
what does form mean? but i still know that my serve hits 100mph!

Hi Peter... if you believe your serve is +100 MPH, thats all you need to know. I just wouldn't go around bragging about it... in reality, you are not serving that speed. Continue practicing the serve and stretching your shoulder, you WILL amp up the serve... I guarantee.

A few good exercise for strength and endurance for the shoulder are:

1. cobra to upward and downward facing dog:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/cobraandupdog.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/Downward_Facing_Dog_Enlarged.jpg

2. Ashtanga warmup poses salutations A and B: Stay in each position for 10 seconds and let your muscles accumulate some heat. Do not over stretch!
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/asd1270/SunSalutation-Colour-LR.jpg

3. Push-up position... hold for 20 seconds 5x.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 04:09 AM
is that yoga?
still no one has figured out the speed of the second serve :-(

Mike Cottrill
02-09-2009, 04:47 AM
Also, I am going to fool around with it some more when I get home from
On an out wide serve with a 6'+ kick, when I promise you I was hitting 40-50% effort. That is some pretty high MPH reading. Maybe it is calibrated like that French Open speed gun of last (possibly 2 years ago) year.

Here is the picture at the apex of the bounce that the frame calc said was 125+.
J

Nope, not jacked up unless you are at 5000 feet. Were is the link? Correct distance is key.. A little off and that can make a big difference.

Edit: It is hard to see because of the slow shutter being used, however First serve in the video is around 14 frames and a total guess of distance. at 60ft, that is 104mph. a few latter with down the line a little flatter serve comes in at ~13 frame and assume 59ft that is around 110mph. Looked like it might have hit the taped line and maybe that is why it bounced odd. And I add very ruff estimates because of the video and distance unknown.

How did you come up with 125??

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 05:03 AM
can somone please figure out the speed of this serve!http://www.vimeo.com/3136042

Mike Cottrill
02-09-2009, 05:34 AM
can somone please figure out the speed of this serve!http://www.vimeo.com/3136042

Your video has some issues. You can not see the ball hit the frame, and can not see it hit the court. It also says a frame rate of 28.571 fps which is very odd. Must be some sort of camera phone video.

Try using a better camera and better camera location so you can see both racquet contact and court contact.

Slicendicer
02-09-2009, 05:35 AM

Hi Peter... give it a rest, man. It's all good. The video is not going to accurately clock your serve speed. The clowns have spoken... the serve is NOT 100MPH. Don't let that get you down. Continue practicing and the "speed" will come later.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 05:46 AM
yeah okay maybe that serve in the vid is not a 100mph but i know that i CAN make 100mph servers. ill try and get them on vid next time i play. I ws just thinking since the fps is 28 and not 30 probably my seerve un the vid is faster than 82mph as everyone says

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 06:47 AM
yeah okay maybe that serve in the vid is not a 100mph but i know that i CAN make 100mph servers. ill try and get them on vid next time i play. I ws just thinking since the fps is 28 and not 30 probably my seerve un the vid is faster than 82mph as everyone says
O course you CAN, if you practice the right things and do so in an efficient manner. Read post #60 if you haven't already. I personally guarantee that it'll help you. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email as well, which can be found under my user name.

All the best,

Matt

Lotto
02-09-2009, 06:53 AM

And I can hit laser like 90 mph forehands and 80 mph backhands at will, serve 120mph aces out wide and flatten out the serve to hit 125-130mph aces down the T. I can also run 15mph(same speed as Federer according to his biography) and I can win 13 grand slam titles and cry after losing in the final of the Australian Open.............ERRRRR, NO!

Sorry bud, there's just no proof. But as I always say Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Sorry for being so hard but just no. No proof.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 06:54 AM
And I can hit laser like 90 mph forehands and 80 mph backhands at will, serve 120mph aces out wide and flatten out the serve to hit 125-130mph aces down the T. I can also run 15mph(same speed as Federer according to his biography) and I can win 13 grand slam titles and cry after losing in the final of the Australian Open.............ERRRRR, NO!

Sorry bud, there's just no proof. But as I always say Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Sorry for being so hard but just no. No proof.

Pfft, bring it on, son. My twist serves bounce into the next court!

Lotto
02-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Pfft, bring it on, son. My twist serves bounce into the next court!

I'd just use my killer forehand and kill them by you before they got a chance to move!!!lol

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I'd just use my killer forehand and kill them by you before they got a chance to move!!!lol

They're already moving because Chuck Norris gave them permission to bypass the service box altogether!

Lotto
02-09-2009, 07:42 AM
They're already moving because Chuck Norris gave them permission to bypass the service box altogether!

I lose!! lol

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM

I think the result of the serve speed calculations remains the same irrespective of the FPS with a higher +- error. It may be 83 mph instead of 82 mph.

I think you would be better off giving this a rest.. practice your serve more for a few months, improve your mechanics, get to 110+ mph and then post another video (clearer video that is..)

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I lose!! lol

6/0, 6/-1, 6/-2.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
ill ask my dad to buy a speed gun and ill vid myself while serving when ive got the speed gun. it might maybe take a month or so though :-(

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I think you would be better off giving this a rest.. practice your serve more for a few months, improve your mechanics, get to 110+ mph and then post another video (clearer video that is..)

i already know that my serve is at least a 100mph even though ive got no video proof. I dont care if u guys believe me or not. I know that i can serve 100 mph and that is what matters

BestLefty UK
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
i already know that my serve is at least a 100mph even though ive got no video proof. I dont care if u guys believe me or not. I know that i can serve 100 mph and that is what matters

And I know that my serve is at least 150mph but I don't care if you believe me or not and thats what matters. :roll:

Give it up you have no proof not just no video proof. You say that you think your serve was the same as people that serve 104mph but you can't be sure of that. You also say you measured your serve at 91mph but I even doubt that too. Until you have proof then you can't go around bragging about your non-existent 100+mph serve. Do you want to become the laughing stock of the forum? Cuz you're on your way

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
ill ask my dad to buy a speed gun and ill vid myself while serving when ive got the speed gun. it might maybe take a month or so though :-(

You're in for a serious reality check, FYI.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
hey a 100mph serve is reasnoble. a 150 mph serve is not!
the 91 mph radad gun reading is true and ive served loads of other serves that have been loads faster than the 91mph serve. i KNOW i can serve 100mph and thats THE END!
ill come with video proof next time i play and when i get a speed gun

LeeD
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
And at least ONE bounce your serve into the backdrop at least thigh high.
When I try to return serves in the over 130 range, it get DANGEROUS standing 2' behind the service line, as that ball usually gets to throat heights on higher bounces. And I have an excellent VOLLEY.
Some will say a 100 serve can bounce low. I AGREE, but it only goes in one out of 10 or so, and you don't have to worry about it.
When the first serve bounces really high, THEN YOU WORRY! Why? Consider this..... if that serve bounces HIGH, it means the contact point of the server is also high, meaning he gets it in more consistently, and you should now WORRY !!:twisted::twisted:

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 08:12 AM
hey a 100mph serve is reasnoble. a 150 mph serve is not!
the 91 mph radad gun reading is true and ive served loads of other serves that have been loads faster than the 91mph serve. i KNOW i can serve 100mph and thats THE END!
ill come with video proof next time i play and when i get a speed gun

Because 10 MPH is just sooooooooooooo easy to add to your serve, right?

I guess I should tell Andy Roddick that he should be serving 165 by now.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
i know ive added at least 10mph of the serve coz its much much faster now than it was when it was clocked at 91 mph

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
i know ive added at least 10mph of the serve coz its much much faster now than it was when it was clocked at 91 mph

Confidence is good. But a radar gun will not tell you "keep up the good work, buddy. I know you can do it".

Matt

smoothtennis
02-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Hey - you shouldn't care what these guys think about your serve speed. In fact, YOU shouldn't care either. You are getting good coaching, and your technique is developing, and so is your body, strength, and over all power ability. It's going to all develop for you just fine.

Forget the speed, I'm telling you. Just stay relaxed, loose and smooth so you get a good whip through the contact zone. The rest will come or may already be there sometimes.

If I or anyone here thinks your serve is 20mph, or 125mph, does it honestly change your serve speed or affect the serve? Nope.

The only thing that can change here is your mind, and the way you approach your serve. Stay relaxed, get smooth, and let that energy flow into the ball. You will not have to worry about your serve speed - it will follow with interest - trust me.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey - you shouldn't care what these guys think about your serve speed. In fact, YOU shouldn't care either. You are getting good coaching, and your technique is developing, and so is your body, strength, and over all power ability. It's going to all develop for you just fine.

Forget the speed, I'm telling you. Just stay relaxed, loose and smooth so you get a good whip through the contact zone. The rest will come or may already be there sometimes.

If I or anyone here thinks your serve is 20mph, or 125mph, does it honestly change your serve speed or affect the serve? Nope.

The only thing that can change here is your mind, and the way you approach your serve. Stay relaxed, get smooth, and let that energy flow into the ball. You will not have to worry about your serve speed - it will follow with interest - trust me.

This. True power is achieved effortlessly.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmSMJhIUqU

RoddickAce
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Nice post, btw imagine a few years from now how good he can become.

raiden031
02-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't know why people act like 100mph is so fast, when the pros can regularly hit 120s, 130s, and some even 140s.

When I was at the US Open, I watched alot of serves up close on the side courts and didn't think the ones that registered at 100 mph looked insanely fast. I would say I could probably hit 100mph on occasion, but can't make the claim without the radar. It just didn't seem all that fast to me from watching.

So the question is, at what level of play can you say that a decent sample of the players would be hitting 100 mph first serves regularly?

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks guys,i just remember i maybe should be alittle more humble than ive been the last few days.
but that does not affect me knowing my serve is 100mph.
But hey thanks for your good post smoothtennis

JavierLW
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't know why people act like 100mph is so fast, when the pros can regularly hit 120s, 130s, and some even 140s.

When I was at the US Open, I watched alot of serves up close on the side courts and didn't think the ones that registered at 100 mph looked insanely fast. I would say I could probably hit 100mph on occasion, but can't make the claim without the radar. It just didn't seem all that fast to me from watching.

So the question is, at what level of play can you say that a decent sample of the players would be hitting 100 mph first serves regularly?

4.5? Certainly not at 3.5, and I doubt it is at 4.0 either. (except maybe in your neck of the woods)

You're right, 100mph is not fast compared to the pros, but I think it's starting to get to the point where it's almost impossible to pull off consistantly without good fluid technique which I dont see a whole lot of at 3.5 or even 4.0 in my area.

(some people can fire in some 100mph serves with their arm but they go in about half the time, are mostly all in the same place, and then they start complaining because their arm hurts)

Not to say this guy has bad form or anything, Im just measuring how fast the ball seems to travel across the court and it doesnt seem like it's 100mph.

I know video makes things seem slower then in real life, but if you can imagine how it would be like returning that serve it's not 100mph.

I think 80-85 mph is actually a decent speed at 3.5 for most people (especially if you are consistant and have excellent placement).

It's not so slow that you'd say "that was a really slow serve", yet it's not noticably fast either, and if it has a ton of spin that could create additional problems for your opponent.

Tennisman912
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Raiden031,

I would agree with JavierLW and say most at the 4.5 + level can serve over 100 consistently, certainly 5.0. Now they may choose not to all the time but that is a discussion for another day. By 4.5 you have pretty good technique all around. And I also agree with the others that said it may sound impressive to a lot of people, but it really isn’t that fast. Now if you are averaging 120+ (which Federer doesn't do most matches but could if so inclined) I would be a little more impressed. The best servers I know are so much more relaxed in their motion than most people.

A 100 mph serve that isn’t moved around is going to be hit well by most advanced players.

What scares me most is that a few actually thought the serve was 100mph. Maybe it is time to start another thread with the same video and maybe things will be "different this time."

Good tennis

TM

Thirteen
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Because 10 MPH is just sooooooooooooo easy to add to your serve, right?

I guess I should tell Andy Roddick that he should be serving 165 by now.

He should just add 10mph ten times and serve 255mph instead of trying to add 100mph at a time. It's much easier that way.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
He should just add 10mph ten times and serve 255mph instead of trying to add 100mph at a time. It's much easier that way.

Pfft, that's old school stuff. I take the cube root of my serve speed.

J011yroger
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Pfft, that's old school stuff. I take the cube root of my serve speed.

You do know what a cube root is right?

J

Okazaki Fragment
02-09-2009, 02:04 PM

J

I was told there wasn't going to be any math.

Nanshiki
02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

J

His serve is the cube root of mine :D

JK...

Mada
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM

J

I think he meant ^4. Either way, I hate math.

WildVolley
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I would say 4.5, but it really depends on the age of the players. My best high school player was probably a 5.0, but he rarely hit a first serve over 90mph. He relied on his topspin and kick serves to start the points and didn't go for aces.

I can hit around 100mph all the time on my first serves, but unless I mix them up or add spin, even 3.5s can usually block them back into the court. At first, you can rattle lower level players who aren't used to seeing that speed. But once they realize they can just block the ball back, it isn't that effective.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Do you think it's possible, as a coach for HS, that maybe still growing 15-17 year olds just have trouble hitting fast first serves? Fast as in over 100 consistently.??
Seems older farts, with much less time playing tennis, can really crack the serves while HS'ers barely dribble it over at 90-100 mph, even when they're over 6' tall.
Just a question. I KNOW you highschoolers will beat the pants off us old farts, but maybe us old farts have a slight jump on first serve speed from the beginning.
My years, same thing.... #1 AAA player, the following year #2 for Div11 college, barely hit his first serves anything over 80mph. He was 6'2" tall! Chose a twist and topspin slice instead of flat firsts.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM

J

Yes. My serve = around 100 MPH (video to come, hopefully tonight).

Estimated serve speed: still working on crossing the net.

Sovereignty
02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Do you think it's possible, as a coach for HS, that maybe still growing 15-17 year olds just have trouble hitting fast first serves? Fast as in over 100 consistently.??
Seems older farts, with much less time playing tennis, can really crack the serves while HS'ers barely dribble it over at 90-100 mph, even when they're over 6' tall.
Just a question. I KNOW you highschoolers will beat the pants off us old farts, but maybe us old farts have a slight jump on first serve speed from the beginning.
My years, same thing.... #1 AAA player, the following year #2 for Div11 college, barely hit his first serves anything over 80mph. He was 6'2" tall! Chose a twist and topspin slice instead of flat firsts.

Ya, I guess that is because you guys have your finished bodies, while we are still growing.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
And you will grow, get strong, and once again, beat the pants off us :confused::confused:

WildVolley
02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Seems older farts, with much less time playing tennis, can really crack the serves while HS'ers barely dribble it over at 90-100 mph, even when they're over 6' tall.....

I don't think it is necessarily a physical issue with a lot of the best high school players, though some really don't develop the strength and power until they are closer to 20. I think it is usually mental.

The top high school players were usually serious junior players in their early teens. When they were 12, they won matches by being more consistent than their opponents, not by blowing them off the court. I think a lot of these guys still play it a little too safe at the high school level rather than developing power and taking more risks.

Since my best player was almost never double faulting, I was trying to encourage him to go for more easy points on his first serve, but it never stuck.

LeeD, as you know, serving is really technique and timing based. Maybe you were just one of those people who could always rip the ball. I'm past my physical peak, but my serve is still improving. Every once in a while I hit a ball around 110mph or more and it feels effortless. The next day nothing works and I'm struggling to hit 100mph. With the proper technique, I believe most healthy and athletic men can learn to hit 100mph without too much difficulty.

NickC
02-10-2009, 07:03 AM
A friend of mine could crack 120 as a sophomore in HS. It was measured with a radar gun at an ATP tournament. Before you go off and call me out on anything, the kid was top 30 in the country in the 16s at the time. He's now top 25 in the 18s.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Good you answered.
I assume your friend was basically fully grown.
Some 18's in my day could hit decent serves, but not many.
As a 24 year old beginner in tennis, I could hit the hardest serves of anyone in the SanFrancisco area by my 3rd year. NOT better, just faster.
Of course, by my 5th year, I was physically declining already:confused::confused: