PDA

View Full Version : 2 hand forehand/footwork help

Milik
02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I been using a 2 handed forehand and backhand for so long. I used to be able to be able to create sick and twisted angles. Now everything just goes into to middle of the court. My HS coach said it's because of my lack of footwork. So how would I improve my footwork?

Also how I been trying to take the ball super earlier the way seles/bartoli and santoro do. I get it and get some type of angle but not the power that I use to. Can someone please help me. I have my first competition in a few weeks, and I want to have a good showing against our rivals.

Slicendicer
02-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Jump rope... sprints... plyometric jumps... lateral and back peddling drills...

LeeD
02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
All the above, but main ding, TURN YOUR SHOULDERS, move forward, and follow thru !!
Maybe you USED to think you can hit good angles with power. You're in high school, you HAVE NOT hit very many two handed strokes. In fact, most players here have hit more than 5 times as many groundstrokes than you, most triple that.
Maybe your old competition was a really low level too....

CoachingMastery
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
The secret to creating angles with a two-handed forehand and backhand is to stay more sideways within the contact phase. This allows the racquet head to get more outside the ball without pulling the ball. Just like angle volleys, turn more away from your target and you will create more angles.

Footwork is always a premium especially with two-handed strokes. However, when players start 'steering' the ball or trying to play safe, they tend to face the net more. This forces the player to 'push' the racquet more square and hence you end up hitting more down the middle.

Try this: Aim at the left net post with your shot, but face your belly button to the far right fence through contact. You will feel the racquet getting around the ball better and end up with not just better angles, but more optimal spin to get your shots to dip.

Milik
02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
^^^^ Thank You So Much!!!!!