PDA

View Full Version : The semi-western backhand grip club

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
This is a group for anyone who has a semi-western one-handed backhand grip.

Current members:

oneguy21
Ballinbob
mdjenders
d-quik
halalula1234
RoddickAce

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
this should be in the odds and ends in section, but it'll get moved so its cool.

And add me to the list. I've become a full out topspin monkey now lol

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Alright I guess a mod will move it. I thought you had an Eastern though.

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I changed from a semi-western forehand grip to full western, and from an eastern backhand to a semiwestern backhand. i'm telling you lol, i've become a topspin monkey.

and I thought you had a 2hbh? are you decided on the 1hbh now?

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I changed from a semi-western forehand grip to full western, and from an eastern backhand to a semiwestern backhand. i'm telling you lol, i've become a topspin monkey.

and I thought you had a 2hbh? are you decided on the 1hbh now?

Yes, I've always had a one-handed backhand - don't know what you're smokin...haha

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
don't know what you're smokin...haha

I bet you'd like to know lol:):)

Anyway, I wonder how many other people use this grip. i'm curious to see...

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I want to know too. It seems as if most one-handers use an Eastern...not many use semi-western (extreme eastern).

LeeD
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Eastern, with a touch of continental.
If you hold the racket fingers together sorta hammer grip, you get all the topspin you'd ever want, sometimes too much. No need for full Western.
Kinda **** the racket back close to 90 degrees to your hitting arm, and allow your racket to come thru the ball.
Ala Sampras's tops.

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Eastern, with a touch of continental.
If you hold the racket fingers together sorta hammer grip, you get all the topspin you'd ever want, sometimes too much. No need for full Western.
Kinda **** the racket back close to 90 degrees to your hitting arm, and allow your racket to come thru the ball.
Ala Sampras's tops.

If that works for you, then good, but I'm afraid you can't be a member.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Sob, sob, sbo:cry::cry:
I'd rather use a grip that's proven and actually works in match play.

oneguy21
02-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Semi-western can work for some people.

Ballinbob
02-08-2009, 06:44 PM

this grip does work in match play lol. it sucks for low balls, but I just slice those. Otherwise, this grip is great because high balls aren't that bad. For most people handling high balls on their 1hbh causes them alot of trouble, and this grip makes it alot easier to control those.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
This is a group for anyone who has a semi-western one-handed backhand grip.

Current members:

Oneguy21
Ballinbob

Dude, there's already a thread on this, covering EVERY one handed backhand.

Can't we all just get along? :)

mdjenders
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
please add me to the club. i love the semi-western for a loopy one-hander!

halalula1234
02-10-2009, 03:21 AM
yep. Add me, I have the eastern fh and western Bh. SO i just flit my fh around to hit a bh and i love the spin i get and the sound it makes. PING*

Djokovicfan4life
02-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Been done already. Just FYI, these clubs all get moved to O & E eventually. That's why you haven't seen them before. There's been a SW forehand thread for awhile.

Matt

Slicendicer
02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Why would I want to belong to a club that would have a member like me?

d-quik
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
wait i got a question. if i use a semi-western forehand grip, then turn my racquet around at hit the same side of the stringbed for the backhand as the forehand, and grip the frame the same way as on the forehand (so i am clenching the racquet all the time) is that a semi-western backhand?

Sublime
02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
wait i got a question. if i use a semi-western forehand grip, then turn my racquet around at hit the same side of the stringbed for the backhand as the forehand, and grip the frame the same way as on the forehand (so i am clenching the racquet all the time) is that a semi-western backhand?

Yes.

In fact Navarro (the girl who eliminated Venus at the AO) plays this way... well she cheats more towards a full western FH and Eastern BH, but similar to what you described.

RoddickAce
02-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Just switched to this grip recently (very recently), count me in!

OvertheFence
02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
this grip does work in match play lol. it sucks for low balls, but I just slice those. Otherwise, this grip is great because high balls aren't that bad. For most people handling high balls on their 1hbh causes them alot of trouble, and this grip makes it alot easier to control those.

good for high balls eh :P? I might try out this grip today. Ive always had a really bad problem w those on the backhand side.

Ballinbob
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
^^^ Exactly! Definitely try it out, I promise you'll see some difference. I love this grip, you really get alot of spin with it and high balls are easier.

I say give it a try for sure

Rickson
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
You were beaten to the punch a long time ago, oneguy.

the semi western grip forehand group (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=179177)

oneguy21
02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
You were beaten to the punch a long time ago, oneguy.

the semi western grip forehand group (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=179177)

this is for the backhand grip

Djokovicfan4life
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
this is for the backhand grip

We one handers should be united, regardless of our grips.

Bud
02-15-2009, 08:21 PM
yep. Add me, I have the eastern fh and western Bh. SO i just flit my fh around to hit a bh and i love the spin i get and the sound it makes. PING*

Western BH? Lol!

Djokovicfan4life
02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Western BH? Lol!

His contact point must be head height or higher, hahahahaha!

cxw0106
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
1. When using semi-western grip, at the contact point, is the racket face perpendicular to the ground?

2. What about handling a high ball, at the contact point, is the racket face still perpendicular to the ground? or slightly closed?

3. During the start of back swing, is the racquet face closed?

4. If #4 is the case, is there pronation during forward swing to contact point?

5. Is there supination after contact and during follow through?

Thanks.

Sublime
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
1. When using semi-western grip, at the contact point, is the racket face perpendicular to the ground?

2. What about handling a high ball, at the contact point, is the racket face still perpendicular to the ground? or slightly closed?

I find it best not to think about those things. Find your ideal contact point and swing through that point from your take back.

3. During the start of back swing, is the racquet face closed?

Open.. maybe a little closed, but nothing like the FH.

5. Is there supination after contact and during follow through?
Thanks.

Depends on if you're looking to add a bunch of topspin for a rally ball or flatten out for a winner.

Jonny S&V
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Lol, so half the clay-courters with one-handers (and Kuerten) can't hit a decent one in match-play?

Count me in, hoping to get some vids up soon of my groundstrokes, weather needs to get nice though... :neutral:

J011yroger
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Count me in, hoping to get some vids up soon of my groundstrokes, weather needs to get nice though... :neutral:

Hey man, do you live in the Northeast or am I thinking of someone else?

J

Jonny S&V
04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey man, do you live in the Northeast or am I thinking of someone else?

J

Probably someone else, I'm from the m i d w e s t. If I ever take a trip out east, however, I WILL be giving you a call. :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, seeing as the founder of this feeble spin-off is banned, I suggest that you SW grippers mosey on over to my (and Rickson's before me) thread for your one handed backhand discussions.

J011yroger
04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Probably someone else, I'm from the m i d w e s t. If I ever take a trip out east, however, I WILL be giving you a call. :)

Good stuff, not easy losing your mind.

Be sure to fire me an e-mail if you ever come over.

J

paulfreda
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I hit with a SW BH grip too. Add me to the list
=========================
As for the 4 Q's from cxw106 ....
There is no one way to hit with any grip, inlcuding the SWBH.
Sometimes I have the face a bit open on takeback, sometimes closed, often hit with face squared at contact but others it is closed but rising very fast or open but slicing down. Technique is what it is all about.

Jonny S&V
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I hit with a SW BH grip too. Add me to the list
=========================
As for the 4 Q's from cxw106 ....
There is no one way to hit with any grip, inlcuding the SWBH.
Sometimes I have the face a bit open on takeback, sometimes closed, often hit with face squared at contact but others it is closed but rising very fast or open but slicing down. Technique is what it is all about.

Too bad the OP was banned for one reason or another...

crazyups
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I started working on the sw backhand because I hit with sw forehand and I don't have to change grips. Looks promising so far, feels more consistent with the extra topspin compared to my eastern one hand backhand. Now I just have to work it alot.

LeeD
11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I was a naysayer until last year.....
Now I use the SW backhand grip sometimes to counter the high bouncers that land about 6' inside the baseline.
But I SLICE the ball, hard and low, usually CC, and make the baseliner dig and scoop it out of the ground. And it takes this old fart less energy than topspins!:shock::shock:

J011yroger
11-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I am sorry...are you saying you hit a slice with a sw backhand grip?

Do you even know what a SW backhand grip is?

Reed Richards couldn't hit a slice BH with a SW backhand grip.

J

LeeD
11-29-2009, 08:08 AM
EASY...
I've used easternbackhand for topspinners for years. Going farther away from conti just gives me SW and almost W backhand grips.
Remember, I'm old. SW backhand lets me strike balls that are head high to just overhead with a solid stroke.
I often play against a former #1 for CalPoly, who's 6'6" tall. He loves to twist/kick about 10" above the top of my head. Returns with conti volley grip are slow, and he stays back to crush a groundie. Returns with SW grip sliced should be faster, lower, and skiddy, so hopefully, he might just hit normal groundies.....:cry::cry: which beat me, of course.

Frank Silbermann
11-29-2009, 10:51 AM
this grip does work in match play lol. it sucks for low balls, but I just slice those. Ah, but the main reason for topspinning the backhand is to hit passing shots (that's just about the _only_ time Rod Laver used his). Passing shots are hit off of approach shots, which are often sliced low, and off of volleys which are almost always sliced low. You may be able to get away with it now, when everyone is trying to be a baseline basher, but you're setting yourself up for defeat when net-rushing comes back into style.

LeeD
11-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, no chance... :)
There's tons of guys on this board who tunnel vision only with TOPSPIN shots in mind, saying nothing else is worth anything, and only EXTREME topspin makes you a "real" tennis player.
How could you not think like that? Seems most everyone else does, especially the younger generation who WILL be taking over advanced tennis pretty soon.....:shock::shock:

Ripper014
11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a friend who has used this grip for about 35 years... I could always count a weak return if I just hit something low and sliding away from his backhand... I learned not to hit anything high to that side into his comfortable hitting zone.

I changed his serve this year... making it more of a weapon... and much more consistant. I have already been asked to do a project next spring... to change his backhand to something more conventional... eastern backhand here we come.

LeeD
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Why change it, if you're afraid to hit to his high backhand?
Instead, ADD a grip that allows strengths against low skidders...might I recommend either EBH or conti backhand grips?
I'm working on the SW gripped SLICE backhand off head high and higher incoming balls. I want the shot to barely skim the net, skid and slide shin high to my opponent's mostly western or SW forehands.
And I often use a conti with EFH, yes FOREHAND flavor to really slice some low skidders with sidespin.

Ripper014
11-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Why change it, if you're afraid to hit to his high backhand?
Instead, ADD a grip that allows strengths against low skidders...might I recommend either EBH or conti backhand grips?
I'm working on the SW gripped SLICE backhand off head high and higher incoming balls. I want the shot to barely skim the net, skid and slide shin high to my opponent's mostly western or SW forehands.
And I often use a conti with EFH, yes FOREHAND flavor to really slice some low skidders with sidespin.

I don't believe in having multiple grips for each shot... I think it limits the player. I believe they are better off having one grip that can hit all shots. So one grip for serving... one for volleying.. one for forehands...and one for backhands. And since he asked me to teach him... that is how I will go about it.

paulfreda
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I am sorry...are you saying you hit a slice with a sw backhand grip?
Do you even know what a SW backhand grip is?
Reed Richards couldn't hit a slice BH with a SW backhand grip. J

I hit with a SW BH grip and the slice on high balls is one of its principle advantages. But it is not hit like a Continental European or American slice. You pre pronate the forearm almost as much as possible and you DO NOT RELEASE the wrist in to the ball, you hold it on thru the shot. It results in a strong cut that stays low and turns those defensive high BH balls in to an offensive shot. It works well until the ball gets well below the knee. Then I weaken the grip to EBH to get it up and over.

BTW JR, I have seen a video of you hitting your BH slice on high balls and I was quite impressed.
The backswing looks like you wrap the frame around your neck.
Can you elaborate on how you hit it ?
What are the keys you think about and what technique do you use beginning with the grip ?
Thanks

LeeD
11-30-2009, 06:51 AM
That's what I need to work on.
I assume rackethead faces the sky on prep.
I don't mind multi grips on my backhands because I"m supposed to recognise the height of the incoming ball.
Right now, I use conti towards EFH for hard slices on slower balls, and EBH for normal flats, sides, and tops. Adding one more grip for balls from waist to above my head just adds to my repetoire.
Forehands, I use conti for slices only and SW for tops, flats, and defensive wide slices.

Frank Silbermann
12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't believe in having multiple grips for each shot... I think it limits the player. I believe they are better off having one grip that can hit all shots. So one grip for serving... one for volleying.. one for forehands...and one for backhands. And since he asked me to teach him... that is how I will go about it. You can hit that way (many pros did) and you can teach that way, but have also been many great players who used more than one grip for a shot.

Don Budge used the same grip for all his backhands -- flat, slightly sliced, and slightly topped. Laver used the same grip for all his backhands -- with all different varieties of spin. Guillermo Vilas used an Eastern backhand grip for topspin, and a continental grip for backspin, as did Bill Tilden.

Of course, it's not the same to vary your grip for spin versus varying it for height. You can choose your spin in plenty of time, but the ball's bounce might not always be predictable (e.g. it hits the tape on a clay court). Still, Tilden advocated switching towards Western for high balls while using eastern for most forehands, so I still say either approach is an option.

shazbot
12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I have a 1HBH and use a semi-western grip.

When I was teaching my self tennis (before I even knew what the different grips were called) that's what felt most natural for me.

LeeD
12-02-2009, 07:38 AM
You do, but can you slice low balls, topspin high balls, and topspin low balls?

Jonny S&V
12-02-2009, 10:38 AM
You do, but can you slice low balls, topspin high balls, and topspin low balls?

I have one, and yes.

tank_job
04-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Dunno if I should be added to this list.

My heel pad is on the top bevel (ie. eastern one handed backhand grip), but the base of my index knuckle is on the 8th bevel (one bevel left of the top bevel ie. semi-western one handed backhand grip)...

Does that mean I have;

A). An eastern one handed backhand grip

B). A semi-western one handed backhand grip with a 'pistol' grip (index finger spread out) instead of a 'hammer' grip (all knuckles together).

C). A hybrid in between an eastern one handed backhand grip and a semi western one handed backhand grip?

tank_job
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Wait... you flip your Eastern forehand around to a backhand grip?

That's impossible, it would mean your index knuckle would be over the 7th bevel;

http://www.busy-tennis-players.com/images/RacketButtCapWithNumbering.jpg

You would surely dislocate your wrist hitting like that.