PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about USTA tournaments?

goober
02-27-2005, 08:46 AM
I am getting a little bored with league and ladder play lately. It seems like I am playing the same guys over and over. I am thinking that maybe playing singles in USTA competitions may be the answer. What are your experiences with them? Do they take up friday and the entire weekend? Should I drop one level below my usual level of play for tournaments because I have heard that what people typically do?

lemurballs
02-27-2005, 09:56 AM
What other tournaments would you play other than USTA events?... You don't really have a choice do you? In my experience, most non-sanctioned events are hardly competitive if not recreational.

Leagues are good for winter play to keep in shape and stay on your game. Tournaments are the real focus.

goober
02-27-2005, 10:05 AM
What other tournaments would you play other than USTA events?... You don't really have a choice do you?

Well actually there are a fair number of nonUSTA tourneys in my area. Generally these are held at country clubs/tennis centers and even some public parks. I know of two that were held within the last month. The problem one was a charity event and was open with no seeding. There were guys from 2.5 to 5.0 level. The other trouney had a self rating system but were using some A-D rating system which I was not really familiar with.

Cruzer
02-27-2005, 03:38 PM
One downside of tournaments is that you can spend a lot time sitting around waiting to play. My only other beef is sometimes you have to play no ad scoring in the early rounds of a tournament. However this is mostly compensated by the fact you get to play three sets, none of this stupid 10 point super tie break that has been forced down the throats of USTA league players.

tennisnj
02-28-2005, 06:51 AM
In some sections, it's very difficult to play in USTA events. I am a member of the Eastern Section & unfortunately most of the tournaments are 50+ miles away minimum from where I live. It's a difficult sell to pay $50 for a tournament 100 miles away if you're going to lose 0 & 0 in the first round. Even more difficult if you have to rent a hotel room for the weekend if you win a round or two. Most of the tournaments in my area aren't USTA sanctioned for that reason. They get better crowds & are a bit more flexible in their requirements. The County Open & other assorted tournaments aren't USTA sanctioned & fortunately don't play super tiebreakers or compromise scoring like so many of the USTA leagues.

Geezer Guy
02-28-2005, 07:04 AM
I have been playing USTA tournaments for several years, and like them for the most part. I'm lucky in that there are several each year here in KC, so I don't have far to commute or hotel expenses. In USTA, there's no choice of "dropping down a level". You are what you are, and that's where you play - the good thing is that everyone is about the same level.

Depending on the number of people that enter, you may have one or two matches on Friday and one or two on Saturday, and one or two on Sunday (if you're lucky). I've been very successful in some, but twice I've lost in the first round to the guy that went on to win the tournament. (Both times I was the only person that pushed them to 3 sets.) Anyway, my complaint is that if you lose the first round, you're out. I think they should have at least 1 consolation round, so you'd get to play at least twice.

mctennis
02-28-2005, 07:22 AM
The USTA is an overpaid group of elitists that THINK they know what is best for the game. They have this misconception about what they can do to get "minorities" ( or whatever term they want to use today) into the game. That isn't the answer to have a half day "open" sesson of having racquets and balls available to play. Tennis ( as anyone who plays knows) takes practice, practice, practice. It takes money for " proper" lessons and you can learn to play ( for fun) without lessons. They tend to think this will bring the next superstar from the downstrodden parts of the USA to be the next U.S.Open champ.
They also make it that you have to be a member to be in just about any tournament that involves tennis. For what? A bunch of $5 trophys or ribbons? Any area can do the same thing without involving the USTA. Look at the ALTA tennis association in Atlanta. The USTA is so ****ed at them the new president of the USTA had a meeting with them to bring them into the fold. I hope they told him where to get off.
The USTA is always changing groups ( team) ratings and where they can play their tournaments. One year your group is a 3.0 next year your moved to a 3.5. Only to be changed the next year. They have NO clue.
I have no use for the USTA and see no real reason to belong. A waste of money and all you gte is a "free" subscription to TENNIS magazine.
One year at the ATP tournament they had a "free" tent set up. You got one "free" softdrink and some chips. OH boy I'm glad I joined this organization. ha-ha.

tennisnj
02-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Mctennis, I agree 100% with the so-called "perks" of the USTA. Whoop-dee-do, some of us can get US Open tickets a few weeks before the "general public." Only 1 problem; the general public still somehow manages to get better tickets. Nice to see my membership gets me in the nosebleeds each & every time. Not only that, but my membership gets me $8 burgers & $4 sodas @ the Open. Way to go USTA! Oh & let's not forget about Tennis Magazine, sorry, but there are much better tennis periodicals if you do enough searching. I never understood why every day @ the Open that it wasn't "USTA Day." Christ we pay for the entire 2+ weeks, we should have discounts on everything @ the facility, not just "Member Day." (Which they conveniently schedule for when most kids are in school anyways.) Ok enough ranting & raving, Mctennis, feel free to add.

tennis-n-sc
02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I have found USTA tournaments in the Southern Region to be fairly well run events that generally draw a good number of participants. I agree that the USTA is out of touch with the rank and file members but I haven't seen an alternative choice with the exception of ALTA in the Greater Atlanta Area. Some other entity needs to give the USTA some good old fashioned competition. Regarding the U.S. Open, what a great platform to recognize the USTA members but it would take place without any members paying dues. It is the only thing the USTA does that generates enough revenue to sustain all those high paying jobs. If you are dissatisfied enough, start another organization. It might be surprising how many people would leave the USTA.